Red Sox' Gift to Mariano

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Re: Red Sox' Gift to Mariano

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to 67redsox's comment:

[QUOTE]

What kind of car do you have Wink

It was once a brand new Honda Accord that had that new car smell and no scratches on it.

[/QUOTE]

I was hoping for a jaguar Wink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Your not thrilled to see him retire?  I am confused - do you enjoy watching him beat the Sox?  I am sorry but I am not quite following the logic here.

They are mutually exclusive items - The Sox and Rivera......

No, Mitch, you're definitely not following the logic.

Of course I don't like seeing Rivera beat the Sox.  As I said, I've prefaced his name with many a profanity over the years. But in additon to being a Sox fan, I'm also a baseball fan. Which means I actually like and admire players from other teams. Yes, including the dreaded  Yankees.

Plus, as has been well documented, the Sox have had more success off Rivera than any other team.

[/QUOTE]

I'm a Red Sox fan first, then a baseball fan.  As a Sox fan I hate Rivera and I am glad to see him go.  I recognize his greatness and that's he's not a weenie like 99% of yankees are but I would never honor the man in Fenway.

[/QUOTE]

So 99% of Yankees are weenies?  Define weenie.  And where does the 99% per cent come from?  Name names.

These are just hired professionals doing their jobs.  As is often the case with the Yankees's players, they're working for the team that will pay them the most money because they've established themselves as good baseball players.  I don't know how that makes them weenies.

I happened to grow up in New England and was at the impressionable age of six when the Impossible Dream team sparked a collective conflagration of Red Sox hysteria that felt great to be a part of.  Plus, that was the team you could listen to on the radio or watch on TV most often, and if you were lucky, someone could take you to a game in Boston, which to me was as exciting as going to Disneyland.  It's as much an accident of geography and maybe a need for loyality and connection that makes me a Red Sox fan.

The players come and go for every team.  But I still hold on to the warmth associated with these childhood memories, which also connects me with others on this chatboard and other B wearing cap people out there.  I also hope I'm civil and mature enough in my middle-age to share in the love of the game itself with others whose team affiliation is different, including those with the dreaded NY on their caps.

So, anyway, what does all this have to do with Mariano Rivera?  For both his performance and character we should honor and respect him.  Personally, I think all the Fenway artifacts are silly and may just take up space somewhere in a warehouse. Mariano seems highly spiritual and can more than afford any material possession he'll ever need.  However, I'm sure he appreciates the donation to his foundation.  He would be happy with just that and helping as many as people as he can.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I can't believe the nonsense I'm seeing here. He's been honored in every visiting park this yr.

Check that ... I can believe.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

I can't believe the nonsense I'm seeing here. He's been honored in every visiting park this yr.

Andrew Mitch will lead ceremonies that will dishonor all retiring visiting greats whose great performances have hurt the Red Sox.  As Master of Ceremonies, he will publicly pukeon them like he pukes on struggling Red Sox players.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

While I thought the ceremony was kind of awkward,it was well intentioned.The gifts were sort of standard with the exception of the "42" from the monster,that was pretty cool.

A good gift would of been to bring Metallica to Fenway and have them play "Enter Sandman" live.They could also have sang "The Star Spangled Banner" too.I believe it would have been more impressive than a portrait,but that's just my opinion.

Here's one person's ranking of Mariano's retirement gifts:

http://theweek.com/article/index/249704/mariano-riveras-retirement-gifts-ranked

"Another day closer to the parade"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

While I thought the ceremony was kind of awkward,it was well intentioned.The gifts were sort of standard with the exception of the "42" from the monster,that was pretty cool.

A good gift would of been to bring Metallica to Fenway and have them play "Enter Sandman" live.They could also have sang "The Star Spangled Banner" too.I believe it would have been more impressive than a portrait,but that's just my opinion.

I'm thinking that's what the NYY will do, mojo. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

There is no doubt the Twin's gift was the best. RS according to this ranking was #2, and it was impressive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughSL 11m

Mariano Rivera was named a finalist for MLBPA's Marvin Miller Man Of The Year Award.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

There is no doubt the Twin's gift was the best. RS according to this ranking was #2, and it was impressive.

Agreed, the Twins set the bar so high nobody could match it.

I love mrmojo's Metallica idea.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

Because the first commandent for all baseball fans is "HONOR THY ENEMY" ? UH, OK........

Come on, it's baseball. Our "enemy" is al Qaeda and saturated fats.

[/QUOTE]

Al Queda?  You mean the organization that the CIA created in order to defeat the Soviets in Afganistan in 1979?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I loved when Reggie hit the 3 HR's in the WS - that was awesome.  And I loved Reggie Bars.

I also saw Guidry's 19K's vs the Angels and was blown away.

I loved Gibbie's HR off Eck.

I loved George Brett in in the 1980 Playoffs.

I loved watching Nolan and Palmer pitch.

There was nothing like Gooden's rookie year - that was electic.

So I can appreciate greatness outside of Fenway.

But to cheer for Rivera - the guy who brought so much pain to us, is illogical.  I guess the good news is that Rivera and the yankees no longer have a hold on us which is why I am not angry about the send off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Al Queda?  You mean the organization that the CIA created in order to defeat the Soviets in Afganistan in 1979?

If that helps you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Does it help YOU to understand who Al Queda is?

I am confused as to why you believe they are "the enemy"?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Am I the only one who thinks it was a celebration of a great career, or am I missing something?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Am I the only one who thinks it was a celebration of a great career, or am I missing something?

Nope.

Like everything else Sox/ Yankees, it gets overanalyzed and overblown.

I though it was an appropriate moment for one of the greats.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

No, I read the papers, Mitch. I've heard of them.

And if you're confused about that, all hope is lost.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

No, I read the papers, Mitch. I've heard of them.

And if you're confused about that, all hope is lost.

[/QUOTE]

If you are reading the papers and watching CNN and believing everything they feed you, then I agree:  all hope IS indeed lost.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

If you are reading the papers and watching CNN and believing everything they feed you, then I agree:  all hope IS indeed lost.

We missed you around here, Mitch. Your paranoia and insanity definitely makes things more interesting!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Reggie bars were AWESOME.  gosh darn i loved those things.

hypocrisy knows no flag.  remember - the USA boycotted the 1980 summer olympics becasue Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan.  now our boys have invaded Afghanistan for the past 10 years. 

Loose Change.

ask questions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

We missed you around here, Mitch. Your paranoia and insanity definitely makes things more interesting!

[/QUOTE]

It's a fact.  Not debatable.  But keep believing everything the news and the government tells you. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

hypocrisy knows no flag.  remember - the USA boycotted the 1980 summer olympics becasue Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan.  now our boys have invaded Afghanistan for the past 10 years. 

Loose Change.

ask questions.

It's too easy for people to just believe whatever they are sold.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I would think so, and expect nothing more, no lessSealed

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

MITCH, you need to do research of the Marine's Hymn & study the first verse. Especially the line that reads to the shores of tripoli & understand why Thomas  Jefferson sent the Marines there in the first place.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Loose Change.

ask questions.

I wish they would bring back Reggie Bars

But Al Queda is our enemy.  The government says so.  And we don't have all of our military bases there to protect our natural gas and oil interests - that's just for the paranoid...They "hate us for our freedoms" and we must force "democracy" on them whether they like it or not (note:  these united states of America is NOT a democracy and for good reason!)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It's a fact.  Not debatable.  But keep believing everything the news and the government tells you. 

And you keep believing everything those voices in your head tell you.