Red Sox have lack of depth in the infield..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Red Sox have lack of depth in the infield..

Have you guys seen this article by Abraham ???

He says we have Mike Napoli (1B), Dustin Pedroia (2B), Stephen Drew (SS), Will Middlebrooks (3B).

and are in trouble if one gets injured.

Oritz and Mauro Gomez can play first and what about Ciriaco, Iglesias & Holt ???  Do we still need more ???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Red Sox have lack of depth in the infield..

Napoli, Drew, and WMB (just because he had season ending surgery for broken wrist last season) are injury concerns.  And yes we are in trouble if our infield consists of Holt, Ciriaco, Pedey and Gomez.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Napoli, Drew, and WMB (just because he had season ending surgery for broken wrist last season) are injury concerns.  And yes we are in trouble if our infield consists of Holt, Ciriaco, Pedey and Gomez.  

Those guys are not any worse than the average MLB team's IF depth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Wondering who the team is who has really good players as backup infielders ...

I am great with Ciriaco as our utility guy.  Big upgrade from Punto.

And Gomez could be this year's WMB if Napoli's hip goes south.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

???????? as regulars???? I was saying we are in trouble if Hold, Ciriaco, Pedey and Gomez are our regulars because Naps, Drew, and WMB are injury concerns... c'mon Pedey not a depth player...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

???????? as regulars???? I was saying we are in trouble if Hold, Ciriaco, Pedey and Gomez are our regulars because Naps, Drew, and WMB are injury concerns... c'mon Pedey not a depth player...

i would imagine EVERY MLB team would be in trouble if 3/4 of their starting IF'ers went down and depth guys were slotted in their place...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Where is Bill Hall when u need him?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Where is Bill Hall when u need him?

I liked Bill Hall when he was here...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

He says we have Mike Napoli (1B), Dustin Pedroia (2B), Stephen Drew (SS), Will Middlebrooks (3B).

Oritz and Mauro Gomez can play first and what about Ciriaco, Iglesias & Holt ???  Do we still need more ???

Gomez and Ciriaco are AAAA players, the former a disaster at 3rd and not much better at 1st .  Iggy has not proven he can hit well enough to be a full time player.  Holt has 72 MLB PAs.  That's pretty weak.  It'd be nice to have a decent, veteran UIF.    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Gomez and Ciriaco are AAAA players, the former a disaster at 3rd and not much better at 1st .  Iggy has not proven he can hit well enough to be a full time player.  Holt has 72 MLB PAs.  That's pretty weak.  It'd be nice to have a decent, veteran UIF.    

Gomez is serviceable at first and a potentially big bat.

Ciriaco is not Iggy.  Ciriaco is no wizard on D, but also serviceable, and his bat is decent and "timely" too.  Pedro "Yankee Killa" Ciriaco.  I would personally rather have him as our UIF than "decent, veteran" Nick Punto.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Ciriaco is not Iggy.  Ciriaco is no wizard on D, but also serviceable, and his bat is decent and "timely" too.  Pedro "Yankee Killa" Ciriaco.  I would personally rather have him as our UIF than "decent, veteran" Nick Punto.

If you are referring to the 2012, 34-year old Nick Punto, I agree, though I don't think even Ciriaco's modest 2012 of .705 OPS will be sustained.   Certainly the 2011 Punto and several other of his seasons far exceeded anything Ciriaco is likely to do.

BTW, Punto OPS for the Dodgers in 2012 was also .705.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If you are referring to the 2012, 34-year old Nick Punto, I agree, though I don't think even Ciriaco's modest 2012 of .705 OPS will be sustained.   Certainly the 2011 Punto and several other of his seasons far exceeded anything Ciriaco is likely to do.

BTW, Punto OPS for the Dodgers in 2012 was also .705.

No disrespect to Nick Punto Sonics.  My point is that rare is the roster that has starter talent  in backup infielders.  The Sox had something like that maybe when they had Jed Lowrie in his fleeting moments of health.  But generally you are going to get Punto or Ciriaco and their swollen .705 OPS's.  Punto had some quality years, but the reason he signed with the Sox as a back-up is because hisbrief starter days were long behind him.  Ciriaco hooked on with the Sox because the Pirates deemed him an easily expendable prospect who probably wasn't going to get a shot with the big club.  More or less six of one and half dozen of another.  

I understand if you mean that, of the mediocre pool you get for a UIF, you would rather have veteran presence.  I like veteran presence.  But i also like youthful energy (Ciriaco).  But at the end of the day, there aren't really going to be options that make one go YEAHHH!!!! at UIF and backup 1B.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

No disrespect to Nick Punto Sonics.  My point is that rare is the roster that has starter talent  in backup infielders.  The Sox had something like that maybe when they had Jed Lowrie in his fleeting moments of health.  But generally you are going to get Punto or Ciriaco and their swollen .705 OPS's.  Punto had some quality years, but the reason he signed with the Sox as a back-up is because hisbrief starter days were long behind him.  Ciriaco hooked on with the Sox because the Pirates deemed him an easily expendable prospect who probably wasn't going to get a shot with the big club.  More or less six of one and half dozen of another.  

I understand if you mean that, of the mediocre pool you get for a UIF, you would rather have veteran presence.  I like veteran presence.  But i also like youthful energy (Ciriaco).  But at the end of the day, there aren't really going to be options that make one go YEAHHH!!!! at UIF and backup 1B.

I think we're largely in agreement, Space....and the debates around here these days are generally are around 4th/5th OF and UIF so that makes me happy re 2013.

It's hard to find a good sub.  Young with potential? Gotta play them at AAA and not rot on the bench.  Old former starter?  Possibly too pricey, still wants to start and losing their legs  Middle aged sub?  Never good enough to start so how good can they be? 

I wish we could have kept Aviles and had him happy to go back to the bench.  Ex-starter Punto was a really good sub for a few years, as was late bloomer Scutaro before he forced his way into starting lineups.

There's something I like about Ciriaco, lots of things actually....but I don't think he's a good enough fielder or hitter to add any value.  I hope I'm wrong.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Why are WMB and Drew injury concerns? One broke his hand on a pitch the other on an infield play. Both have healed and are good to go. Heck all players are injury concerns if you say those two are.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

What were you expecting?  Alex Cora?  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think we're largely in agreement, Space....and the debates around here these days are generally are around 4th/5th OF and UIF so that makes me happy re 2013.

It's hard to find a good sub.  Young with potential? Gotta play them at AAA and not rot on the bench.  Old former starter?  Possibly too pricey, still wants to start and losing their legs  Middle aged sub?  Never good enough to start so how good can they be? 

I wish we could have kept Aviles and had him happy to go back to the bench.  Ex-starter Punto was a really good sub for a few years, as was late bloomer Scutaro before he forced his way into starting lineups.

There's something I like about Ciriaco, lots of things actually....but I don't think he's a good enough fielder or hitter to add any value.  I hope I'm wrong.  

My hope is that we won't need to find out.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a season in which the club was relatively healthy?  I know I know.  but, I can dream.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If the Sox have injury problems, long term depth is not just the bench but also Pawtucket.

That said, giving a minor league deal to OBP machinAdrian Cardenas would certainly not hurt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

My hope is that we won't need to find out.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a season in which the club was relatively healthy?  I know I know.  but, I can dream.

We all complain about the number of injuries we've had recently, but we're still at risk at many positions in January:

• Fully healthy or simple issue resolved:  Salty/Ross, Midds, Gomes
    • Hopefully recovered from serious injury:  Ells, Drew,
    • Real injury concerns:  Papi, Napi
    • Don't really know which category, but had injuries last year:   Pedey, Victorino 

That's not a great starting point, especially as our bench is not a strength.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

No Gomez could not be this years WMB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Fair enough Notin.  Full disclosure:  I wrote that having been entranced by the repititive drone  "Play the Kids/We don't need Napoli" zombies this winter.  I saw nothing from Gomez last year that made me think he is major league-ready.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Fair enough Notin.  Full disclosure:  I wrote that having been entranced by the repititive drone  "Play the Kids/We don't need Napoli" zombies this winter.  I saw nothing from Gomez last year that made me think he is major league-ready.

I have trouble thinking of Gomez as a kid, considering he is almost exactly one year younger than Ellsbury, who is about to be replaced by a kid as soon as next year...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the current starting infield wont even get you to .500...

pedey is coming off his worst full season

wmb is bound to get figured out in his second season 9and must stay healthy)

drew is a back up..and prone to injury

and 1B is a total question mark...

if this team is to finish above .500 it will be due to renewed pitching success...our front nine is pretty weak - especially in AL East terms

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

the current starting infield wont even get you to .500...

pedey is coming off his worst full season

wmb is bound to get figured out in his second season 9and must stay healthy)

drew is a back up..and prone to injury

and 1B is a total question mark...

if this team is to finish above .500 it will be due to renewed pitching success...our front nine is pretty weak - especially in AL East terms

The health issue is a huge question mark, I agree.  But lets not confuse health question marks with ability to play the game at high level.

prone to injury implies a history of getting injured.  drew has had one serious injury that took two years out of a career on the rise that was decidedly not 'back-up'.  cant really say he is 'prone to injury' or 'back-up'.  we will see if he can, for the first time fully healthy since his terrible injury, he can regain his form.

Healthy Napoli is a big bopper/big K guy in the classic mold.  Period.  And, the hip is a degenerative disease, so long term playing picture probably doesnt look rosy.  But, by all reports and doctor guesses we have heard, he should be able to play without problem this year.  

Pedey is coming off mediocre year ... because he was injured, not because his skills have suddenly eroded.

The pitchers in the A.L. may or may not figure out Middlebrooks.  I don't think its a given.  He went through that already last year.  Went into a deep swoon because pitchers saw the holes and adjusted.  But, then he adjusted back before going on shelf.  granted there are always a few waves of this adjustement/readjustment, but he showed that he is able to adjust, so I don't think it is given that he struggles because of pitchers catching up to him.  Solid hitter.  

Yeah, health is question mark.  Not a small one.  But I think you are letting the injury risk inform your opinion of these guys' actual skills.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The pitchers in the A.L. may or may not figure out Middlebrooks.  I don't think its a given.  He went through that already last year.  Went into a deep swoon because pitchers saw the holes and adjusted.  But, then he adjusted back before going on shelf.  granted there are always a few waves of this adjustement/readjustment, but he showed that he is able to adjust, so I don't think it is given that he struggles because of pitchers catching up to him.  Solid hitter.  

Yeah, health is question mark.  Not a small one.  But I think you are letting the injury risk inform your opinion of these guys' actual skills.

I assure you I am not.   I only pointed out that there are few starters that are free and clear of injury concerns before ST has even started.  I think the Sox have a very strong offensive lineup if they get even reasonable health in 2013.