Red Sox Have Made Offer To Edwin Jackson/Sox prefer Jackson to Roy Oswalt-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: The Red Sox have checked in with Edwin Jackson-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt?

If I could get either at 1yr / 6mil contract would take Jackson because he's more likely to give RS the 200 ip it needs. Unfortunately 1yr /6mil for Jackson not going to happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: The Red Sox have checked in with Edwin Jackson-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt?

I read this somewhere that Oswalt prefers to pitch for either Rangers or Cardinals.  He doesn't want to risk his 1 yr contract in toughest offensive division in the league. 

Jackson had consistent solid years recently with few teams even though his career era may not interest you. 

If they cost same amount of money and year, I would take my chances with Oswalt, much more proven veteran starter who can be our #3-4 guy and be the mentor and leader in the club house. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Tough call. Youth or experience?
    The veteran presence is desiable, provided health isn't an issue. But if we were sign Jackson, it should be with the intention of holding on to him. He has the potential to be a quality guy, much like Buchholz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Edwin Jackson has looked much better in recent years and could be the work horse we need in the back of the rotation...his Whip scares me a little, but a guy that will have an era around 4.00 and pitch 200+ innings is valuable...If the he can be had at a reasonable price I'd take him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

One year ?   Take Oswalt.

Payroll room for multi-year deal ?  Take Jackson.

But with Doubront / Tazawa / Bard / Miller, Sox could " muddle through " until Dice-K healthy enough; ( mid-July ? ) Something tells me presence of Yu Darvish in American League will cause Matsuzaka's ego to combine with Valentine's handling to produce good results, perhaps akin to 2008 year.
    People need to stop panicking. I'm more looking forward to emergence of ss Iglesias, and hopefully seeing Linares, Brentz,Hassan or someone compete for outfield vacancies.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedStain. Show TheRedStain's posts

In Response to The Red Sox have checked in with Edwin Jackson-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt?:

The Saux are not looking to add any big name free agents. They have stated this repeatedly. It's only "fantasy baseball" fans that are assembling their Evil Empire-type line-up with no regard to salary cap. The Saux have no room for Jackson or Oswalt without moving salary. Is that so difficult to understand? And who can they move? Well, there's only Youk - which leaves them without a starter at third. Maybe Salty, if Lavarnway is to be an everyday catcher - but they want him to sharpen his craft at AAA this season. I don't see the Saux getting either of these two players. Next!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox have checked in with Edwin Jackson-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The Red Sox have checked in with Edwin Jackson-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt? : The Saux are not looking to add any big name free agents. They have stated this repeatedly. It's only "fantasy baseball" fans that are assembling their Evil Empire-type line-up with no regard to salary cap. The Saux have no room for Jackson or Oswalt without moving salary. Is that so difficult to understand? And who can they move? Well, there's only Youk - which leaves them without a starter at third. Maybe Salty, if Lavarnway is to be an everyday catcher - but they want him to sharpen his craft at AAA this season. I don't see the Saux getting either of these two players. Next!
    Posted by TheRedStain[/QUOTE]

Not sure about that.  The goal has been to get under the cap in a couple years when the rules change.  This year, not so much.  I don't think they would have a problem going over cap for Oswalt/jackson, as long as it is a short deal.  No need to move any more salary than the Scutaro salary they just moved.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Red Sox Have Made Offer To Edwin Jackson/Sox prefer Jackson to Roy Oswalt-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt?

In Response to Re: Red Sox Have Made Offer To Edwin Jackson/Sox prefer Jackson to Roy Oswalt-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt?:
    [QUOTE]Red Sox Have Made Offer To Edwin Jackson
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

It would be better if his name were Eduardo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Red Sox Have Made Offer To Edwin Jackson/Sox prefer Jackson to Roy Oswalt-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt?

you can't just change you heading...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox have checked in with Edwin Jackson-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt?:
    [QUOTE]If I could get either at 1yr / 6mil contract would take Jackson because he's more likely to give RS the 200 ip it needs. Unfortunately 1yr /6mil for Jackson not going to happen.
    Posted by garyhow[/QUOTE]

You dont think Boras will take one year "pillow" deal in the 8-9 million range?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

If Oswalt can remain in the N.L., then I think that would be his choice. The N.L. just lost two of the most feared hitters there. At this stage of his career and wanting to continue playing after 2012, I can't see him wanting anything to do with the A.L. where Fielder and Pujols are just two of a couple of dozen hitters that are ridiculous (Gonzalez, Cano, Miggy, Bautista, etc.).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'd prefer Oswalt on talent.  He has the better walk ratio and ground ball rate, both important in my book, especially for pitching in Fenway.  But, I suspect it will be Jackson.  I am not convinced Oswalt wants to pitch for Boston, or I suspect it would already have happened.

Interestingly, the Sox have a full 40-man roster at the moment, and for that reason have not announced the Ross signing.  It seems that Ben is working on some sort of trade.  I thought it could be for Gavin Floyd (who I would prefer over both these guys).  Not sure how these offers go, but I have read they have offers out to both Jackson and Oswalt.  Obviously, if a Floyd deal is made, the offers are recinded.  But I cannot imagine what BC must be going through waiting for the call...who calls first?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from midnight. Show midnight's posts

There are ways to lower your Luxury Tax burden even if you give one of them a $9 or 10 M deal.  Give them a 1 year deal for $10M and a Player Option for $3M.  This makes the deal worth $13M over 2 years, or $6.5M per year.  Has to be a Player Option.  If they do well they don't take the option, if they do poorly you are only out $3M next year if you drop them.  I am not sure I care if they pick someone up or not, there is a lot of players on the Sox that could fill this role, I would be fine seeing if one of them could do it, bring back Wake as insurance and move on.  We get DM back around July with a will to play for another contract or a plan to go home and wanting to likely go home a hero, either way he likely tries real hard to succeed. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]If I could get either at 1yr / 6mil contract would take Jackson because he's more likely to give RS the 200 ip it needs. Unfortunately 1yr /6mil for Jackson not going to happen.
    Posted by garyhow[/QUOTE]

Would the FO rather have Oswalt, who is consistenly good when healthy but whose ability to stay healthy this year is a huge question mark, or Jackson, who is more likely to stay healthy and give the team 200 IP, but will likely be more inconsistent even with good health.

My guess is, they'd agree with you and prefer the 200 innings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Whereas I would prefer the risk.  If it pays off, you have a stellar rotation and almost guaranteed playoff spot in a league that has gotten much more competitive this off-season.  Jackson almost guarantees 190 innings, but not a playoff spot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

In Response to Red Sox Have Made Offer To Edwin Jackson/Sox prefer Jackson to Roy Oswalt-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt?:
    [QUOTE]@JonHeymanCBS Jon Heyman # redsox have checked in with edwin jackson as well as oswalt. also looking at infielders

Any thinking baseball fan says OSWALT hands down,
    he is older but MUCH BETTER.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

[QUOTE]Edwin Jackson has looked much better in recent years and could be the work horse we need in the back of the rotation...his Whip scares me a little, but a guy that will have an era around 4.00 and pitch 200+ innings is valuable...If the he can be had at a reasonable price I'd take him.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Jackson is just another liability in the near future, RS should AVOID!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Have Made Offer To Edwin Jackson/Sox prefer Jackson to Roy Oswalt-Who do you prefer Jackson or Oswalt?:
    [QUOTE]Red Sox Have Made Offer To Edwin Jackson

Shoulda nabbed Oswalt, well all suffer if they choose Edwin, ERA is too high (think Lackey-lusterish)...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

If Oswalt doesn't want to pitch here, whch may be the case, then there is nothing we can do.  Even if Jackson puts up Lackey 2010 numbers, it wouldn't be bad for a 4th starter, though I expect Jackson to have numbers more akin to Lackey's 2010 2nd half (3.98 ERA).  

With Jackson you're probably getting an ERA between 3.80 and 4.20 over 200 IP.
    With Oswalt you're probably getting an ERA between 3.20 and 3.50 over 160 IP.

So do you want the injury prone #1 caliber guy, or the #2-3 caliber innings eater. Both have their value, I'd take whichever one accepts the offer first.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

me too.  I hope it is Oswalt, though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]Whereas I would prefer the risk.  If it pays off, you have a stellar rotation and almost guaranteed playoff spot in a league that has gotten much more competitive this off-season.  Jackson almost guarantees 190 innings, but not a playoff spot.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I would prefer Oswalt myself, Par.  That said, I understand the logic behind signing a pitcher who will give us innings and keep the team in the game, since we're talking about a #4 or #5 pitcher, especially since Bard's innings are already limited.  I would be happy with either one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Edwin Jackson is the workhorse, but Oswalt is the better pitcher.   Oswalt, it would appear, would rather not play in Boston if he had his choice, and probably only signs here if no one else wants him.  If he is looking to rebuild his value, I would think he'd want to stay in the NL, preferably the NL West or in St. Louis with Dave Duncan.

I like Oswalt more, but it doesn't look very good.  I know he's from Texas and the Rangers are interested, but why go move into the same division as Albert Pujols if you are ttrying to build yourself up for next offseason?