Red Sox Hire Farrell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Red Sox Hire Farrell

Latest is that Lind isn't part of the deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I'm happy with Farrell, and happy with the compensation.  Farrell is not going to be a miracle worker - none of the candidates would be - but he possesses a lot of qualities that will at least get the team headed in the right direction.

Good job by the FO on getting this done quickly and not giving up any prospects.

Familiarlity and comfort level with the organization, pitchers and handles the big market media well. There are reasons the front office wanted Farrell last season, still and did what they had to, to get him back. They'll work together as an organization, which is the first step in righting the ship. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I wish Farrel luck but he's not my choice. To me the FO got their guy who they can control and it's more than likely to continue to be a mess. Hope I'm wrong !! This team and FO sorely need to blood. Hoping V-Tek is listened to as an advisor. He knows pitchers and should be part of the rebuilding process. 

My guess, Farrel lasts two years and another search starts.  Dammit, I'm starting to feel like a negative  troll. Where's Bill806 and Idiot2004 when you need them !!  

Hetch

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

I'm hearing from Edes that Lind WILL NOT be part of the deal. We are probably getting a pitcher.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

Farrell got the job.  Those of us who are underwhelmed need to take a deep breath and let the optimism for 2013 begin.

You mean 2014, right? The pitching problems on this team will take at least TWO YEARS to rectify.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WoodstoveBill. Show WoodstoveBill's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:

Sean McAdam @Sean_McAdam

Breaking: Red Sox have hired John Farrell as manager, signing him to multi-year deal. Official announcement coming soon.

Great!  Another looser.  Have the Red Sox not paid attention to the last 4 years in Toronto?

Yeesh.  Will the Sox ever learn?  Tony Pena would have been a very sound choice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What's the over-under on the amount of games we play in 2013 before a number of Farrell bashers hit this site in earnest?

2-3 games?

The Cards are proving that the manager does not make that big of a difference (although the Tigers may be proving otherwise).

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

Well, Farrell is "6'2, white, blond with blue eyes" and he certaily "LOOKS" like a Manager, BUT does he really have anything between the ears to be a Manager of the Boston Red Sox?  Sure hope he can get the job done and wish him much luck because I think he's going to need it considering the current Red Sox roster, management, media and the Red Sox Nation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

The only thing Farrell does is bring a guy back to Boston who has a proven track record of commanding respect from Boston players, especially the pitching staff.

Sounds like a pretty damn good place to start, as the pitching will be our #1, #2, & #3 issues to be addressed by the Sox.  To be more specific.....  Why are pitchers with a proven track record of performance underperforming????  Again, Farrell fits the bill to address this issue.

Now, if the Sox don't aggressively go after a couple of quality pitchers to round out the SR, Farrell will not have a chance!  If the Sox don't deal Lackey, he will be walking into a bad situation.  Dealing Beckett was a great move in ridding this team of a huge drag on the young pitchers, but many on this board are already buying into the probability that Lackey will come back a renewed & productive #3 SP???  PLEASE!!!  The little talent he ever had is long gone!  His dumb arss, good old boy, keep the boys loose with your idiot personality is exactly the wrong thing this ZERO DISCIPLINE SR needs!!!!!

LACKEY MUST GO or the Sox a doomed to yet another underperforming season!

Beyond pitching, the holes in this roster are HUGE!  1st base!  SS!!!!  2 OFers!!!!! an unsettled catching situation!!!!!

Not to mention a weak hitting team at this point.

Tough to imagine that all these issues get solved over the winter!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

I wish Farrel luck but he's not my choice. To me the FO got their guy who they can control and it's more than likely to continue to be a mess. Hope I'm wrong !! This team and FO sorely need to blood. Hoping V-Tek is listened to as an advisor. He knows pitchers and should be part of the rebuilding process. 

My guess, Farrel lasts two years and another search starts.  Dammit, I'm starting to feel like a negative  troll. Where's Bill806 and Idiot2004 when you need them !!  

Hetch

I agree. Not my choice either. Tony Pena would have been my choice. Not sure why all this fuss about getting Farrell. I wish they had gone outside of the past......

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:

Lackey just might come back from surgery and be excellent. Nobody really knows.

OY!  Here we go again!!!  Just like Dice-K huh???

PLEASE!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:

Don't you guys have a pitcher named Tazawa who had TJ surgery and pitched great this season? In fact, many do well after TJ surgery.

I like Tazawa to become a starter :)  I'm with you there!

Lackey???  Never had it, & won't get back the little he had to begin with.  He was pitching in the worst hitting division in the majors, & was pitching for a solid D, solid O team.

If he is brought back, it will be an epic Dice-K like bust!  NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!

PLUS......  His personality is all wrong for a SR that DESPERATELY NEEDS DISCIPLINE!!!!!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlvr67. Show redsoxlvr67's posts

II would think that Farrell would always be looking over his shoulder.

Sean McAdam ‏@Sean_McAdam

Breaking: Red Sox have hired John Farrell as manager, signing him to multi-year deal. Official announcement coming soon.

[/QUOTE]

I think we should hire Assumus as our bench coach  any thoughts ?

[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100% but unlikely.

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Last year I looked at the list of candidates and said any one but Valentine. It was the same this year with Farrell. I was right last year. I hope I'm wrong this year but have serious reservations. The front office "got thier man" but is he the right choice. I don't believe so. It feels like taking two steps back in order to take one step forward. Again, I hope I'm wrong and won't bash Farrell, Just like I didn't bash Valentine, but my gut feeling is that this will not end well. JMO

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Latest is that Lind isn't part of the deal.

it's going to be pitcher david carpenter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=502304#gameType='L'

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

1:04pm: The Blue Jays have confirmed the Carpenter-for-Aviles trade and the release of Farrell from his contract in a press release.

12:36pm: The Red Sox will receive right-hander David Carpenter from the Blue Jays, multiple industry sources tell Alex Speier and Rob Bradford of WEEI.com.  This marks the second time that the 27-year-old has been traded this year as he went from the Astros to Toronto in a ten-player deal this summer.  Carpenter appeared in 33 games for the two clubs last season, posting a 8.07 ERA with 8.6 K/9 and 4.5 BB/9.  He also had a 3.08 ERA with 8.5 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 23 Triple-A appearances.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Are the Red Sox stockpiling Carpenters?

Well, I guess they are rebuilding.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUKB3PxG-0E

Sections
Shortcuts