Red Sox eyeing Anibal Sanchez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Red Sox eyeing Anibal Sanchez

In response to toccooa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You have been saying give Hunter a look for a while now.

[/QUOTE]

very good. your a master of the obvious. Congrats..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trades will be the best way to go.

[/QUOTE]

Cherington should call Billy Beane and offer him Iglesias (since the A's need a SS) and another prospect or two for Brett Anderson. 

[/QUOTE]

It will take much more than that.

I suggested Lava, Tazawa and Cecchini, but maybe they'll take Vinicio or Lin instead of one of these guys. They may not want Iggy, but maybe sub him for Cecchini in the suggested trade above.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Trades will be the best way to go.

[/QUOTE]

Cherington should call Billy Beane and offer him Iglesias (since the A's need a SS) and another prospect or two for Brett Anderson. 

[/QUOTE]

It will take much more than that.

I suggested Lava, Tazawa and Cecchini, but maybe they'll take Vinicio or Lin instead of one of these guys. They may not want Iggy, but maybe sub him for Cecchini in the suggested trade above.

[/QUOTE]

Im not familiar with their farm system Moon. Do you know what their needs are?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Iggy would appear to be the anti-money ball player.  Money ball players have high OBP and good run rpoducing metrics, and defense is NOT held in the highest priority.  Iggy is quite the opposite.  It would also appear that Iggy is overpaid for the quality and time of service, since he is getting paid 3-4 times the league minimum, but playing like an absolutely overwhelmed rookie. 

btw, I believe Oakland, as a team, was in the lower half in defense in 2012, and still made it to the playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I belive some sabermatricians do value superb SS defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

You are right; some do, especially those in SF.  But across the bay, not so much.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Money ball players

Money ball players leave for more money from non-money-ball GM offers.

[/QUOTE]

I thought it was "greedy union slugs duping inept GMs."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Detroit is now focusing on Sanchez now. Mark my words Detroit is going to resign him. But don't worry Young Ben is getting ready to hire a hitting coach. So far Sweeney, Bailey, Lillibridge, Stewart, Carpenter ( who needed elbow surgery after waiting about 4 months for the compensation). Paid Youkillis' salary and got garbage for him, brilliant move in making Bard a starter which may have ruined him. Signed Cooke as a free agent. Heard all the BS about picking up a pitcher before the start of the season and was empowered by Larry Luchinno to do something big at the trade deadline.  None of this happened. Does anybody have any confidence in this guy ?I don't.  The only guy he picked up was Cody Ross and he is jerking him around on a contract.  Oh yeah I forgot the salary dump in mid August. In this deal we picked up a guy who is coming off Tommy John Surgery ( De Rosa) another pitcher who struggled at the major league level and a potential first baseman with a slow bat.

The only thing this guy has done is dump off salary including Scuttaro, Beckett, Agon, Crawford, and Punto and there is no doubt Larry Luchinno engineered that to save John Henry money. Why do you think Larry Luchinno's contract was renewed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The salary dump deal was one of the best deals any Sox GM has made in Sox history.

You want to give Larry credit for that (or is it criticism).

Scutaro was not leading us to the 2012 promiseland, so having Mortensen going forward and getting Ross, Shoppach and Padilla with the money saved was a great trade/deal in totality.

I hated the Youk trade, the Bard move to starter, and the lack of beefing up our Top of rotation SPs, but I think his hands (Wallet) were tied.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

Money ball players

[/QUOTE]

I remember in 2005, Billy Beane signed Frank Thomas to a one-year, $500,000 deal (What a bargain). 

In 2006, Thomas guided the A's to the AL West and the ALCS.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Money ball players

[/QUOTE]

I remember in 2005, Billy Beane signed Frank Thomas to a one-year, $500,000 deal (What a bargain). 

In 2006, Thomas guided the A's to the AL West and the ALCS.

[/QUOTE]

In 2003, the Sox signed David Ortiz for $1.25M.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In 2003, the Sox signed David Ortiz for $1.25M.

Theo's best move.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Iggy would appear to be the anti-money ball player.  Money ball players have high OBP and good run rpoducing metrics, and defense is NOT held in the highest priority.  Iggy is quite the opposite.  It would also appear that Iggy is overpaid for the quality and time of service, since he is getting paid 3-4 times the league minimum, but playing like an absolutely overwhelmed rookie. 

btw, I believe Oakland, as a team, was in the lower half in defense in 2012, and still made it to the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

That would kinda fit Redddick as well...Low OBP and not much plate discipline. But can smash the ball and has good D. So I guess hes go run producing going for him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's what we the forum thought about signing Sanchez.

[/QUOTE]

pike the hypocrite

[/QUOTE]

If you've got that big of a crush, ask him out already.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was pretty close with my "$80M/5 or more" call on November 9th, 2012...

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Notin has more quality posts on a consistent basis than anybody here. It is not even close.

[/QUOTE]

True: he has gotten my vote for "Poster of the Year" 2 years running.

I do think Sanchez will get $80M/5 or more. While I do not think he is the ace we need, it doesn't hurt to upgrade from a 5/6 slot starter to a 2/3 slot starter with potential to pitch like a number 1.

If we go after any high-priced player, I'd choose Sanchez and not Hamilton, Greinke, or Napoli. I still think trading for Brett Anderson is the best option, and I think I'd rather sign B McCarthy & S Marcum combined over signing Sanchez, but I doubt that will happen. If we sign 2 pitchers, we can then trade Doubront, Morales and Aceves (maybe Tazawa and others as well) as parts of deals to get the likes of Anderson and/or J. Upton.

Sections
Shortcuts