Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

In response to emp9's comment:

Only one way to settle this argument. We just have to throw a bunch of apples and oranges directly at AndrewMitch. ;) 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

Only if he was leaning over a rail!  JOKE!  I like Andrew a lot, I don't always agree with him but he presents logical arguments and makes me think.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

throwing a ball hard out into the crowd to celebrarte a win would be considered stupid given its MLB...kicking a full/half empty/empty can???? that could cut you bad into that same crowd makes zero sense....Gomes might be a great team mate but clearly not a bright move here....Red Sox management needs to step up here and get this guy season tix for next year...

As always - 100% correct!

Season tickets would be nice but what Sox Mgt needs to do now is to be sure this never happens again.

Thanks to Gomes, all players will have to undergoe training about proper behavior and then sign the Red Sox new policy about throwing, kicking, etc any objects into the stands.

I don't want to live in a world where we place different values on different lives. 

I don't mind doing so, at least as far as I am concerned.  I have been 50%+ depreciated.  The kids aren't.  A scar to me makes almost difference.  To them, it makes a big difference.

But I agree with your above statement.  Kicking cans into the stands is not the smartest idea in the world.  Probably a carryover from the helmet kick.

so just to be clear, if someone is murdered at age 1, and it would be a 50 year sentence for the murderer would that mean if someone murdered you it would only be a 25 year sentence? 

or, is less of a crime to murder someone who is 99 years old then someone who is 50? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE]

Only one way to settle this argument. We just have to throw a bunch of apples and oranges directly at AndrewMitch. ;) 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

Only if he was leaning over a rail!  JOKE!  I like Andrew a lot, I don't always agree with him but he presents logical arguments and makes me think.

[/QUOTE]

thank you

i hope that i am not only making you think but think about the cose issue is here

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

thats fine.   where exactly are such talons on these ballgirls then?

tal·on  (tln)

n. 1. a. The claw of a bird of prey. b. The similar claw of a predatory animal. 2. Something similar to or suggestive of an animal's claw.

Fingernails, Andrew.  Have you spent all summer at Square University?  ;-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

tal·on     (tln)

n. 1. a. The claw of a bird of prey. b. The similar claw of a predatory animal. 2. Something similar to or suggestive of an animal's claw.

Right......and you are comparing a girl's finger nails to a Bird Of Prey's Claws......Am I clear on that?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:

[QUOTE]

throwing a ball hard out into the crowd to celebrarte a win would be considered stupid given its MLB...kicking a full/half empty/empty can???? that could cut you bad into that same crowd makes zero sense....Gomes might be a great team mate but clearly not a bright move here....Red Sox management needs to step up here and get this guy season tix for next year...

As always - 100% correct!

Season tickets would be nice but what Sox Mgt needs to do now is to be sure this never happens again.

Thanks to Gomes, all players will have to undergoe training about proper behavior and then sign the Red Sox new policy about throwing, kicking, etc any objects into the stands.

[/QUOTE]

I don't want to live in a world where we place different values on different lives. 

I don't mind doing so, at least as far as I am concerned.  I have been 50%+ depreciated.  The kids aren't.  A scar to me makes almost difference.  To them, it makes a big difference.

But I agree with your above statement.  Kicking cans into the stands is not the smartest idea in the world.  Probably a carryover from the helmet kick.

[/QUOTE]

so just to be clear, if someone is murdered at age 1, and it would be a 50 year sentence for the murderer would that mean if someone murdered you it would only be a 25 year sentence? 

or, is better to murder someone who is 99 years old then someone who is 50? 

[/QUOTE]

Yes! Murder sentences should be pro-rated as per life expectancy subracted by years lived. I think you're on to something here AM!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

All life is equal

Placing different values on different values is something that uh, Hitler did.......

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

What Ortiz did was unacceptable too

That is beyond expected risk

Getting hit with a foul ball is an expected risk

Getting a beer can kicked at you would not be part of the deal

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The act of a softly tossed ball to a fan waiting for it is not the same thing and you know it

I you stick out your hand for a high five you are accepting what's coming

If Koji slips on the dugout he is only hurting himself

But I agree that some of these guys throw the balls into the stands in a manner that is very dangerous

Poor Josh Hamilton gently tossed a baseball into a crowd which directly caused a man's death.

Would you support banning all such acts of kindness, or is that tiny bit of non-essential risk acceptable?

[/QUOTE]

I would have to know more about exactly what happened in Hamilton's case.  My understanding is that fan was a willing participant and accepted the risk.

Now I must ask - Are you referring to what Gomes did as an "act of kindness" ?

[/QUOTE]

You haven't seen this?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aesp8ViZbro.  It's horrible.  The poor man (even if a bit stupid for chasing a stupid ball so hard), his poor son right next to him, his family and friends, people next to him watching it....and as if Hamilton hasn't had enough problems.

Hamilton gently tossed a ball to fans, it caused a death.  So let's ban all gentle tossing of baseballs to fans, right?

Re Gomes' can punting "kindness"?  Was it malicious?  Of course not, no one thinks that. Thoughtless?  Yes.  Reckless?  Yes.  But was he trying to share the moment with fans? Yes.  

Clearly kicking beer cans into the crowd is not the same as tossing a ball to the crowd....but if you want absolute safety for baseball fans surely you support a moratorium on the gentle tossing of baseballs to fans? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

The act of a softly tossed ball to a fan waiting for it is not the same thing and you know it

I you stick out your hand for a high five you are accepting what's coming

If Koji slips on the dugout he is only hurting himself

But I agree that some of these guys throw the balls into the stands in a manner that is very dangerous

Poor Josh Hamilton gently tossed a baseball into a crowd which directly caused a man's death.

Would you support banning all such acts of kindness, or is that tiny bit of non-essential risk acceptable?

[/QUOTE]

I would have to know more about exactly what happened in Hamilton's case.  My understanding is that fan was a willing participant and accepted the risk.

Now I must ask - Are you referring to what Gomes did as an "act of kindness" ?

[/QUOTE]

You haven't seen this?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aesp8ViZbro.  It's horrible.  The poor man (even if a bit stupid for chasing a stupid ball so hard), his poor son right next to him, his family and friends, people next to him watching it....and as if Hamilton hasn't had enough problems.

Hamilton gently tossed a ball to fans, it caused a death.  So let's ban all gentle tossing of baseballs to fans, right?

Re Gomes' can punting "kindness"?  Was it malicious?  Of course not, no one thinks that. Thoughtless?  Yes.  Reckless?  Yes.  But was he trying to share the moment with fans? Yes.  

Clearly kicking beer cans into the crowd is not the same as tossing a ball to the crowd....but if you want absolute safety for baseball fans surely you support a moratorium on the gentle tossing of baseballs to fans? 

[/QUOTE]

I'll go ahead and answer your questions even though you ingored the several I posed to you

You do not ban the mere act of carefully tossing a ball into the stands.  I am not in favor of new statutes to forbid actions.  However, if an action leads to an injuried party then that specific incident must be looked at carefully to see if there was any malicious or NEGLIGENT behaviour.  So let us only look at what Gomes did.  That's the only issue that matters here and I believe you already conceded it was reckless and careless.  Just because an action is not MALICIOUS does not mean that a criminal activity was not committed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

tal·on  (tln)

Right......and you are comparing a girl's finger nails to a Bird Of Prey's Claws......Am I clear on that?

joke    [johk]  Show IPA  noun,  verb,  joked,  jok·ing. noun 1. something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusinganecdote, or a prankish act:  He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him. 2. something that is amusing or ridiculous, especially because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham;a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce:  Their pretense of generosityis a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke. 3. a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter:  The loss was no joke.

Lighten up Andrew!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

All life is equal

Placing different values on different values is something that uh, Hitler did.......

I was just joshin' ya' ! :) I was also looking out for our fellow tax payers. But mostly, just kidding. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

tal·on  (tln)

joke    [johk]  Show IPA  noun,  verb,  joked,  jok·ing. noun 1. something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusinganecdote, or a prankish act:  He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him. 2. something that is amusing or ridiculous, especially because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham;a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce:  Their pretense of generosityis a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke. 3. a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter:  The loss was no joke.

Lighten up Andrew!

[/QUOTE]

well, then your arguement about the ballgirls has absolutely no basis

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

All life is equal

I was just joshin' ya' ! :) I was also looking out for our fellow tax payers. But mostly, just kidding. 

[/QUOTE]

I am all for kidding around but this is a pretty serious matter

There are a lot of people who think different lives have different values - the worst are the ones who want to "save the children".....a child's life is not worth anymore than an old man on his death bed.......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

how many did he kick?....amazing that he escaped a foot injury

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

[QUOTE]

how many did he kick?....amazing that he escaped a foot injury

[/QUOTE]

I only saw one but there were reports he did a few

He's an idiot.  I can't believe more Sox fans don't remember Gomes being at the center of the Crisp brawl and have embraced him so much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I'll go ahead and answer your questions even though you ingored the several I posed to you

You do not ban the mere act of carefully tossing a ball into the stands.  I am not in favor of new statutes to forbid actions.  However, if an action leads to an injuried party then that specific incident must be looked at carefully to see if there was any malicious or NEGLIGENT behaviour.  So let us only look at what Gomes did.  That's the only issue that matters here and I believe you already conceded it was reckless and careless.  Just because an action is not MALICIOUS does not mean that a criminal activity was not committed.

[/QUOTE]

What questions have I ignored?  I will answer anything you ask me.

I've already stated at least 4 times that I think what Gomes did was reckless and wrong, and any injury suffered by the man with the boo boo should be compensated.  If it's a serious injury I hope he gets appropriately large compensation.  But in the large scheme of things it's just the Nth example of an inappropriate act gone wrong, causing what looks to be a boo boo.  

You stated you are keen on safety, I'm glad.  You obviously have a good heart and are needed to offset others with a less rigourous outlook on risk.  Like me.

But if you are to be consistent, you should support the banning of gently tossing baseballs to the crowd because the Hamilton incident is neither the first nor the last example of injuries caused by such behaviour.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What questions have I ignored?  I will answer anything you ask me.

I've already stated at least 4 times that I think what Gomes did was reckless and wrong, and any injury suffered by the man with the boo boo should be compensated.  If it's a serious injury I hope he gets appropriately large compensation.  But in the large scheme of things it's just the Nth example of an inappropriate act gone wrong, causing what looks to be a boo boo.  

You stated you are keen on safety, I'm glad.  You obviously have a good heart and are needed to offset others with a less rigourous outlook on risk.  Like me.

But if you are to be consistent, you should support the banning of gently tossing baseballs to the crowd because the Hamilton incident is neither the first nor the last example of injuries caused by such behaviour.

[/QUOTE]

many questions like what would had happen if a fan did that?  go back and read them don't make me retype the questions you chose to ignore

also, there you go again trying to demean the injury by calling it a BOO BOO...did you even read the article orginally posted?  the witnesses said the man was GUSHING BLOOD and was DISORIENTED.......stick to the issue - you are trying to make some type of point based on your personal views by calling it a boo boo and refering to ballgirls with Talons etc etc - stick to the core issue - it was a reckless and avoidable act that resulted in an injured party.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Lighten up Andrew!

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  I have suffered cuts from other peoples' fingernails and (somewhat creepily) toenails, what if the ballgirls with their long fingernails handed a ball to a haemophiliac and cut their hand?  OBVIOUSLY I am extending the logic to make a point and, hopefully, amuse you....but my point is that risk acceptance is a spectrum of acceptance and I think that while we all agree what Gomes did was wrong (5th time I've writtten it?) to call him a "criminal" and write that we need to "stop the madness" is so far over-the-top it diminishes the good, moral point you are making.

1. Player A kicks a beer can into crowd, causes minor boo boo above a man's eye.
    2. Player B gently tosses ball into crowd, a man falls to his death in front of his son.

"Please, won't someone do something about this tidal wave of can kicking-caused boo boos sweeping across America!"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

Lighten up Andrew!

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  I have suffered cuts from other peoples' fingernails and (somewhat creepily) toenails, what if the ballgirls with their long fingernails handed a ball to a haemophiliac and cut their hand?  OBVIOUSLY I am extending the logic to make a point and, hopefully, amuse you....but my point is that risk acceptance is a spectrum of acceptance and I think that while we all agree what Gomes did was wrong (5th time I've writtten it?) to call him a "criminal" and write that we need to "stop the madness" is so far over-the-top it diminishes the good, moral point you are making.

1. Player A kicks a beer can into crowd, causes minor boo boo above a man's eye.
    2. Player B gently tosses ball into crowd, a man falls to his death in front of his son.

"Please, won't someone do something about this tidal wave of can kicking-caused boo boos sweeping across America!"

[/QUOTE]

let's stay focused

and i already addressed this

but here it is again - for the last time

in your example of the ball girl handing a ball to a fan

the FAN agrees to reach for the ball

they are AGREEING to a degree of risk

they could certainly jam a finger or hurt their hands

that is a reasonable amount of risk they are agreeing to

now if the ball explodes in their hand then that is not a reasonable risk that they have assumed when extending their hands for the ball

You keep giving analogies.  You need to only focus on the ACTUAL EVENT:  IS IT REASONABLE FOR A FAN TO ASSUME THE RISK OF A BALLPLAYER KICKING A BEER CAN AT THEIR SKULL WHILE IN THE STANDS?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

many questions like what would had happen if a fan did that?  go back and read them don't make me retype the questions you chose to ignore

also, there you go again trying to demean the injury by calling it a BOO BOO...did you even read the article orginally posted?  the witnesses said the man was GUSHING BLOOD and was DISORIENTED.......stick to the issue - you are trying to make some type of point based on your personal views by calling it a boo boo and refering to ballgirls with Talons etc etc - stick to the core issue - it was a reckless and avoidable act that resulted in an injured party.

[/QUOTE]

I do not ignore questions;  I loathe people that do that.  I responded to another poster's question about "what if a fan did it" in detail.  If I missed any let me know, it was not avoidance.

I've stated umpteen times that if it was a serious injury he deserves compensation, and even a bit of comp if it's minor.

What witnesses say?  I have to consider the source.  Maybe it's serious, and AGAIN, if it is I have full sympathy.  But the only picture I've seen is one of a guy with a little Band Aid over his left eye.  FFS, that's nothing!  A guy punched me in a club a few years ago (I was 100% innocent, am totally non-violent, did nothing at all wrong) with a big ring on his finger.  Split open an 11-stitch cut over my right eye..."gushing blood"?  Blood was pooling into my hands, spilling over onto the floor, ambulance came to take me to the ER for stitching.  Yet this poor victim was back minutes later after a Band Aid was applied.  Hmm, yeah, sounds serious to me..."Please, won't somebody call George Clooney!"

I repeat, again, I agree it was a reckless act but I think you are making Mt. Everest out of an anthill.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do not ignore questions;  I loathe people that do that.  I responded to another poster's question about "what if a fan did it" in detail.  If I missed any let me know, it was not avoidance.

I've stated umpteen times that if it was a serious injury he deserves compensation, and even a bit of comp if it's minor.

What witnesses say?  I have to consider the source.  Maybe it's serious, and AGAIN, if it is I have full sympathy.  But the only picture I've seen is one of a guy with a little Band Aid over his left eye.  FFS, that's nothing!  A guy punched me in a club a few years ago (I was 100% innocent, am totally non-violent, did nothing at all wrong) with a big ring on his finger.  Split open an 11-stitch cut over my right eye..."gushing blood"?  Blood was pooling into my hands, spilling over onto the floor, ambulance came to take me to the ER for stitching.  Yet this poor victim was back minutes later after a Band Aid was applied.  Hmm, yeah, sounds serious to me..."Please, won't somebody call George Clooney!"

I repeat, again, I agree it was a reckless act but I think you are making Mt. Everest out of an anthill.  

[/QUOTE]

A reckless act does not have to end up with a serious injury in order for a crime to have been committed

I could take a swing at someone and not hurt them and I would still be arrested

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

let's stay focused

now if the ball explodes in their hand then that is not a reasonable risk that they have assumed when extending their hands for the ball

You keep giving analogies.  You need to only focus on the ACTUAL EVENT:  IS IT REASONABLE FOR A FAN TO ASSUME THE RISK OF A BALLPLAYER KICKING A BEER CAN AT THEIR SKULL WHILE IN THE STANDS?

[/QUOTE]

Who is the judge of what a "reasonable amount of risk" is, Andrew?  After this conversation I am absolutely certain you should not be....and I assume you are absolutely certain I should not be.  The ideal is likely somewhere in between.  

(BTW, I assume "KICKING A BEER CAN AT THEIR SKULL" was hyperbole as you surely don't think Gomes was aiming the can at the big girl's blouse's head)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

let's stay focused

Who is the judge of what a "reasonable amount of risk" is, Andrew?  After this conversation I am absolutely certain you should not be....and I assume you are absolutely certain I should not be.  The ideal is likely somewhere in between.  

(BTW, I assume "KICKING A BEER CAN AT THEIR SKULL" was hyperbole as you surely don't think Gomes was aiming the can at the big girl's blouse)

[/QUOTE]

You use your common sense as to what reasonable is and I gave you a few examples.  Ultimately, it would be up to a jury.  But again, how reasonable is it to expect a beer can come flying at you at ANY place other than an out of control Frat Party?

It matters not what part of the body Gomes was aiming now does it?  Clearly he was aiming DIRECTLY AT THE FANS.  Exactly where did he expect an aluminum beer car to land once he launched it in the crowd????

Sections
Shortcuts