Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

It was a reckless act.  I am a safety nut.  No one should have to worry about that happening to them when they are at a game or anywhere other than a Frat Party.  He coud had killed someone.

Yes, I am ticked off at him and I want to see something done about it. 

[/QUOTE]

This has been an interesting discussion.  As I stated, I don't think we are far apart and your last post has captured the difference we have:  I'm not the opposite of a "safety nut" i.e. totally reckless....but think a certain amount of minor, unnecessary risk is acceptable as part of a free and fun life.

Of course I don't want either of my daughters to be hit by a flying beer can at a baseball celebration, for example.  But the chances of it happening are infinitesimally small and I'd prefer they ended up with tiny little scar over their eye than go through life (I am not claiming you are like this!  I am just extending the logic as there are people like this.) expecting the worst, afraid of their own shadow, demanding a perfect life and running to the courts when minor things happen to them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

And thats the big problem with this country. Talk to Gomes and see what he says. Why go running for the nearest ambulance chaser? No need. Im sure Gomes would take care of that man without lawyers involved. Unless of course all you care about is trying to get more money than this injury is really worth. Maybe because Ive already earned my money, this is why I think this way.

No, it's because you are a fair and decent person.  If the guy lost an eye, or was a model and suffered a major scar, etc....he should go after an appropriately huge amount of money.  But a (presumably) little scar at most?  It's nothing, and unless one is after something for nothing an apology/bat/tickets/costs is more than enough.

Thats my point. if his face was brually scarred or he lost some vision, then yes of course. But a tiny gash over the eye doesnt warrant all the lawyer noinsense. Id be willing to be that Gomes would make it right if given the chance.

OK so just to be clear, DRINKING AND DRIVING is AOK as long as no one is hurt badly, RIGHT?

Im not comparing this to D & D so please dont twist my word around to imply that.

Im commenting on this specific incident. If you dont agree with me thats fine, but dont make it look like I approve of drinking and driving. Thats a bit of a stretch and not appreciated.

I am not far off...You indicated because it wasn't a serious injury that a big deal should not be made of it.....So what if I throw a punch at someone in your family but I didn't connect or really hurt them.  Would you just let it go?  Drinking and driving does not ALWAYS produce an injury.....so in cases where no one is hurt are you still opposed to D&D? Or pick any reckless behavior you like - you are saying if there is no injury there is no problem....Use whatever analogy you like....If the can didn't hit anyone there would be no lawsuit (no injury) but a criminal act (RECKLESSNESS) was still committed.

You are comparing things that are illegal to start with to kicking a can, which is not illegal. Its illegal to drive drunk and punch someone if not defending yourself. Kicking a can isnt illegal...get it? There was no malicious intent when he kicked the can, so the severity of the injury is taken into consideration when considering representation.

Like I said, if you dont agree thats fine. but dont compare apples to oranges.

The mere act of kicking a can is not illegal but when done in the manner Gomes did it, it became a reckless behavior and thus, illegal.

Your analogy is beyond weak.  It is not an illegal act for me to throw a rock.  But it is illegal for me to throw it at someone.  Gomes didn't mean to hit anyone?  What exactly did he think would happen?  What if I throw a rock a in the middle of grand central station, not wanting to hit or hurt anyone.  I mean, throwing a rock is not illegal, right?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, its still not illegal. we agree it wasnt the smartest choice, but it doesnt matter how you feel about it. its still not illegal.

Once again, there wasnt malicious intent like if you threw a rock at someone. Did Gomes purposely aim for a guy and try to hit him with the can? you really dont understand so Im done trying to help you understand whats legal and whats not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yes, leaving your house every day is a risk.

and it's worth taking of course.

however, if you are injured through the reckless act of another, there must be recourse. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And thats the big problem with this country. Talk to Gomes and see what he says. Why go running for the nearest ambulance chaser? No need. Im sure Gomes would take care of that man without lawyers involved. Unless of course all you care about is trying to get more money than this injury is really worth. Maybe because Ive already earned my money, this is why I think this way.

No, it's because you are a fair and decent person.  If the guy lost an eye, or was a model and suffered a major scar, etc....he should go after an appropriately huge amount of money.  But a (presumably) little scar at most?  It's nothing, and unless one is after something for nothing an apology/bat/tickets/costs is more than enough.

Thats my point. if his face was brually scarred or he lost some vision, then yes of course. But a tiny gash over the eye doesnt warrant all the lawyer noinsense. Id be willing to be that Gomes would make it right if given the chance.

OK so just to be clear, DRINKING AND DRIVING is AOK as long as no one is hurt badly, RIGHT?

Im not comparing this to D & D so please dont twist my word around to imply that.

Im commenting on this specific incident. If you dont agree with me thats fine, but dont make it look like I approve of drinking and driving. Thats a bit of a stretch and not appreciated.

I am not far off...You indicated because it wasn't a serious injury that a big deal should not be made of it.....So what if I throw a punch at someone in your family but I didn't connect or really hurt them.  Would you just let it go?  Drinking and driving does not ALWAYS produce an injury.....so in cases where no one is hurt are you still opposed to D&D? Or pick any reckless behavior you like - you are saying if there is no injury there is no problem....Use whatever analogy you like....If the can didn't hit anyone there would be no lawsuit (no injury) but a criminal act (RECKLESSNESS) was still committed.

[/QUOTE]

You are comparing things that are illegal to start with to kicking a can, which is not illegal. Its illegal to drive drunk and punch someone if not defending yourself. Kicking a can isnt illegal...get it? There was no malicious intent when he kicked the can, so the severity of the injury is taken into consideration when considering representation.

Like I said, if you dont agree thats fine. but dont compare apples to oranges.

[/QUOTE]

The mere act of kicking a can is not illegal but when done in the manner Gomes did it, it became a reckless behavior and thus, illegal.

Your analogy is beyond weak.  It is not an illegal act for me to throw a rock.  But it is illegal for me to throw it at someone.  Gomes didn't mean to hit anyone?  What exactly did he think would happen?  What if I throw a rock a in the middle of grand central station, not wanting to hit or hurt anyone.  I mean, throwing a rock is not illegal, right?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, its still not illegal. we agree it wasnt the smartest choice, but it doesnt matter how you feel about it. its still not illegal.

Once again, there wasnt malicious intent like if you threw a rock at someone. Did Gomes puposely aim for a guy and try to hit him with the can? you really dont understand so Im done trying to help you understand what leagal and whats not.

[/QUOTE]

when someone drinks and drives and hits someone is there malicious intent?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[QUOTE]

Andrew, c'mon, "stop the madness"?  I think we agree it was inappropriate and reckless and the guy hit by the can should be made whole....but half the world lives on a dollar a day, people are being gassed by Assad, etc.  This is such a tiny issue....

[/QUOTE]

How big the issue is, is for the injured party to decide. 

For me, being Reckless is a serious offense.  He's lucky he didn't get arrested.

[/QUOTE]

No, the size of the issue would be for a court to decide should the parties not come to an agreement.  If the injured party is a greedy crybaby and wants to attempt to legally extort money for a (presumably) minor cut just because he can hopefully a judge and/or jury would laugh him out of court.  Unfortunately that all too often doesn't happen.

I don't want to live in a world where a celebrating baseball player gets arrested for kicking a can into a crowd....

[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not big on all of the lawyering up talk either, but he bottom line is, professional athletes need to refrain from reckless behavior that puts others at risk, thereby opening themselves and their organization up to such talk.  JG clearly did not intend to hurt anyone, but he did intentionally kick multiple cans of beer into the crowd.  It may seem like a fun thing to do if you are JG, or even to watch as a fan from afar, but Im not sure how much it would be to try and dodge them, or to shield your kid from getting hit.  To me it is just plain senseless. JG is just trying to include the crowd, I get that and I like that, but there are safer ways to do so.  

I do agree JG would be eager to make it right with the fan, I'm sure he feels regret If he did in fact cause the injury.   

To your last point, do you think if a jubilant, celebrating fan chucked a can of beer into a crowd of players on the field, injuring one of them,, he would not be arrested?  Would that be different?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

many acts are legal on their surface but become illegal when another party is hurt

driving (sober) is perfectly legal

but if i hit someone then it becomes an illegal act

sorry if you don't get that

Gomes was reckless both criminally and civilly....I am sure the DA and the Judge would take into account that it was malicious but it was still negligent.  Which is still a crime and you can still be held accountable.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to kt888's comment:

Andrew, c'mon, "stop the madness"?  I think we agree it was inappropriate and reckless and the guy hit by the can should be made whole....but half the world lives on a dollar a day, people are being gassed by Assad, etc.  This is such a tiny issue....

How big the issue is, is for the injured party to decide. 

For me, being Reckless is a serious offense.  He's lucky he didn't get arrested.

No, the size of the issue would be for a court to decide should the parties not come to an agreement.  If the injured party is a greedy crybaby and wants to attempt to legally extort money for a (presumably) minor cut just because he can hopefully a judge and/or jury would laugh him out of court.  Unfortunately that all too often doesn't happen.

I don't want to live in a world where a celebrating baseball player gets arrested for kicking a can into a crowd....

[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not big on all of the lawyering up talk either, but he bottom line is, professional athletes need to refrain from reckless behavior that puts others at risk, thereby opening themselves and their organization up to such talk.  JG clearly did not intend to hurt anyone, but he did intentionally kick multiple cans of beer into the crowd.  It may seem like a fun thing to do if you are JG, or even to watch as a fan from afar, but Im not sure how much it would be to try and dodge them, or to shield your kid from getting hit.  To me it is just plain senseless. JG is just trying to include the crowd, I get that and I like that, but there are safer ways to do so.  

I do agree JG would be eager to make it right with the fan, I'm sure he feels regret If he did in fact cause the injury.   

To your last point, do you think if a jubilant, celebrating fan chucked a can of beer into a crowd of players on the field, injuring one of them,, he would not be arrested?  Would that be different?

[/QUOTE]

If a fan did that not only would he be arrested on the spot but he would get pounded by at least 2 Red Sox players first.....The fan would be grateful to be behind bars at that point!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Gomes act makes what the Dodgers did seem completely harmless

I never did like Gomes but I was trying - anyone remember the cheap shots he got in on Crisp after half the Rays piled on top of him?  Look it up - Crisp refered to Gomes as giving him a series of haymakers.  Gomes was intent on killing Crisp.  Gomes came running in all the way from the OF to get his shots in.  He would had KILLED anyone if they throw a beer can and it hit him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0n4ihd492Y

go to minute marker 2:30 and see for yourselves

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to kt888's comment:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree he was wrong and the injured party needs to be made whole....for the presumably tiny injury he suffered.

Your analogy is a good one.  My response is two part:  1) would that fan be arrested? Without doubt, but that's more a comment on the view of a "common man" vs a "celebrity" ballplayer than it is on right and wrong, and 2)  Context.  Gomes, by all accounts a good guy, just helped his team to an historic turnaround and several times during the season had "punted" his helmet, etc.  He was celebrating in, for him, a normal if reckless way.  By all means caution him, take his name as if it were necessary....but arrest him?  Refer to him as a "criminal"?  It just seems so over-the-top to me when the guy was just being a bit silly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Silly acts without thinking sometimes lead to a criminal acts.  And criminal acts make an otherwise innocent man, a guilty one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

throwing a ball hard out into the crowd to celebrarte a win would be considered stupid given its MLB...kicking a full/half empty/empty can???? that could cut you bad into that same crowd makes zero sense....Gomes might be a great team mate but clearly not a bright move here....Red Sox management needs to step up here and get this guy season tix for next year...

As always - 100% correct!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

throwing a ball hard out into the crowd to celebrarte a win would be considered stupid given its MLB...kicking a full/half empty/empty can???? that could cut you bad into that same crowd makes zero sense....Gomes might be a great team mate but clearly not a bright move here....Red Sox management needs to step up here and get this guy season tix for next year...

Season tickets would be nice but what Sox Mgt needs to do now is to be sure this never happens again.

Thanks to Gomes, all players will have to undergoe training about proper behavior and then sign the Red Sox new policy about throwing, kicking, etc any objects into the stands.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Gomes seems the type of guy that would react very honourably to such an approach, and has the access and resources to make it good.

I'd happily get hit in the face with a beer can for front row seats to the playoffs every year.  My body looks like a voodoo doll's as it is.....

Now a days, the only thing that seems to make men honorable are enforceable contracts

And most millionaires I know are incredibly cheap

That's why most are millionaires. Lawyers = honorable is laughable. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

this is what Gomes would had done to YOU if you did that to HIM

Fast Forward to the 2:30 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0n4ihd492Y

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

[QUOTE]

Gomes seems the type of guy that would react very honourably to such an approach, and has the access and resources to make it good.

I'd happily get hit in the face with a beer can for front row seats to the playoffs every year.  My body looks like a voodoo doll's as it is.....

Now a days, the only thing that seems to make men honorable are enforceable contracts

And most millionaires I know are incredibly cheap

That's why most are millionaires. Lawyers = honorable is laughable. 

[/QUOTE]

Ah but I never said lawyers were honorable now did I?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

OK you all get the point

I need to watch the Giants shut the door on the yankees now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Season tickets would be nice but what Sox Mgt needs to do now is to be sure this never happens again.

Thanks to Gomes, all players will have to undergoe training about proper behavior and then sign the Red Sox new policy about throwing, kicking, etc any objects into the stands.

[/QUOTE]

You know what?  I submit.

While we're at it, the the ballgirls shouldn't toss baseballs into the crowd because they could break someone's nose....and they shouldn't hand baseballs to people because their talons could rip and tear an innocent fan's flesh.

And how about that thoughtless, reckless Uehara vaulting onto the dugout to give high fives to people? Not only was he encouraging the youth of today to walk on places not designed for walking on, he could have sprained or even broken someone's thumb with those reckless high fives! Or, worse, missed an eager fan's hand and poked an unsuspecting fan in the eye!  Heaven forfend!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You know what?  I submit.

While we're at it, the the ballgirls shouldn't toss baseballs into the crowd because they could break someone's nose....and they shouldn't hand baseballs to people because their talons could rip and tear an innocent fan's flesh.

And how about that thoughtless, reckless Uehara vaulting onto the dugout to give high fives to people? Not only was he encouraging the youth of today to walk on places not designed for walking on, he could have sprained or even broken someone's thumb with those reckless high fives! Or, worse, missed an eager fan's hand and poked an unsuspecting fan in the eye!  Heaven forfend!

The act of a softly tossed ball to a fan waiting for it is not the same thing and you know it (saying that a baseball has talons shows to me that you clearly aren't thinking logically - did you read the original article?)

If you stick out your hand for a high five you are accepting what's coming

If Koji slips on the dugout he is only hurting himself

But I agree that some of these guys throw the balls into the stands in a manner that is very dangerous

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The act of a softly tossed ball to a fan waiting for it is not the same thing and you know it

I you stick out your hand for a high five you are accepting what's coming

But I agree that some of these guys throw the balls into the stands in a manner that is very dangerous

Poor Josh Hamilton gently tossed a baseball into a crowd which directly caused a man's death.

Would you support banning all such acts of kindness, or is that tiny bit of non-essential risk acceptable?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Only one way to settle this argument. We just have to throw a bunch of apples and oranges directly at AndrewMitch. ;) 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The act of a softly tossed ball to a fan waiting for it is not the same thing and you know it (saying that a baseball has talons shows to me that you clearly aren't thinking logically - did you read the original article?)

Andrew, I was referring to the "talons" on the hands of the ballgirls....what did you think I was referring to?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

The act of a softly tossed ball to a fan waiting for it is not the same thing and you know it

I you stick out your hand for a high five you are accepting what's coming

Poor Josh Hamilton gently tossed a baseball into a crowd which directly caused a man's death.

Would you support banning all such acts of kindness, or is that tiny bit of non-essential risk acceptable?

[/QUOTE]

I would have to know more about exactly what happened in Hamilton's case.  My understanding is that fan was a willing participant and accepted the risk.

Now I must ask - Are you referring to what Gomes did as an "act of kindness" ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't want to live in a world where we place different values on different lives. 

I don't mind doing so, at least as far as I am concerned.  I have been 50%+ depreciated.  The kids aren't.  A scar to me makes almost difference.  To them, it makes a big difference.

But I agree with your above statement.  Kicking cans into the stands is not the smartest idea in the world.  Probably a carryover from the helmet kick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

Andrew, I was referring to the "talons" on the hands of the ballgirls....what did you think I was referring to?

[/QUOTE]

thats fine.   where exactly are such talons on these ballgirls then?