Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

apparently i like hitler.  i would be way more pissed off if it was a 7 year old boy or girl that got bloodied by kick the can.  i do not value life the same.  afforded the opportunity i would jump in front of my son and take a bullet without hesitation so that he may live.

my son's life > my wife's life > my life

this is not up for debate

Fascist pig. Wink

[/QUOTE]

Evil!  Evil!  You are all evil.  Haven't you seen the size of that gigantic bandage covering the victim's boo boo?   I imagine he must have had zero stitches to close that horrific wound.  He will likely have to undergo years of plastic surgery....or 15 minutes with me explaining to him that most chicks dig scars.  Then he'll go out and create an actual scar on himself as he won't have a significant one from this farce as his horrific injury didn't even require a single stitch.  

(sorry Andrew....as I wrote several times last night, I think you are correct in your assessment that Gomes was wrong and reckless, the victim should be made whole, etc. But I think you are wildly exaggerating the scale of the specific, tiny injury and the potential for worse injuries from a punted, 12-ounce aluminum can.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

how would you guys feel if it was a sox player that got hit with the kicked beer can

perhaps at a  team BBQ on their day off

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I'd consultant with assistance of counsel first.

If it becomes a mess later, you need to have your lawyer involved from the beginning - the later he gets involved the harder the job becomes.

It's like when you get into a car accident - always file a report.  You don't have to contact insurance but you always have the option.  If you don't file a report, in most state you lose that option - or at least it becomes much harder.

Anyways, what Gomes did makes me sick.  If you did that to him he'd surely charge you instantly. 

This is a bit over an over reaction. He shouldn't of done it, it was careless. However they were celebrating with the fans, so risk has to be assumed by the fans. Also this about the worst thing that could have happen from this situation. People like you are the reason insurance is so high. It is silly to think that an apology and a couple tickets would make this go away. A cut above the eye does really effect after it had been treated. I bet you sued your kids friends parents if he twisted his ankle in their back yard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

how would you guys feel if it was a sox player that got hit with the kicked beer can

Wow Zac.  You know I have always been the greatest admirer of your fine art.  But, like the world before Dali, I was not ready for this turn into the surreal.  WTF is going on here??  This is blowing my mind.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

Evil!  Evil!  You are all evil.  Haven't you seen the size of that gigantic bandage covering the victim's boo boo?   I imagine he must have had zero stitches to close that horrific wound.  He will likely have to undergo years of plastic surgery....or 15 minutes with me explaining to him that most chicks dig scars.  Then he'll go out and create an actual scar on himself as he won't have a significant one from this farce as his horrific injury didn't even require a single stitch.  

(sorry Andrew....as I wrote several times last night, I think you are correct in your assessment that Gomes was wrong and reckless, the victim should be made whole, etc. But I think you are wildly exaggerating the scale of the specific, tiny injury and the potential for worse injuries from a punted, 12-ounce aluminum can.)

[/QUOTE]

First,according to the article,it wasn't a little boo-boo

"The older gentleman was struck directly above the left eye, suffering a deep laceration as a result."

Also,if it was an empty can,I'd probably agree with you.But,it was a 12 ounce aluminum can filled with beer.That had to hurt when it hit him in the face.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE] 

"The older gentleman was struck directly above the left eye, suffering a deep laceration as a result."

Also,if it was an empty can,I'd probably agree with you.But,it was a 12 ounce aluminum can filled with beer.That had to hurt when it hit him in the face.

I'm sure it did hurt.

Which is why the Sox should and, I believe, will take care of this gentleman.

I'm not sure I buy the "deep laceration description from the article.

Judging by the pic, it's not bleeding all that much.

Head lacerations usually bleed like a mother.

If that cut went all the way to the bone, I doubt the guy would be able to see out of his left eye.

I'm sure we'll all hear about it, if things get litigious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

[QUOTE]

Wow Zac.  You know I have always been the greatest admirer of your fine art.  But, like the world before Dali, I was not ready for this turn into the surreal.  WTF is going on here??  This is blowing my mind.

[/QUOTE]

+1,000   Zac's done some good work before but this is really good......trippy and funny.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

I understand completely.  No doubt it hurt a little bit.  Shocking too, no doubt.  But if you are given first aid at a ballpark and minutes later are back in your seat with a Band Aid over your eye.....it's a boo boo.

Surely you've suffered gashes in your skin....presumably from minor scratches to major wounds.  If it doesn't need to be stitched and you are back in your seat minutes later either you are showing it's nothing and moving on.....or you are improving your negotiating position by showing your pain and suffering on camera.

Again, for Bill:

1. If it was nothing he'd be back in his seat, annoyed but unbowed.
    2. If it was a major issue, hospital.
    3. If it was serious but not ambulatory, straight back home.
    4. If he was looking to cash in, back in seat with a Band Aid on your boo boo in front of the cameras.

Obviously it's 1 or 4.  I assume the best of people so vote for and hope for 1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Also re "Deep laceration".  What a joke!  I'm assuming the Fenway Park first aid team doesn't stitch up wounds i.e. they would have to send the patient to a hospital.  Happy to be corrected if that's wrong.

If I am right....how the #¤%& could it be a "deep laceration" if it didn't require stitches? 

Just yellow journalistic, ambulance chasing, Helen Lovejoyian self pity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You guys are completely missing the point

The degree of the injury is only relevent in terms of the size of a civil lawsuit.  It has absolutely no impact on the criminal charge of reckless endangerment.

Furthermore, not one person here has answered the question I posed many times:

What do you think would have happened to a fan if the fan kicked a beer can and hit a player - even if were only a little boo-boo?  And for the purpose of this example, let's make the Sox player the one and only Jonny Gomes (and let's remember all the cheap wussy shots he took at Coco when Coco was already pinned down by 3 of his other teammates and Coco could not take a swing back at Clubhouse Leader Jonny). 

I'd like to know what Gomes reaction would be. 

What the other players reactions would be. 

Do you think his teammates would be saying "it was only a boo boo" get over it!?

What the POLICE actions would be. 

What Fenway security would had done. 

What ownership would had done. 

How that would affect new policies in Fenway.

Would that fan ever be allowed back in Fenway?

How the media and radio talk shows would had reported it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

You are the only one who has turned this into a criminal complaint.

How about you answer your own questions?

The correct answer to all of them is that no one knows, just as no one knows what happened as a result of this incident.  And quite frankly, it's none of our business.  We can speculate what might happen, but we don't know.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

How about you answer your own questions?

The correct answer to all of them is that no one knows, just as no one kows what happened as a result of this incident.  And quite frankly, it's none of our business.  We can speculate what might happen, but we don't know.

Because Reckless Endangerment is a Class B Misdemeanor

Let us understand, Gomes not only endangered the man who was hit, but he endangered every fan in that entire section.  He actions were a menace to public safety.  If you can't see that then I hope that never happens to you or anyone in your family.

Now....................

So go ahead and speculate

Gomes would had charged into the stands

His teammates would had supported him - maybe trying to pull him off though

Police and Fenway security would have carried the guy off

Fenway would have new policies that would be announced before each game

Ownership would had pressed charges and banned the guy for life from Fenway

The media would be talking about it and sympathisizing with Gomes while heavily criticizing the fan

No one would be referring to the damage as just a boo-boo

The fan would not be able to trade his autograph or season tickets to watch him work in exchange for a bailout

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Here's a thought.

Rather than be talking about what this injured buy SHOULD do or what he MIGHT be entitled to, how's about we just let him do whatever he thinks is right and keep our collective noses out of it?

Speaking only for myself (who else?) the last thing I want or need is some do-gooder making a mountain out of a molehill when it's none of his business. 

Accidents happen, and not every accident requires a lawyer or legislative action to be sure it never happens again. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

[QUOTE]

Here's a paragraph and a link to read the rest of the article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/jonny-gomes-injures-fan-punting-beer-cans-stands-070333037--mlb.html

Here's one eyewitness courtesy of The Inquisitr via Sports Grid:

According to a comment posted at the SportsGrid website, “My wife and I literally had to duck so as not to get hit by this same beer can punted by Gomes. We turned around to see who it hit and saw this gentleman disoriented and bleeding profusely.” Another purported eyewitness stated that “He was bleeding profusely and luckily Fenway First Aid was quick to respond.”

ouch!!!..unfortunate accident, probably not the wisest thing to do but still an accident, hope the Sox can get ahead of this one and not have this blow up....hope that fan is ok...

[/QUOTE]

An accident? I guess if you call doing something really dumb an accident.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Shouldn't Gomes be the one reaching out to the fan?

If I went to a Sox game and had this gash over my eye because of stupidity,I'd be {expletive} off.Especially coming from a player I was cheering for.He needs to be more responsible regarding his actions and I imagine that someone has or will speak to him about it.It wasn't the smartest thing for Gomes to do,and hopefully he get a little less carried away after they win the ALDS..

"Another day closer to the parade"

The only people talking to Gomes would be my lawyers

The only thing I am surprised by is that the injury wasn't worse

[/QUOTE]

Yuh.  This is exactly why this country needs more lawyers.  :-(

Why not make contact with Gomes, tell him what happened and see what his reaction is before contacting a lawyer?  If you get a sincere apology and a guarantee to make things right, then do that rather than immediately think, "SUE!"

JMHO

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

I don't want a gash above my eye, but if it happened to me, I would be the happiest person there. I wouldn't be interested in any money. I would love to have tickets to the playoffs and possibly the world series. I don't think it would be a big deal for them to do that.

IMO I believe Gomes was just having fun with the fans, and giving them something to catch and take with them from the game. The majority was probably standing and ready to catch them. Unfortunately, it hit a guy just sitting there, but he's now officially part of the celebration. FTR I think Gomes and I would get along just fine as I'm sure I would have met him after the incident. They will, however, probably tell the players not to kick beer cans in the stands anymore. So, he's the first and last person to have that happen to them. What a story.

A broken beer can? What about a hat? Shirt? Glove? Spikes? You are truly naive and just plain dumb.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

If it becomes a mess later, you need to have your lawyer involved from the beginning - the later he gets involved the harder the job becomes.

It's like when you get into a car accident - always file a report.  You don't have to contact insurance but you always have the option.  If you don't file a report, in most state you lose that option - or at least it becomes much harder.

Anyways, what Gomes did makes me sick.  If you did that to him he'd surely charge you instantly. 

This is a bit over an over reaction. He shouldn't of done it, it was careless. However they were celebrating with the fans, so risk has to be assumed by the fans. Also this about the worst thing that could have happen from this situation. People like you are the reason insurance is so high. It is silly to think that an apology and a couple tickets would make this go away. A cut above the eye does really effect after it had been treated. I bet you sued your kids friends parents if he twisted his ankle in their back yard.

[/QUOTE]

Risk? So if he threw a ball into the crowd that would be part of the risk? What kind of risk?

The only kind of risk that should have been inolved is getting sprayed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

One simple question: What happens at games when fans throw objects, like a beer can on the field during a game? 

1. Everyone is outraged, they point fingers at who did it and usually they get caught.

The ramifications? They get kicked out of the stadium and get arrested.

Gomes did the same thing but almost worse in that he risked women and children.

What has happened to Gomes? From what I've read, nothing so far.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Here's a thought.

Rather than be talking about what this injured buy SHOULD do or what he MIGHT be entitled to, how's about we just let him do whatever he thinks is right and keep our collective noses out of it?

Speaking only for myself (who else?) the last thing I want or need is some do-gooder making a mountain out of a molehill when it's none of his business. 

Accidents happen, and not every accident requires a lawyer or legislative action to be sure it never happens again. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Because this affects me to.  I'd like to be able to go a game without having the risk of being hammered with a beer can.  Of course, if the Sox don't address the issue I simply won't go back but that would be a shame. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Risk? So if he threw a ball into the crowd that would be part of the risk? What kind of risk?

The only kind of risk that should have been inolved is getting sprayed.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly - people can't discern b/t reasonable and customary risk and something that should not be expected to happen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

One simple question: What happens at games when fans throw objects, like a beer can on the field during a game? 

1. Everyone is outraged, they point fingers at who did it and usually they get caught.

The ramifications? They get kicked out of the stadium and get arrested.

Gomes did the same thing but almost worse in that he risked women and children.

What has happened to Gomes? From what I've read, nothing so far.

EXACTLY

And people on these boards actually enjoy the DOUBLE STANDARD and think it would great because they got to have an encounter with a real athlete. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Here's a paragraph and a link to read the rest of the article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/jonny-gomes-injures-fan-punting-beer-cans-stands-070333037--mlb.html

Here's one eyewitness courtesy of The Inquisitr via Sports Grid:

According to a comment posted at the SportsGrid website, “My wife and I literally had to duck so as not to get hit by this same beer can punted by Gomes. We turned around to see who it hit and saw this gentleman disoriented and bleeding profusely.” Another purported eyewitness stated that “He was bleeding profusely and luckily Fenway First Aid was quick to respond.”

ouch!!!..unfortunate accident, probably not the wisest thing to do but still an accident, hope the Sox can get ahead of this one and not have this blow up....hope that fan is ok...

[/QUOTE]

An accident? I guess if you call doing something really dumb an accident.

[/QUOTE]

I know it's amazing that some people think Gomes did it by accident. 

Gomes made the conscience decision to kick a full beer can into the stand

He made the conscience decision to direct his kick directly into a section that the most densley populated

He made the conscience decision to lauch the beer can directly at the people

Did he mean to hurt anyone? Probably not....we really dont know 100% but a reasonable man can only deduce that a full beer can in the middle of an unexpecting crowd COULD result in a serious injury

And then what did he do?  He continue to lauch more beer cans.

Accident?  That's a fairly loose definition of an accident in my opinion.  Johnny CLUBOUSE LEADER and First Class Thugh Gomes CREATED the incident 100% completely by HIS OWN PERSONAL ACTIONS.  That is no accident.  He is FULLY RESPONSIBLE.

But go ahead and keep calling it an accident that lead to a little boo boo and keep rooting for that thug......that's what he is - he should had been arrested........WE WOULD HAD BEEN!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

If it was me, I'd feel like I had a harmless cut over my eye and a great story to tell for years to come.  I wouldn't be looking for some kind of "compensation" for it.  It was not the brightest thing to do, but there was no intent, it wasn't malicious and it was really nothing more than someone getting caught up in a celebratory moment. My guess is that the Sox Organization and Jonny Gomes handled this correctly & privately.  That said, I hope I never rear end certain people on this board in a car accident.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

If it was me, I'd feel I like had a harmless cut over my eye and a great story to tell for years to come.  I wouldn't be looking for some kind of "compensation" for it.  It was not the brightest thing to do, but there was no intent, it wasn't malicious and it was really nothing more than someone getting caught up in a celebratory moment. My guess is that the Sox Organization and Jonny Gomes handled this correctly & privately.  That said, I hope I never rear end certain people on this board in a car accident.  

No Intent?  Exactly what does one think would happen when one launches a full beer can into the middle of a crowd?

What would you do to me if I did that to you? 

What would you do to me if I rear ended you? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

If it was me, I'd feel I like had a harmless cut over my eye and a great story to tell for years to come.  I wouldn't be looking for some kind of "compensation" for it.  It was not the brightest thing to do, but there was no intent, it wasn't malicious and it was really nothing more than someone getting caught up in a celebratory moment. My guess is that the Sox Organization and Jonny Gomes handled this correctly & privately.  That said, I hope I never rear end certain people on this board in a car accident.  

WHIPLASH!  WHIPLASH!!!