Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks...

In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks... : You're absolutely right, Teak.  But the Sox haven't traded any "prospects" that succeeded to the level of those you listed above since Hanley, have they?....and that trade worked out just fine for the Sox. Seems to me the Sox have for years kept virtually all the prospects they should have, and traded virtually all the prospects they should have.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]
    I wish we still had Masterson.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks Moon.  I keep forgetting that Buch didn't sign until after the season started (April 11th, now that I look it up again).  It's tough to be disappointed with this offseason as a whole when including the AGon and Buch deals.  The budget wouldn't even be an issue if it weren't for Lackey and Dice already being out.

The Sox are 1 decent pitcher away from making me happy.  I'd be ok with a rotation of Beckett, Lester, Buch, (winner of Bard vs Aceves), Andrew Miller knowing that Dice should be back at mid season.  Leaving one of Aceves/Bard in the pen, with Bard closing if he isn't in the rotation, otherwise Aceves would fill the same role as last year pitching multiple innings as need.  Probably piggybacking on Bard's starts early on.  One more proven pitcher would really help though, either resulting in both Bard and Aceves in the pen, or to fill the 7th/8th inning role.

What about bringing Wheeler back?  I know it'd be nice to get the pick for him, but 1 year, $2M - $3M sounds pretty good right about now (the Sox declined their $3M option on him after the season).  He may not be a sexy pick up, but he fits what we need in the pen if Aceves is going to be starting.

we've been using 8-10 starters every year. I'm not sure one decent arm will be enough, but if it is a workhorse type, maybe we'll have a relatively injury free year in 2012.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Moon.  I keep forgetting that Buch didn't sign until after the season started (April 11th, now that I look it up again).  It's tough to be disappointed with this offseason as a whole when including the AGon and Buch deals.  The budget wouldn't even be an issue if it weren't for Lackey and Dice already being out. The Sox are 1 decent pitcher away from making me happy.  I'd be ok with a rotation of Beckett, Lester, Buch, (winner of Bard vs Aceves), Andrew Miller knowing that Dice should be back at mid season.  Leaving one of Aceves/Bard in the pen, with Bard closing if he isn't in the rotation, otherwise Aceves would fill the same role as last year pitching multiple innings as need.  Probably piggybacking on Bard's starts early on.  One more proven pitcher would really help though, either resulting in both Bard and Aceves in the pen, or to fill the 7th/8th inning role. What about bringing Wheeler back?  I know it'd be nice to get the pick for him, but 1 year, $2M - $3M sounds pretty good right about now (the Sox declined their $3M option on him after the season).  He may not be a sexy pick up, but he fits what we need in the pen if Aceves is going to be starting. we've been using 8-10 starters every year. I'm not sure one decent arm will be enough, but if it is a workhorse type, maybe we'll have a relatively injury free year in 2012.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I get where you're coming from regarding our history of going through SP's and certainly I think we need to build depth via minor league signings as well, but I'm just talking about guys who will put a significant dent in our remaining budget.

The way I see it (at this point in time), the SP depth chart shapes up as:
    1)Beckett
    2) Lester
    3) Buch
    4) Aceves
    5) Miller
    6) Wilson
    7) Atchison (in spot start duty, probably just a couple of starts)
    8) Dice
    9) Duckworth / mid-season acquisition

with Doubront and Bowden in the MLB pen since they're out of options, but if they were to end up in the minors they could be stretched out for emergency depth as well.  I'm giving Aceves the nod over Bard because he has a better track record as a starter, although Bard has certainly developed since his disastrous performance in A ball as a starter.

Admittedly, I may be unreasonably high on Miller, but I want to see what he can do given a real oppertunity and I prefer tosee him in the rotation instead of in the pen.  He also has incentives based on starts, which I'm taking to mean that the Sox plan to use him in such a role.

If the Sox either shore up the pen to allow Aceves/Bard to stay in the rotation throughout the year or if the Sox can add a starter who will log 140+ IP with a sub 4.50 ERA on the cheap, we should be in decent (although not great) shape.

I'm hesitant to trade away prospects under the new CBA because it's far harder to rebuild a farm system under the new rules with the draft spending cap and the international spending cap.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Moon.  I keep forgetting that Buch didn't sign until after the season started (April 11th, now that I look it up again).  It's tough to be disappointed with this offseason as a whole when including the AGon and Buch deals.  The budget wouldn't even be an issue if it weren't for Lackey and Dice already being out. The Sox are 1 decent pitcher away from making me happy.  I'd be ok with a rotation of Beckett, Lester, Buch, (winner of Bard vs Aceves), Andrew Miller knowing that Dice should be back at mid season.  Leaving one of Aceves/Bard in the pen, with Bard closing if he isn't in the rotation, otherwise Aceves would fill the same role as last year pitching multiple innings as need.  Probably piggybacking on Bard's starts early on.  One more proven pitcher would really help though, either resulting in both Bard and Aceves in the pen, or to fill the 7th/8th inning role. What about bringing Wheeler back?  I know it'd be nice to get the pick for him, but 1 year, $2M - $3M sounds pretty good right about now (the Sox declined their $3M option on him after the season).  He may not be a sexy pick up, but he fits what we need in the pen if Aceves is going to be starting. we've been using 8-10 starters every year. I'm not sure one decent arm will be enough, but if it is a workhorse type, maybe we'll have a relatively injury free year in 2012.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty certain that the Sox will sign a couple of risk reward veterans with invites to spring training to serve as organizational depth. Who along with Miller, Doubront and Tazawa can serve as spot starters when the need arises...

That said, I do think they have to be looking for at least 1 proven middle of the rotation type to bridge the gap with Lackey out until 2013 and Matsusaka a FA after this year, out until August. Ideally they"ll aquire a pitcher that has a couple of years left on his current deal or sign one of the best available arms left on the market to a 2 or 3 year deal. which will buy them a couple of years to see exactly what they have in Ranaundo and Barnes...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Red Sox do not need to spend big money on 2nd rate pen arms, at all. They need to add 2nd tier pen arms at low cost, end of story. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Don't see anyone going 3 yrs w/ Cordero at his age. If RS could get 1yr w/ option I would do it in a heartbeat, if serious about moving Bard to rotation. With Boras agent for Madsen its probably 3 year minimun, he has already stated he would not be willing to do Beltre type deal and reenter FA next year. Cordero has been one of the top closers in baseball for past few years, only negative was his fastball was a little light last year, sign of decline?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I agree that we've done pretty well overall the past few years, but the reason for this has been our willingness to add players via free agency. If we remove that possibility, we are forced to meet our needs entirely by trades. And that path leads to the dark side....

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Francisco Cordero increase talks... : You're absolutely right, Teak.  But the Sox haven't traded any "prospects" that succeeded to the level of those you listed above since Hanley, have they?....and that trade worked out just fine for the Sox. Seems to me the Sox have for years kept virtually all the prospects they should have, and traded virtually all the prospects they should have.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts