Red Sox Hire Farrell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Red Sox Hire Farrell

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to sporter81's comment:

So they hire a guy who's team finishes second to last and underachieved all season long. Nice.

Come on, really? What was Belechicks record before he came here? How about Franconas? Joe Torre before NYY? I could go on and on...

Its got to be the right fit as well as a manager makes mistakes managing for the first time, and as another poster stated (Thanks Roy), they actually LEARN from those mistakes and are better the second time around.

Farrell knows the FO and they know him and how he operates...They know more than any of us (at least some of us know that) because theyve interacted with him on a personal and professional level and also experioenced 1st hand how he interactes with players. Time will only tell if he was the right choice, but to discount him because his first 2yrs managing with a mediocre team didnt go well is ridiculous...

But thats the problem: our FO has been incompetent since 2007. So they hire someone who is their patsy and we somehow expect things to change??? No manager is going to work miracles for the team next year, so I would give Farrell TWO years. It would have been much much better if they had fired Cherington and hired a manager from outside the system.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

All I have to say for Ben and LL is Farrell BETTER win or I think there will be even bigger changes. With all this coveting of one manager, their jobs could be on the line if it turns out bad.The hitting, pitching and bench coach will be the choice ofthe new manager. We saw how not doing it that way worked out already...

[/QUOTE
    Agree with you.  The manager should get to choose his own coaches.  I am not opposed to the hiring of Farrell, although, he wasn't a very good manager in Toronto. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

The 2009 Adam Lind or the 2010-11 Lind?

I imagine the 2009 version would be ideal. To me, either one would be fine as long as it wasnt names like Rubby D, Webster, Barnes etc., that went to Toronto..

Unlikely.  In 6 years, Lind has only been better than AAAA level one time.  He might help Pawtucket get to the post-season, but that is where the dream dies...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

The 2009 Adam Lind or the 2010-11 Lind?

I imagine the 2009 version would be ideal. To me, either one would be fine as long as it wasnt names like Rubby D, Webster, Barnes etc., that went to Toronto..

Unlikely.  In 6 years, Lind has only been better than AAAA level one time.  He might help Pawtucket get to the post-season, but that is where the dream dies...

At 5mm I would hope he does something, but then again thats probably why Toronto signed off on Aviles. So the Sox would eat the 5mm for Lind. Makes sense. Sox can afford that for 1 year. Without having worry about losing a good prospect makes it a smart deal IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

On the bright side, the search is over!!!  Yeah!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:

On the bright side, the search is over!!!  Yeah!!

Exactly, and not even November yet...Now, on to more important business.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lind isn't worth $5M for 2013. It's a salary dump. Counting the 2014 buyout, he'll cost us $7M for 1 year!

13:$5M, 14:$7M club option ($2M buyout), 15:$7.5M club option ($1M buyout), 16:$8M club option ($0.5M buyout)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Lind isn't worth $5M for 2013. It's a salary dump. Counting the 2014 buyout, he'll cost us $7M for 1 year!

13:$5M, 14:$7M club option ($2M buyout), 15:$7.5M club option ($1M buyout), 16:$8M club option ($0.5M buyout)

Thats what I was saying in another thread Moon. If they wanted Farrell without giving up a top prospect, they would have to get creative. They have 7mm they can spend without worrying about it this year and who knows, maybe a change will result in a little production from Lind. Im sure hes only depth at this point though. Id rather they use the 7mm than give up top prospects with 6+ years of control...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Thats what I was saying in another thread Moon. If they wanted Farrell without giving up a top prospect, they would have to get creative. They have 7mm they can spend without worrying about it this year and who knows, maybe a change will result in a little production from Lind. Im sure hes only depth at this point though. Id rather they use the 7mm than give up top prospects with 6+ years of control...

no matter how you cut it...it's a good deal for the red sox...did'nt give up any prospects...and that to me is they didn't give up anything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:

Sean McAdam @Sean_McAdam

Breaking: Red Sox have hired John Farrell as manager, signing him to multi-year deal. Official announcement coming soon.

My concern is the compensation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from saigyolives. Show saigyolives's posts

This is bad news. The Sox will lose 80 games next year. Larry and Ben must go! They are conservative, lack vision, and don't know how to rebuild the club. Both must be fired, with Ben becoming Asst. GM, where he can do a good job. With a new CEO and GM, the Sox will have a chance of rebuilding. As is, we'll have losing seasons in 2013 and 2014. Sad lack of leadership at the top!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to saigyolives' comment:

This is bad news. The Sox will lose 80 games next year. Larry and Ben must go! They are conservative, lack vision, and don't know how to rebuild the club. Both must be fired, with Ben becoming Asst. GM, where he can do a good job. With a new CEO and GM, the Sox will have a chance of rebuilding. As is, we'll have losing seasons in 2013 and 2014. Sad lack of leadership at the top!

They havent even started to "rebuild" the club...Jeeez...How do you know they cant do it? Theres nothing you have to back up that blob of negativity...

getting rid of 250mm was just the beginning and a pretty amazing deal for the Sox. shedding 250mm AND getting 4 prospects as well as a fill-in for Gonzo til the end of they year. +1

Now the manager is in place without having to give up a top prospect or player (Mike Aviles) as was the thought from everyone involved. They showed they could get creative and send them Aviles, and the rumor is the Sox will take Adam Lind and the 5mm he is owed for 2013 along with a 2mm buyout. Thats using the extra $$ they have wisely IMO.  No big names leaving. +1

If LL can run baseball operations, which hes good at, and Let BC be the GM, then I think we should get a feel of how BC is as a GM.

The $$ is there, unlike last year. I think BC will surprise a few folks here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichBoston. Show RichBoston's posts

Historically, pitching coaches make the worst managers and catchers make the best. Brad Ausmus was my man. Young, bright, hardworking...perfect choice for a rebuilding team. Farrell would have been a better choice if the Sox were further along in their rebuilding efforts. Nonetheless, Farrell is  a good guy, also bright and hard working and knows the town, the organization, the owners, the fans and what it is like here. There is definitely a value to all that. From the ownership perspective he is a safe hire. Unlike the moronic Bobby V hire, even if Farrell puts together a team with the record of his Blue Jays (which he likely will) the owners won't be criticized. Not the worst hire but not the best either...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RichBoston's comment:

Historically, pitching coaches make the worst managers and catchers make the best. Brad Ausmus was my man. Young, bright, hardworking...perfect choice for a rebuilding team. Farrell would have been a better choice if the Sox were further along in their rebuilding efforts. Nonetheless, Farrell is  a good guy, also bright and hard working and knows the town, the organization, the owners, the fans and what it is like here. There is definitely a value to all that. From the ownership perspective he is a safe hire. Unlike the moronic Bobby V hire, even if Farrell puts together a team with the record of his Blue Jays (which he likely will) the owners won't be criticized. Not the worst hire but not the best either...

While Farrell was Head of Player Development for Cleveland,  they had the best rated farm system in MLB in 2003. Also In 2003-4 named Organization of the year.

I think he can handle young players and has an eye for talent and player development.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Although this is speculation, I would think that if Farrell didn't leave and Francona left, the transition to Farrell would have been pretty seamless.  A bump in the road "Valentine" was overcome and now the RS are where they wanted to be.  Losing Aviles isn't a big deal and 7 mil in salary isnt either.  The biggest problem for this team IMO has been pitching.  2 pitching coaches in the last 2 years and lousy results from the staff.  Get a staff together and concentrate on pitching I think the rest will work out.  Good Luck to Farrell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to RichBoston's comment:

I agree, but it's worth noting 2 things:

1) Ausmus was viewed as a very 'low key" guy. I think we can all agree this team needs someone to take charge.

2) While Farrell was in Boston, he was very much a "no nonsense" guy. I don't know how or why, but he lost that team in Toronto. Maybe someone trying to lay some rules down, who they didn't know or respect, was as bad a choice as bringing Valentine here. Players in Boston DO respect Farrell, so I think they will respond to him better than Valentine, and better than Toronto did to Farrell. But, we shall find out with the rest of the world, when the games begin. Hopefully they are only baseball games, and not the childish nonsense we all suffered through.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I can live with Aviles for Lind. Lind hits righties pretty well, and we didn't decimate our farm system. Farrell wouldn't have been my choice as manager, but if he can get Lester back to form I'll be more than willing to eat my words.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

So they hire a guy who's team finishes second to last and underachieved all season long. Nice.

It also has a lot to do with what you have to work with.

Give me solid oak to build a table and you take partical board, which table will be stronger ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I think the owners are more comfortable with Farrrell, they know what they are getting.  I liked Ausmus but Farrell has more expeirece.  Whoever we get needs to have time to transition with this team.  This team will need time to rebuild.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I'm wth Carnie.  The key is Lester.  

Lester WAR

09    6.4

10    5.8

11    3.7

12     3.3

Without a return to form the Sox are in trouble!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Not my first choice but I can't say I am against it either.  It's good that it is done early anyway and things can go forward.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the sox got their man that they all wanted....why? because he will say all the right things....how is that going to make our team better again?  Ben now go out there and do some real GM work...get some hurlers

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I'm happy with Farrell, and happy with the compensation.  Farrell is not going to be a miracle worker - none of the candidates would be - but he possesses a lot of qualities that will at least get the team headed in the right direction.

Good job by the FO on getting this done quickly and not giving up any prospects.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Farrell got the job.  Those of us who are underwhelmed need to take a deep breath and let the optimism for 2013 begin.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

the sox got their man that they all wanted....why? because he will say all the right things....how is that going to make our team better again?

Hiring a manager who isn't always saying idiotic things is an immediate improvement to the team.

Sections
Shortcuts