Red Sox in Trouble

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Red Sox in Trouble

Okay Lackey threw a gem last night. That being said, Buchholtz (0-2 record, 7.71 ERA)  and Doubront(1-3 record)  ERA around 6.00) and poor team defense is not going to cut it for the Sox. We need improvements and soon or this team is going back to finishing in last place. Last year Sox were 13-6 vs NY. this year they are already 2-5 vs NY. It is not that we are 2-5 vs NY but how we have lost- we are getting hammered by the Yankees.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Red Sox in Trouble

In response to razcreation's comment:

Okay Lackey threw a gem last night. That being said, Buchholtz (0-2 record, 7.71 ERA)  and Doubront(1-3 record)  ERA around 6.00) and poor team defense is not going to cut it for the Sox. We need improvements and soon or this team is going back to finishing in last place. Last year Sox were 13-6 vs NY. this year they are already 2-5 vs NY. It is not that we are 2-5 vs NY but how we have lost- we are getting hammered by the Yankees.

And a couple of years ago, the Sox started something like 9-1 against the Yankees -- something one-sided like that -- and finished 9-9 against the Yankees.

A lot still can happen.

I'm giving Doubrant a pass tonight because the defense did him no favors. The Sox are bumbling a long right now and still are just 3 1/2 games out, which to me is great. The way the Sox have been playing, they could be six games or so out.

It's still fine to be patient. Victorino just came back, Middlebrooks should be back soon. Let the regular lineup play together awhile and let's see what happens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

And a couple of years ago, the Sox started something like 9-1 against the Yankees -- something one-sided like that -- and finished 9-9 against the Yankees.

A lot still can happen.

I'm giving Doubrant a pass tonight because the defense did him no favors. The Sox are bumbling a long right now and still are just 3 1/2 games out, which to me is great. The way the Sox have been playing, they could be six games or so out.

It's still fine to be patient. Victorino just came back, Middlebrooks should be back soon. Let the regular lineup play together awhile and let's see what happens.

[object HTMLDivElement].    Roy, I can agree that it is still early and there is plenty of time to right the ship. But this team did not look good in spring training and does not look good in the early going. There is definitely a cause for concern. A wake up call is sorely needed. I have been a supporter of Doubront, but I don't see how anyone can give him a pass for tonight. It's not just that he pitched badly, but he gave the impression that he was totally disinterested. That is inexcusable. This was the rubber game with our arch rivals. Sellout crowd at Fenway. Sure it was cold, but I would like to see a better effort. Doubront looked like he did not want to be out there. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I can see both sides. I think it's foolish to think they're going to repeat, but probably aren't this bad either. But getting to their medium point may mean no playoffs and 83 wins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Doubront has been talked about having good stuff but not the attitude to be a good pitcher. Last year he showed up to camp in bad shape. The Sox looked bad in spring training and it seems to have carried over.

n response to dgalehouse's comment:

A lot still can happen.

[object HTMLDivElement].    Roy, I can agree that it is still early and there is plenty of time to right the ship. But this team did not look good in spring training and does not look good in the early going. There is definitely a cause for concern. A wake up call is sorely needed. I have been a supporter of Doubront, but I don't see how anyone can give him a pass for tonight. It's not just that he pitched badly, but he gave the impression that he was totally disinterested. That is inexcusable. This was the rubber game with our arch rivals. Sellout crowd at Fenway. Sure it was cold, but I would like to see a better effort. Doubront looked like he did not want to be out there. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

So many seasons we whipped the Yanks early and faded down the stretch...

I'm surprised by fans who are surprised by our struggles. We captured some lightning in a bottle last year and while I was not in favor of signing Ellsbury at that price, it's a loss you don't just make up for the heck of it. 

A lot of this comes down to management: will they make roster and course corrections? We'll see. I'm guessing, and this is just a guess, that they won't make radical changes this season, but I still expect some roster moves of some kind if struggles continue indefinitely. 

I didn't expect them to repeat this year and I don't mind a less spectacular season, with this caveat: I want to see some young guys developing (or not). Don't want two bit veterans taking up too much playing time. 

So far, I think we're in pretty good shape there

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

I think Sizemore on defense is not the answer. Bradley IN CF, Bring up the #1 catching prospect to take over full time and replace doubront and we in better shape.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I think Sizemore on defense is not the answer. Bradley IN CF, Bring up the #1 catching prospect to take over full time and replace doubront and we in better shape.

[object HTMLDivElement] 

Except Bradley is lousy at the plate and shows no signs of improving. Maybe he will pull what PD did in 07, but I have my doubts. Plus, when PD did that he was the only rookie, and was surrounded by a team of high quality veterans who were playing well and in first place, not doing THIS. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We're 3.5 games out of first place and just 2.0 from the last WC slot.

Relax.

Do we have issues that needed to be fixed or turned around? Of course, but it's way to early to be all juiced up about a bad start.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Moon, I concur 100%.  It's too early in the season to panic. Despite playing poorly, the team's out only 2 games for WC and 3.5 games out of first in the division.

Let's give the management some credit for recognizing what isn't working and making appropriate adjustments, including roster changes, approach to the game, game management, etc.  If the team's still playing like this by the end of May, feel free to line up on the bridges but it isn't worth it. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Last year on this board many of us SOX fans picked on the ASTROS. The SOX are now the ASTROS. One major move in turning this leaky ship around is to get rid of Doubront. He is a terrible pitcher and extremely boring to watch. Maybe the SOX can get a toaster in a trade.

Another move would be to obtain DREW and put Bogie at 3rd. He is not a ML SS. Middlebrooks will not help the team and he, too, s/b traded before he pulls another muscle.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

A lot still can happen.

How do you give him a pass? He still gave up 7 hits in 2 2/3, one of the errors was his, the Bogaerts error shouldn't have been an error, etc. His WHIP is over 1.70.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Relax.

Do we have issues that needed to be fixed or turned around? Of course, but it's way to early to be all juiced up about a bad start.

Sox4ever

Moon - Have you been watching this team?

1. No leadoff hitter.

2. Lost a lot at catcher with Salty gone.

3. Sizemore and Bradley in OF.

They are fundamentally bad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Relax.

Sox4ever

1. No leadoff hitter.

No SS.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

A lot still can happen.

They just don't look as hungry this yr. Lat yr they were peeved about the 2012 fiasco; this yr they seem relatively complacent; with the possible exception of Pedroia, of course, and even in his case the edge seems a little less.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Maybe not in trouble, but certainly troubling.  Hitting has struggled from the start.  Bullpen has been terrific.  Rotation started out pretty good, but seems to be fading fast, especially Doubront and Buchholz.  Now five errors in a single game which led I think to 6 unearned runs. 

Right side of the Sox infield looks fine to me--at bat and in the field.  Left side not so much.  If Farrell goes with Sizemore, Bradley, and Victorino in the outfield, right now they look like good field not much hit.  Two old catchers seem to have a basic problem with actually catching (or blocking) pitches and neither has much of an arm.  Presumably, they call good games, but that's getting a little harder to believe given recent starts. 

With MBR returning, the Sox will have three relative youngsters at 3B, SS, and CF--all three of whom are suspect at the plate and two of whom are suspect in the field. 

All five starters have now been hammered at least once, really hammered.  Maybe it's the cold weather, I don't know, but it is the most troubling part of what we have seen.  Those five players, just 20% of the active roster, can make or break a season pretty much by themselves if they are very good or very bad.  If they are in between, which is usually the case for the Sox, then the offense and bullpen need to come through. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, every pitch of every game.

1. No leadoff hitter.

Vic is back now. Pedey can lead off.

A loss, but not insurmountable.

I love both of these guys. Give them time.

They are playing badly. They are one 5 game winning streak from 1st place.

No SS.

No D at SS, I agree.

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

A lot still can happen.

They just don't look as hungry this yr. Lat yr they were peeved about the 2012 fiasco; this yr they seem relatively complacent; with the possible exception of Pedroia, of course, and even in his case the edge seems a little less.

You make a good point.  In order to win a ws everything has to click and  that's not happening right now with the sox.  The team will get better, I hope, but the chances of a repeat of last year are slim to none.

In the free agent era back to back ws are rare so I don't think the fo is aiming for one this year.  Rookies are cheap after all.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Yes, every pitch of every game.

1. No leadoff hitter.

Vic is back now. Pedey can lead off.

A loss, but not insurmountable.

I love both of these guys. Give them time.

They are playing badly. They are one 5 game winning streak from 1st place.

No SS.

No D at SS, I agree.

Sox4ever

LOL, glass half full guy!  Lack of D at SS is a major problem.  Sox just can't seem to find a long term guy for that position.  I wonder if jete could fill it next year ;0)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

How do you give him a pass? He still gave up 7 hits in 2 2/3, one of the errors was his, the Bogaerts error shouldn't have been an error, etc. His WHIP is over 1.70.

Perhaps pass is a bit strong, but I'll still cut him some slack. He should have been out of the first w/o a run. The Sox should have turned the double play the next inning. 

What was troubling was that he didn't/couldn't bear down to pick up his defense. That's what the team did great last year. If the pitching struggled or there was a blown save, the offense picked up the slack. If the defense made an error, the pitchers picked up the defense by getting the next batter. If the hitters were struggling, the pitching and defense came through.

None of that is happening, or it rarely has happened so far this year.

I've been a big critic of Doubront in the past for the way he came in shape, and whether or not he was disinterested last night, he certainly wasn't mentally tough enough to battle through the tough spot the defense put him in.

But games like last night often have a way of pssing everyone off the same that it turns things around.

I'm not getting too bent out of shape now because I expected a rough start. I think if the Sox can put together a couple of solid games in a row in all facets, maybe everyone will start playing better. I still believe in Bradley and Bogaerts, but you have to expect growing pains with them. Sizemore had a great spring and strong start. Hopefully, he's just in a slump and gets back on track.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dmo3of4. Show dmo3of4's posts

this is not the same team that won and we need to honestly recognize that the collective losses of Ellsbury, Drew, and Saltalamacchia have had a greater impact than people expected.  The unexpected downturn in Nava and the injuries- particularly to Victorino- have compounded the situation.  We won the WS last year with Drew at SS, XB at 3B--that would be a stabilizing alignment and be a good first step in recognizing that Boegarts is not a major league SS, but he may be a major league 3B

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

The Sox will get Drew and then trade for Lee or Shields will be in Boston at the deadline, I don't see them standing pat and letting the Yanks run and hide.

• Sections
    Shortcuts