Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

These things happen. Get carried away, do something stupid, and 99% of the time nothing happens. Then it does. . Fortunately, this was not more serious than it was. Settle it fairly. Learn a lesson and move on. No reason for more litigation to further enrich the lawyers. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Come on....the first thing these players do when there is a dispute w/ the league or they want a new contract is hire a team of lawyers.......Sorry, but most people, and especially baseball players are greedy and would screw you any chance they get.......

Does that make it right?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

The guy will have a great story to tell for years.

I'm willing to bet that both the Red Sox and Gomes have already reached out to this guy, have aplogized, and have offered some type of compensation.

It was wreckless on Gomes' part, but certainly there was no ill intent.  Thankfully, the injury wasn't serious.

If it had happened to me, I would be thinking this exact thing - what a great story to tell for years.

+1

The only reason I can imagine for running to a lawyer would be to try to turn this into a $100,000 lawsuit (of which the lawyers would get 50%).  Greed.  It runs rampant. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Wow, heated debate!

Kicking the beer can was stupid, perhaps some one on the field should have said something to stop him.

A cut to the face or hands bleeds a lot because of all the small blood vessels that feed the area.  They often look worse than they are.

As we get older our skin becomes thinner so it can tear easily.  This cut probably looks worse than it is.  This shouldn't have happened but I doubt this man was seriously injured.

I was hit right above the eye by my brother when I was five, it was an accident, I think LOL!

The doctor, his nurse and my mom had to hold me down while I had stitches.  I guess I was a pretty strong little kid.  I have spent fifty five years with this scar and some how managed to live a full life.

Since my brother was only six I thought it best not to get in touch with a lawyer ;0)

It was a stupid act but I don't think there was any malice involved.  If it were me I wouldn't get in touch with a lawyer.  I would like box seats to all the post season games and some tickets to the 2014 season.  Green Monster seats of course!

Just some thoughts!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

These things happen. Get carried away, do something stupid, and 99% of the time nothing happens. Then it does. . Fortunately, this was not more serious than it was. Settle it fairly. Learn a lesson and move on. No reason for more litigation to further enrich the lawyers. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Come on....the first thing these players do when there is a dispute w/ the league or they want a new contract is hire a team of lawyers.......Sorry, but most people, and especially baseball players are greedy and would screw you any chance they get.......

Does that make it right?  

Are you saying that hiring a lawyer to protect your personal best interests is wrong?  Is it against the law?  You don't think that Gomes and the Sox already consulting with legal cousnel BEFORE contacting the injured party?  Do you really think they would try and work something out with getting proper legal advice first?  If want your car fixed do you go to an auto mechanic?  If you have a medical problem do you go to a doctor?

but the real point was that baseball players and baseball owners have a reputation for being greedy cheaters - why in the world would you make a handshake agreement with them?  if you want to - go right ahead.  I just think it would be foolish.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Wow, heated debate!

Kicking the beer can was stupid, perhaps some one on the field should have said something to stop him.

A cut to the face or hands bleeds a lot because of all the small blood vessels that feed the area.  They often look worse than they are.

As we get older our skin becomes thinner so it can tear easily.  This cut probably looks worse than it is.  This shouldn't have happened but I doubt this man was seriously injured.

I was hit right above the eye by my brother when I was five, it was an accident, I think LOL!

The doctor, his nurse and my mom had to hold me down while I had stitches.  I guess I was a pretty strong little kid.  I have spent fifty five years with this scar and some how managed to live a full life.

Since my brother was only six I thought it best not to get in touch with a lawyer ;0)

It was a stupid act but I don't think there was any malice involved.  If it were me I wouldn't get in touch with a lawyer.  I would like box seats to all the post season games and some tickets to the 2014 season.  Green Monster seats of course!

Just some thoughts!

the scary thing is that Gomes is supposed to be a leader on this team

thank God no one else followed his lead!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

FULL MEDICAL CARE

AUTOGRAPHS FROM EVERYONE

AND A NEW POLICY IN PLACE CALLED THE "JONNY GOMES IDIOT POLICY" DICTATING EVERY PLAYER UNDERSTAND THE DO's AND DON'Ts over fan interaction - every player has to be trained on the policy and sign it and I want records of this every year.  It would be important for me to be sure that this didn't happen to someone else in the future.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Are you saying that hiring a lawyer to protect your personal best interests is wrong?  Is it against the law?  You don't think that Gomes and the Sox already consulting with legal cousnel BEFORE contacting the injured party?  Do you really think they would try and work something out with getting proper legal advice first?  If want your car fixed do you go to an auto mechanic?  If you have a medical problem do you go to a doctor?

but the real point was that baseball players and baseball owners have a reputation for being greedy cheaters - why in the world would you make a handshake agreement with them?  if you want to - go right ahead.  I just think it would be foolish.......

[/QUOTE]

IF Gomes and the Sox contacted the injured party first it was a goodwill gesture.  What generally happens is that the injured party contacts the "injuring" party first.  If you got run into on the street wouldn't you make the first move to settle things?  Or would you wait for the guy who ran into you to come forward - which might never happen.

I think you're missing a real point here, and it's this.  Why not try to work out a settlement agreeable to both parties, THEN have the Sox lawers write up an agreement for the gentleman's lawyer to review.  If it's agreeable to both parties everyone is happy. 

As I said earlier, unless, of course, the reason for contacting the lawyer is to "cash in" on the injury. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to S5's comment:

IF Gomes and the Sox contacted the injured party first it was a goodwill gesture.  What generally happens is that the injured party contacts the "injuring" party first.  If you got run into on the street wouldn't you make the first move to settle things?  Or would you wait for the guy who ran into you to come forward - which might never happen.

I think you're missing a real point here, and it's this.  Why not try to work out a settlement agreeable to both parties, THEN have the Sox lawers write up an agreement for the gentleman's lawyer to review.  If it's agreeable to both parties everyone is happy. 

As I said earlier, unless, of course, the reason for contacting the lawyer is to "cash in" on the injury. 

[/QUOTE]

because you need to do it RIGHT from the beginning or it can be a harder mess to clean up if you don't - making it harder for the lawyers later and costing you more $....you don't have to tell your lawyer to go in for the kill that first call - just you want to discuss how to resolve the matter - but you let a PRO do it......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

(a) Gomes did something really stupid. Something really, really stupid.

(b) Someone official should have stopped him.

(c) Gomes' only intent was sharing a joyous moment with the fans, not injuring someone.

(d) He and the Sox should reach out to the man, if they haven't already, to beg forgiveness and offer everything from paying his medical bills to box seats to throwing out the first pitch of a playoff game to a date with Jenny Dell.

(e) Assuming the Sox do the above, this does not need to be a legal matter.

(f) The notion that Johnny Gomes committed a crime and should have been arrested is nonsense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Wow, heated debate!

Just some thoughts!

Thanks for your thoughts and sharing your life history with us.  I hope all is well with you and Bill.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

(c) Gomes' only intent was sharing a joyous moment with the fans, not injuring someone.

(d) He and the Sox should reach out to the man, if they haven't already, to beg forgiveness and offer everything from paying his medical bills to box seats to throwing out the first pitch of a playoff game to a date with Jenny Dell.

(f) The notion that Johnny Gomes committed a crime and should have been arrested is nonsense.

You're using too much common sense, you really have to stop that and do what andrewmitch says: SUE. But seriously, I cant say for sure that I feel good about this team going forward. They may or may win anything, its hard for me to get any feel for it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I'll take a beer can to the forehead for a date with Jenny Dell.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

because you need to do it RIGHT from the beginning or it can be a harder mess to clean up if you don't - making it harder for the lawyers later and costing you more $....you don't have to tell your lawyer to go in for the kill that first call - just you want to discuss how to resolve the matter - but you let a PRO do it......

[/QUOTE]
    There's the bottom line, right there.  ^^^  It tells me everything I need to know about the posts in this entire thread. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Not if I get the chance to step in front of you!  :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

You're using too much common sense, you really have to stop that and do what andrewmitch says: SUE.But seriously, I cant say for sure that I feel good about this team going forward. They may or may win anything, its hard for me to get any feel for it.

That man's lacerated face is my case

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Exactly, you wouldn't have ducked like that other guy did!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

You're using too much common sense, you really have to stop that and do what andrewmitch says: SUE.But seriously, I cant say for sure that I feel good about this team going forward. They may or may win anything, its hard for me to get any feel for it.

That man's injured lacerated is my case

Is that Phil Morris? "Who told you to use the balm? Did I tell you to use the balm? Why did you use the balm? You shouldnt have used the balm!......"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I'll throw the can, make sure it knocks both of you unconscious, then carry away the fair maiden.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Is that Phil Morris? "Who told you to use the balm? Did I tell you to use the balm? Why did you use the balm? You shouldnt have used the balm!......"

"Now your face is shallow, unattractive, disgusting."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I'll throw the can, make sure it knocks both of you unconscious, then carry away the fair maiden.

You guys are so predictable LOL!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Wow, heated debate!

Just some thoughts!

the scary thing is that Gomes is supposed to be a leader on this team

thank God no one else followed his lead!!!!!

I hope he feels bad about what happened and I doubt he will do it again, or at least I hope he doesn't when they win the World Series!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I don't want a gash above my eye, but if it happened to me, I would be the happiest person there. I wouldn't be interested in any money. I would love to have tickets to the playoffs and possibly the world series. I don't think it would be a big deal for them to do that.

IMO I believe Gomes was just having fun with the fans, and giving them something to catch and take with them from the game. The majority was probably standing and ready to catch them. Unfortunately, it hit a guy just sitting there, but he's now officially part of the celebration. FTR I think Gomes and I would get along just fine as I'm sure I would have met him after the incident. They will, however, probably tell the players not to kick beer cans in the stands anymore. So, he's the first and last person to have that happen to them. What a story.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Whoa, whoa whoa. Pump the brakes. LD, let's not go overboard with a date w/ Jenny Dell. Is that all it takes is being a victim of a random act of stupidity to get a date w/ her? It's settled then. I'm buying season tickets for next year and then I'm hiring Andrew's team of lawyers. The plan is set ... suckers! .  Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

If I went to a Sox game and had this gash over my eye because of stupidity,I'd be {expletive} off.Especially coming from a player I was cheering for.He needs to be more responsible regarding his actions and I imagine that someone has or will speak to him about it.It wasn't the smartest thing for Gomes to do,and hopefully he get a little less carried away after they win the ALDS..

"Another day closer to the parade"

The only people talking to Gomes would be my lawyers

The only thing I am surprised by is that the injury wasn't worse

Why am I not a bit surprised your first move would be to run to a lawyer?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

this thread is awesome.

one thing is for certain.....when the Sox win the WS you can bet the farm not one player will be out on the field celebrating/interacting with the fans.

and that is a shame.

Sections
Shortcuts