red sox getting ready to move forward....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

red sox getting ready to move forward....

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/11/30/red-sox-havent-set-deadlines-but-are-getting-ready-to-move-forward/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: red sox getting ready to move forward....

Well it's about time! 4 guys either blank or get off the pot! Though i think that only one will return and that being Napoli I could be wrong. In any case it's time to get busy and solidify the roster so that they aren't picking at scraps come time when everyone else decides to splurge. As I'm sure we would like to see this team at least have a fighting chance at repeating as World Champs!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I am starting to find it interesting the seeming lack of a market for our FA's. There is an article out today talking about the possibility of Drew returning for 1 year. A few days ago there was an article about how Boras was trying to get the Dodgers interested.

Where are the rumors on any of the Red Sox players? I don't think I have read any other then Napoli in Seattle, Drew with the Mets, and Salty with the Twins. And all those rumors are old and seemed to have cooled.

Where are the Ellsbury rumors? I would imagine that most of the possibilities for a 20 million dollar player would involve the big market teams. However, both L.A. teams, yankees, Giants, Rangers and  Tigers all have CF options they basically like. Where does Ellsbury fit?

I am open to any and even all returning under the right price and circumstance. A good case could be made for each returning, although if they all did we would likely go over the luxury tax, even if we traded a pitcher. Would also suck losing the 3 picks this year. I would not however agree to any deal that removed the QO offer next year.

Imagine trading Peavy and signing everybody. We would have nearly the exact same team prior to the Peavy trade, just with Bogaerts replacing Iglesias. Not gonna happen. But it would not shock me if we came close to that scnerio and it would not shock me to see any combination back, including both Drew and Ellsbury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Of the 18 top FAs listed by MLBRumors, only one has signed, and that was McCann at top of the market prices.  Once the NYY give you an offer, you can assume it won't be topped.  For the rest of these guys, it is a matter of seeing what the maket is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Salty has been linked to the Twins, Colorado, Boston and Toronto

Ellsbury - Cubs, Seattle and texas and the Marlins

Drew - Sox and mets

Napoli - Marlins, Boston, Seattle

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The offseason is still relatively young, and we haven't even had the winter meetings yet.  With the exception of McCann none of the big names have moved and their respective markets are a little unclear at this time as well. 

I expect things to heat up in a month. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The offseason is still relatively young, and we haven't even had the winter meetings yet.  With the exception of McCann none of the big names have moved and their respective markets are a little unclear at this time as well. 

I expect things to heat up in a month. 

[/QUOTE]

Things will without a doubt heat up come 12/6

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty has been linked to the Twins, Colorado, Boston and Toronto

Ellsbury - Cubs, Seattle and texas and the Marlins

Drew - Sox and mets

Napoli - Marlins, Boston, Seattle

[/QUOTE]

Your mentioning the Marlins rumored to be considering Napoli and Ellsbury kind of proves my point I think.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

December 6th is a big day in MLB because it is the day that non-tendered free agents hit the unemployment lines and can start to sell themselves to new teams.

This date almost always doubles the amount of free agents to pick from and I am sure that the Red Sox have already formulated a prospective list of additional free agents that they will contact as soon as the names come out.

Most of these guys currently make less money than the big name guys, but have gotten either injured last year or have kind of high contracts compared to their recent production.  Boston's Bailey is a great example of this type of player.

A guy like Bailey will probably find a new home in time, but not for the money he made last season when he was hurt and had to undergo an operation.

Many of these guys will find new teams to play for, but almost certainly at a reduced rate of pay and often for much shorter length of contract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of the 18 top FAs listed by MLBRumors, only one has signed, and that was McCann at top of the market prices.  Once the NYY give you an offer, you can assume it won't be topped.  For the rest of these guys, it is a matter of seeing what the maket is.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  I think a lot of people have forgotten how early in the offseason it still is.  Are there rumors about Shin Soo Choo looking for one year deals, too?  Or Cano?  I mean, who does he (or Jay Z) expect to top the Yankeee offer?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Cano wants 9 years at 250mil can't believe the Yankees haven't already ponied up the money...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I don't think the Red Sox are getting ready to move forward from Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Napoli, Stephen Drew and Jarrod Saltalamacchia any more (or less) than Ellsbury, Napoli, Drew and Saltalamacchia are getting ready to move forward from the Red Sox.

It's early in the offseason.

Ellsbury, Napoli, Drew and Saltalamacchia have the highest projected 2014 WAR among free agents at their respective positions, usually by a wide margin:

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=ALL&teamid=0

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think the Red Sox are getting ready to move forward from Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Napoli, Stephen Drew and Jarrod Saltalamacchia any more (or less) than Ellsbury, Napoli, Drew and Saltalamacchia are getting ready to move forward from the Red Sox.

It's early in the offseason.

Ellsbury, Napoli, Drew and Saltalamacchia have the highest projected 2014 WAR among free agents at their respective positions, usually by a wide margin:

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=ALL&teamid=0

[/QUOTE]

That's a lot of WAR we need to replace in 2014.

I don't see us bringing back Napoli and Drew, but one is possible.

I don't see Ellsbury or Salty back here next year.

I think we will only sign up to one QO free agent, even if it is one of our own.

It's a deep and good draft next year and having 3-4 picks is a gold mine.

Here are the top projected WAR players (Non QO) at positions of need:

C:

Salty  2.8

AJ P   2.1

Navarro 1.6

J Buck    1.6

Torrealba 0.8

Susuki  0.6

1B:

C Hart  1.7  (Napoli is 2.6)

Loney  1.0

Morneau 1.0

Reynolds 0.8

SS: (Move Bogey to 3B and Middy to 1B)

Furcal  1.3  (Drew is 1.9)

Barmes 0.4 (+3.1 on defense)

Santiago 0.3

Kawasaki & Bloomquist 0.3

3B: (Move Middy to 1B)

Uribe  2.9 (Better than Napoli's 2.6 at 1B)

Young  1.4 (-7.6 on D, so maybe move him to 1B)

Youkilis  1.4 (1B?)

E Chavez  0.5

Polanco 0.5

CF:

R Davis 0.5 (Ellsbury 3.8)

RF (Vict to CF?)

Choo 2.9

Beltran 1.8

N Cruz 1.6

LF (Nava to RF/Vict to CF)

Grandy 2.2

Beltran 1.8

McLouth 1.2

Morse 1.0 (DH/1B?)

Overall, the Sox have 4 out of the top 10 positional players in projected 2014 WAR:

1) Cano  5.3

2) Ells  3.8

3) Uribe 2.9

4) Choo 2.9

5) Salty 2.8

6) Naps 2.6

7) Infante 2.3

8) Grandy 2.2

9) AJ Pier. 2.1

10) Drew  1.9

11) Beltran 1.8

12) C Hart 1.7

Morales, Cruz, Navarro, Buck, Young, Ellis, Youk, Furcal, McLouth, Loney

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

The idea that a team going no place (The Mariners) are supposedly going to out-spend the Sox for anyone is hysterical. 

This is a market where apparently there is no market for Cano. 
    If anything the Sox Q.O.s for Drew and Napoli may have been too high. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looking at the list above, the best team to field without losing a draft pick might be to sign Uribe, Salty and C Hart. Move Middy to 1B.

I doubt we can get all 3 for the $30M luxury limit winter budget, but if we deal Dempster, we can do it.

C: Salty/Ross

1B: Middy/Carp (Hart/Nava/Papi)

2B: Pedey (Holt)

3B: Uribe (Middy)

SS: Bogey/Holt

LF: Nava/Gomes

CF: Victorino/JBJ

RF: C Hart (Victorino)

DH: Ortiz

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Best projected WAR SP'ers:

3.9 Burnett

3.5 Kuroda

3.0 R Hernandez

2.9 G Floyd

2.9 Colon

2.8 Halladay

2.7 Feldman

2.5 Francis

2.5 J Hammel

2.3 Garza

2.1 Kazmir

RP

1.4 Nathan

0.8 B Wilson

0.6 Rodney

0.4 Betancourt

0.3 Balfour

0.2 Benoit, Crain, Logan, Hanrahan

0.1 Thornton, Oliver, Parra, F Francisco, O'Flaherty, Downs, F Rodriguez, Stauffer...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

The idea that a team going no place (The Mariners) are supposedly going to out-spend the Sox for anyone is hysterical. 

What do you mean the Red Sox qualifying offers "may have been too high"?

The MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement, not the team, sets the dollar amount of the qualifying offer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he means they may end up signing for less.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Free Agents tumble like dominos..with the potential top 2 FA's being Boras clients, this could take a while.  

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If anything, we should've offered Salty a QO also.

And you seriously think that no one is interested in Cano?  If he wanted $100M/6, he might get an offer from all 30 teams.  It goes without saying that there is a market for Cano.  It just isn't $310M.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think he means they may end up signing for less.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, the Sox didn't have to make an offer. They certainly calculated things because they didn't make an offer to Salty. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I love all the WAR stats however when it comes down to dollars and contract length I doubt the Sox will allow these stats to hinder their judgements. Lucky Larry is basically the leader of this team and he Okays the contracts Ben just facilitates them. Larry says the Sox value their draft choices and the acquisitions of the same, he also has stated that they are not looking to add long term contracts and that the team prferes short term contracts. With these comments you can do basic math, Ellsbury wants a deal of at least 7 years, Napoli wants a 3-4 year deal, and even Salty and Drew are looking for 3 year deals! These are the type of deals that block the paths of all those draft choices they are professing to value, so though I think the sox will be active, I can't see them signing a catcher to more than a 2 year deal, with JBJ reay and waiting I can't see Ellsbury getting a 6-7 deal here in Boston. As for Drew there's a slim chance he will get a 3 year deal because Bogaerts is in place and Marrero is closing in fast, lastly comes Napoli and he of all the QO's has a chance at 2 + an option year. Now I know i didn't use the prefferred method of determining who will or won't sign by not using WAR as my method, I chose common sense and usually that works.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love all the WAR stats however when it comes down to dollars and contract length I doubt the Sox will allow these stats to hinder their judgements. Lucky Larry is basically the leader of this team and he Okays the contracts Ben just facilitates them. Larry says the Sox value their draft choices and the acquisitions of the same, he also has stated that they are not looking to add long term contracts and that the team prferes short term contracts. With these comments you can do basic math, Ellsbury wants a deal of at least 7 years, Napoli wants a 3-4 year deal, and even Salty and Drew are looking for 3 year deals! These are the type of deals that block the paths of all those draft choices they are professing to value, so though I think the sox will be active, I can't see them signing a catcher to more than a 2 year deal, with JBJ reay and waiting I can't see Ellsbury getting a 6-7 deal here in Boston. As for Drew there's a slim chance he will get a 3 year deal because Bogaerts is in place and Marrero is closing in fast, lastly comes Napoli and he of all the QO's has a chance at 2 + an option year. Now I know i didn't use the prefferred method of determining who will or won't sign by not using WAR as my method, I chose common sense and usually that works.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody uses just WAR to make any decision, but I'm sure many GMs use something similar to determine value at positions of high need. It's a handy tool for posters to use, because it is a number that reflects defense, baserunning and offense combined. Projected WAR is not an exact science. Everyone knows this.

My guess is that the Sox have an even more complicated metric than WAR to guide them on what value is the best. Guide not fully determine.

There are a lot of factors involved in the final decision, including positional need, in-house options as an alternative, various combinations of signings and trades as alternatives, length of contract, price of contract and longterm outlook (prospects) at the position.

Sections
Shortcuts