Red Sox Future Outfield?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Re: Red Sox Future Outfield?

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yelich is not the answer to our biggest need(s). Not even close.

We need to stop looking for baby step improvements and go large and long on somebody with a near certainty of greatness.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Then except to give up the farm for guys like Tulo who lands on the DL every year. Then except to see Sox fill out the rotation with guys like Matt Garza. No thank you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt the Marlins will trade their productive 22-year-old outfielder for two struggling Red Sox who are older than Christian Yelich.

[/QUOTE]

Marlns have shown interest in both Bradley Jr and Middlebrooks. I can see us landing Yelich in a much bigger deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I highly doubt the Marlins give up their cost controlled 22 yo Of'er. If the Sox do deal with the Marlins, Stanton will be the name discussed. 

The OF Id like to see is Stanton LF  JBJ CF.  Cespedes RF

we extend Cespedes and Stanton. We could have one heck of an OF for the next 4-6 years...

Marlins can have whoever they want not named Bogaerts or Owens. 3-4 players should get it done...something like RDLR, Middy, Betts and maybe the kid we just got from Baltimore. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yelich is not the answer to our biggest need(s). Not even close.

We need to stop looking for baby step improvements and go large and long on somebody with a near certainty of greatness.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Then except to give up the farm for guys like Tulo who lands on the DL every year. Then except to see Sox fill out the rotation with guys like Matt Garza. No thank you.

[/QUOTE]

Like I have said, I mentioned Tulo as an example of one guy we will have to take a gamble on. There are other better choices, in my opinion, but Tulo represents the best option at our biggest 2 positions of need other than SP: SS and big bopper. His injury history is a big concern to me.

We have a large enough stockpile of prospects and young players that many are blocked right now, so yes, I am prepared to offer up 4-5 of them to get a big impact player like Tulo or Stanton. We'll still have a very good farm system minus 4-5 top prospects.

I think it's harder to trade for a great SP than to sign one as a FA, but if we never will pay big money and long years to anyone over 30, we'll never get what we need most of all: 2 top quality proven starting pitchers.

I have only suggested how I would fill our biggest needs. If we trade prospects for pitchers and sign a big bopper, I'm fine with that route. My idea of signing 2 pitchers out of Scherzer, Lester or Shields may be out of the question given Sox management's views on going large & long on anyone over 30, so if that is the case, then trading for Tulo and signing mid level FAs won't make us a very strong contender in 2015. We'd probably be better off keeping our young pitching prospects and hope some rise quickly and forcefully.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So when did Miami decide to trade Yelich?

Didn't anyone notice they cleared up their OF logjam in the Jarrod Cosart trade?  I'm no so sure Stanton hits the trading block anytime soon...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I highly doubt the Marlins give up their cost controlled 22 yo Of'er. If the Sox do deal with the Marlins, Stanton will be the name discussed. 

we extend Cespedes and Stanton. We could have one heck of an OF for the next 4-6 years...

Marlins can have whoever they want not named Bogaerts or Owens. 3-4 players should get it done...something like RDLR, Middy, Betts and maybe the kid we just got from Baltimore. 

.[/QUOTE]

Why should we expect Sox management to all of a sudden extend Cespedes to 5+ years at his age? We wouldn't even extend Lester.

I think we'll have to give Bogey and/or Owens to get Stanton or up your offer to RDLR. Betts, Middy, Ranaudo and Devers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

.[/QUOTE]

Why should we expect Sox management to all of a sudden extend Cespedes to 5+ years at his age? We wouldn't even extend Lester.

I think we'll have to give Bogey and/or Owens to get Stanton or up your offer to RDLR. Betts, Middy, Ranaudo and Devers.

[/QUOTE]

Re. extending Cespy--it's pretty early. I would be inclined to extend a position player personally. Re: Lester--he's a pitcher and I guess the Sox Management have some guidelines re. pitchers--perhaps it's a general policy for all age 30 and over.

I think a choice has to be made--do you prefer Cespy over Stanton? If Cespy is just as good sign him and save the kids for another trade. In any case Betts and WMB have to be in the lineup almost everyday to get a reading as to what they are capable of and to give other teams a basis for their decisions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

There was talk at the deadline that Boston and the Marlins were talking. Word is Sox were asking about Yelich and those talks could pick back up in the winter.

I like Yelich and he maybe a better hitter right now than Jackie Bradley jr. Not to say Bradley will not be a good hitter down the road. I can see Boston and the Marlins making a deal this winter that includes Yelich to the Red Sox and this being the Red Sox 2015 outfield:

Cespedes-RF

Yelich-CF or LF

Betts-CF or LF

Yelich hit .288 with an OBP of .370 in 2013 and this year batting .271 with an OBP of .352

I can see Boston and Marlins completing a deal in which Bradley jr and Middlebrooks are dealt to the Marlins in a deal for Yelich and others.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Sox sign Cespedes and add a few players and flip him for Stanton?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Re. extending Cespy--it's pretty early. I would be inclined to extend a position player personally.

I didn't mean right now. Assuming he has a good to great 2015, I am not so sure Sox management will offer the 5+ year deal Cespedes will want and expect. The better the 2015 season- the more he will want and the longer deal he will want. The Sox may not give him the same value his agent tells him other teams will give him as an open mearket FA.

Re: Lester--he's a pitcher and I guess the Sox Management have some guidelines re. pitchers--perhaps it's a general policy for all age 30 and over.

I think it's a general policy based on Crawford's failure. The Pedey extension was so team friendly that it should not be used as an example of a change in team philosophy.

I think a choice has to be made--do you prefer Cespy over Stanton? If Cespy is just as good sign him and save the kids for another trade. In any case Betts and WMB have to be in the lineup almost everyday to get a reading as to what they are capable of and to give other teams a basis for their decisions.

If Cespedes has a good year, I'd like to have both Stanton & Cespedes, but certainly would prefer Stanton, if I had to choose. In theory, we could trade Cespedes for prospects at next year's deadline and trade prospects for Stanton, if we feel we cannot afford both or only want to give one player a 5+ year deal. Since Stanton is much younger, I think Sox management would be willing to give him a 5-7 year extension or maybe more, if he keeps hitting like he is right now.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We could send quite a nice Cuban brigade to southern Florida by packaging de la Rosa and Devers as well.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There was talk at the deadline that Boston and the Marlins were talking. Word is Sox were asking about Yelich and those talks could pick back up in the winter.

I like Yelich and he maybe a better hitter right now than Jackie Bradley jr. Not to say Bradley will not be a good hitter down the road. I can see Boston and the Marlins making a deal this winter that includes Yelich to the Red Sox and this being the Red Sox 2015 outfield:

Cespedes-RF

Yelich-CF or LF

Betts-CF or LF

Yelich hit .288 with an OBP of .370 in 2013 and this year batting .271 with an OBP of .352

I can see Boston and Marlins completing a deal in which Bradley jr and Middlebrooks are dealt to the Marlins in a deal for Yelich and others.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think it's doable.  Miami almost never holds their guys long-term.  And I'd bet serious money we go after him after 2015.  But there are two huge problems with this.

1-Along with the prospects, you have to be able to sign both guys, and they need to be willing to extend.

2-Once you're committed to signing them, you have to start taking a look at the budget.  We're in good shape with the budget going forward, but those two guys will cost you $40-45M, plus Lester (or any other ace) another $25M, so you'd be up to $70M for three guys and a lot of other positions to fill.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLACFAN. Show FLACFAN's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

...but we don't need yelich...we have betts and JBJ....and nava is as good as gone next year...our OF is stacked we don't need more...

Sorry for being underwhelmed. I like the new OF better than the old one, but I'm still waiting for that big bopper bat. Where is that big bat going to play? 3B? SS? 1B?

I still think getting a big bopper OF'er this winter makes the most sense, and I agree, Yelich is not the one.

Napoli & Craig play 1B.

Bogey, Holt or Middy can play 3B.

I suppose we could trade for Tulo at SS, but that will cost a ton.

No, OF seems like the best spot to upgrade and move away from quantity and towards more quality.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

i'd take tulo..and keep the OF we have...i'm just saying do we trade betts for yelich? i say no way...so why even are we bringing yelich's name up when we have better? but i love trying to get tulo...that makes sense for the power bat we need....

[/QUOTE]

WHo said Betts for Yelich? Sure not me! I said Yelich would be dealt to Boston in a package deal for Bradley Jr and Middlebrooks. Yelich to CF or LF and Betts either CF or LF. And I am not giving up Betts, Owens and others for Tulo who is injury prone.

[/QUOTE]

why would we want yelich in LF?

we have....

betts CF

cespedes LF

craig RF

[/QUOTE]

Why would we want Yelich? Duh- easy he can hit and get on base. Move Allen Craig to 1b and trade Napoli.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli is the best defensive first baseman we have had since Zaughn.  He has saved twenty five runs this year alone.  His type of fielding doesn't grow on trees.  Keep him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

We could send quite a nice Cuban brigade to southern Florida by packaging de la Rosa and Devers as well.

Sox4ever

Rubby de la Rosa and Rafael Devers are from the Dominican Republic.

The Marlins are unlikely to trade Giancarlo Stanton this offseason.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Rubby de la Rosa and Rafael Devers are from the Dominican Republic.

The Marlins are unlikely to trade Giancarlo Stanton this offseason.

[/QUOTE]

Red Sox need pitching and De La Rosa is young and will be a good pitcher. I would not deal him for a hitter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to FLACFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

...but we don't need yelich...we have betts and JBJ....and nava is as good as gone next year...our OF is stacked we don't need more...

Sorry for being underwhelmed. I like the new OF better than the old one, but I'm still waiting for that big bopper bat. Where is that big bat going to play? 3B? SS? 1B?

I still think getting a big bopper OF'er this winter makes the most sense, and I agree, Yelich is not the one.

Napoli & Craig play 1B.

No, OF seems like the best spot to upgrade and move away from quantity and towards more quality.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

i'd take tulo..and keep the OF we have...i'm just saying do we trade betts for yelich? i say no way...so why even are we bringing yelich's name up when we have better? but i love trying to get tulo...that makes sense for the power bat we need....

[/QUOTE]

WHo said Betts for Yelich? Sure not me! I said Yelich would be dealt to Boston in a package deal for Bradley Jr and Middlebrooks. Yelich to CF or LF and Betts either CF or LF. And I am not giving up Betts, Owens and others for Tulo who is injury prone.

[/QUOTE]

we have....

betts CF

cespedes LF

craig RF

[/QUOTE]

Why would we want Yelich? Duh- easy he can hit and get on base. Move Allen Craig to 1b and trade Napoli.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli is the best defensive first baseman we have had since Zaughn.  He has saved twenty five runs this year alone.  His type of fielding doesn't grow on trees.  Keep him.

[/QUOTE]

Allen Craig is just as good on defense at 1b. He also a better hitter and a little younger. I would move Allen Craig to 1b, deal Napoli and move Betts to CF and trade for Yelich. This makes Red Sox better offensively and on defense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Napoli & Craig play 1B.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we have....

betts CF

cespedes LF

craig RF

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Allen Craig is just as good on defense at 1b. He also a better hitter and a little younger. I would move Allen Craig to 1b, deal Napoli and move Betts to CF and trade for Yelich. This makes Red Sox better offensively and on defense.

[/QUOTE]

We not getting Tulo cause he will be a very high priced to deal for in terms of prospects and $$$$. Adding Yelich would be alot easier. Some Sox fans here d not seem to know much about Yelich. The kid is an OBP machine and very young. At this stage he a better hitter than Bradley Jr.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Fielding Bible put Napoli at #6 in MLB with 54 points, and Craig at #17 with 3 points.

Fangraphs gave Napoli a 13.3 UZR/150 and Craig a 3.3.

The hitting isn't close either, at least right now.

But Craig is definitely younger.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Napoli & Craig play 1B.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we have....

betts CF

cespedes LF

craig RF

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We not getting Tulo cause he will be a very high priced to deal for in terms of prospects and $$$$. Adding Yelich would be alot easier. Some Sox fans here d not seem to know much about Yelich. The kid is an OBP machine and very young. At this stage he a better hitter than Bradley Jr.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Everyone knows about Yelich.  No one is serious about him because we'd have an easier time landing Tulowitski.  Yelich was a top-15 prospect and a 1st round pick.  He has 5 years of control left.

That isn't the type of player Miami ever trades.  We probably have 10x the chance of landing Stanton.

Further, he isn't exactly the type of player we should be targeting.  We have prospects that project for good OBP, but none close that can provide power.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

i see...

victorino RF

bradley jr CF

cespedes LF

some how we gotta fit craig in this line-up..that guy will drive in runs for us...i'm glad we got him.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think, unfortunately for Victorino, that the OF will be different.  His body is just too feeble.  I love the guy but he has proven to be just as injury-prone as some expected.  

Craig - LF

JBJ - CF

Cespedes - RF

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Heartbeat, for Tulo would cost more than that.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Much more.   And we would have to plan for someone to play 20-50 games in his place as well.  Maybe Holt.  

Tulo's worth slobbering over, but haven't we had enough of somewhat fragile players????

Nomah, JD Drew, Ellsbury, Vic, etc  (Just to name position players) .....?  Not trying to be mean, but when can we expect guys to play a little more than 60 or 70% of the season?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

i see...

victorino RF

bradley jr CF

cespedes LF

some how we gotta fit craig in this line-up..that guy will drive in runs for us...i'm glad we got him.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think, unfortunately for Victorino, that the OF will be different.  His body is just too feeble.  I love the guy but he has proven to be just as injury-prone as some expected.  

Craig - LF

JBJ - CF

Cespedes - RF

[/QUOTE]

i can see this also...and we might be in on rusney castillo CF...so who knows?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

victorino is all but gone, there is just no spot for him. Only way I could see him starting next season is if we move craig to 3B if middlebrooks struggles during the rest of this season. Holt will not be a starter next year, he has really slowed down lately (hitting .207 in 14 games since the all-star break) and there is a reason why he has been in the minors this long. He will be a solid utility guy for us next year (and likely the rest of this year) and ultimately thats where he holds the most value to this team. He’s not particularly good defensively at any position but can hold his own and does not have an overly strong arm. Really he is best suited for 2B but will never play there unless pedroia needs a day off. His versatility is precisely why he holds more value as a util guy. Having someone who can come off the bench and play pretty much any position except catcher has significant value especially in the AL where teams have fewer bench spots. Having a bench of nava(LF/RF/1B), kelly johnson (who plays corner outfield plus 1B/2B/3B) and holt who plays all spots except catcher gives us lots of flexibility off the bench. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I have posted since the beginning of the season that Jackie Bradley Jr. Cannot hit and now looks like it is true. He is a defensive replacement or a pinch runner at best. Luchinno tried to pass this guy off as an everyday center fielder is rediculous or even as a replacement for Ellsbury.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Fielding Bible put Napoli at #6 in MLB with 54 points, and Craig at #17 with 3 points.

Fangraphs gave Napoli a 13.3 UZR/150 and Craig a 3.3.

The hitting isn't close either, at least right now.

But Craig is definitely younger.

Give me a break. Anyone can read a book. I am from the old school of baseball called good scouting. Such as how a player shakes your hand- a well firmed shake means confidence. Does he have good hands around the bases?  Does he know how to throw to cut off man. These are the things to look for when scouting players. Allen Craig is a very good defensive 1b man. He is not a LF! Sox are better off with him at 1b and making a deal for Yelich. Forget Tulo or Gonzalez cause of $$$ and costing lots of prospects.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Predicting the outfield now may be as hard as ever.

Craig can play OF/1B.  So perhaps the Sox like that flexibility, he could move to 1B when Naps is gone or he could even be flipped if he regains his form (of course why would you want to at that point)

Bradley Jr. is a centerfielder, but perhaps the Sox like Betts there.

Victorino is great when healthy...when healthy.

Nava??? if every pitcher in baseball was right handed he'd be one of the better corner outfielders out there.

Cespedes is decent middle of the order hitter

We could be in on Castillo.

One thing is certain.  Going into 2015, the Sox will have a lot more options in the outfield, although the writing on the wall is someone is getting traded.