2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: Red Sox Hire Farrell

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So they hire a guy who's team finishes second to last and underachieved all season long. Nice.

[/QUOTE]

Come on, really? What was Belechicks record before he came here? How about Franconas? Joe Torre before NYY? I could go on and on...

Its got to be the right fit as well as a manager makes mistakes managing for the first time, and as another poster stated (Thanks Roy), they actually LEARN from those mistakes and are better the second time around.

Farrell knows the FO and they know him and how he operates...They know more than any of us (at least some of us know that) because theyve interacted with him on a personal and professional level and also experioenced 1st hand how he interactes with players. Time will only tell if he was the right choice, but to discount him because his first 2yrs managing with a mediocre team didnt go well is ridiculous...

[/QUOTE]

But thats the problem: our FO has been incompetent since 2007. So they hire someone who is their patsy and we somehow expect things to change??? No manager is going to work miracles for the team next year, so I would give Farrell TWO years. It would have been much much better if they had fired Cherington and hired a manager from outside the system.

[/QUOTE]

I have to put away "Sit & Spit" and begin a new era. I'll call Farrell "Ree-Coma" or "Slack Jaw".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

So they hire a guy who's team finishes second to last and underachieved all season long. Nice.

[/QUOTE]

Blue Jays lost their pitching staff to injuries. tough to blame that on a manager.

[/QUOTE]

Helloooooo??? Bobby V. dealt with a few injuries and every one blames him !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

I have to put away "Sit & Spit" and begin a new era. I'll call Farrell "Ree-Coma" or "Slack Jaw".

You were remarkably quiet while your boy Bobby V was melting down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

All I have to say for Ben and LL is Farrell BETTER win or I think there will be even bigger changes. With all this coveting of one manager, their jobs could be on the line if it turns out bad.The hitting, pitching and bench coach will be the choice ofthe new manager. We saw how not doing it that way worked out already...

[/QUOTE]

Right you are on that lefty, but, then again, Henry leans on Lucchino like a crutch and gives me the impression he would be lost without that bum.  What we might get is more dysfunction from a bunch of seemingly incompetent team executives, but win Farrell must.  Frankly, I'm not impressed with the guy at all.  He never won anything in two years in Toronto and in fact his team went into reverse those two seasons, plus it's going to cost us a player or two.  I hope you're right, though.  I hope that if this guy fails Henry either sells out or grows a pair and suddenly starts showing interest in his team again by kicking some of his minions out of Fenway Park.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

Right you are on that lefty, but, then again, Henry leans on Lucchino like a crutch and gives me the impression he would be lost without that bum.  What we might get is more dysfunction from a bunch of seemingly incompetent team executives, but win Farrell must.  Frankly, I'm not impressed with the guy at all.  He never won anything in two years in Toronto and in fact his team went into reverse those two seasons, plus it's going to cost us a player or two.  I hope you're right, though.  I hope that if this guy fails Henry either sells out or grows a pair and suddenly starts showing interest in his team again by kicking some of his minions out of Fenway Park.

I keep hoping Henry will buy out LL and sell that share to Dan Duquette.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only thing Farrell does is bring a guy back to Boston who has a proven track record of commanding respect from Boston players, especially the pitching staff.

Sounds like a pretty damn good place to start, as the pitching will be our #1, #2, & #3 issues to be addressed by the Sox.  To be more specific.....  Why are pitchers with a proven track record of performance underperforming????  Again, Farrell fits the bill to address this issue.

Now, if the Sox don't aggressively go after a couple of quality pitchers to round out the SR, Farrell will not have a chance!  If the Sox don't deal Lackey, he will be walking into a bad situation.  Dealing Beckett was a great move in ridding this team of a huge drag on the young pitchers, but many on this board are already buying into the probability that Lackey will come back a renewed & productive #3 SP???  PLEASE!!!  The little talent he ever had is long gone!  His dumb arss, good old boy, keep the boys loose with your idiot personality is exactly the wrong thing this ZERO DISCIPLINE SR needs!!!!!

LACKEY MUST GO or the Sox a doomed to yet another underperforming season!

Beyond pitching, the holes in this roster are HUGE!  1st base!  SS!!!!  2 OFers!!!!! an unsettled catching situation!!!!!

Not to mention a weak hitting team at this point.

Tough to imagine that all these issues get solved over the winter!

[/QUOTE]

Agree with you on the Lackey issue.  Lackey, along with his good old boys Beckett and Lester appeared to have been the main culprets in in the less than steller club house attitude that the Sox had at the end of 2011 and certainly 2012.  If Lackey remains with the Sox his contribution attitude and performance is at best questionable.  If Lackey is dumped he will go on to be a 15-20 game winner elsewhere bearing in mind past a number Red Sox moves in which players traded/dumped went on to do well with other teams.  Sox are dammed if they do or don't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Come on, really? What was Belechicks record before he came here? How about Franconas? Joe Torre before NYY? I could go on and on...

Its got to be the right fit as well as a manager makes mistakes managing for the first time, and as another poster stated (Thanks Roy), they actually LEARN from those mistakes and are better the second time around.

Farrell knows the FO and they know him and how he operates...They know more than any of us (at least some of us know that) because theyve interacted with him on a personal and professional level and also experioenced 1st hand how he interactes with players. Time will only tell if he was the right choice, but to discount him because his first 2yrs managing with a mediocre team didnt go well is ridiculous...

[/QUOTE]

But thats the problem: our FO has been incompetent since 2007. So they hire someone who is their patsy and we somehow expect things to change??? No manager is going to work miracles for the team next year, so I would give Farrell TWO years. It would have been much much better if they had fired Cherington and hired a manager from outside the system.

[/QUOTE]

The only thing wrong with what Southpaw wrote is that he fully believes Farrell will have complete control of what happens in the dugout, but unfortuately, we suspect he is a patsy like Cherington is and that behind the curtains there will be Lucchino pulling the strings.  We know the guy likes to have control of things even though he doesn't know jack sh!t about baseball operations.  Now that  Farrell has been named we can only hope that he has enough guts to run the show on the field himself, hire good coaches and get Henry to tell Lucchino to lay off.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to WoodstoveBill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bgomez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sean McAdam ‏@Sean_McAdam

Breaking: Red Sox have hired John Farrell as manager, signing him to multi-year deal. Official announcement coming soon.

[/QUOTE]

Great!  Another looser.  Have the Red Sox not paid attention to the last 4 years in Toronto?

Yeesh.  Will the Sox ever learn?  Tony Pena would have been a very sound choice.

[/QUOTE]

Bill---the Red Sox front office wanted someone who will play ball with them and one they can control if they have to.  Lucchino wants no manager he can't pull the string on and that should be very clear to anyone by now.  What was what that guy said when he defined stupidity and idiocy?  DOING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AND TRYING TO GET A DIFFERENT RESULT.  No, it seems like the Red Sox front office never learns.....and the fans have to pay for that stupidity.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Reports are now the sox will acquire RHP David Carpenter from Toronto in the John Ferrell deal. On a side note whats with sox and guys with the Sirname Carpenter?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

The only thing wrong with what Southpaw wrote is that he fully believes Farrell will have complete control of what happens in the dugout, but unfortuately, we suspect he is a patsy like Cherington is and that behind the curtains there will be Lucchino pulling the strings.  We know the guy likes to have control of things even though he doesn't know jack sh!t about baseball operations.  Now that  Farrell has been named we can only hope that he has enough guts to run the show on the field himself, hire good coaches and get Henry to tell Lucchino to lay off.

[/QUOTE]

You've got that right. Until Lucchino stays away from day to day baseball operations nothing much will change. The song remains the same.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichBoston. Show RichBoston's posts

[QUWhile Farrell was Head of Player Development for Cleveland,  they had the best rated farm system in MLB in 2003. Also In 2003-4 named Organization of the year.

I think he can handle young players and has an eye for talent and player development.OTE]

Unless I missed something the Sox hired him as Field Manager, not the Head of Player Development. Two completely different jobs, skill sets etc.

In response to RichBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Historically, pitching coaches make the worst managers and catchers make the best. Brad Ausmus was my man. Young, bright, hardworking...perfect choice for a rebuilding team. Farrell would have been a better choice if the Sox were further along in their rebuilding efforts. Nonetheless, Farrell is  a good guy, also bright and hard working and knows the town, the organization, the owners, the fans and what it is like here. There is definitely a value to all that. From the ownership perspective he is a safe hire. Unlike the moronic Bobby V hire, even if Farrell puts together a team with the record of his Blue Jays (which he likely will) the owners won't be criticized. Not the worst hire but not the best either...

[/QUOTE]

While Farrell was Head of Player Development for Cleveland,  they had the best rated farm system in MLB in 2003. Also In 2003-4 named Organization of the year.

I think he can handle young players and has an eye for talent and player development.

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Bosox1941:

I have to put away "Sit & Spit" and begin a new era. I'll call Farrell "Ree-Coma" or "Slack Jaw".

Well, at least it's good to see that you're going into this with an open mind. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Finally someone making some sense....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Farrell is  a great choice but I think giving up Aviles is a bit much...He was a gutsy player with a decent bat who showed better defensive ability than I predicted...Still Farrell is a top notch choice on all levels, and a great start to a rebuilding process...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The 2009 Adam Lind or the 2010-11 Lind?

[/QUOTE]

I imagine the 2009 version would be ideal. To me, either one would be fine as long as it wasnt names like Rubby D, Webster, Barnes etc., that went to Toronto..

[/QUOTE]

Unlikely.  In 6 years, Lind has only been better than AAAA level one time.  He might help Pawtucket get to the post-season, but that is where the dream dies...

[/QUOTE]

This is BS.... he is a good player, not great but certainly equal to Aviles and better than Loney... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm hearing from Edes that Lind WILL NOT be part of the deal. We are probably getting a pitcher.

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reports are now the sox will acquire RHP David Carpenter from Toronto in the John Ferrell deal. On a side note whats with sox and guys with the Sirname Carpenter?

[/QUOTE]

So just another piece of garbage arm that will do nothing for the Sox.... I knew the Lind thing was too good to be true

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Blue Jays lost their pitching staff to injuries. tough to blame that on a manager.

[/QUOTE]

Helloooooo??? Bobby V. dealt with a few injuries and every one blames him !!

[/QUOTE]

This is mostly because Bobby V was an idiot.  Stop crying about your idol failing.  You were wrong.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox have now received two Carpenters, each a righthanded pitcher born in 1985, in compensation deals involving Theo Epstein and John Farrell.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox have now received two Carpenters, each a righthanded pitcher born in 1985, in compensation deals involving Theo Epstein and John Farrell.

[/QUOTE]

And unfortunately neither can pitch worth sh@t!!!!!!  Then neither could that bum Stewart we got from the White Sox.  And some people here wonder why some of us are cynical and have absolutely no use for Cherington.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And unfortunately neither can pitch worth sh@t!!!!!!  Then neither could that bum Stewart we got from the White Sox.  And some people here wonder why some of us are cynical and have absolutely no use for Cherington.

[/QUOTE]

Because of his bad trades for Epstein and Farrell?  Youk hit 235 last year.  

Not sure if any of this is a good reason to judge him.

This offseason is his to succeed or fail.  Last year he had no real options with the payroll he was stuck with.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

A year ago would you think that today there would be:

• No AGon
    • No Beckett
    • No Crawford
    • No Youk
    • Another new manager
    • Bard on the rails
    • Elles a bigger question mark than ever
    • Wondering who the Sox will draft with their #7 pick

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I always felt Farrell was overated as a Pitching Coach, we'll see. Like I said before Francona was terrible before he came here, maybe History will repeat.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if I would consider him overated as a pitching coach based on what staff has done since he left. Lester would be best case in point. But for manager let's face it RS know what they're getting, had him in organization and know him unlike someone like Ausmus or Wallach. As for Jays record not sure Rays have the kind of talent the RS posses and injuries to Batista really killed their chances at competing in AL East. While I would have been onboard w/ hire of Ausmus, at least there will be no excuses from RS management [unlike Valentine] they got their man and if it doesn't work out RS will be looking to make changes at the very top like keeping Larry's nose out of baseball opp's and looking for the next GM.

Sections
Shortcuts