Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks...

... according to this tweet from ESPN's Jerry Crasnick:

https://twitter.com/#!/jcrasnick/status/149185433128013824

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks...

i will be extremely dissapointed if the sox sign cordero to be the closer. there are far better options out there. andrew bailey is the guy the sox need to get. no madson, not codero. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I will be disappointed with Cordero, as well.  But I disagree about Bailey versus Madson.  I'd rather the Sox end up with Madson for money, than Bailey for prospects.  Bailey has an injury history that worries me.  And the cost in prospects seems too high to me, for a reliever (most of whom are up and down from year to year).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The market for cordero isn't very robust it seems.  If he could be had for a reasonable sum, I wouldn't mind him in the pen.  Just as long as he is not the closer.  I'd take him as set-up guy #2 though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

So glad to see someone who understands the long term financial hit trading away the farm causes. Think of the Red Sox minus those cheap years with Pedroia,Lester,Bucholtz,Youk, Ellsbury. Hitting home runs with all of those players talent wise, and also salary wise, allowed us to sign Gonzo,etc. Top tiered prospects mustn't be used to acquire potentially good players. They must be saved for grade A studs or to join the big club....period!

In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks...:
    [QUOTE]I will be disappointed with Cordero, as well.  But I disagree about Bailey versus Madson.  I'd rather the Sox end up with Madson for money, than Bailey for prospects.  Bailey has an injury history that worries me.  And the cost in prospects seems too high to me, for a reliever (most of whom are up and down from year to year).
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from QCluvSox. Show QCluvSox's posts

[QUOTE]So glad to see someone who understands the long term financial hit trading away the farm causes. Think of the Red Sox minus those cheap years with Pedroia,Lester,Bucholtz,Youk, Ellsbury. Hitting home runs with all of those players talent wise, and also salary wise, allowed us to sign Gonzo,etc. Top tiered prospects mustn't be used to acquire potentially good players. They must be saved for grade A studs or to join the big club....period! In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks... :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

completely agree with that view. I even would think that this news is a strategy in the negociation with Boras/Madson. I really think that the target from the beginning is Madson. He does not cost picks or prospects. I would not go for Bailey with the cost of prospects and the injury history...

How about signing Madson and Oswalt on 1-year deal each?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

It does not appear that the Sox are interested in going above the luxury tax level no matter the cost to the team next year.  It also appears that the Yanks have been bitten by the same bug as they are looking to reduce salary to below that level in another year.  The new contract with MLB appears to have had a lot of effect on the teams above or close to the line...Yanks, Sox both appear scared to spend more.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]It does not appear that the Sox are interested in going above the luxury tax level no matter the cost to the team next year.  It also appears that the Yanks have been bitten by the same bug as they are looking to reduce salary to below that level in another year.  The new contract with MLB appears to have had a lot of effect on the teams above or close to the line...Yanks, Sox both appear scared to spend more.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

It certainly is impacting the Yankees in their mission to get below the tax by 2014.

The only reason that spending is so constrained this year is the money that was spent in April for AGon's extension, and the ~$9M that cap was adjusted by in the new CBA.  The cap was scheduled to raise to $187M for this season (from $178M), and that now isn't happening until 2014.  The Sox wouldn't even be in that bad of shape even with the loss of that $9M if they had a healthy Lackey and Dice (as bad as their performances were last season, they would still be slated in the rotation because of the money they have remaining on their deals).  The only positions to address would be RF and bullpen and SP depth (#6+ instead of #4+).

The real benefit to staying under the cap isn't avoiding the luxury tax, rather it's the revenue sharing exemption credits that were agreed to in the CBA.  At least that's what the Yankees are citing as their main motivation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

trading prospects for andrew bailey does make sense because he would be worth it to the sox. signing madson for 10-12 mill per year when he only has 1 year of closing experience or signing 36 year old francisco cordero who has been declining to a multi year deal makes little sense. andrew bailey has pitched in the AL and has been one of the best closers and is much younger than madson and cordero. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, the Yankees knew this year free agency stunk!!!  Why should they throw money away if they have one of the better bullpen in AL last year?  All Yankees need one more starting pitcher, but who is good out there?  Not much.  If there are really alot of good starting pitchers via free agency, we would be hearing alot of signings in past three weeks.  But alot of teams are avoiding them including Boston and Yankees.

I strongly think that both teams including Blue Jays and Orioles will all wait until January and see who is available on the market at the same time the asking price will drop during that time.  That is where everyone would be throwing alot of one year deal to anyone!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]i will be extremely dissapointed if the sox sign cordero to be the closer. there are far better options out there. andrew bailey is the guy the sox need to get. no madson, not codero. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Madson, is better than Bailey in my opinion but either way we need more help if we intend on starting Bard and/or Aceves.  The Sox should just pay for Madson instead of wasting prospects on a reliever.  If Bailey, Bard or Aceves doesn't work out, who will we have left to trade for a SP?

If we sign Madson we lose money "nothing new there" and any day now Madson will get signed because we simply waited too long. 

NOTHING NEW THERE EITHER!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks... : ... How about signing Madson and Oswalt on 1-year deal each?
    Posted by QCluvSox[/QUOTE]

In what universe would Madson consider a 1 year contract?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks... : In what universe would Madson consider a 1 year contract?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

If it was for 10-12 million he'd go for it. He hasn't been heard from for weeks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks... : If it was for 10-12 million he'd go for it. He hasn't been heard from for weeks.
    Posted by bgomez[/QUOTE]

I can't see him going from 4 years, $44M to 1 year, $10M.  Were you saying the same thing about Soriano last year too?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BREDSOXFAN. Show BREDSOXFAN's posts

[QUOTE]trading prospects for andrew bailey does make sense because he would be worth it to the sox. signing madson for 10-12 mill per year when he only has 1 year of closing experience or signing 36 year old francisco cordero who has been declining to a multi year deal makes little sense. andrew bailey has pitched in the AL and has been one of the best closers and is much younger than madson and cordero. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

except for the fact he been hurt before so he has a history

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks... : It certainly is impacting the Yankees in their mission to get below the tax by 2014. The only reason that spending is so constrained this year is the money that was spent in April for AGon's extension, and the ~$9M that cap was adjusted by in the new CBA.  The cap was scheduled to raise to $187M for this season (from $178M), and that now isn't happening until 2014.  The Sox wouldn't even be in that bad of shape even with the loss of that $9M if they had a healthy Lackey and Dice (as bad as their performances were last season, they would still be slated in the rotation because of the money they have remaining on their deals).  The only positions to address would be RF and bullpen and SP depth (#6+ instead of #4+). The real benefit to staying under the cap isn't avoiding the luxury tax, rather it's the revenue sharing exemption credits that were agreed to in the CBA.  At least that's what the Yankees are citing as their main motivation.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Great points all around.

Many Sox fans don't want to count the AGon extension as part of this winter's cost, but the luxury tax hit went from $6.3M to $22M. Also, the Buch extension raised the luxury tax from $550K to about $7.5M. That's a total of about $22.5M impact on 2012 from 2011.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks... : If it was for 10-12 million he'd go for it. He hasn't been heard from for weeks.
    Posted by bgomez[/QUOTE]

Absolutely no way he would do 1 year....end of story.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks... : Absolutely no way he would do 1 year....end of story.
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

Sometimes 1 year with a winner is better in the long run than 3 years with a loser.  A good year with the Sox could help him command a much better deal the following year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

He is a proven closer and last time I checked the RS need one.  There are only he and Madsen who could partially fill the void left by Papelbon.

More then two years with an option is to much.

Everyone knows Boras wants three years possibly four for Madsen and the RS will not go there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Garbage moves like this will keep me away from the park. If Cordero came and that allowed for a nice starter and a quality RIght handed RFer then I'd be OK.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I see posters on this thread with suspiciously LOW post numbers. Know what I mean? That doesn't bode well. Meanwhile, I only want Cordero if he's NOT the closer. Set up guy, 7th inning, maybe. Closer? Nah ba ba nah.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks... : Great points all around. Many Sox fans don't want to count the AGon extension as part of this winter's cost, but the luxury tax hit went from $6.3M to $22M. Also, the Buch extension raised the luxury tax from $550K to about $7.5M. That's a total of about $22.5M impact on 2012 from 2011.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Thanks Moon.  I keep forgetting that Buch didn't sign until after the season started (April 11th, now that I look it up again).  It's tough to be disappointed with this offseason as a whole when including the AGon and Buch deals.  The budget wouldn't even be an issue if it weren't for Lackey and Dice already being out.

The Sox are 1 decent pitcher away from making me happy.  I'd be ok with a rotation of Beckett, Lester, Buch, (winner of Bard vs Aceves), Andrew Miller knowing that Dice should be back at mid season.  Leaving one of Aceves/Bard in the pen, with Bard closing if he isn't in the rotation, otherwise Aceves would fill the same role as last year pitching multiple innings as need.  Probably piggybacking on Bard's starts early on.  One more proven pitcher would really help though, either resulting in both Bard and Aceves in the pen, or to fill the 7th/8th inning role.

What about bringing Wheeler back?  I know it'd be nice to get the pick for him, but 1 year, $2M - $3M sounds pretty good right about now (the Sox declined their $3M option on him after the season).  He may not be a sexy pick up, but he fits what we need in the pen if Aceves is going to be starting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Well if Heath Bell, who is a year younger than Cordero, was signed for 3/27 I would think that would be a reference point for any Cordero deal.  Bell is also more highly regarded than Cordero, so maybe 7-8 million is what Cordero could be had for.

Given that Cordero is 36, 37 in May, he likely could be signed to a 2 year deal, so 2/16.

I totally agree with previous posters that it is better to spend money and save prospects for sure things, not for Andrew Bailey.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Update from MLB Trafe Rumors:

Red Sox, Angels, Reds Talking To Francisco Cordero

7:47pm: Cordero prefers to return to the Reds, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, who adds that the Rockies are not a suitor for the right-hander.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]So glad to see someone who understands the long term financial hit trading away the farm causes. Think of the Red Sox minus those cheap years with Pedroia,Lester,Bucholtz,Youk, Ellsbury. Hitting home runs with all of those players talent wise, and also salary wise, allowed us to sign Gonzo,etc. Top tiered prospects mustn't be used to acquire potentially good players. They must be saved for grade A studs or to join the big club....period! In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks... :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right, Teak.  But the Sox haven't traded any "prospects" that succeeded to the level of those you listed above since Hanley, have they?....and that trade worked out just fine for the Sox.

Seems to me the Sox have for years kept virtually all the prospects they should have, and traded virtually all the prospects they should have.

Sections
Shortcuts