Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Who is the judge of what a "reasonable amount of risk" is, Andrew?  After this conversation I am absolutely certain you should not be....and I assume you are absolutely certain I should not be.  The ideal is likely somewhere in between.  

(BTW, I assume "KICKING A BEER CAN AT THEIR SKULL" was hyperbole as you surely don't think Gomes was aiming the can at the big girl's blouse)

You use your common sense as to what reasonable is and I gave you a few examples.  Ultimately, it would be up to a jury.  But again, how reasonable is it to expect a beer can come flying at you at ANY place other than an out of control Frat Party?

It matters not what part of the body Gomes was aiming now does it?  Clearly he was aiming DIRECTLY AT THE FANS.  Exactly where did he execpt an aluminum beer car to land once he launched it in the crowd????

[/QUOTE]

Gomes was aiming?  Now if that were the case it'd be a different kettle of fish.  But he wasn't, was he?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Who is the judge of what a "reasonable amount of risk" is, Andrew?  After this conversation I am absolutely certain you should not be....and I assume you are absolutely certain I should not be.  The ideal is likely somewhere in between.  

(BTW, I assume "KICKING A BEER CAN AT THEIR SKULL" was hyperbole as you surely don't think Gomes was aiming the can at the big girl's blouse)

You use your common sense as to what reasonable is and I gave you a few examples.  Ultimately, it would be up to a jury.  But again, how reasonable is it to expect a beer can come flying at you at ANY place other than an out of control Frat Party?

It matters not what part of the body Gomes was aiming now does it?  Clearly he was aiming DIRECTLY AT THE FANS.  Exactly where did he execpt an aluminum beer car to land once he launched it in the crowd????

Gomes was aiming?  Now if that were the case it'd be a different kettle of fish.  But he wasn't, was he?

[/QUOTE]

Where exactly was he aiming the kick?  Did you see the footage?  He was kicking the beer can at the fans.  Did he mean to hurt anyone?  I am sure he did not.  But that only makes the act a crime of negligence and not malice.  But still a crime never the less.....And a jury would have to decide exactly HOW irresponsible the action was - again, what exactly did Gomes think woudl happen when he launched a metal can in the middle of a pack of fans?

He certainly was not aiming the can into empty stands.  His intention was clearly to get the can TO the fans....Why?  I can't speak for the idiot as I have an IQ in the triple digits.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

throwing a ball hard out into the crowd to celebrarte a win would be considered stupid given its MLB...kicking a full/half empty/empty can???? that could cut you bad into that same crowd makes zero sense....Gomes might be a great team mate but clearly not a bright move here....Red Sox management needs to step up here and get this guy season tix for next year...

As always - 100% correct!

Season tickets would be nice but what Sox Mgt needs to do now is to be sure this never happens again.

Thanks to Gomes, all players will have to undergoe training about proper behavior and then sign the Red Sox new policy about throwing, kicking, etc any objects into the stands.

I don't want to live in a world where we place different values on different lives. 

I don't mind doing so, at least as far as I am concerned.  I have been 50%+ depreciated.  The kids aren't.  A scar to me makes almost difference.  To them, it makes a big difference.

But I agree with your above statement.  Kicking cans into the stands is not the smartest idea in the world.  Probably a carryover from the helmet kick.

so just to be clear, if someone is murdered at age 1, and it would be a 50 year sentence for the murderer would that mean if someone murdered you it would only be a 25 year sentence? 

or, is less of a crime to murder someone who is 99 years old then someone who is 50? 

You want SMLV to stick to the actual event, however throughout this thread you have used some drastic examples to support your points (drinking and driving; murder and sentences).

I suggested that it would have been worse if a 7yo had been hit.  Small children are generally more vulnerable and defenseless, and therefore at risk of even greater injury.  Small children do not have the means to protect themselves and therefore look to grown-ups to protect or "save" them,as you would put it.  In turn, you suggest that my opinion, and those who may share it, devalue the life of the gentleman that was hit, and support Hitler's actions??? Absurd.  JB was suggesting that him getting a scar would have less of an impact than if one of his children did.   In response, you bring about an analogy of murder sentences???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to kt888's comment:

[QUOTE]

throwing a ball hard out into the crowd to celebrarte a win would be considered stupid given its MLB...kicking a full/half empty/empty can???? that could cut you bad into that same crowd makes zero sense....Gomes might be a great team mate but clearly not a bright move here....Red Sox management needs to step up here and get this guy season tix for next year...

Season tickets would be nice but what Sox Mgt needs to do now is to be sure this never happens again.

Thanks to Gomes, all players will have to undergoe training about proper behavior and then sign the Red Sox new policy about throwing, kicking, etc any objects into the stands.

I don't want to live in a world where we place different values on different lives. 

I don't mind doing so, at least as far as I am concerned.  I have been 50%+ depreciated.  The kids aren't.  A scar to me makes almost difference.  To them, it makes a big difference.

But I agree with your above statement.  Kicking cans into the stands is not the smartest idea in the world.  Probably a carryover from the helmet kick.

so just to be clear, if someone is murdered at age 1, and it would be a 50 year sentence for the murderer would that mean if someone murdered you it would only be a 25 year sentence? 

or, is less of a crime to murder someone who is 99 years old then someone who is 50? 

You want SMLV to stick to the actual event, however throughout this thread you have used some drastic examples to support your points (drinking and driving; murder and sentences).

I suggested that it would have been worse if a 7yo had been hit.  Small children are generally more vulnerable and defenseless, and therefore at risk of even greater injury.  Small children do not have the means to protect themselves and therefore look to grown-ups to protect or "save" them,as you would put it.  In turn, you suggest that my opinion, and those who may share it, devalue the life of the gentleman that was hit, and support Hitler's actions??? Absurd.  JB was suggesting that him getting a scar would have less of an impact than if one of his children did.   In response, you bring about an analogy of murder sentences???

[/QUOTE]

Yes that is correct.  When someone suggested it would be worse if it happened to a 7 year old then it becomes evident that someone believes that the 7 year old is more important than an adult.  That is the essence of placing a different value on different lifes.  Which yes, is what Hitler did. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

"...luckily Fenway First Aid was quick to respond".

Indeed.  That "terrible" wound looks only slightly worse than the gash my little daughter got on her knee when she fell over while skipping today.  Seriously.  She cried for about 30 seconds (she's only 5) then we moved on. 

And, yes, Andrew, I understand the difference between intent/recklessness and result...but why aren't you up in arms about Hamilton's gentle baseball tossing?  Boo boo vs death....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

He certainly was not aiming the can into empty stands.  His intention was clearly to get the can TO the fans....Why?  I can't speak for the idiot as I have an IQ in the triple digits.

"Triple"?  What is this triple of which you speak?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

"...luckily Fenway First Aid was quick to respond".

Indeed.  That "terrible" wound looks only slightly worse than the gash my little daughter got on her knee when she fell over while skipping today.  Seriously.  She cried for about 30 seconds (she's only 5) then we moved on. 

And, yes, Andrew, I understand the difference between intent/recklessness and result...but why aren't you up in arms about Hamilton's gentle baseball tossing?  Boo boo vs death....

first, there you go again refering this to a boo boo

so i will ask you again, if someone is drinking and driving and there is NO BO BO at all, should they be arrested?

second, i explained this several times about Hamilton - the other party VOLUNTEERED to catch the ball and made a VOLUNTARY EFFORT of his OWN FREE WILL to try and catch the ball......it was HIS OWN FAULT - he agreed to participate in the event

the man who got crushed with a can did not consent to the event - maybe he did but I think I it's safe to assume that he did not....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes that is correct.  When someone suggested it would be worse if it happened to a 7 year old then it becomes evident that someone believes that the 7 year old is more important than an adult.  That is the essence of placing a different value on different lifes.  Which yes, is what Hitler did. 

[/QUOTE]

That is what you got out of what I just wrote?  Wow.  Nothing more to say here.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is what you got out of what I just wrote?  Wow.  Nothing more to say here.  

[/QUOTE]

there was more to it than that

he also talked about life span and "depreciation"

but that's fine you can ignore it if it make your point

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I am 100% with Andrew on the relative value of lives.  It's nonsense.

Respect the elderly?  Why should I have respected John Demjanjuk?  Because he was old? Not having died yet is a greater virtue than the evil of having been a war criminal?  

My grandparents, parents, myself and my siblings and my children have all been taught that no one is automatically given "extra" respect.  Everyone starts off at the maximum then it's theirs to lose.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

first, there you go again refering this to a boo boo

so i will ask you again, if someone is drinking and driving and there is NO BO BO at all, should they be arrested?

second, i explained this several times about Hamilton - the other party VOLUNTEERED to catch the ball and made a VOLUNTARY EFFORT of his OWN FREE WILL to try and catch the ball......it was HIS OWN FAULT - he agreed to participate in the event

the man who got crushed with a can did not consent to the event - maybe he did but I think I it's safe to assume that he did not....

Andrew...."crushed with a can" vs. "boo boo".  Which phrase, given the photo we've seen, do you think more accurately reflects the alleged injury?

And for the Nth, and final, time tonight I'm not disputing Gomes' culpability.  I admire your passion and humanity about the Wrong that truly was committed....but there are much bigger, badder windmills to tilt at.  Til tomorrow!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

The guy will have a great story to tell for years.

I'm willing to bet that both the Red Sox and Gomes have already reached out to this guy, have aplogized, and have offered some type of compensation.

It was wreckless on Gomes' part, but certainly there was no ill intent.  Thankfully, the injury wasn't serious.

If it had happened to me, I would be thinking this exact thing - what a great story to tell for years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet that both the Red Sox and Gomes have already reached out to this guy, have aplogized, and have offered some type of compensation.

It was wreckless on Gomes' part, but certainly there was no ill intent.  Thankfully, the injury wasn't serious.

If it had happened to me, I would be thinking this exact thing - what a great story to tell for years.

[/QUOTE]

Would you feel the same way if I stranger did that to you?  A non-Red Sox player?  Would you rely on the team to reach out to you ?  Would it still be a great story to tell for years?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Would you feel the same way if I stranger did that to you?  A non-Red Sox player?  Would you rely on the team to reach out to you ?  Would it still be a great story to tell for years?

[/QUOTE]

Those are four dumb questions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

If I went to a Sox game and had this gash over my eye because of stupidity,I'd be {expletive} off.Especially coming from a player I was cheering for.He needs to be more responsible regarding his actions and I imagine that someone has or will speak to him about it.It wasn't the smartest thing for Gomes to do,and hopefully he get a little less carried away after they win the ALDS..

"Another day closer to the parade"

The only people talking to Gomes would be my lawyers

The only thing I am surprised by is that the injury wasn't worse

Yuh.  This is exactly why this country needs more lawyers.  :-(

Why not make contact with Gomes, tell him what happened and see what his reaction is before contacting a lawyer?  If you get a sincere apology and a guarantee to make things right, then do that rather than immediately think, "SUE!"

JMHO

Agreed. Gomes is a good guy, and Im sure would do anything he could to make this right. Im sure he doesnt want to hurt any fans. Last thing we need is more lawsuits. Just settle it like normal human beings. It was an accident.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If all men were honorable I wouldn't have a legal staff on 24/7 retainer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Could you imagine if Boras did business with just a handshake?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

No doubt it was a bonehead move by him..but he is not the first sports figure to do something stupid and he probably won't be the last. I have no doubt the man who was injured was taken care of by the Sox organization. Still...no doubt Gomes got a lecture on this one.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

These things happen. Get carried away, do something stupid, and 99% of the time nothing happens. Then it does. . Fortunately, this was not more serious than it was. Settle it fairly. Learn a lesson and move on. No reason for more litigation to further enrich the lawyers. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

One thing is certain, this guy walked out with a handful of lawyer referals.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

These things happen. Get carried away, do something stupid, and 99% of the time nothing happens. Then it does. . Fortunately, this was not more serious than it was. Settle it fairly. Learn a lesson and move on. No reason for more litigation to further enrich the lawyers. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Come on....the first thing these players do when there is a dispute w/ the league or they want a new contract is hire a team of lawyers.......Sorry, but most people, and especially baseball players are greedy and would screw you any chance they get.......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Obviously, it wouldn't be as great a story to tell if it were a stranger who punted the can.   Other than that, however, I would feel the same way if the other circumstances were the same. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I thought it was an incredibly stupid and irresponsible thing to do and why the media keeps replaying it as a great moment is beyond me.........I hope that never happens again....

I had the same thought.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Hey creepy over reacting Mitch guy....... After reading your epic diatribe  my friend stubbed his toe at my house today.  I proceeded to beat the daylights out of my coffee table since clearly it was a horrific accident that could have been prevented.  Thanks for your efforts and your teachings, if not for your stellar 17000 posts this world would not be safe....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

[QUOTE]

I thought it was an incredibly stupid and irresponsible thing to do and why the media keeps replaying it as a great moment is beyond me.........I hope that never happens again....

I had the same thought.  

[/QUOTE]

Oh good....the voice of reason....