Red Sox eyeing Anibal Sanchez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Red Sox eyeing Anibal Sanchez

The price only "goes up" if someone offers it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. –The Red Sox are in on starter Anibal Sanchez, who after Zack Greinke is the consensus second-best starter available on the free-agent market.

The Red Sox are one of several teams, according to a source, who have expressed interest in the 28-year-old right-hander, who has strong links to the Red Sox and general manager Ben Cherington.

Cherington was overseeing international scouting for the Red Sox in 2001 when the club signed Sanchez as an international free agent from Venezuela. And seven years ago, Cherington was co-GM at the GM meetings at this same locale when the Red Sox set in motion a trade that sent the then-minor-league Sanchez, along with shortstop Hanley Ramirez, to the Marlins for Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell.

The Red Sox are exploring starters on the trade front as well.

[/QUOTE]

As long as they eye and don't buy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mef4---the problem is that we do need a solid No. 1 or 1.5 starter.  We should all know by now that neither Lester or Buchholz is mentally or tough enough to hold down that spot, and I would hope the front office realizes that too.  We have the money to spend and if they act judiciously with the funds at hand they should be able to make it happen.

[/QUOTE]

Sanchez will likely be nothing more than a #3 starter on the Sox, to expect him to perform as a #1 or 2 is setting him up to fail. 

But, since he is only 28, I believe a 4 year/$48 million deal might work, something the Sox would have no problem affording.

For the record, this is the type of deal I'd like to see them maxing out on for any player...maybe up to $60million for 4 years, for a bonafide ace or 5 tool player.

[/QUOTE]

CLOSE???? Sanchez looking for 6 yrs and 90 mil..... You were very close !!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mef4---the problem is that we do need a solid No. 1 or 1.5 starter.  We should all know by now that neither Lester or Buchholz is mentally or tough enough to hold down that spot, and I would hope the front office realizes that too.  We have the money to spend and if they act judiciously with the funds at hand they should be able to make it happen.

[/QUOTE]

Sanchez will likely be nothing more than a #3 starter on the Sox, to expect him to perform as a #1 or 2 is setting him up to fail. 

But, since he is only 28, I believe a 4 year/$48 million deal might work, something the Sox would have no problem affording.

For the record, this is the type of deal I'd like to see them maxing out on for any player...maybe up to $60million for 4 years, for a bonafide ace or 5 tool player.

[/QUOTE]

CLOSE???? Sanchez looking for 6 yrs and 90 mil..... You were very close !!!!

[/QUOTE]

don't think anhy team will offer him 6/90... in the end what he gets is what a GM is willing to offer him. he can seek all he wants. if he gets it or not is anoter thing (and unlikely)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

When a good player hits the free agent market, it is his agent's due dilligence to set the bar high on his ask.  Standard negotiating.  If anibal Sanchez were a house, and his ask price seemd very high, you, a prospective buyer would not just say "oh well, price is too high, I'll pass".  You'd come in with an offer more in line perfhaps with comparable homes that sold in the neighborhood.  And, if that gets you to the table, you'd probably settle on a number soemwhere in between.  Just because the Sanchez camp is asking for big dollars, doesn't mean that it is that number or bust.  Just standard negotiating opening.

Same thing people had trouble understanding in the Ortiz negotiations.  People were up in arms.  Whats taking so long?  Just give him his 2/24-26 and get it over with.  Well, thats where they ended up.  But, I guarantee the Ortiz camp didn't come to the table saying "give us 2 years/26 mil."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The price only "goes up" if someone offers it.

[/QUOTE]

Don't see it happening. He did look awfully good in playoffs, but was 9-13 for the season. His history of arm troubles will limit the years. I could see 4 yrs, but have to believe there is some sanity among GM's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

My problems with him?
    A. Too much NL.
    B. Has a 4+ ERA vs. +.500 teams and a 5+ ERA in interleague play for his career.
    C. A middle rotation starter, especially in AL East.
    D. Contract doesn't fit the level of talent.
    E. Don't really buy into his playoff success much either especially against a Yankees team that looked like they could be no-hit by Luke Hochevar if he pitched against them.

He's a decent arm... $90-$100 mil decent? Hell no.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:
    [QUOTE]

My problems with him?
    A. Too much NL.
    B. Has a 4+ ERA vs. +.500 teams and a 5+ ERA in interleague play for his career.
    E. Don't really buy into his playoff success much either especially against a Yankees team that looked like they could be no-hit by Luke Hochevar if he pitched against them.

[/QUOTE]

yeah, if we're going to spend 100 mil we'd be better served picking up C Lee's contract from the phillies!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

My problems with him?
    A. Too much NL.

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

The one thing I never understood about MLB contracts is the sudden pay jump expected from players. Sanches made 8 mil. Now he wants his contract to double instantly to 16 a year? I understand that is the point of ree agency, pay your dues with a few slight underpayed seasons and get a payday on the open market but that should appear in the total contract. I would offer  12, 13 15, 16, 14.  I think 5 years 70-77 mil is what he is worth... that being said he probably will get the 6/90 he is looking for because the Jays are hard on this guy and that is the free agent market we are in right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

[QUOTE]

My problems with him?
    A. Too much NL.

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

Im high on this guy but not even 80 mil high. Id rather trade for and extend Josh Johnson. HUGE JJ fan tho so others may not agree 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My problems with him?
    A. Too much NL.

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

Im high on this guy but not even 80 mil high. Id rather trade for and extend Josh Johnson. HUGE JJ fan tho so others may not agree 

[/QUOTE]

What kind of package would you offer for the oft injured starter?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My problems with him?
    A. Too much NL.

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well I usually hate trade talk on this board because some of it is outrageous, but since you asked 

Ellsbury

Gecchin

Chris Carpenter

Cash Consideration

for 

Josh Johnson

Andrew Heaney

Ellsbury ,even tho I like him a lot, can have his contract season somewhere else because the Sox are not signing him. Gecchin who has a clear block in Young Will (Middlebrooks) is a good prospect that deepens the Marlins Farm at 3b which they need due to the Hanley trade, and Chris Carpenter as an asside to add a pitcher in the mix. Some Cash to sweeten the deal is always nice 

Sox get Josh who as I stated I like and has #2 stuff at similar Sanchez money 5/75-80 (altho he does seem to have paper mache tendons), and a young pitching prospect and future #4 or 5 starter or a solid Pen guy. 

(I would LOVE to get Jose Fernandez who my riend who is a marlins fan says is King Felix second coming but even the above trade is a stretch)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My problems with him?
    A. Too much NL.

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well I usually hate trade talk on this board because some of it is outrageous, but since you asked 

Ellsbury

Gecchin

Chris Carpenter

Cash Consideration

for 

Josh Johnson

Andrew Heaney

Ellsbury ,even tho I like him a lot, can have his contract season somewhere else because the Sox are not signing him. Gecchin who has a clear block in Young Will (Middlebrooks) is a good prospect that deepens the Marlins Farm at 3b which they need due to the Hanley trade, and Chris Carpenter as an asside to add a pitcher in the mix. Some Cash to sweeten the deal is always nice 

Sox get Josh who as I stated I like and has #2 stuff at similar Sanchez money 5/75-80 (altho he does seem to have paper mache tendons), and a young pitching prospect and future #4 or 5 starter or a solid Pen guy. 

(I would LOVE to get Jose Fernandez who my riend who is a marlins fan says is King Felix second coming but even the above trade is a stretch)

[/QUOTE]

You mean Garrin Cecchini I would think, right? I think the marlins have their OF taken care of though and might not want to take on another 8-10M for Ells. Its a good starting point though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

You just about hit the nail on the head Notin....

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/anibal-sanchez-wants-six-year-90mm-contract.html

[/QUOTE]

That is a lot.  

Some team out there will offer that to Sanchez.

I hope Boston goes after other good pitchers out there such as McCarthy, Anderson (via trade) or Marcum.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Has a 4+ ERA vs. +.500 teams 

Many team aces have this ERA vs better teams.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

personally i think the pricetag will be too much and too long. i would be willing to overspend on a 3 year deal but nothing longer than that

[/QUOTE]

All i know the sox next signing or trade will have to be for another starting pitcher. sanchez may be a high cost but their are other options if the price is too high. I thin k the sox still aprox. 80 million to spend before luxary tax tales an effect.

Trade with the mets that involves Salty and prospects to land Dickey. Work some long term deal with a knuckle baller for the simple fact their arms have a longer healthier and less injured prone.

Ot just sign free agent Haren.

Lester Dickey Bucholtz Doubront Lackey ( if his arm is ready will be an extra bonus to the rotation) or Lester Bucholtz Haren Doubront Lackey.

The sox will still need  to address another closer to work with Bailey ie marmol

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'm a fan of Miami pitching prospect Jose Fernandez as well, but it's a stretch to draw a comparison to Felix Hernandez. The 20-year-old Fernandez has never pitched above High A ball while Hernandez had made 40 MLB starts at the current age of Fernandez.

I am somewhat surprised that Fernandez did not make the preliminary Top 50 pitching prospects list released last month by John Sickels at Minor League Ball:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474586/preliminary-top-50-pitching-prospects-list-for-2013

Victor Sanchez, Seattle's 17-year-old prospect ranked 44th among pitchers, has drawn comparisons to Felix Hernandez:

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20120725/SPORTS/707259871

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I think that 6/90 is WAY too much.  2 years too many, and 2 million per year too much.  But I wouldn't be suprised if a pitching poor franchise ponied up such a contract; such is the state of FA when it comes to starting pitching.  At 4/55 with incentives and a possible 5th year option, I would support the Sox signing Sanchez because I think he is likely better than Lackey, Doubrong or Morales/Aceves, making him slot in at #3, which is about where he belongs in a good rotation. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

personally i think the pricetag will be too much and too long. i would be willing to overspend on a 3 year deal but nothing longer than that

[/QUOTE]

Anibal would probably fit very well, hes low key and came out of our farm like Clay and Jon.  We would still need a #1 and then allow Lackey and Doub to fight it out.  I don't see Lackeys contract making him a lock to stay in the rotation.  I also don't feel the young guns will be ready until next season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Many teams can agree on roughly how much a top free agent is worth.

The more important question is: How much will it take in terms of salary and yearsto get the top free agents to sign?

The winning bidder will most likely need to bid more than the free agent is worth ... it's the nature of the market.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Many teams can agree on roughly how much a top free agent is worth.

The more important question is: How much will it take in terms of salary and yearsto get the top free agents to sign?

The winning bidder will most likely need to bid more than the free agent is worth ... it's the nature of the market.

[/QUOTE]

True, and although signing and overpaying often does not seem like a good idea, getting a FA does not cost anything in player development costs (think of all that is spent on hundreds of prospects for just a handful to produce), salary through developmental years, and other costs.

Sections
Shortcuts