Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

In response to slasher9's comment:

this thread is awesome.

one thing is for certain.....when the Sox win the WS you can bet the farm not one player will be out on the field celebrating/interacting with the fans.

and that is a shame.

and you can blame that on the idiot (yet somehow team leader?) Johnny Gomes

Be advised, an act of negligence that results in an injured party is Reckless Endangerment which is a Class B Misdemeanor and subject to 6 months in jail.  You can bet your butt that if a fan did that to a Sox player that they would press charges - it happens all the time for just running on the field never mind resulting in an injured party......"Gee Tommy, I know your boy did a stupid thing by running on the field but I know if you begged John Henry for forgiveness that he would simply drop the charges" - never gonna happen.

He deserves to be made whole.  And unfortunately the best way to do that is w/ a lawyer.  He lawyers will want to get paid.  If he doesn't hire his lawyers immediately it will cost him more money in the end.  Have you been to a doctor lately?  A plastic surgeon?  Yeah, there is money involved so yeah you need a lawyer and you certainly shouldn't have to spend one penny of your own money on this event...........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Keep the beer can.  Ask the RS for front row seats for the playoffs.  Have Gomes sign the beer can and auction it off on E-Bay.

That is a great idea Joebreidey!   Laughing

Using the auction money to donate it to charity would be icing on the cake.  

This unfortunate incident can turn into a happy ending.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

this thread is awesome.

one thing is for certain.....when the Sox win the WS you can bet the farm not one player will be out on the field celebrating/interacting with the fans.

and that is a shame.

Be advised, an act of negligence that results in an injured party is Reckless Endangerment which is a Class B Misdemeanor and subject to 6 months in jail.  You can bet your butt that if a fan did that to a Sox player that they would press charges - it happens all the time for just running on the field never mind resulting in an injured party......"Gee Tommy, I know your boy did a stupid thing by running on the field but I know if you begged John Henry for forgiveness that he would simply drop the charges" - never gonna happen.

He deserves to be made whole.  And unfortunately the best way to do that is w/ a lawyer.  He lawyers will want to get paid.  If he doesn't hire his lawyers immediately it will cost him more money in the end.  Have you been to a doctor lately?  A plastic surgeon?  Yeah, there is money involved so yeah you need a lawyer and you certainly shouldn't have to spend one penny of your own money on this event...........

Here's an idea.  Find this guy that got hit and counsil him.....and leave us alone and let this thread go away....FAST.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

this thread is awesome.

and that is a shame.

Here's an idea.  Find this guy that got hit and counsil him.....and leave us alone and let this thread go away....FAST.

Here's a better idea.  Find out why the Boston PD and DA did not apply the law equally here and file charges against Gomes when they most certainly would had done so if a fan did that to a player.  That's the bigger issue and if you don't get that then you are most certainly part of the problem.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

this thread is awesome.

and that is a shame.

yes, the blame for this would be because of what JG did.  it does seem he is a team leader irregardless of the kick the can incident.  team unity all season has been great and mayor may not have transferred into a few more W's because of it.  so maybe he has earned the respect to be one of the team leaders. 

luckily he didnt lead others into the impromptu game of kick the can.

as for the need to lawyer up...maybe that isnt necessary?  maybe JG and/or RS organization has already settled with the fan.  JG seems like a stand up guy in all the quotes / interviews i have seen throughout the season.  yes, while a member of the Rays he did run in and pummel an opposing player.  but i bet the rays fans loved it.  and i bet if he did that to (pick a yankee) while with the sox we would love it.  i know i would.  and yes, i hated it when he did it to coco. 

as for arrest/jailtime.  without serious prior offenses, no one on the planet would see a day behind bars for this stupidity.  financial lawsuit?  yes.  jailtime?  no way.

in the end this will cost JG and/or the RS money.  i would bet some of my own that JG actually feels really bad this happened.  not only because of the embarrassment of it, but because he hurt a fan by doing it.  lesson learned albeit at the cost of a scar to a man's face. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Keep the beer can.  Ask the RS for front row seats for the playoffs.  Have Gomes sign the beer can and auction it off on E-Bay.

That is a great idea Joebreidey!    Laughing

Using the auction money to donate it to charity would be icing on the cake.  

This unfortunate incident can turn into a happy ending.  

Why do that when you can sue for 500k or more in damages.... ? Let's face it this is a great example of why America is headed downward. Players making more than a 100k a week and sissys suing for millions for spilling coffee in their laps.

Spilling coffee on yourself is your own stupid fault.  Having someone launch a metal can at your face is NOT your fault.  Terrible analogy...........Are you honestly calling the man who got knocked in the skull a sissy?  Really?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

this thread is awesome.

and that is a shame.

yes, the blame for this would be because of what JG did.  it does seem he is a team leader irregardless of the kick the can incident.  team unity all season has been great and more or may not have transferred into a few more W's because of it.  so maybe he has earned to be one of the team leaders. 

luckily he didnt lead others into the impromptu game of kick the can.

as for the need to lawyer up...maybe that isnt necessary?  maybe JG and/or RS organization has already settled with the fan.  JG seems like a stand up guy in all the quotes / interviews i have seen throughout the season.  yes, while a member of the Rays he did run in and pummel an opposing player.  but i bet the rays fans loved it.  and i bet if he did that to (pick a yankee) while with the sox we would love it.  i know i would.  and yes, i hated it when he did it to coco. 

as for arrest/jailtime.  without serious prior offenses, no one on the planet would see a day behind bars for this stupidity.  financial lawsuit?  yes.  jailtime?  no way.

in the end this will cost JG and/or the RS money.  i would bet some of my own that JG actually feels really bad this happened.  not only because of the embarrassment of it, but because he hurt a fan by doing it.  lesson learned albeit at the cost of a scar to a man's face. 

I would not have liked what JG did to ANYONE (even AROID) because they were cheap shots - the act of a "sissy" actually because Coco was already pinned down by 3 other Rays and Gomes just got a bunch of free shots in.

JG would not do time (unless he has priors) but he would most likely get probation.  Maybe an acquittal but he would have to go through the court procedure - just like everyone else.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

this thread is awesome.

and that is a shame.

Here's a better idea.  Find out why the Boston PD and DA did not apply the law equally here and file charges against Gomes when they most certainly would had done so if a fan did that to a player.  That's the bigger issue and if you don't get that then you are most certainly part of the problem.

OK John Stossel!! Awesome idea!!!  Why not do the leg work and get to the bottom of this horrible tragedy?  Justice shall prevail!!!!!!  Quick.....GO NOW while the story is still hot!!!!!!  Come back in a few years and report your findings....I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to kt888's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

throwing a ball hard out into the crowd to celebrarte a win would be considered stupid given its MLB...kicking a full/half empty/empty can???? that could cut you bad into that same crowd makes zero sense....Gomes might be a great team mate but clearly not a bright move here....Red Sox management needs to step up here and get this guy season tix for next year...

As always - 100% correct!

Season tickets would be nice but what Sox Mgt needs to do now is to be sure this never happens again.

Thanks to Gomes, all players will have to undergoe training about proper behavior and then sign the Red Sox new policy about throwing, kicking, etc any objects into the stands.

I don't want to live in a world where we place different values on different lives. 

I don't mind doing so, at least as far as I am concerned.  I have been 50%+ depreciated.  The kids aren't.  A scar to me makes almost difference.  To them, it makes a big difference.

But I agree with your above statement.  Kicking cans into the stands is not the smartest idea in the world.  Probably a carryover from the helmet kick.

so just to be clear, if someone is murdered at age 1, and it would be a 50 year sentence for the murderer would that mean if someone murdered you it would only be a 25 year sentence? 

or, is less of a crime to murder someone who is 99 years old then someone who is 50? 

You want SMLV to stick to the actual event, however throughout this thread you have used some drastic examples to support your points (drinking and driving; murder and sentences).

I suggested that it would have been worse if a 7yo had been hit.  Small children are generally more vulnerable and defenseless, and therefore at risk of even greater injury.  Small children do not have the means to protect themselves and therefore look to grown-ups to protect or "save" them,as you would put it.  In turn, you suggest that my opinion, and those who may share it, devalue the life of the gentleman that was hit, and support Hitler's actions??? Absurd.  JB was suggesting that him getting a scar would have less of an impact than if one of his children did.   In response, you bring about an analogy of murder sentences???

Yes that is correct.  When someone suggested it would be worse if it happened to a 7 year old then it becomes evident that someone believes that the 7 year old is more important than an adult.  That is the essence of placing a different value on different lifes.  Which yes, is what Hitler did. 

Andrew, I completely agree regarding the equal value of every human life. I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone here is arguing anything different. It goes without saying that most people would probably feel worse about seeing a child hit in the face with a beer can than an adult...and that most people probably feel worse for this elderly gentleman than they would if the same thing had happened to a healthy, 30-ish male such as myself. Probably still more so if the victim had been a woman. However, I think that's very different than saying some lives are "worth more," and hardly warrants comparisons to Hitler.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Spilling coffee on yourself is your own stupid fault.  Having someone launch a metal can at your face is NOT your fault.  Terrible analogy...........Are you honestly calling the man who got knocked in the skull a sissy?  Really?

Tha only tells half the story.  Spilling coffee onto yourself IS your fault.  Having the coffee be so hot it can burn someone, that's McDonald's fault.  That's not disputable.  The courts have already decided that. 

Now, if my attitude makes me "part of the problem" then that's what I am - in your opinion.  In MY opinion YOUR attitude of it being necessary to involve lawyers in every bump, bruise, laceration, and spilled cup of coffee makes you a part of a much bigger problem in this country - the attitude that one can manipulate any misfortune and turn it into ca$h. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I would not have liked what JG did to ANYONE (even AROID) because they were cheap shots - the act of a "sissy" actually because Coco was already pinned down by 3 other Rays and Gomes just got a bunch of free shots in.

JG would not do time (unless he has priors) but he would most likely get probation.  Maybe an acquittal but he would have to go through the court procedure - just like everyone else.

I had a difficult time with the Sox picking up Gomes just because of that incident, and it's still in the back of my mind.  However, athletes behavior during on-field events is held to a different standard than what happens on the street.  Much of what's legal and acceptable on a football field would result in a court appearance if it happened on the street.  If athletes are going to be held to the same standard on-field as off-field we'd better plan on having a cadre of police at every hockey game. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

see that's the problem - this was not a minor thing

and you can bet that if this happened to someone in Gome's family he would be going ballistic

as far as calling the VICTIM a sissy, that's crap - you don't even know what his position is

and finally, i actually said what i would ask for and it wasn't for a six figure reward for my pain

i wanted medical bills paid including plastic surgey

autographs from the players for my pain and suffering and inconveinance

and i want assurances that this would never happen to anyone else again

finally,layers are not part of the problem.  it's people doing stupid things and other people not being honorable.  you don't think Gomes and Henry don't have a legal team on retainer?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I had a difficult time with the Sox picking up Gomes just because of that incident, and it's still in the back of my mind.  However, athletes behavior during on-field events is held to a different standard than what happens on the street.  Much of what's legal and acceptable on a football field would result in a court appearance if it happened on the street.  If athletes are going to be held to the same standard on-field as off-field we'd better plan on having a cadre of police at every hockey game. 

First, I agree with you on signing Gomes (made me cringe - we passed on Ross for this thug?)

Second, your analogy of what's acceptable on the FIELD does NOT apply here.  You are referring to 2 willing participants on the football field.  The innocent fan did not consent to physical contact with a metal can when he bought that ticket.  This point is flawed and would not carry any weight what so ever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

I thought it was an incredibly stupid and irresponsible thing to do and why the media keeps replaying it as a great moment is beyond me.........I hope that never happens again....

I think that it is very stupid to see it happening , stand there knowing that someone coud get hit.Taking it all in and you get hit with can and not blameing yourself for not moveing to safer area. That fan was already getting a lawyer before getting hit. If i felt in harms way my Azz would have moved. That happened how long after game was over?.. Also ...Gomes was wrong in doing that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Tha only tells half the story.  Spilling coffee onto yourself IS your fault.  Having the coffee be so hot it can burn someone, that's McDonald's fault.  That's not disputable.  The courts have already decided that. 

Now, if my attitude makes me "part of the problem" then that's what I am - in your opinion.  In MY opinion YOUR attitude of it being necessary to involve lawyers in every bump, bruise, laceration, and spilled cup of coffee makes you a part of a much bigger problem in this country - the attitude that one can manipulate any misfortune and turn it into ca$h. 

And that, S5, makes it only 2/3rds of that McDonalds coffee Story. That lady who sued and won, thousands of people complained about how hot their coffee was (some sued) before she won that suit. No one mentions that part. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

And that, S5, makes it only 2/3rds of that McDonalds coffee Story. That lady who sued and won, thousands of people complained about how hot their coffee was (some sued) before she won that suit. No one mentions that part. 

[/QUOTE]

The reason I hadn't mentioned it is because I wasn't aware of it!  Thanks.  :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

speeding tickets at nascar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Only one way to settle this argument. We just have to throw a bunch of apples and oranges directly at AndrewMitch. ;) 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

Now I could go for that.  Maybe even something harder with jagged edges like a half-empty beer can.  

There's another thread on here about the Yankees and poetic justice.  Poetic justice would be A_itch being the victim of such an accident, following through on a lawsuit instead of a resolution with a reasonable party, and losing the case and his shirt when legal fees come due.  Maybe Softy can respresent him.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If I was the fan, then I would demand three things

1. A Red Sox jersey signed by Pedroia 
    2. A Patriots jersey signed by Tom Brady
    3. A Red Sox jersey signed by Ben Affleck ("The Town" and "Argo" were awesome movie)  Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

You guys are so predictable LOL!

I prefer to think of it as dependable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

apparently i like hitler.  i would be way more pissed off if it was a 7 year old boy or girl that got bloodied by kick the can.  i do not value life the same.  afforded the opportunity i would jump in front of my son and take a bullet without hesitation so that he may live.

my son's life > my wife's life > my life

this is not up for debate

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

apparently i like hitler.  i would be way more pissed off if it was a 7 year old boy or girl that got bloodied by kick the can.  i do not value life the same.  afforded the opportunity i would jump in front of my son and take a bullet without hesitation so that he may live.

my son's life > my wife's life > my life

this is not up for debate

Fascist pig. Wink

Sections
Shortcuts