Red Sox farm system ranked fifth ...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Red Sox farm system ranked fifth ...

[/QUOTE]

They largely have done so for the past 10 years, so let's hope it continues.

[/QUOTE]

They have had some hits and misses.

Going back 10 years (1-2 round picks only.):

(S) - supp pick

2003: D Murphy, M Murton (S), A Alvarez (S), M Hall  (Supps for Cliff Floyd)

2004: Pedroia (2nd round) We lost our #1 by signing Foulke.

2005: Ellsbury & Lowrie (S- O Cabrera), C Hansen & M Bowden (S- D Lowe), Buchholtz & J Egan (P Martinez) (We lost our 2 picks due to signing Renteria & D Wells)

2006: J Place, J Masterson (2nd), K Johnson  (S- J Damon), C Clay & A Bates (S- Mueller)

2007: H Morris (2nd), N Hagadone (S- A Gonzalez), R Dent (S- Foulke)

2008: C Kelly, D Gibson, B Price (S- Gagne), S Fife (S- H Morris)

2009: R Fuentes & A Wilson

2010: (We lost our 1 & 2 by signing Lackey & Scutaro), Vitek & Ranaudo (S- Wagner), B Brentz & B Workman (S- J bay)

2011: (We lost our #1 for signing Crawford), W Jerez (2nd), Barnes & Owens (S- VMart), B Swihart & J Bradley (S-A Beltre)

2012: D Marrero & J Callahan, B Johnson & P Light (S- Papelbon)

As you can see, there have been some big misses, but we never had the 7th pick .

Highest picks since 2003:

19 Barnes

20 Vitek

23 Ellsbury

24 Marrero

26 Swihart

26 C Hansen

27 J Place

28 D Bard

28 Fuentes

30 C Kelly

D Murphy (1st round)

[/QUOTE]

You are correct;  I misread.  I was making the point that the Sox have been very good at keeping vs. trading their prospects for 10+ years.  A good point, IMO, but not relevant to the post I responded to. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Man, I really thought Hansen was a can't miss. Oh Well!

Callis is THE BEST prospect analyst in my book. Perhaps it is because he has greater resources to work with. I was hoping we'd be in the top 5 and it came true. This just confirms what looks to be a recent trend up. I bet we have real solid top 100 prospect listings. Should be at least 2 or 3 in the top 50.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They largely have done so for the past 10 years, so let's hope it continues.

[/QUOTE]

They have had some hits and misses.

Going back 10 years (1-2 round picks only.):

(S) - supp pick

2003: D Murphy, M Murton (S), A Alvarez (S), M Hall  (Supps for Cliff Floyd)

2004: Pedroia (2nd round) We lost our #1 by signing Foulke.

2005: Ellsbury & Lowrie (S- O Cabrera), C Hansen & M Bowden (S- D Lowe), Buchholtz & J Egan (P Martinez) (We lost our 2 picks due to signing Renteria & D Wells)

2006: J Place, J Masterson (2nd), K Johnson  (S- J Damon), C Clay & A Bates (S- Mueller)

2007: H Morris (2nd), N Hagadone (S- A Gonzalez), R Dent (S- Foulke)

2008: C Kelly, D Gibson, B Price (S- Gagne), S Fife (S- H Morris)

2009: R Fuentes & A Wilson

2010: (We lost our 1 & 2 by signing Lackey & Scutaro), Vitek & Ranaudo (S- Wagner), B Brentz & B Workman (S- J bay)

2011: (We lost our #1 for signing Crawford), W Jerez (2nd), Barnes & Owens (S- VMart), B Swihart & J Bradley (S-A Beltre)

2012: D Marrero & J Callahan, B Johnson & P Light (S- Papelbon)

As you can see, there have been some big misses, but we never had the 7th pick .

Highest picks since 2003:

19 Barnes

20 Vitek

23 Ellsbury

24 Marrero

26 Swihart

26 C Hansen

27 J Place

28 D Bard

28 Fuentes

30 C Kelly

D Murphy (1st round)

[/QUOTE]

You are correct;  I misread.  I was making the point that the Sox have been very good at keeping vs. trading their prospects for 10+ years.  A good point, IMO, but not relevant to the post I responded to. 

[/QUOTE]

The Sox have traded a lot of top prospects away (not many the last 1.5 years) and lost a lot of top 2 round draft picks by signing FAs over the last 10 years.

Lost draft picks:

2004: 1 Foulke

2005: 1 Renteria/ 2 D Wells

2007: 1 Lugo

2009: 1 Lackey/ 2 Scutaro

2010: 1 Crawford

Traded Top Prospects Since 2003 (as rated by soxprospects.com & top ranking year)

1 de la Rosa (03) 

1 F Sanchez (03)

4 Shoppach  (03) 

1 Han Ram (05)

7 D Murphy (03)

2 B Moss (04-05)

3 A Alvarez (04)

4 A Sanchez (05)

3 C Hansen (06)

2 Bowden (08)

1 Anderson (08)

1 Masterson (08)

3 Lowrie (08)

1 C Kelly (09-10)

2 Reddick  (09-10)

6 Hagadone (09)

3 Rizzo (10)

7 Pimental (10)

5 Navarro (11)

8 Weiland (11)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Traded Top Prospects Since 2003 (as rated by soxprospects.com & top ranking year)

1 de la Rosa (03) 

1 F Sanchez (03)

4 Shoppach  (03) 

1 Han Ram (05)

7 D Murphy (03)

2 B Moss (04-05)

3 A Alvarez (04)

4 A Sanchez (05)

3 C Hansen (06)

2 Bowden (08)

1 Anderson (08)

1 Masterson (08)

3 Lowrie (08)

1 C Kelly (09-10)

2 Reddick  (09-10)

6 Hagadone (09)

3 Rizzo (10)

7 Pimental (10)

5 Navarro (11)

8 Weiland (11)

[/QUOTE]

Versus Youkilis, Pedroia, Papelbon, Lester, Buchholz, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury and Bard (through 2011 anyway).

You can throw out HanRam and Sanchez because the Sox got full value for them.

Their decision-making on who to keep and who to trade has been very good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree it has been very good, and even when to decide to let older players walk has been good.

The Reddick deal is one we may wish we could have back, but the jury is still out.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Baseball draft is probably the biggest crap shoot of all in comparison to other sports. Even in top 10 a lot of misses and % only increases as you get into the 20's. Just look at some of the past drafts.

2008 Rays select Tim Beckham w/ top overall pick. Players that followed that year Alverez / Hosmer/Matusz/Posey/Alonso/Ike davis/Jemile Weeks/Lawrie

2007 Vitters and Daniel Moskos went 3&4 while at 5&6 were Matt Wieters and Ross Detwiler

2010 Chris Sale wasn't drafted til #13 while Christian Colon #4 & Barrett Loux #6

2009 Donovan Tate, Jorge Sanchez, and Matt Hobgood went 3,4,5 while Zach Wheeler, Mike Minor, Jacob Turner, Drew Storen, and Shelby Miller followed right after

So even with the RS picking at #7 take nothing for granted. Just odds are better that player pans out, but anything can happen in baseball draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Baseball draft is probably the biggest crap shoot of all in comparison to other sports. Even in top 10 a lot of misses and % only increases as you get into the 20's. Just look at some of the past drafts.

2008 Rays select Tim Beckham w/ top overall pick. Players that followed that year Alverez / Hosmer/Matusz/Posey/Alonso/Ike davis/Jemile Weeks/Lawrie

2007 Vitters and Daniel Moskos went 3&4 while at 5&6 were Matt Wieters and Ross Detwiler

2010 Chris Sale wasn't drafted til #13 while Christian Colon #4 & Barrett Loux #6

2009 Donovan Tate, Jorge Sanchez, and Matt Hobgood went 3,4,5 while Zach Wheeler, Mike Minor, Jacob Turner, Drew Storen, and Shelby Miller followed right after

So even with the RS picking at #7 take nothing for granted. Just odds are better that player pans out, but anything can happen in baseball draft.

[/QUOTE]

So true. Let's hope we get it right this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope they take a stud pitcher with that #7 pick, assuming one of excellent value is available. Top starting pitching is so hard to obtain now. It is advised to throw some numbers at it IMO. We have some guys who hae the potential to be #1 or 2 type pitchers but I'd still throw numbers at that option in the draft. We need that top level pitching staff. We can obtain the other players on the roster more easily via trade and FA.

[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you in that they need to go after a pitcher. hopefully one is available.

[/QUOTE]

Lets just hope they take the best player available @ 7. Supose their are 6 pitchers taken ahead of them and RS are now looking at 7th best pitching prospect. Get the best player available and hope he makes to RS in a very short time and has a nice long and properous career = Nomar.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I hope they take a stud pitcher with that #7 pick, assuming one of excellent value is available. Top starting pitching is so hard to obtain now. It is advised to throw some numbers at it IMO. We have some guys who hae the potential to be #1 or 2 type pitchers but I'd still throw numbers at that option in the draft. We need that top level pitching staff. We can obtain the other players on the roster more easily via trade and FA.

[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you in that they need to go after a pitcher. hopefully one is available.

[/QUOTE]

Lets just hope they take the best player available @ 7. Supose their are 6 pitchers taken ahead of them and RS are now looking at 7th best pitching prospect. Get the best player available and hope he makes to RS in a very short time and has a nice long and properous career = Nomar.

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that is what Ben's plan is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The names I've mostly seen mentioned at #7 are Kris Bryant, Karsten Whitson and Kohl Stewart. Whitson and Stewart are both pitchers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I agree that they take the best player available. I'm just hoping that guy is a top pitching stud!

Whitson was the guy that played hardball with the Padres wasn't it and then got stiffed on his contract demands. And reportedly balled like a baby afterward. I've heard that he is an excellent talent though. He was just a young kid listening to his agent and his parents probably, and they lost. Can't blame him for being so upset he lost a million dollar contract at age 18. 

I have NO DOUBT that they will not change their approach and will take the best player available. So often in the past they have taken a loser #1 and spent their money on the picks down the list. That has changed now though IMO. No more overslot signings without paying a penalty somewhere. You don't get the #7 pick very often as a Redsox team in recent history. We need to strike gold on this one if at all possible. And that means try to get a top pitching prospect if at all possible.

The key is that they now get more money available to spend. I wouldn't be surprised if they still don't sign their #1 or they take a safe pick who is signable at #7 and use the cash saved on their other top 10 picks. Think Ty Buttrey and guys like that. There is a lot of merit to that approach also. We have one of the best draft teams in baseball. I'm sure they will do well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Think Ty Buttrey and guys like that. There is a lot of merit to that approach also. We have one of the best draft teams in baseball. I'm sure they will do well.

But, we had a lot of extra picks last year. This year we don't, so we shouldn't have the problem of running out of slot money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree it has been very good, and even when to decide to let older players walk has been good.

The Reddick deal is one we may wish we could have back, but the jury is still out.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the lesson learned in the Reddick deal is that while you can lead the horse to water you can't make him drink...The Red Sox after drafting him tried to change the manner in which he approached every at bat in the interest of getting him to stay in the strike zone learning how to work counts in his favor and swing at strikes. The goal for every prospect in our system improve his plate disipline and learn the strike zone. When he was drafted he was a free swinger with pretty good pop. After a few years in our system his inability to improve his plate disipline was chiefly responsible for his being, passed on the depth chart by Kalish, and ultimately why he was then traded to Oakland. I think the same is true with Iglesias who comes from a Carribean baseball culture where they stress swinging the bat..."you can't walk off the island" is the rally call for every coach and player toiling away on sandlot fields throughout Latin America. I also recall that Farrel tried to make some adjustment to Buccholz's delivery in 2008 and subsquently, they had to send him back to AA to work with his pitching coach there to get himself back on track.

The greater point I'm trying to make is that every team has a phylosophy for hitters and pitchers...so when drafting players a premium has to placed on getting players that already possess a solid foundation in the disiplines of your teams phylosophy. The inherrent risk of trying to change a players fundemetal approach, the very skills that put him in the position where you'd consider drafting him. Often is the root for why the player falls short of expectation..That's why sometimes you see a player come into his own after being dealt to another organization, becasue they typically revert back to what made them successful or simply stop trying too hard.

Coco Crisp was another example of a player that was not a good fit due to his trying to become a disiplined hitter after being aquired from Cleveland. Where he was a first pitch fastball guy. It took him the better part of 3 or 4 years to regain his stroke and today is a better hitter but still not the hitter he was with Cleveland...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

Think Ty Buttrey and guys like that. There is a lot of merit to that approach also. We have one of the best draft teams in baseball. I'm sure they will do well.

But, we had a lot of extra picks last year. This year we don't, so we shouldn't have the problem of running out of slot money.

[/QUOTE]

I think they are alloted more money for the pool if they have more picks. If I'm wrong about that Moon please let me know. Also if we have a high #1 pick the pool money goes way up. $7-10 mil or so for an overall #1. I didn't look it up but our pool money for the #7 slot is probably around $3 mil or so. Just a rough guess which I'm sure is off some. What I'm saying is that they can do a big ticket deal with a mega stud or they can spread that money over 10 picks. I think it can't be applied to other picks beyond round 10. That is generally how it works if I remember correctly.

I am extremely impressed with Sawdaye, their draft director. I like the numbers approach and his statistical backgorund. It's not that he is just a numbers guy. He just factors probability of success into acquiring mlb level players better than most directors IMO. That's the bottom line if you think about it. Who cares about drafting players who will probably top out in AA. We want prospects who have a significant chance to make the majors and ideally those which can become stars at that level. Ergo their focus often on big, toolsy pitching prospects and drafting a guy like Swihart who is a great athlete they think they can make into a mlb level catcher.

The fact that they kept all their picks this year while still improving their team so much is huge. It seems that lots of teams feel that this is the new trend, even the Yankees if I remember correctly. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the lesson learned in the Reddick deal is that while you can lead the horse to water you can't make him drink...The Red Sox after drafting him tried to change the manner in which he approached every at bat in the interest of getting him to stay in the strike zone learning how to work counts in his favor and swing at strikes. The goal for every prospect in our system improve his plate disipline and learn the strike zone. When he was drafted he was a free swinger with pretty good pop. After a few years in our system his inability to improve his plate disipline was chiefly responsible for his being, passed on the depth chart by Kalish, and ultimately why he was then traded to Oakland. I think the same is true with Iglesias who comes from a Carribean baseball culture where they stress swinging the bat..."you can't walk off the island" is the rally call for every coach and player toiling away on sandlot fields throughout Latin America. I also recall that Farrel tried to make some adjustment to Buccholz's delivery in 2008 and subsquently, they had to send him back to AA to work with his pitching coach there to get himself back on track.

The greater point I'm trying to make is that every team has a phylosophy for hitters and pitchers...so when drafting players a premium has to placed on getting players that already possess a solid foundation in the disiplines of your teams phylosophy. The inherrent risk of trying to change a players fundemetal approach, the very skills that put him in the position where you'd consider drafting him. Often is the root for why the player falls short of expectation..That's why sometimes you see a player come into his own after being dealt to another organization, becasue they typically revert back to what made them successful or simply stop trying too hard.

Coco Crisp was another example of a player that was not a good fit due to his trying to become a disiplined hitter after being aquired from Cleveland. Where he was a first pitch fastball guy. It took him the better part of 3 or 4 years to regain his stroke and today is a better hitter but still not the hitter he was with Cleveland...

[/QUOTE]

Great post. Another lesson might be to stop getting players you plan on having to radically change their approach to fit your idea of what they should become.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think they are alloted more money for the pool if they have more picks. If I'm wrong about that Moon please let me know. Also if we have a high #1 pick the pool money goes way up. $7-10 mil or so for an overall #1. I didn't look it up but our pool money for the #7 slot is probably around $3 mil or so. Just a rough guess which I'm sure is off some. What I'm saying is that they can do a big ticket deal with a mega stud or they can spread that money over 10 picks. I think it can't be applied to other picks beyond round 10. That is generally how it works if I remember correctly.

I am extremely impressed with Sawdaye, their draft director. I like the numbers approach and his statistical backgorund. It's not that he is just a numbers guy. He just factors probability of success into acquiring mlb level players better than most directors IMO. That's the bottom line if you think about it. Who cares about drafting players who will probably top out in AA. We want prospects who have a significant chance to make the majors and ideally those which can become stars at that level. Ergo their focus often on big, toolsy pitching prospects and drafting a guy like Swihart who is a great athlete they think they can make into a mlb level catcher.

The fact that they kept all their picks this year while still improving their team so much is huge. It seems that lots of teams feel that this is the new trend, even the Yankees if I remember correctly. 

[/QUOTE]

Since the system is changed, I don't think signees will be expecting huge signing money anymore, so maybe they will sign for about what the slot indicates.

You may be right about not being able to sign all our picks, especially fi we spend big on the #7 pick, but I think Ben is going to make sure he signs as many as possible by drafting accordingly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think our draft approach will probably be similar to last year, the main change being we have a little more cash to spend on our top 10 picks. That top guy can cost a lot or we could see a guy drop to the 2nd or 3rd round because of signability. Buttrey dropped to the 4th round if I remember correctly. The Sox drafted a lot of nobodies last year in the top 10 because they wanted to spend most of the money on the 4 or 5 guys they really wanted to sign. Some of their top 10 had no business being in the slot they were in other than for reasons of signability.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I think our draft approach will probably be similar to last year, the main change being we have a little more cash to spend on our top 10 picks. That top guy can cost a lot or we could see a guy drop to the 2nd or 3rd round because of signability. Buttrey dropped to the 4th round if I remember correctly. The Sox drafted a lot of nobodies last year in the top 10 because they wanted to spend most of the money on the 4 or 5 guys they really wanted to sign. Some of their top 10 had no business being in the slot they were in other than for reasons of signability.

[/QUOTE]

It's a tough balancing act.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We really need to drill down more into each player when evalauting them. For example, if you look at Cechinni's stats he looks like a stud but his fielding may be average at best and he may never develop the power needed to be a mlb level starter at 3rd. His swing looks more like Lars Anderson's than i care to admit and everyone was raving about Lars as a 1st baseman at this point in his career ( A ball ). Maybe Cechinni is just an advanced high school player who doesn't have the long term tools to advance at the mlb level. I'm still hopeful but he is by no means a sure thing.

To me he is more likely to hit for a higher average than Lars and he can be an average defender at 3rd. With Middlebrooks and Bogaerts as potential 3rd baseman, my gut tells me that at some point Cechinni gets traded. I know I'm stating the obvious. I think I'd give him some PT at 1st in the next year or 2 to add value to his profile. He may be in the minors for a while. The longer he is there, the more likely his power potential develops:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/garin-cecchini-rankings-vs-actual-value/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

We really need to drill down more into each player when evalauting them. For example, if you look at Cechinni's stats he looks like a stud but his fielding may be average at best and he may never develop the power needed to be a mlb level starter at 3rd. His swing looks more like Lars Anderson's than i care to admit and everyone was raving about Lars as a 1st baseman at this point in his career ( A ball ). Maybe Cechinni is just an advanced high school player who doesn't have the long term tools to advance at the mlb level. I'm still hopeful but he is by no means a sure thing.

To me he is more likely to hit for a higher average than Lars and he can be an average defender at 3rd. With Middlebrooks and Bogaerts as potential 3rd baseman, my gut tells me that at some point Cechinni gets traded. I know I'm stating the obvious. I think I'd give him some PT at 1st in the next year or 2 to add value to his profile. He may be in the minors for a while. The longer he is there, the more likely his power potential develops:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/garin-cecchini-rankings-vs-actual-value/

[/QUOTE]

I have mentioned moving Cecchini to 1b and Bogaerts to 1B (or 3B if they project him to be a better fielding 3Bman than Middlebrooks) this spring, but Cecchini is so far away from the bigs that he probably deserves another year at 3B to show his stuff. (High average and low power is more tolerated at 3B than 1B, especially in trade value.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

How can it be 5th when they have NO FIRST BASEMEN???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The names I've mostly seen mentioned at #7 are Kris Bryant, Karsten Whitson and Kohl Stewart. Whitson and Stewart are both pitchers.

[/QUOTE]

Im all about Bryant. I realize most want pitching, but unless theres a real pitching stud still available I would go with a position of need.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im all about Bryant. I realize most want pitching, but unless theres a real pitching stud still available I would go with a position of need.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt a "real pitching stud" will drop to 7th.