Red Sox' Gift to Mariano

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Red Sox' Gift to Mariano

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Your not thrilled to see him retire?  I am confused - do you enjoy watching him beat the Sox?  I am sorry but I am not quite following the logic here.

They are mutually exclusive items - The Sox and Rivera......

No, Mitch, you're definitely not following the logic.

Of course I don't like seeing Rivera beat the Sox.  As I said, I've prefaced his name with many a profanity over the years. But in additon to being a Sox fan, I'm also a baseball fan. Which means I actually like and admire players from other teams. Yes, including the dreaded  Yankees.

Plus, as has been well documented, the Sox have had more success off Rivera than any other team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

[QUOTE]

Your not thrilled to see him retire?  I am confused - do you enjoy watching him beat the Sox?  I am sorry but I am not quite following the logic here.

Of course I don't like seeing Rivera beat the Sox.  As I said, I've prefaced his name with many a profanity over the years. But in additon to being a Sox fan, I'm also a baseball fan. Which means I actually like and admire players from other teams. Yes, including the dreaded  Yankees.

Plus, as has been well documented, the Sox have had more success off Rivera than any other team.

[/QUOTE]

I'm a Red Sox fan first, then a baseball fan.  As a Sox fan I hate Rivera and I am glad to see him go.  I recognize his greatness and that's he's not a weenie like 99% of yankees are but I would never honor the man in Fenway.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to manosome's comment:

I'm a Red Sox fan first, then a baseball fan.  As a Sox fan I hate Rivera and I am glad to see him go.  I recognize his greatness and that's he's not a weenie like 99% of yankees are but I would never honor the man in Fenway.

You may be a Red Sox fan, but the last 8 words of your post make it clear that you're not a baseball fan.

Because the first commandent for all baseball fans is "HONOR THY ENEMY" ?  UH, OK........

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

why don't you have your baseball bible published

i already said Rivera was great

i already indicated i am Sox fan BEFORE i am a baseball fan

but why do you take issue that i would never honor a man who's sole job was to crush me?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

but why do you take issue that i would never honor a man who's sole job was to crush me?

As a SOX fan I'm just glad he's gone.

[/QUOTE]

so there you go, we are in agreement then

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If Jeter is ever honored he won't get the same reception as Rivera

You'll hear plenty of boos

Plus, Jeter probably won't announce his retirement.  It won't be planned.  He will probably be forced to retire after either the yankees don't extend him or he realizes one Spring Training he has to call it quits.  The odds are that he won't be calling his own shots and timing here......few are able to do it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You may be a Red Sox fan, but the last 8 words of your post make it clear that you're not a baseball fan.

[/QUOTE]

Agree.

I feel sad for people who get so caught up in partisanship, which being a fan is, that they can't respect and even honor opponents.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Those were some seriously shabby gifts...stuff that looked like they got from rummaging in the Fenway storage rooms....they shouldve given him $56,000 - a k for each save he had against him...

As always - 100% correct!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

that wasn't the point

the point was that never would had happened back then

will the yankees honor David Ortiz? 

If Papi announces in April that the upcoming season will be his last, I'd bet my car the Yankees  honor him the  last time he comes through the stadium.

[/QUOTE]

What kind of car do you have Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If you love watching the Red Sox win and if you hate seeing them lose, then logic can only dictate that you (1) Hate Rivera and (2) are thrilled to see him retire.

At least Rivera has some class and isn't completely overated.  If they ever honor Jeter I'd PUKE!!!!!!!!

I don't think like you, I guess. I don't hate Rivera a bit, though I'm sure there have been times I've prefaced his name with a profanity. Though I'm glad I'll never have to see him protect a one-run lead against  the  Sox again, I'm not thrilled to see him retire. Though it's always good to see the great ones exit before declining skills force them out.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, when did this love fest for the yanks start?  I think Mo was a great player and if he played with the NL I would say good for him but he hurt the sox and their fans (me) over the years so I won't shed one tear for his leaving.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yeah I'd take that bet too!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If you love watching the Red Sox win and if you hate seeing them lose, then logic can only dictate that you (1) Hate Rivera and (2) are thrilled to see him retire.

At least Rivera has some class and isn't completely overated.  If they ever honor Jeter I'd PUKE!!!!!!!!

I don't think like you, I guess. I don't hate Rivera a bit, though I'm sure there have been times I've prefaced his name with a profanity. Though I'm glad I'll never have to see him protect a one-run lead against  the  Sox again, I'm not thrilled to see him retire. Though it's always good to see the great ones exit before declining skills force them out.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, when did this love fest for the yanks start?  I think Mo was a great player and if he played with the NL I would say good for him but he hurt the sox and their fans (me) over the years so I won't shed one tear for his leaving.

[/QUOTE]

I guess we have a lot of "New Age" Fans around here today....You know - the ones who believe they are more sophisticated than everyone else because they can see the good in something bad.  Very troubling indeed. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

You hit the nail on the head.  I wasn't thrilled to see him write in the bull pen.  He warmed up in that pen so that he could defeat the sox and prevent them from going to the post season.   No warm and fuzzy feelings there.

It's one thing to be a fan of the game and another to fawn over your rival.

I was at a game with my dad when I was a kid.  The visiting team made a good play against the sox and my dad applauded.  When I asked why he did that he said because the guy made a great play.  To this day if the opposing team makes a good play against the sox I can appreciate it.

To appreciate a good play or good player is a whole different thing from what they did at fenway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess we have a lot of "New Age" Fans around here today....You know - the ones who believe they are more sophisticated than everyone else because they can see the good in something bad.  Very troubling indeed. 

[/QUOTE]

We are on the same page with this one.  I just don't get it.  I bet if the yanks destroy us next year there will be  fewer "fans of the game" here Wink

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head.  I wasn't thrilled to see him write in the bull pen.  He warmed up in that pen so that he could defeat the sox and prevent them from going to the post season.   No warm and fuzzy feelings there.

It's one thing to be a fan of the game and another to fawn over your rival.

I was at a game with my dad when I was a kid.  The visiting team made a good play against the sox and my dad applauded.  When I asked why he did that he said because the guy made a great play.  To this day if the opposing team makes a good play against the sox I can appreciate it.

To appreciate a good play or good player is a whole different thing from what they did at fenway.

[/QUOTE]

Touching story.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Reasonable minds can disagree, and so can we.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

What kind of car do you have Wink

It was once a brand new Honda Accord that had that new car smell and no scratches on it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Because the first commandent for all baseball fans is "HONOR THY ENEMY" ? UH, OK........

Come on, it's baseball. Our "enemy" is al Qaeda and saturated fats.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

Because the first commandent for all baseball fans is "HONOR THY ENEMY" ? UH, OK........

[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA!  +1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

As much as I loathe the Yankees and like Mariano, I thought showing the film of his blown save in game 4 04 LCS was a little mean. I mean the guy has been so dominant. Plus he was so classy on opening day 05. I have this sick pessimistic feeling that if the Yanks get in as a Wild Card Mariano will have one final chance for revenge. He is definitely thinking that if the Yanks can get in. That's my fear, we lose in a 5 game series. I don't think they could beat us in a 7 game series. Look I know the Sox are a better team then the Yanks but it's just my natural Red Sox old time paranoia. That's why I don't want them in the playoffs. I could take losing to the Rays or Indians or Rangers. Not the Yanks. As proven in the past ten years, anything can happen in the playoffs. Look at the Phillies two years ago, losing to a much less talented Cardinals team who got hot and the Marlins in 03 and 97.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Saturated fats, good one!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

As much as I loathe the Yankees and like Mariano, I thought showing the film of his blown save in game 4 04 LCS was a little mean. I mean the guy has been so dominant. Plus he was so classy on opening day 05. I have this sick pessimistic feeling that if the Yanks get in as a Wild Card Mariano will have one final chance for revenge. He is definitely thinking that if the Yanks can get in. That's my fear, we lose in a 5 game series. I don't think they could beat us in a 7 game series. Look I know the Sox are a better team then the Yanks but it's just my natural Red Sox old time paranoia. That's why I don't want them in the playoffs. I could take losing to the Rays or Indians or Rangers. Not the Yanks. As proven in the past ten years, anything can happen in the playoffs. Look at the Phillies two years ago, losing to a much less talented Cardinals team who got hot and the Marlins in 03 and 97.

I think the film was shown on tv, it wasn't shown at fenway.

I don't fear the pinstripes.  They are the walking wounded who are trying to make everyone fear them because they are the yanks. I'm not buying into it.  Remember 04'!