Red Sox farm system ranked fifth ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Sox farm system ranked fifth ...

... by columnist Jim Callis of Baseball America:

http://ht.ly/gCz19

The rankings by Callis are distinct from Baseball America's upcoming preliminary talent rankings.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Red Sox farm system ranked fifth ...

My guess is that this is a little surprisingly high of a rating than you expected. I'm not saying you have been wrong, but you seem to not take too much stock in our prospects and often rely on rankings by BA. Maybe we will see some adjustments made in your evaluations of some of our trade proposals once the actual individual player rankings come out. (Or, have they yet?)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

behind the cards, mariners, marlins and rangers. not bad i guess. i never thought the cards would be at the top. i also don't pay attention to the NL.. the mariners i can see because their pitching prospects seem to be legit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is we have a good chance to move up even higher next year as some of our lower level prospects start to rise. Yes, every team has prospects on the rise, but only TB had more top draft picks than us over the past 2-3 years:

Sox picks:

2012: 3 in top 37 & 4 in top 87

2011: 4 in top 40 & 5 in top 81

2009: 3 in top 39 & 4 in top 57

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

My guess is that this is a little surprisingly high of a rating than you expected. I'm not saying you have been wrong, but you seem to not take too much stock in our prospects and often rely on rankings by BA. Maybe we will see some adjustments made in your evaluations of some of our trade proposals once the actual individual player rankings come out. (Or, have they yet?)

It's now so much that I don't place a high value on Red Sox prospects ... it's more that I don't place a particularly high value on prospects in general.

After strong years from Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes, Jackie Bradley and Henry Owens, I expected the Red Sox farm system* to move up from its No. 9 ranking by Baseball America in March 2012.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2012/2613155.html

* Will Middlebrooks, Felix Doubront and Ryan Lavarnway graduated from prospect status, but the Red Sox added Allen Webster

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

It's now so much that I don't place a high value on Red Sox prospects ... it's more that I don't place a particularly high value on prospects in general.

After strong years from Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes, Jackie Bradley and Henry Owens, I expected the Red Sox farm system* to move up from its No. 9 ranking by Baseball America in March 2012.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2012/2613155.html

* Will Middlebrooks, Felix Doubront and Ryan Lavarnway graduated from prospect status, but the Red Sox added Allen Webster

It's also nice to have a few recent "grads" that when added to our prospects really makes our young players pretty well-regarded.

We also have Iggy (Is he still a "prospect"?), de la Rosa (Is he offically still a propsect?), Kalsih (24), Morales (26), Tazawa (26), Ciriaco 26, Carpenter 26, and Beato (26).

Then there's: Buch 27, Mortensen 27, Miller (27), Bard 27, Gomez 27, Salty 27, Ellsbury, Pedey, Lester & Bailey 28, and Linares (28 is not so young)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We could be top 3 next year IMO. Especially after this years draft depending who we get.

Some sites have the Sox picking 3b/1b Kris Bryant this year. I hope so cause This kid could solve our 1b problems for many years. Hes a big kid with power and good defense.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2013/mlb-draft-profiles/Kris-Bryant

http://www.minorleagueball.com/mlb-bonus-baby/2012/10/15/3451300/2013-draft-profile-kris-bryant-1b-san-diego

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Jose Iglesias retains prospect status under the common definition, but Rubby de la Rosa does not.

Clay Buchholz is 28 years old while Jacoby Ellsbury and Jon Lester are each 29 years old. I suspect the Red Sox still have one of the oldest rosters in baseball.

Of Baseball America's Top 10 prospects for the Red Sox, six were first-round* picks, Garin Cecchini was a fourth-round pick, Allen Webster was an 18th-rounder acquired via trade, and Xander Bogaerts and Jose Iglesias were international signees.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614265.html

* including the sandwich round: Jackie Bradley with the 40th pick in 2011, Matt Barnes with the 19th pick in 2011, Henry Owens that 36th pick in 2011, Blake Swihart with the 26th pick in 2011, Bryce Brentz the 36th pick in 2010 and Deven Marrero the 24th pick in 2012.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The Sox ranked 10th, tied with Pitt for an average age of 29. The next 8 teams average age was less than .5 lower than 29 yrs old. Seattle had an average age of 28.5 in 2012.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The Sox ranked 10th, tied with Pitt for an average age of 29. The next 8 teams average age was less than .5 lower than 29 yrs old. Seattle had an average age of 28.5 in 2012.

ESPN has the Red Sox fourth at an average age of 28.0 and Seattle 29th at 26.1 despite the apparent inclusion of Raul Ibanez.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rosters/_/sort/average_age/order/true

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

ESPN has the Red Sox fourth at an average age of 28.0 and Seattle 29th at 26.1 despite the apparent inclusion of Raul Ibanez.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rosters/_/sort/average_age/order/true

Those were 2012 numbers I listed. Cant give an accurate number this year until the rosters are set. I Imagine the Sox will be around 28-29 again, which is a great number being right in the middle of prime years and having some experience under their belts already.

IMO, middle of the pack (28 or so) would be ideal. It says you have a good mix of youth and guys in their prime with some veteran presence.

From your list on ESPN it looks as if most teams are fairly young. Not one teams average age over 28, with 28.4 being the oldest. Thats not too bad.

I cant believe with all the talk of the NYY being so old, and yet are only .1 years older on average than the Sox.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

My guess is we have a good chance to move up even higher next year as some of our lower level prospects start to rise. Yes, every team has prospects on the rise, but only TB had more top draft picks than us over the past 2-3 years:

Sox picks:

This year due to the Sox picking 7th, they have the chance to add a legit impact player. Which also means that in each round thereafter we'll be in position to to take one of the better players available in each round. The name of the game in the bussiness of prosects is both bulk and quality. The more prospects you have that grade out as possessing ML ability, the better chances you have each year of one or more of them making the jump to the big leagues or to be used as trade chips to bolster the big league roster. That's simply based on the success/failure ratio of all players toiling in any one teams system.

In the end time will tell if the new CBA alters the lanscape of the big market clubs to sustain quality minor league programs given the new slotting rules and the changes to the FA compensation rules for players aquired during the season...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jose Iglesias retains prospect status under the common definition, but Rubby de la Rosa does not.

Clay Buchholz is 28 years old while Jacoby Ellsbury and Jon Lester are each 29 years old. I suspect the Red Sox still have one of the oldest rosters in baseball.

Yes, but they have a mix of a lot young players (under 29/29) and very old players, none of whom are signed for more than 2 more years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...Of Baseball America's Top 10 prospects for the Red Sox, six were first-round* picks, Garin Cecchini was a fourth-round pick, Allen Webster was an 18th-rounder acquired via trade, and Xander Bogaerts and Jose Iglesias were international signees.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614265.html

* including the sandwich round: Jackie Bradley with the 40th pick in 2011, Matt Barnes with the 19th pick in 2011, Henry Owens that 36th pick in 2011, Blake Swihart with the 26th pick in 2011, Bryce Brentz the 36th pick in 2010 and Deven Marrero the 24th pick in 2012.

I think I view sandwich picks more like second rounders, and having the 7th pick of the second round is pretty close to a sandwich pick, since I believe there will be less sandwich picks this year than recent drafts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I cant believe with all the talk of the NYY being so old, and yet are only .1 years older on average than the Sox.

But, look at how many of their oldest players are key components to their success and/or play key positions like Closer, SS, 3B, #2 starter, #3 starter...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Sox picks:

This year due to the Sox picking 7th, they have the chance to add a legit impact player. Which also means that in each round thereafter we'll be in position to to take one of the better players available in each round. The name of the game in the bussiness of prosects is both bulk and quality. The more prospects you have that grade out as possessing ML ability, the better chances you have each year of one or more of them making the jump to the big leagues or to be used as trade chips to bolster the big league roster. That's simply based on the success/failure ratio of all players toiling in any one teams system.

In the end time will tell if the new CBA alters the lanscape of the big market clubs to sustain quality minor league programs given the new slotting rules and the changes to the FA compensation rules for players aquired during the season...

This draft could be crucial for all the reasons you mentioned. We may not get picks this high again for quite some time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We could be top 3 next year IMO. Especially after this years draft depending who we get.

Some sites have the Sox picking 3b/1b Kris Bryant this year. I hope so cause This kid could solve our 1b problems for many years. Hes a big kid with power and good defense.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/mlb-bonus-baby/2012/10/15/3451300/2013-draft-profile-kris-bryant-1b-san-diego

His stance and swings remind me of Evan Longoria.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

His stance and swings remind me of Evan Longoria.  

The kid is a beast. If his game can translate to MLB, were talking 30+ HR power easily. Ive heard and read nothing but good about him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Baseball draftees are hard to evaluate and project. There is also disagreement among the best of the best scouts on who is better than someone else. Let's hope our management team makes the right choice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I hope they take a stud pitcher with that #7 pick, assuming one of excellent value is available. Top starting pitching is so hard to obtain now. It is advised to throw some numbers at it IMO. We have some guys who hae the potential to be #1 or 2 type pitchers but I'd still throw numbers at that option in the draft. We need that top level pitching staff. We can obtain the other players on the roster more easily via trade and FA.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pitchers seems harder to guess right at than hitters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

... by columnist Jim Callis of Baseball America:

http://ht.ly/gCz19

The rankings by Callis are distinct from Baseball America's upcoming preliminary talent rankings.

It would be nice to see another good young crop help this teams future ASAP.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Baseball draftees are hard to evaluate and project. There is also disagreement among the best of the best scouts on who is better than someone else. Let's hope our management team makes the right choice.

They largely have done so for the past 10 years, so let's hope it continues.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It seems to me that the scouting has improved over the years as well.  I still think baseballplayers are harder to project than in the NFL and the NBA, but I do think to some degree it is a safer bet in he top ten nowadays.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

They largely have done so for the past 10 years, so let's hope it continues.

They have had some hits and misses.

Going back 10 years (1-2 round picks only.):

(S) - supp pick

2003: D Murphy, M Murton (S), A Alvarez (S), M Hall  (Supps for Cliff Floyd)

2004: Pedroia (2nd round) We lost our #1 by signing Foulke.

2005: Ellsbury & Lowrie (S- O Cabrera), C Hansen & M Bowden (S- D Lowe), Buchholtz & J Egan (P Martinez) (We lost our 2 picks due to signing Renteria & D Wells)

2006: J Place, J Masterson (2nd), K Johnson  (S- J Damon), C Clay & A Bates (S- Mueller)

2007: H Morris (2nd), N Hagadone (S- A Gonzalez), R Dent (S- Foulke)

2008: C Kelly, D Gibson, B Price (S- Gagne), S Fife (S- H Morris)

2009: R Fuentes & A Wilson

2010: (We lost our 1 & 2 by signing Lackey & Scutaro), Vitek & Ranaudo (S- Wagner), B Brentz & B Workman (S- J bay)

2011: (We lost our #1 for signing Crawford), W Jerez (2nd), Barnes & Owens (S- VMart), B Swihart & J Bradley (S-A Beltre)

2012: D Marrero & J Callahan, B Johnson & P Light (S- Papelbon)

As you can see, there have been some big misses, but we never had the 7th pick .

Highest picks since 2003:

19 Barnes

20 Vitek

23 Ellsbury

24 Marrero

26 Swihart

26 C Hansen

27 J Place

28 D Bard

28 Fuentes

30 C Kelly

D Murphy (1st round)