Red Sox eyeing Anibal Sanchez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Red Sox eyeing Anibal Sanchez

5/70M...Its an overpay IMO for a middle of the rotation starter with possible arm issues, but this is FA were talking about. with a clause for a possible issue with his arm like lackeys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sanchez has put up good innings numbers for 3 straight years....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Sanchez would help.  As others have mentioned on this thread: it comes down to cost of acquisition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

bump

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Sanchez would help.  As others have mentioned on this thread: it comes down to cost of acquisition.

...and if Hunter is getting $26M/2, Sanchez will be a lot more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Do you think that the overall market is effected by Hunter's deal?  I think it might be more apples and oranges than that.  I mean, yes, Sanchez is going to get a longer, bigger deal.  But we knew that.  he is in his prime, and decent starting pitching is at a premium.  i don't know if Hunter's deal has any bearing in the Sanchez market ... unless Torii's inflated contract inflates the market overall ... I don't know.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe, maybe no, but I'm thinking it won't help.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

All things being equal, I do think the Hunter signing affects Sanchez's asking price.  Or at least it reflects what he can expect to get.  There are 4 other teams in the division and 14 other teams in the AL who now need to be that much more agressive if they hope to compete for a WC spot.  That might very well mean another team whose need is mostly starting pitching, will be agressive in their offer to Sanchez, who is arguably the best starter available (taking age and recent performance into account).  I expect Kuroda and Haren to benefit as well.

That said, the Toronto trade has somewhat of a deflationary pull on Sanchez's value, in that it takes an agressive team (the Blue Jays) out of the picture.  So we will have to see.  But as I said earlier, I will not be surprised to see a 6/90 offer, maybe even higher with incentives...Just not from BC and company.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

All things being equal, I do think the Hunter signing affects Sanchez's asking price.  Or at least it reflects what he can expect to get.  There are 4 other teams in the division and 14 other teams in the AL who now need to be that much more agressive if they hope to compete for a WC spot.  That might very well mean another team whose need is mostly starting pitching, will be agressive in their offer to Sanchez, who is arguably the best starter available (taking age and recent performance into account).  I expect Kuroda and Haren to benefit as well.

That said, the Toronto trade has somewhat of a deflationary pull on Sanchez's value, in that it takes an agressive team (the Blue Jays) out of the picture.  So we will have to see.  But as I said earlier, I will not be surprised to see a 6/90 offer, maybe even higher with incentives...Just not from BC and company.

Not only Hunter.  Big Papi, David Ross, Baker, , Iwakuma, etc all signed a contract already.  Most of them have got 5.5 mm or more plus incentives.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

personally i think the pricetag will be too much and too long. i would be willing to overspend on a 3 year deal but nothing longer than that

I read today the Sox are also trying to find a taker for Aceves and Lackey which I feel might be a good move sooner, rather than later.  I'm just not sure who would take a chance on Lackey at this point.  Signing Anibal would be a solid move.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Agreed.  There is high demand / low supply right now.  Sox would be smart to avoid getting into a bidding war for a #3 pitcher.  Sanchez would help, but I dont think he is worth the John Lackey esque contract (5 yrs / 16m per) that he is going to get.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Do you think that the overall market is effected by Hunter's deal?  I think it might be more apples and oranges than that.  I mean, yes, Sanchez is going to get a longer, bigger deal.  But we knew that.  he is in his prime, and decent starting pitching is at a premium.  i don't know if Hunter's deal has any bearing in the Sanchez market ... unless Torii's inflated contract inflates the market overall ... I don't know.

The Hunter deal certainly hurts our chances of bringing back Cody for anything less than 3 yrs / 25.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If anything , the Hunter contract shows that 3 yrs / 36 M for Napoli is a pipe dream.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

If anything , the Hunter contract shows that 3 yrs / 36 M for Napoli is a pipe dream.

And why is that?  Napoli has had one good year and it wasnt last year.... Hunter is older yes but he brings a lot more to the table than Napoli...better defender better offensively and a great clubhouse guy......does anyone even know how much Napoli is looking for?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

And why is that?  Napoli has had one good year and it wasnt last year.... Hunter is older yes but he brings a lot more to the table than Napoli...better defender better offensively and a great clubhouse guy......does anyone even know how much Napoli is looking for?

Napoli did not have one good year.  Napoli had one MVP caliber year.  Besides that, he's had five good years.  In a seven year career, he has a career OPS of .863.  At 31, he is right in his prime.  He also has a swing that is tailor made for Fenway and also has defensive versatility.  He draws walks and has a ton of power.

Torri's career OPS is .800.  The difference betwen .800 and .863 is the difference between an all-star and an above avg player.  Napoli draws more walks , has more power , is younger, can play C (his difficulties on D are overstated).  Napoli's upside is MVP.  His .863 career OPS shows that his 2011 wasnt as much as a fluke as ppl thought.  As mentioned, his swing is tailor made for Fenway. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Many of us are very concerned about spending John Henry's hard earned money. I am sure he appreciates that.   Anibal Sanchez is not the greatest , but he is a whole lot better than Aaron Cook.  I also would like to add, once again,  that I think Junichi Tazawa would make an excellent starting pitcher.   He should at least get a look in Spring training.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Napoli did not have one good year.  Napoli had one MVP caliber year.  Besides that, he's had five good years.  In a seven year career, he has a career OPS of .863.  At 31, he is right in his prime.  He also has a swing that is tailor made for Fenway and also has defensive versatility.  He draws walks and has a ton of power.

Torri's career OPS is .800.  The difference betwen .800 and .863 is the difference between an all-star and an above avg player.  Napoli draws more walks , has more power , is younger, can play C (his difficulties on D are overstated).  Napoli's upside is MVP.  His .863 career OPS shows that his 2011 wasnt as much as a fluke as ppl thought.  As mentioned, his swing is tailor made for Fenway. 

3/36 is indeed a pipedream for napoli.  But if they could get him for 4, he would be worth ponying up for.  I am sure he wants some long-term stability at this point in his career.  But if they can go 4, he is worth 14 million and change a year, given the Sox needs.  And, yeah, the Cody Ross camp popped some chanpagne when they saw that hunter deal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trades will be the best way to go.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what makes you think ben will make a good trade?  he has been terrible thus far...this is why i think he should just sign grienke

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

3/36 is indeed a pipedream for napoli.  But if they could get him for 4, he would be worth ponying up for.  I am sure he wants some long-term stability at this point in his career.  But if they can go 4, he is worth 14 million and change a year, given the Sox needs.  And, yeah, the Cody Ross camp popped some chanpagne when they saw that hunter deal.

Just another opinion but Napoli is built for Fenway in my opinion much like Cody Ross.  Just because Theo made a string of mistakes doesn't mean we should never take another risk on a guy like Mike or Anibal.  McCarthy is another who would probably be a nice fit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

what makes you think ben will make a good trade?  he has been terrible thus far...this is why i think he should just sign grienke

I know you don't get it and likely never will, but this isn't fantasy baseball where you can just choose the players you want.  If you aren't convinced by now why Greinke would never sign here, then you are literally blind, and clearly don't read other posts.  Never mind the fact the Sox aren't going to give a 100 plus million to a guy who refused to pose for a Sports Illustrated Cover because "it would only create more autograph seekers."  He isn't a fit here, there is zero interest on a mutual level, get over it...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Cherington should call Billy Beane and offer him Iglesias (since the A's need a SS) and another prospect or two for Brett Anderson. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Softlawes. Show Softlawes's posts

Just what the Red Sox need, another 2nd rate pitcher on a massive 1st rate pitcher contract.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Many of us are very concerned about spending John Henry's hard earned money. I am sure he appreciates that.   Anibal Sanchez is not the greatest , but he is a whole lot better than Aaron Cook.  I also would like to add, once again,  that I think Junichi Tazawa would make an excellent starting pitcher.   He should at least get a look in Spring training.

I agree, and have been saying this for a while now.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts