Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

In response to S5's comment:

In response to jasko2248's comment:

If it was me, I'd feel I like had a harmless cut over my eye and a great story to tell for years to come.  I wouldn't be looking for some kind of "compensation" for it.  It was not the brightest thing to do, but there was no intent, it wasn't malicious and it was really nothing more than someone getting caught up in a celebratory moment. My guess is that the Sox Organization and Jonny Gomes handled this correctly & privately.  That said, I hope I never rear end certain people on this board in a car accident.  

WHIPLASH!  WHIPLASH!!!

Haha!  Exactly.  Some people are just angry at the world all the time.  I guess that's one way to go through life.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Here's a thought.

Rather than be talking about what this injured buy SHOULD do or what he MIGHT be entitled to, how's about we just let him do whatever he thinks is right and keep our collective noses out of it?

Speaking only for myself (who else?) the last thing I want or need is some do-gooder making a mountain out of a molehill when it's none of his business. 

Accidents happen, and not every accident requires a lawyer or legislative action to be sure it never happens again. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Because this affects me to.  I'd like to be able to go a game without having the risk of being hammered with a beer can.  Of course, if the Sox don't address the issue I simply won't go back but that would be a shame. 

It would be a shame.  I'd recommend that you not attend any game where a player might be celebrating and might kick a can into the stands and you might be struck by it.  Other than that, I think you're ok. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If it was me, I'd feel I like had a harmless cut over my eye and a great story to tell for years to come.  I wouldn't be looking for some kind of "compensation" for it.  It was not the brightest thing to do, but there was no intent, it wasn't malicious and it was really nothing more than someone getting caught up in a celebratory moment. My guess is that the Sox Organization and Jonny Gomes handled this correctly & privately.  That said, I hope I never rear end certain people on this board in a car accident.  

WHIPLASH!  WHIPLASH!!!

Haha!  Exactly.  Some people are just angry at the world all the time.  I guess that's one way to go through life.

I didn't create the incident.  I wasn't looking for it.  Gomes committed the act.  Which is Reckless Endangerment which is a pretty serious crime.  But hey, he's a ball player for the team you like so give him a pass....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Here's a thought.

Rather than be talking about what this injured buy SHOULD do or what he MIGHT be entitled to, how's about we just let him do whatever he thinks is right and keep our collective noses out of it?

Speaking only for myself (who else?) the last thing I want or need is some do-gooder making a mountain out of a molehill when it's none of his business. 

Accidents happen, and not every accident requires a lawyer or legislative action to be sure it never happens again. 

Because this affects me to.  I'd like to be able to go a game without having the risk of being hammered with a beer can.  Of course, if the Sox don't address the issue I simply won't go back but that would be a shame. 

It would be a shame.  I'd recommend that you not attend any game where a player might be celebrating and might kick a can into the stands and you might be struck by it.  Other than that, I think you're ok. 

Let me see if I understad you.  You think it is a reasonable for a fan to expect there could be a chance of getting a few full beer cans kicked at you?  And that you "might be struck by it"........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

No Intent?  Exactly what does one think would happen when one launches a full beer can into the middle of a crowd?

What would you do to me if I did that to you? 

I probably would have caught it and tapped the top so it wouldn't be foamy when I opened it and drank it. 

What would you do to me if I rear ended you?  

A 16 year old girl was texting and rear ended me in line at a light.  I didn't do a thing, but tell her parents that she had no chance to stop because a car stopped short up ahead.  I wasn't injured and she was pretty hysterical.  I'm a big believer in karma, so I don't call attorneys looking for a handout.  It's served me very well so far in life. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No Intent?  Exactly what does one think would happen when one launches a full beer can into the middle of a crowd?

I probably would have caught it and tapped the top so it wouldn't be foamy when I opened it and drank it. 

A 16 year old girl was texting and rear ended me in line at a light.  I didn't do a thing, but tell her parents that she had no chance to stop because a car stopped short up ahead.  I wasn't injured and she was pretty hysterical.  I'm a big believer in karma, so I don't call attorneys looking for a handout.  It's served me very well so far in life. 

Well that's your choice.  However, you did the rest of us quite a disservice because now we have someone who got away with texting and driving and she could had really hurt or killed someone and now she's more apt to just go ahead and do it again. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Here's a thought.

Let me see if I understad you.  You think it is a reasonable for a fan to expect there could be a chance of getting a few full beer cans kicked at you?  And that you "might be struck by it"........

Now you're finally getting it.

No, I don't think it's at all reasonable to think that if a person goes to another game where there is a celebration going on that a player might kick a can into the stands and that person might be hit by it. 

I wonder what kind of odds Las Vegas would give on that happening.

So I think you'd be safe to go.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Well that's your choice.  However, you did the rest of us quite a disservice because now we have someone who got away with texting and driving and she could had really hurt or killed someone and now she's more apt to just go ahead and do it again. 

Stop being such an angry little man.  Life's waaayyy to short!   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's going to be even shorter if people continue to encourage such reckless and potentially deadly behavior.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No, I don't think it's at all reasonable to think that if a person goes to another game where there is a celebration going on that a player might kick a can into the stands and that person might be hit by it. 

[/QUOTE]

OK great.  Now we are getting somewhere.......So you agree:  It is NOT Reasonable for a person to go to another game where there is a celebration going on that a player might kick a can into the stands and that person might be hit by it.

Are we in agreement on that?  Yes or No?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

It's going to be even shorter if people continue to encourage such reckless and potentially deadly behavior.

By a bio-hazardous suit and live in a bubble.  You'll be fine.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

OK great.  Now we are getting somewhere.......So you agree:  It is NOT Reasonable for a person to go to another game where there is a celebration going on that a player might kick a can into the stands and that person might be hit by it.

[/QUOTE]

No.  What I said was that it's not reasonable to expect it to happen AGAIN.  It's totally up to you, but I wouldn't stay away based on that.  I'd risk it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

By a bio-hazardous suit and live in a bubble.  You'll be fine.  

WRONG.  Accepting some risk is part of life.  A true accident on the road due to weather or a mechanical failure?  Sure.  That's what we have insurance for.  Someone deciding that their text message is more important than other driver's safety?  Not part of the deal.

Same with a game.  Foul balls, broken bats - that is reasonable and customary risk.  Running to the first row to get splashed with champange and you get your eyes burned? Yeah, you agreed to that.

But I think most reasonable people who go to a ball game would never expect to have a player delibertly kick full beer cans directly at them............That is not "reasonable and generally accepted risk".......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No.  What I said was that it's not reasonable to expect it to happen AGAIN.  It's totally up to you, but I wouldn't stay away based on that.  I'd risk it. 

GREAT!  Then my point has been made.  It is NOT reasonable to expect to be kicked in the head with a beer can when you attend a game.  Therefore, what Gomes did was Reckless Endangerment.......

• You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Bottom line is if I did that to Gomes you'd all be piling on me 100X worse than that wussy did to Coco....and I would had been arrested on the spot...........

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

GREAT!  Then my point has been made.  It is NOT reasonable to expect to be kicked in the head with a beer can when you attend a game.  Therefore, what Gomes did was Reckless Endangerment.......

[/QUOTE]

Wow, you get more dramatic with each post!  Next you'll say that Gomes deliberately picked that guy out of the crowd and aimed for him.  You sound like a Texas cheerleader mom!  It was an accident! Get over it.  Spend the next year crucifying Gomes every time he makes an out or an error (I have no doubt you will, since J.D. Drew has retired), but get over the beer can! 

[/QUOTE]

Wow, you get more dramatic with each post!  Next you'll say that Gomes deliberately picked that guy out of the crowd and aimed for him.  You sound like a Texas cheerleader mom!  It was an accident! Get over it.  Spend the next year crucifying Gomes every time he makes an out or an error (I have no doubt you will, since J.D. Drew has retired), but get over the beer can! 

[/QUOTE]

-------------

IT wasn't an accident and I never said he deliberltly picked that guy out.  You realize that he Endangered EVERYONE in that section, right?  Not just the one guy who got it?  Everyone in that section was a victim of Gomes "accident".

Gomes made the conscience decision to kick a full beer can into the stand

He made the conscience decision to direct his kick directly into a section that the most densley populated

He made the conscience decision to lauch the beer can directly at the people

I guess it just SLIPPED right???  Normally Gomes has the precision to kick full beer cans 50 feet into a crowded section so that it GENTLY LANDS IN THE ONE EMPTY SEAT.  This one just got away from him.  Hey, it happens......

Oppps, sorry?  Gomes needs to be held accountable for his actions.

If you think I hated JD Drew or Carl Crawford you ain't seen nothing yet...........

And I sure hope if Gomes needs legal counsel that he pays for it out of pocket:

Peter Gammons         @pgammo

Calling PED users "selfish," Jonny Gones on MLBPA's ARod defense:"I hope our dues aren't being used for his lawyers' fees"

6:47 AM - 6 Aug 2013

I wonder if that poor fan thinks that Johnny Thugs is well,perhaps a bit "SELFISH" too?

by the way, I was at the Game Clincher in 1990 (Bruno's Catch) and none of the players even came close to behaving the way Johnny Thugs did.....I assumed the reasonable and expected risk and guess what?  No one was stupid I mean "unfortunate" enough to ACCIDENTLY kick a full beer can into the crowded stands..........

• You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

All I'm saying is that while it IS up to you, I wouldn't stay away from a game in fear of it happening.

I think you should take your concern to the Boston Police Department and DEMAND that Gomes be arrested and charged with reckless endangerment.  If they refuse you still have the option to make a citizen's arrest - and very probably SUE the BPD for not enforcing the law!

Surprised

All I'm saying is that while it IS up to you, I wouldn't stay away from a game in fear of it happening.

I think you should take your concern to the Boston Police Department and DEMAND that Gomes be arrested and charged with reckless endangerment.  If they refuse you still have the option to make a citizen's arrest - and very probably SUE the BPD for not enforcing the law!

Surprised

I don't have the authority to do that.  Shame on the BPD for not investigating and making an arrest and shame on Ownership for not making a statement about it and punishing Gomes.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Surprised

I think I would prefer he stay away.  Wouldn't want some poor kid to trip over someone's feet and spill a soda or drop some cotton candy on him.  Poor kid would be in juvy for years and I shudder to think of the lawsuit against whoever he tripped over.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

how would you guys feel if it was a sox player that got hit with the kicked beer can

perhaps at a  team BBQ on their day off             

Wow Zac.  You know I have always been the greatest admirer of your fine art.  But, like the world before Dali, I was not ready for this turn into the surreal.  WTF is going on here??  This is blowing my mind.

+1,000   Zac's done some good work before but this is really good......trippy and funny.

thanks 4 your kind words

just having a little fun with

red  neck  sox horseshoes

no worries I promise to post

a pic of the yankees playing golf next week

while sox are in the PO

• Sections
    Shortcuts