Red Sox farm system ranked fifth ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: Red Sox farm system ranked fifth ...

Barnes was a pitching stud who dropped to around 20th if I remember correctly. I'm just saying that I hope they can find a top pitching talent with the #7 pick. I'm not presuming that the best player available at that point will be a pitcher but given how hard it is to obtain top starting pitching I'm hopeful that they use this opportunity to find a top starting pitching prospect. I think they will. They understand the situation. If they have much hope at all to obtain top pitching talent it will be likely to come from the draft long term IMO.

Regarding Cechinni, it's probably better to keep him at 3rd for now but at some point he may end up profiling as a reserve player and need to be able to play more than one position. He's a baseball rat with some speed. He could maybe profile some in the OF also. I don't see him walking into a starting 3rd base slot any time soon. We'd be better off either trading him or keep him a little longer in the minors until his ower develops more fully and/or he has more positional flexibility. I'm definitely premature in this analysis but it looks to me that we are headed in that direction. Ideally he is more valuable at 3rd. But I've seen him play 3rd also, which is mediocre at best for a guy with his level of reps in high school ( 92 games played one year with both parents as professional baseball coaches ) and his bat looks like Lars Anderson round 2. Very little pop beyond the doubles.

All that said, he has some athleticism and I don't see why he couldn't develop into a solid reserve level mlb layer. He does have some ability to turn on inside fastballs, unlike Lars IMO. I haven't given up on him. He doesn't look even close to Bogaerts or Middlebrooks level at 3rd. It will be tough for him to profile at 3rd any time soon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Barnes was a pitching stud who dropped to around 20th if I remember correctly. I'm just saying that I hope they can find a top pitching talent with the #7 pick. I'm not presuming that the best player available at that point will be a pitcher but given how hard it is to obtain top starting pitching I'm hopeful that they use this opportunity to find a top starting pitching prospect. I think they will. They understand the situation. If they have much hope at all to obtain top pitching talent it will be likely to come from the draft long term IMO.

Regarding Cechinni, it's probably better to keep him at 3rd for now but at some point he may end up profiling as a reserve player and need to be able to play more than one position. He's a baseball rat with some speed. He could maybe profile some in the OF also. I don't see him walking into a starting 3rd base slot any time soon. We'd be better off either trading him or keep him a little longer in the minors until his ower develops more fully and/or he has more positional flexibility. I'm definitely premature in this analysis but it looks to me that we are headed in that direction. Ideally he is more valuable at 3rd. But I've seen him play 3rd also, which is mediocre at best for a guy with his level of reps in high school ( 92 games played one year with both parents as professional baseball coaches ) and his bat looks like Lars Anderson round 2. Very little pop beyond the doubles.

All that said, he has some athleticism and I don't see why he couldn't develop into a solid reserve level mlb layer. He does have some ability to turn on inside fastballs, unlike Lars IMO. I haven't given up on him. He doesn't look even close to Bogaerts or Middlebrooks level at 3rd. It will be tough for him to profile at 3rd any time soon.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he has a long way to go, but it is also too early to know what he may evolve into.

If you had to guess, boom, who is the better fielding 3Bman, Middlebrooks or Bogaerts? (I know it is conjecture, but just curious.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Since as you know Bogaerts hasn't played 3rd yet that is a tough call. Middlebrooks has all the tools necessary to be a top flight 3rd baseman but so far he hasn't become that yet. Tremendous arm but I don't see the range laterally being all that great or the ability to come in on balls. I think he should continue to improve there though.

I really like the idea of keeping Bogarts at SS. If you look closely at him he seems to have similar athleticism, speed and range to Profar. If anything Bogaerts appears slimmer. He seems to have a great work ethic and is motivated to stay at SS. I think we should keep him at short.

Great teams can really benefit from premium players at premium slots. If Bogaerts puts up 2-3 times the normal WAR value of other SS in the league what a difference that makes. Especially as a cheap young talent. That is a potential game change.

Middlebrooks had a slightly positive UZR/150 last year but he also cost his team an estimated 3 runs defensively. He is projected as average I would think going forward but probably moving up significantly with more experience in the league over time.

Check this out. Bill James projects Middlebrooks as hitting 29 HR in 2013 but at reduced average and OBP. The guy does appear to have some smack in his bat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If guys like Middlebrooks meet projections this team is better than many expect. 29 HR and a .277 average would be pretty significant for an above average defensive 3rd baseman.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

And he has the hottest girlfriend in baseball. Ah to be Will Middlebrooks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Since as you know Bogaerts hasn't played 3rd yet that is a tough call. Middlebrooks has all the tools necessary to be a top flight 3rd baseman but so far he hasn't become that yet. Tremendous arm but I don't see the range laterally being all that great or the ability to come in on balls. I think he should continue to improve there though.

I really like the idea of keeping Bogarts at SS. If you look closely at him he seems to have similar athleticism, speed and range to Profar. If anything Bogaerts appears slimmer. He seems to have a great work ethic and is motivated to stay at SS. I think we should keep him at short.

Lord knows we've needed a great SS for ages, but you know me: I'm a purist when it comes to SS defense, and I long for the day of having a top flight defensive SS. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think from what I've read and what little I've seen, Boggy has a long way to go to make the grade at SS on defense. I feel the longer we wait to move him to a position better suited for his size and skillset, the longer he will stay in the minors and not make the big club. This could end up being good by delaying his team control time clock, but I am nearly certain he would be best at another position (I think 3B or 1B), however, if he hits like they say he might, I'm sure many a GM would overlook some defensive issues for the big gains on offense over other team's SSs.

Great teams can really benefit from premium players at premium slots. If Bogaerts puts up 2-3 times the normal WAR value of other SS in the league what a difference that makes. Especially as a cheap young talent. That is a potential game change.

I agree, but his WAR could be greatly diminished by poor defense at SS. If he can become an average fielder at SS and hits well...watch out! 

There have been some big SSs who field well, but I just see Boggy more as a 3Bman or 1Bman. If Middlebrooks doesn't improve at 3B, and I don't see why he can't, but let's say he doesn't improve much over the next 2 years, Boggy seems like a natural to play 3B, and Middlebrooks could slide to 1B, if his bat keeps up with his start in MLB. I have to think a decent fielding 3Bman can become an above average 1Bman more often than not, so we could gain at 2 positions if this happens.

Middlebrooks had a slightly positive UZR/150 last year but he also cost his team an estimated 3 runs defensively. He is projected as average I would think going forward but probably moving up significantly with more experience in the league over time.

I hope so. He is still young enough to get better.

Check this out. Bill James projects Middlebrooks as hitting 29 HR in 2013 but at reduced average and OBP. The guy does appear to have some smack in his bat.

We nned power, but I'd hate to see a low OBP and more K's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How can it be 5th when they have NO FIRST BASEMEN???

[/QUOTE]

A lot of teams don't develop 1Bs for a very good reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Plus, they don't rate systems based on having to have a top prospects at every position.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Plus, they don't rate systems based on having to have a top prospects at every position.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not looking for top prospects - but you'd think a baseball organization would have some first basemen. 

It is 1/9th of the team.

Are they dragging a trash can over to first base in portland and pawtucket this year?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We really need to drill down more into each player when evalauting them. For example, if you look at Cechinni's stats he looks like a stud but his fielding may be average at best and he may never develop the power needed to be a mlb level starter at 3rd.

Sounds like the same scouting report back when they had for Wade Boggs, terrific hitter, no power, avg fielder at best. Actually same could be said for Kevin Youkilis. IMO always easier for player to be improve his fielding, but once an avg. hitter really never becomes a great hitter. Boggs worked his butt off to become a very good fielding 3B.

To me he is more likely to hit for a higher average than Lars and he can be an average defender at 3rd. With Middlebrooks and Bogaerts as potential 3rd baseman, my gut tells me that at some point Cechinni gets traded. I know I'm stating the obvious. I think I'd give him some PT at 1st in the next year or 2 to add value to his profile. He may be in the minors for a while. The longer he is there, the more likely his power potential develops:

or maybe the future RS infield looks something like this 3B Cecchini / SS Boegarts / 1B Middlebrooks. Remember both Boggs and Youk were able to play 1B.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/garin-cecchini-rankings-vs-actual-value/

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not looking for top prospects - but you'd think a baseball organization would have some first basemen. 

It is 1/9th of the team.

Are they dragging a trash can over to first base in portland and pawtucket this year?

[/QUOTE]

They gave their only true 1b prospect (Rizzo) up for Gonzo. Shaw is at least 2 years away IF he even makes MLB. Gomez is a PT/platoon player at best.

I guess Lavarnway could be switched to 1b along with a couple other in house possibilities.

I still like Kris Bryant as a possible 1st round pick for the Sox for 1b.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Are they dragging a trash can over to first base in portland and pawtucket this year?]

Shaw may put up very good numbers in Portland, and if we had a real 1Bman in Boston, Gomez would be an MVP at AAA 1B, so in reality, we are actually pretty well stocked at 1B "on the farm". We also have several players that may be moved to 1B in the next year or so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'd be all for Gomez but he is a God awful defender. Don't even think about 3rd base with that guy. 1st is a stretch also for me but the guy probably can hit and as it stands right now he probably slots at 1st!

We might as well throw our defensive infield stats in the dumpster though, especially for guys like Middlebrooks throwing across the diamond with Gomez at 1st.

But if he can hit .280 or so with 20-25 HR power we can probably accept some bad D from him at 1st. At least he is incredibly cheap.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The fact that we don't hear much about Gomez as an option should tell us something. I don't think he is considered a viable option. Maybe we end up with him though considering the options.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He may surprise us, but I seriously doubt it.

It just seems like a waste to make all these signings to make us just pretenders if we go that weak at the strongest offesnive position in MLB. The fielding just adds to the problem.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What would be preferred?

Team 1. with the seventh pick in the June 2013 draft, or

Team 2. with the 27th, 29th and 32nd picks in the June 2013 draft

Team 1 would be the Red Sox and Team 2 would be the New York Yankees at the moment.

Of course, the Red Sox will draft 21 slots ahead of the Yankees in all later rounds.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

What would be preferred?

Team 1 would be the Red Sox and Team 2 would be the New York Yankees at the moment.

Of course, the Red Sox will draft 21 slots ahead of the Yankees in all later rounds.

The way the Sox have done around 25-40 picks, I'd rather have 27,29, 32.

Does anyone know how many sandwich picks, lost picks and whatever there are, so we can determine what number our 2nd round 7th pick will be?

40? 45? ???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

What would be preferred?

Does anyone know how many sandwich picks, lost picks and whatever there are, so we can determine what number our 2nd round 7th pick will be?

40? 45? ???

How many players were offered a qualifying offer and how many of them signed with another team? Oh, and I believe the Pirates get a pick for their 1st rounder not signing last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

What would be preferred?

40? 45? ???

How many players were offered a qualifying offer and how many of them signed with another team? Oh, and I believe the Pirates get a pick for their 1st rounder not signing last year.

As far as I know, just 4:

Hamilton

Soriano

Swisher

BJ Upton

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To go:

Bourne & Lohse

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to LR3683paw's comment:

Do you think that the union is happy with the new qualifying offer rules? Has it benefitted the players involved or has it hurt them? It seems to me that the owners are more reluctant than ever to sign such premium players and they value the draft picks more than before.  Look at how the Yankees and Red Sox won't touch these guys with a ten foot pole.

I think the union would prefer the old rules, however, in hindsight, I think Jackson could have been offered a qualitfying offer and netted the owner a comp pick.