Red Sox Hitters Bad Role Models?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joerock22. Show joerock22's posts

Red Sox Hitters Bad Role Models?

I will probably sound like an overprotective mother making this post, but there you go. 

Ortiz - I understand that Kevin Gregg provoked him.  The argument was done, Ortiz was jogging down to first, and Gregg started it up again.  But Ortiz was the one who escalated it into physical violence, and you can't do that.  If an argument is verbal, most of the time it should be kept that way.  If this was on the street, you could be guilty of a crime, Mr. Ortiz.  I don't mind if you want to say something back to him; we're not monks here.  Maybe, "What's it like to be so funny-looking?" or "Do you enjoy closing for the Orioles?"  At least then you wouldn't be the one who lost his cool.  At some point you need to realize that you're arguing about something completely trivial--omg, you almost got hit with a baseball.  And the pitcher insulted me!  Let's fight!  *sighs*

Pedroia - You love his passion, but he argues way too much and swears too much.  We can all read lips; save it until you get back to the dugout. And the other night he screamed at the home plate umpire as he was running to first on a base hit. That was ridiculous. 

Youkilis - How many times this year have we seen him argue a strike call that was actually a strike.  It's as though he believes he has a smaller strike zone than everyone else. 

I love my Red Sox, and I realize these guys are human, but they are also professionals.  As such, they need to do better for all the young people who look up to them. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Red Sox Hitters Bad Role Models?

"I will probably sound like an overprotective mother making this post"

Good call on that one..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

JoeRock, why the need to start another thread on this topic since it's being discussed on another. Is it your claim for 15 minutes of BDC forum fame?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

nah,  I hear ya and understand why some people may feel that way, but personally I have no problem with what Ortiz did.  I'm not saying that Red Sox hitters are good role models but I think people have the right to stand up for themselves.  Fighting is innate and in all of our blood, and yeah we say we live in this "civilized society" where we don't condone violence yet it's ok to go to war every decade....I'm not buying it.  

If the argument against is that throwing a punch is bringing it to another level then I ask why? because you are no longer inflicting verbal damage but physical damage?

I'd answer that with two points.  First of all If you throw at someone intentionally, then you are physically causing someone damage first, so IMO Gregg could be the one who started a physical controversy.  Also in my opinion, I think Verbal arguments can afflict a lot more pain than physical.  Men fight, I fight all the time I'm a boxer,  America loves fighting but yet we have a problem with it at other times.  You duke it out and end up with a black eye or a bloody nose, but your fine in a few days....while verbal arguments can destroy peoples lives, self esteem, ruin friendships, and cause people long standing mental pain.

men will lose their cool sometimes especially when threatened,  If I felt like someone is throwing a baseball 90 + mph at me intentionally then I'll take that as a threat.  I still think that David Ortiz should be suspended for a game or two, but I don't think he did anything wrong as well.

It would be like if my kid got suspended for punching a kid and knocking him down, but he was defending himself against a bully who was picking on him...I'd be happy and proud that he defended himself. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Sox hitters are good role models because of

1)  the many charity events and organizations they support.
    2) they are the most social and liked players in the league.
    3) they play hard no matter what. 

Everybody likes Papi, except maybe Gregg.  And even Ozzi likes PD.  Nice that you blame Ortiz, not the guy who got thrown out FIRST by the umps, for last nights incident.  Ortiz was in his home park.  Gregg is either stupid or was told to that what he did, and then Show-off-walter is to blame. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I've said this before...With RS fans you either show too much emotion youk/Pedroia or not enough Drew/Agon/Ellsbury.
    You show emotion and you are mocked because people think you are calling out your team mates----Lackey.

RS players can not win the emotion issue. Too much not enough etc.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

It's like I always told my daughter when she went to school: don't ever start a fight...but make d@mn sure you finish it. 

The O's are an angry and frustrated team.  I had heard the radio announcers last night during the first inning talking about how Showalter had given the team a talking to (from the overall tone and suggestiveness, it basically sounded like they were trying to say without saying that Showalter ripped everyone a new one). 

Cruising into their 50th loss of the year, they were on edge and had nothing to loose.  At that point in the game, they had pretty much given up on trying to salvage anything.  So they took their frustration out on the other team. 

So are the O's pitchers also bad role models?  Are they sending a message to their fans saying that if you are having a bad day/week/get yelled at by the boss it's OK to take it out on someone else?  That when the only thing you can salvage is dignity and reputation you should reject that path and give into your base instincts?

People are what they are.  Even Jesus lost his temper and got physical with the moneylenders. 

The only people who will carry on about the "bad blood" between the two teams will be reporters who need something to talk about when there's not much happening. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I hear where you're coming from.
    Our players should all be more like Drew, Mr. Personality!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Alibi Ike just found an alibi to continue with his "bash Drew" fetish. Somehow he manages to work it into any thread no matter what it is about. Talk about boring.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

nah,  I hear ya and understand why some people may feel that way, but personally I have no problem with what Ortiz did.  I'm not saying that Red Sox hitters are good role models but I think people have the right to stand up for themselves.  Fighting is innate and in all of our blood, and yeah we say we live in this "civilized society" where we don't condone violence yet it's ok to go to war every decade....I'm not buying it

Yeah, I can see it both ways.  The ideal is that every loves each and we're on some type of mystical plane.  OTOH, sports is a substitute for warfare, writ small.  We are aggressive animals on some level.  We've trained ourselves to live in peace.  We will not be able to drive out the DNA to be aggressive and be agrieved.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It's like I always told my daughter when she went to school: don't ever start a fight...but make d@mn sure you finish it.

You should teach.  This is exactly what I teach my daughter.  She plays in an occasionally tough B-ball league.  I tell her to never play cheap.  Try to win, but try to have the other team feel good about themselves.

But if someone throws an intential elbow, you throw one back.  If someone takes a cheap shot at our tiny point guard, ask them if they want to pick on soeone their own size.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Red Sox Hitters Bad Role Models?:
    I will probably sound like an overprotective mother making this post, but there you go.  Ortiz - I understand that Kevin Gregg provoked him.  The argument was done, Ortiz was jogging down to first, and Gregg started it up again.  But Ortiz was the one who escalated it into physical violence, and you can't do that.  If an argument is verbal, most of the time it should be kept that way.  If this was on the street, you could be guilty of a crime , Mr. Ortiz.  I don't mind if you want to say something back to him; we're not monks here.  Maybe, "What's it like to be so funny-looking?" or "Do you enjoy closing for the Orioles? "  At least then you wouldn't be the one who lost his cool.  At some point you need to realize that you're arguing about something completely trivial--omg, you almost got hit with a baseball.  And the pitcher insulted me!  Let's fight!  *sighs* Pedroia - You love his passion, but he argues way too much and swears too much.  We can all read lips; save it until you get back to the dugout. And the other night he screamed at the home plate umpire as he was running to first on a base hit. That was ridiculous.  Youkilis - How many times this year have we seen him argue a strike call that was actually a strike.  It's as though he believes he has a smaller strike zone than everyone else.  I love my Red Sox, and I realize these guys are human, but they are also professionals.  As such, they need to do better for all the young people who look up to them. 
    Posted by joerock22

I know I may sound like an over-protective poster, but do you have any idea how much damage a 94 MPH fastball can do to a person depending on ehwhere he's hit?
    I'll take one in the mug over that any day.

Sections
Shortcuts