Red Sox fire conditioning coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Red Sox conditioning coach fired

In Response to Red Sox conditioning coach fired:
    [QUOTE]http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21152291/red-sox-fire-strength-and-conditioning-coach
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

More scapegoating?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Red Sox fire conditioning coach

Have Ed Lacerte come in as a consultant...LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

For two straight years the Sox have been kept from the playoffs and possibly a WS by the sheer volume of injuries to key players toward the end of the year.  It is time to make a change and this is a start...but they need to take it another step further by changing the medical team too. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

For the new conditioning coaches,they're going to bring in Sam Adams and Colonel Sanders

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Sox fire conditioning coach

... according to this report from WEEI radio:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21152291/red-sox-fire-strength-and-conditioning-coach

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

According to a source, the Red Sox plan on restructuring some of their approach toward the strength, conditioning and medical side of the organization heading into '12.

Do ya think? This organizational move is not only expected, it was critical. The Red Sox have been one of the most oft' injured and out of shape for the rigors of the entire season teams in MLB. This move could in fact be one of the most important that is made this year.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

KFC stock just took a dive...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Page had been with the organization since 2006, serving as the strength and conditioning coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks for the six seasons prior to joining the Red Sox.

A native of Malden, Page grew up in Portland, Maine before graduating from the University of Southern Maine in 1989. He was named Professional Baseball Strength Coach of the Year in '07.

Barajas spent 12 seasons as a minor-league trainer before being promoted to the major league staff prior to the '10 season. He was named International League Athletic Trainer of the Year with with the Pawtucket Red Sox in '07

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sean67. Show Sean67's posts

I don't look at it as scapegoating.  None of it.  Everyone knows the PLAYERS are to blame.  So please, folks, let go of the 'they're just blaming people' theme.  The Red Sox are moving ON.  The rest of us should.  The question now becomes:  'Who does the club need-----going FORWARD-----to handle the players currently on the roster'?  From the manager to the conditioning coach to the pitching coach--------who does THIS group of players (who Boston is stuck with) need to reach full potential?

Can anyone honestly say it's Francona, Young and the guy we've had as conditioning coach the last few years?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox conditioning coach fired:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Red Sox conditioning coach fired : More scapegoating?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

It doesn't smell like scapegoating to me.  This team has been clobbered by more lower back tweaks, hammy pulls and the like over the past few years.  And thats not to mention the guys managing to get out of shape during the season (prevailing sentiment seems to be that the player are ultimately responsible for getting their work in, so I won't even count this as an issue).  I think the club could use a shift in conditioning focus more towards flexibility/injury prevention.  The club basically stated this as the reason.  Why is that scapegoating?  And scapegoating for whom?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'd get either GEN Petraeus or GEN McChrystal to mange the team and set the example for fitness and get a bench coach to figure out the lineups, etc. 

While there are plenty of examples of successful MLB players who have pretty high body fat, there really is no excuse for not being fit. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

And with all this, if Paps saves the last game, a game in which Beckett pitched extremely well, we would have been watching the Sox in the playoffs.

Face it, unless choker Bard and blown save Paps played as bad as their in shape bodies did down the stretch, the Sox could have gone to the series,

Enough about conditioning.  Accidents happen, cracked ribs are what they are, sports hernia is what it is,  etc...

Onward to 2012 ,,,,

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Conditioning must start during the offseason.  with the exception of pitchers, most of these guys are getting a workout almost everyday, and then they come in out of shape from the offseason (gernally...not all)  

Look at how football players train during the offseason.  Yes I know I'm somewhat comparing apples to oranges as football is much more reliant upon raw strength and power.  However baseball does involve a lot of wear and tear of everyday activity, especially a pitchers arm.....and anyone who dedicates themselves to to regular exercise year round will be in much better condition to sustain a full season.

I don't know much in this area, but it seems to me that players can pretty much do whatever they want during the offseason.  I mean they get paid 10's to 100's of times more than most of us....don't you think that they should have to show up to work 48-50 weeks after the year....even if it's 3 hours a day 5 days a week in the offseason.

Maybe this is just a dream....but heck if I was G.M. and I had the power I would make sure every player had strength and conditioning coach (groups where possible) during the offseason. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Medical issues have been a problem for the past few years now.  Some changes to the medical staff were needed.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox fire conditioning coach:
    [QUOTE]Medical issues have been a problem for the past few years now.  Some changes to the medical staff were needed.  
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

Dr. Thomas Gill nest to go?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]And with all this, if Paps saves the last game, a game in which Beckett pitched extremely well, we would have been watching the Sox in the playoffs. Face it, unless choker Bard and blown save Paps played as bad as their in shape bodies did down the stretch, the Sox could have gone to the series, Enough about conditioning.  Accidents happen, cracked ribs are what they are, sports hernia is what it is,  etc... Onward to 2012 ,,,,
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Mike Lowell - Torn labrum and collateral ligament tear misdiagnosis?

Jed Lowrie - Dislocated fracture of a carpal bone requiring MULTIPLE diagnoses by non-staff surgeons to get it right?

Tim Wakefield - How many cortisone injections?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

It was a must do move, the past two years have killed us and its obvious looking at certain players our conditioning staff may have been much like Tito and had little control over certain events.  We are trying to make a statement, not only to MLB but our fans that this won't be tolerated anymore.  New staff and a few fresh faces with a manager like Maddux or Martinez and we should be good to go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Players are given a regime to follow and it's  up to them   For everyone who   enjoys Popeye's and PBR  there are    the others that lift and run and stay in peak condition.

That said there were a lot of times  this year and last that players  were unavailable  due to  nagging  back stiffness ...  I remember  Don and Jerry  talking about the  variety of hotel beds and long  cross country flights  like these  fly coach on Jet Blue and stay at the Motel 6.

Many of these players are cashing bi-monthly paychecks  for  4-5 times a fans annual salary      It's hard to tell them "Stay hungry my friends ! ".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

It may well be scapegoating, but sometimes fixing a systemic cultural problem on a team requires drastic actions. I place the blame on Theo+Tito for the coddling, enabling, and willingness to accept less than 100% effort from players. They created an environment of rampant unprofessionalism and lack of accountability. But once a club is tainted with these problems, it's sometimes required to start frest...rip things out by the roots. Page+Barajas were just examples of that occuring. I'll be curious to see if the changes involving the medical staff are anything more than cosmetic. While switching out the coke maching in the doctors waiting room may sound like a positive developement, REAL change is what's required. The current medical staff kinda remind me, minus the criminal elements, of the idiot doctors who treated Michael Jackson and Anna Nicole Smith. They were over paid hacks just thrilled to be sucking at the celebrity teat. Their skills atrophied over time, replaced by a desire to please their clients at all costs, and their complacency grew until they were the inept clods you saw on T.V. They forgot their Hippocratic oath's most important tenant: do no harm. Harm occurs both by sins of comission and OMISSION. It's time to begin fresh with a new team physician and staff.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]The players on the field were responsible for the September collapse. They can at least send out Christmas cards to all of the staff that got fired after they were deemed the sacrificial lambs by ownership.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

It's always great to see how logical, practical and non-biased folks like yourself and others are here.

The mere fact that we can rely on such an intelligent and practical "court-of-law" bunch of decision makers like yourself gives me great hope in my philosophy: Watch and listen to what most everyone else does and DO THE OPPOSITE!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Allbike gets the jackazz of the year award with that "scapegoating" post...apparently he has slept through the last two seasons - the bootlickers know no shame....they will carry the water for old regime until they are crippled....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The players on the field were responsible for the September collapse. They can at least send out Christmas cards to all of the staff that got fired after they were deemed the sacrificial lambs by ownership.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Utica, i agree

Sections
Shortcuts