Red Sox Fan Questions

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Red Sox Fan Questions

Sure, I'll bite. I have been a Sox fan since the late 1950s when I was about 8-9 years old. I grew up in Wakefield MA and went to a few of the games during my younger years. I remember going to one Sox v Yankees game and my dad and I were going to be about an hour late and we figured we would show up around the fourth inning. We were wrong. By the time we got there we WERE an hour late but it was just the bottom of the first inning and the Sox were already down 11-0. I remember watching Dick Radatz in the early 60s. One time the Sox were again playing the Yankees and it was the top of the ninth, Sox up by a run, but the Yankees had the bases loaded and no one was out. In came the RP called "The Monster". It took him just nine pitches to strike out the side. As a youngster I took my transister radio to bed with me to listen to the Sox games, hiding that fact from my parents.

I have been a Sox fan longer than most people here were just a gleam in their father's eye. I am also a fan of the other major Boston area teams although I have been in Northern CA since 1977. I don't think I have lost any interest in the team at all and always want what is best for the team, even if it means taking one on the chin for a season or two in order for better prospects down the road.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Growing up in western Mass meant that you were either a Red Sox or Yankee fan.  I was a die-hard Sox fan sleeping with my baseball glove on my pillow.  These were the days when seeing a game on TV was a BIG deal, and the TV reception was more snow than picture.  The same held true for the radio trying to listen to Curt Gowdy through all the static. It was exciting to get the paper and comb through the box score and read the articles etc....priceless memories.

My passion for baseball continued throughout my life, but a very big moment came on the way to school on morning.  At the time, I was about 12.  In the mailbox, was a letter addressed to me...personally to me, which in itself was a big deal.  I opened it up and it was a letter from Ted Williams!!  He told me that he had heard I was a great ballplayer and to keep up the work and someday I might play for the Red Sox.  How he ever got my name and address to this day is still a mystery.  Well, I continued playing ball and never made it to the pro's, but the old Colt-45's came knocking on my door...that's another story.  So, I would say the letter was certainly an inspirational moment in my life.

My passion for the game hasn't changed, but what it has changd to saddens me.  When I think of Ted Williams, Don Buddin, Yaz, Petrocelli etc., etc., I think of Red Sox.  When I think of Mantle..Yankees, Ripkin..Orioles, Colavito...Indians...etc.  It's not the same anymore.  People will say it's better, but I disagree.  Free agency has changed the game from love to money. There is so much player movement in today's game that I wonder who the fan supports...the logo? The same, I feel, can be said for the DH.....gone is the strategy....sigh, Oh well, a dinasaur I've become.

Anyway, my wife(a big fan by osmosis) and I watch every game possible, go to Fenway(she hadn't been until recently), travel to different parks, or watch TV.

So, in essence, my passion hasn't left, but it will sadly never be like it was.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Born a Sox fan.  Born and raised in NH and love baseball, so that was that.  The first I really remember was '67 when I was 6. Rico was my favorite.

Still a fan just as much because I still love baseball.  Try not to miss the Sox when they come to town, but still go to see the Mariners on occasion because I love baseball.  

I like to replay seasons using Strat-o-Matic.  Even the seasons the Sox were bad.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Illinois, I still prefer to listen to sports on radio, there is something I like about having to use the imagination for the video. I skip through the video after most games. A good baseball radio team can relate more about a game than a video broadcast. I love the spoken and written language more than video. I think you will be getting a better does of sports in the amateur setting. BTW, ever see the movie "Last Summer"?  If you drove all the way from Illinois, that was a pretty long drive.

Softlaw,

I grew up in Connecticut, my family went to the Cape every summer until I was in my teens, and then we went to NH for a couple years.  Job took me to Illinois almost 30 years ago now.  When my folks were still alive, I took my family to the Cape a couple times as well and you are right, it is a long drive.

Never saw the movie you mentioned.  I still go to HS wrestling meets even though my older son is no longer competing.  Love the sport and Illinois is one of the best HS wrestling states in the country (4th or 5th depending on the year) so I got to see him wrestle some of the best in the country.  Held his own and even won a couple of those matches.  Like I said, we are wrapping up 16 years of youth and HS sports as my youngest graduates next month.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

I remember the days when Randy 'Macho Man' Savage and The Hulkster dominated Illinois high school wrestling......good times.....

Who? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

How did you become a Red Sox fan?

Because:  Oil Can + dispise NYY

Why are you still a Red Sox fan?

You cannot simply undo what has been done.  RS Fan for Life.

Is your interest level as keen, today, as it was in the past? 

keen?  yes.  Rabid?  no

If not, what year or years would you say your interest level peaked? 

1999-2007 was the ultimate time to be a RS fan

And if it has declined, why has it declined?

i miss Manny.

I look forward to the responses of all of my dear Red Sox freinds.

Best Wishes,

Softlaw

see above for answers

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I remember the days when Randy 'Macho Man' Savage and The Hulkster dominated Illinois high school wrestling......good times.....

Macho Man always spoke as if he had to take a dump.   LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Macho Man always spoke as if he had to take a dump.   LOL

=======================================

What a fantastic in sight you have as I now recall Randy used to talk hesitatingly as if restraining himself from flatulating fearing he might soil his pants.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Having been born in Portland as opposed to states where there are multiple teams within 100 miles or so, I would assume that at least 95% of sports fans were Boston teams fans. As a pre-teen and teen ager, if the Sox lost I'd not be able to sleep and was miserable for days. Now, of course, with family, retirement. illnesses, expenses, the Boston teams winning and losing is not as life and death as it was. My father never had the chance to see the Sox win a World Series as I did in 2004 and 2007. But he, as I, suffered in 1946, 4-3 loss to Cards, 1967, 4-3 loss again to Cards, 1975, 4-3 loss to Reds & 1986 with the Billy Buckner bobble, 4-3 loss to the Mets. Then there were the playoffs to the hated Yankees in 1978 with Bucky Dents' homer and then in 2003 , Araon Boone's walkoff from Wakefield.

Of course, no joy can surpass the 0-3 comeback in 2004 and against the hated Yankees. But I remember too other great moments like Dave Henderson's HR vs Angels in 1986 that helped Sox get into the World Series.  But maybe the most favorable memorable game was # 6 in 1975 when Bernie Carbo hit a pinch hit 3 run homer to tie and Carlton Fisk's dramatic walk off in the 12 inning vs Reds.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to PikeJr's comment:

How? My Dad was big fan of Lefty Grove and Jimmie Foxx, and became a Red Sox fan when Mack sold them to the Red Sox. Thus, I became a fan because of my Dad's favortie MLB team at the time.

Why am I still a fan? Because I enjoy the history and the entertianment factor of the games and the business of Red Sox baseball

Is my interest level as keen today? No, it peaked back in 1975 when the radio broadcasts were all static and I had to wait until the next day to read the paper and see if the Red Sox had won or lost. The lack of immeidate information, in retrospect, raised the suspense and seemed to contribute to the entertainment and enjoyment of following the Red Sox. The journey was more interesting when every specific detail was lacking.

It has declined because of the overexposure and 24 hour news cycle and 24 hour sale of the brand. Subject time and place is a major factor, but the story of the "curse" was a more compelling journey than the "end of the curse". I'll be interested to hear from life long Cubs fans about their feelings on that aspect of the journey, if I live that long;)

I find more comedy in the entertainment of Red Sox baseball, today, because of how superficial the sale is and the responses to the critics. In the end, I still enjoy it and continue to be entertained by it.    

You never gave any hint or a clue in your years of posting here that you actually enjoy being a fan and love your Red Sox.

It is obvious to all that you enjoy stirring the pot, being a contrarian and a devil's advocate, and pretending to be concerned. With "Red Sox fans" like you the forum doesn't need any enemy rival fans. Yankee fans like some of our players at least, you hate them all.

If your not going to stick to the topic on the thread then dont post. If your going to come here to question, or argue with someone with no intention of posting according to the topic then that is trolling and you will be reported.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.