Red Sox in Trouble

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

Re: Red Sox in Trouble

The Sox will get Drew and then trade for Lee or Shields will be in Boston at the deadline, I don't see them standing pat and letting the Yanks run and hide.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to PhilTheAce's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox will get Drew and then trade for Lee or Shields will be in Boston at the deadline, I don't see them standing pat and letting the Yanks run and hide.

[/QUOTE]

They're not getting Drew.

And after not going after big-name pitchers in the offseason because they're trusting their prospects, I doubt they're suddenly going to panic and dump the prospects for aging veterans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to dmo3of4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this is not the same team that won and we need to honestly recognize that the collective losses of Ellsbury, Drew, and Saltalamacchia have had a greater impact than people expected.  The unexpected downturn in Nava and the injuries- particularly to Victorino- have compounded the situation.  We won the WS last year with Drew at SS, XB at 3B--that would be a stabilizing alignment and be a good first step in recognizing that Boegarts is not a major league SS, but he may be a major league 3B

[/QUO

You are so right.... Seen this in spring training... Lots of holes to fill and Sox go for retirement special at catching and no  improved Offense . You never count on what last season worked. New season and different results. Do players feel pressure that Management did nothing to  make a move at another world series instead of filling their pockets at the expense of last years team. They need a oil change before the motor runs dry. Sad thing is they have the tools to do just that......Hope you enjoy your season ticket. Might have been better off going on vacation with that money. After all the Sox are doing just that.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this is not the same team that won and we need to honestly recognize that the collective losses of Ellsbury, Drew, and Saltalamacchia have had a greater impact than people expected.  The unexpected downturn in Nava and the injuries- particularly to Victorino- have compounded the situation.  We won the WS last year with Drew at SS, XB at 3B--that would be a stabilizing alignment and be a good first step in recognizing that Boegarts is not a major league SS, but he may be a major league 3B

[/QUO

You are so right.... Seen this in spring training... Lots of holes to fill and Sox go for retirement special at catching and no  improved Offense . You never count on what last season worked. New season and different results. Do players feel pressure that Management did nothing to  make a move at another world series instead of filling their pockets at the expense of last years team. They need a oil change before the motor runs dry. Sad thing is they have the tools to do just that......Hope you enjoy your season ticket. Might have been better off going on vacation with that money. After all the Sox are doing just that.....

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know right?!?!?!? I mean HOW DARE THEY only have the 4th highest payroll in the entire league....what a bunch of CHEAPOS!!!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The only thing that is in trouble, is sanity and rational debate on this forum. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'm a little amazed to see so many posters despondent because Ellsbury, Drew, and Salty were let go...there was never so much appreciation for those guys while they were here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Yeah I know right?!?!?!? I mean HOW DARE THEY only have the 4th highest payroll in the entire league....what a bunch of CHEAPOS!!!!!!!!

Yup...because they aren't spending Yankees or Dodgers money, the Red Sox are cheap and Henry is pocketing it all at the expense of the team. You would think we were the Astros or Marlins, and not right up against the luxury tax threshold, from some of these posts. Incredible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think the first thing that needs to be addressed is the defense.  Lots of questions.

Is Boeggy a SS or better off at 3B? 

Is Middlebrooks good enough at 3B or can he manage LF?

If we aren't going to get a draft pick from Drew and his price has come down, then should we give him a 1 or 2 year deal?

Are we comfortable with what we have behind the plate?  When will one of the kids (Vasquez?) be ready?

Then we can deal w/ the pitching:  Is there an arm out there we can acquire?

Then I think we may need a bopper:  Gomes and Sizemore are nice but I see Left Field as an offensive hole right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm a little amazed to see so many posters despondent because Ellsbury, Drew, and Salty were let go...there was never so much appreciation for those guys while they were here.

[/QUOTE]

Ha...isn't that the way it works though?  It's comical.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUO

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cheapos??? Management did not improve for this year to try and repeat.  if you think just because 4th highest payroll will bring another championship  better think again.Didn't blink an eye to raise ticket prices. How about rewarding your team with some real talent instead you taking the scraps off the table and calling yourself ready to make another run...Look at the 4th highest payroll and see how  things are playing out? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonIrishGuy. Show BostonIrishGuy's posts

Meh. I'm not worried at ALL about the Sox right now, they will DEFINITELY bounce back and take the AL East when it's all said and done. They are just in a temporary rut right now, but make NO MISTAKE - these guys have the HEART of a LION and are proven CHAMPIONS, just like the rest of the teams here in Title Town aka Boston. So what if the CHEATING Yankees took a few games from us early in the season? Who cares? All of you PINK HATS are already ready to jump ship, LOL GIMME A BREAK! THIS IS BOSTON! NO ONE BAKS DOWN, GO SOX BOSTON STRONG!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DomFeroce. Show DomFeroce's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment: Give it up with salty. He is a below average ML catcher. Holes in his swing. Only hits mistakes. Any smart P gets him out every time. Dumb, dumb baserunner. And besides, he left, they didnt "cut" him...he is not worth annywhere near what the Fish gave him. A 3 yr deal would get in  the way of Swihart, vasquez, etc. Signing him is old school Sox thinking. Get rid of the deeadwood. 
    [QUOTE]

Moon - Have you been watching this team?

Yes, every pitch of every game.

1. No leadoff hitter.

Vic is back now. Pedey can lead off.

2. Lost a lot at catcher with Salty gone.

A loss, but not insurmountable.

3. Sizemore and Bradley in OF.

I love both of these guys. Give them time.

They are fundamentally bad.

They are playing badly. They are one 5 game winning streak from 1st place.

No SS.

No D at SS, I agree.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I think the first thing that needs to be addressed is the defense.  Lots of questions.

If we aren't going to get a draft pick from Drew and his price has come down, then should we give him a 1 or 2 year deal?

Are we comfortable with what we have behind the plate?  When will one of the kids (Vasquez?) be ready?

Then I think we may need a bopper:  Gomes and Sizemore are nice but I see Left Field as an offensive hole right now.

Good post. Depending on what's going on with Middlebrooks in a few weeks and whether Xander's D shows improvement, I'd definitely revisit Drew if it looks like we're not going to get a draft pick anyway.

With regards to LF and the need for a big bat, I wonder if this will be the year we really make a serious run at Giancarlo Stanton. The Marlins are known to like Middlebrooks...we have a glut of pitching in the minors, particularly in Pawtucket...and a kid like Mookie Betts, who is setting Double-A on fire but currently would have nowhere to play in Boston, might make a really attractive centerpiece.

If the poor play of the first few weeks continues, there are steps that could be taken to improve. People shouldn't expect fixes that dramatic to take place in April, however. I really think this team is better than this, and I'm willing to be patient. We're still quite far from Panic Time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DomFeroce. Show DomFeroce's posts

Um, they offered Drew $14M, way more than anyone else has. He chose not to take it. Duh. He'd take it right now in a second. Not their fault.   Salty? Below avg ML C. Good riddance.   Agree they need an OF who can hit consistently. Another SP wouldnt hurt right now either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DomFeroce. Show DomFeroce's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE] Not bad. 3 Minor league Ps, Betts and WMB get it done? Dunno...worth a shot. If so, put Stanton in LF, JBJ in C, Vic in right, Grady backing them all up, put Drew at SS, move X to 3rd...maybe that shakeup works. 

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good post. Depending on what's going on with Middlebrooks in a few weeks and whether Xander's D shows improvement, I'd definitely revisit Drew if it looks like we're not going to get a draft pick anyway.

With regards to LF and the need for a big bat, I wonder if this will be the year we really make a serious run at Giancarlo Stanton. The Marlins are known to like Middlebrooks...we have a glut of pitching in the minors, particularly in Pawtucket...and a kid like Mookie Betts, who is setting Double-A on fire but currently would have nowhere to play in Boston, might make a really attractive centerpiece.

If the poor play of the first few weeks continues, there are steps that could be taken to improve. People shouldn't expect fixes that dramatic to take place in April, however. I really think this team is better than this, and I'm willing to be patient. We're still quite far from Panic Time.

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUO

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cheapos??? Management did not improve for this year to try and repeat.  if you think just because 4th highest payroll will bring another championship  better think again.Didn't blink an eye to raise ticket prices. How about rewarding your team with some real talent instead you taking the scraps off the table and calling yourself ready to make another run...Look at the 4th highest payroll and see how  things are playing out? 

[/QUOTE]

Well we are about 3.5 games out of first place, and 2 games out of the WC.  We've sustained some early season injuries, and are only 15% of the way through the season. 

Get back to me in July when we've actually played some substantial baseball and no one is freaking out and whining based on small sample sizes. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If you want the Sox to freak out and unload in free agency and blow up the cap every year....Then I suggest you go root for the Yankees or the Dodgers.  Otherwise I'll take 3 WS rings in 10 years in the blue corner, under team "relaxed and not freaking out because we aren't a bunch of drama queens" 

Anybody here watch Boxing, MMA, Strike Force, K-1 etc etc?  I boxed for 12 years and I always love watching a good fighter.  I can't tell you how many times I see a guy losing a fight in the first round and I sit back and I look at the guy on the receiving end and I see a very talent fighter who is cool, collected, not panicking, sticking to his game plan and then in the middle to later rounds he completely turns the fight around and wins...it happens ALL THE TIME. 

Often I even see it coming and predict it, because I know what I'm looking at and I know when a guy is talented and another is just "blowing his load" as we like to call it in the fighting world (blowing your load is when a guy goes all out in the fight and then has nothing left after the first round or two, unless that guy scores an early knock out 99% of the time they always lose) 

The Red Sox are a talented team, and one of the most talented in the league.  This doesn't guarantee victory, or even the playoffs.....but it is more than enough justification to NOT FREAK OUT, like so many in here are doing.  You can't just take the first 4 weeks of the season and say SEE THIS TEAM IS HORRIBLE.

What will you say if they go on a 10 game winning streak and have the best record in baseball before June???

Will they be a good team then, or will you be saying that they are awful still and cite small sample sizes even though the sample size will be much larger then than it is now....my guess is the later. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[/QUOTE]

________________________________________________________________________________________

As with all management-S*%ks-and-shoulda-made-moves rants, it really means nothing unless you can get specific.  Outside of gambling on Tanaka, I do not see any significant moves that werent made that I would have deemed worthwhile this past off-season.  Not one.  Maybe re-signing Salty, but even that was going to get sticky as early as next year.  Got any specific ideas about how Cherrington should have spent John henry's money?  I don't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Defensively they are weak at 3B and SS and average at best in LF and C

Offensively they are weak in LF and CF and average at best at 3B and Catcher

That means LF, 3B, and Catcher are hurting them.  That's 1/3 of the team.  That's not exactly loaded with talent.

Buck and Doubrant are completely unreliable.  That's 40% of your rotation.  That's not exactly loaded with talent.

The bench and pen are fine.

Now, with a few changes it would go a long way since we do have cornerstones already in place.  The loss of Ellsbury has not even remotely been made up in the line up.  That needs to be fixed.  The loss of Drew at SS has not even remotely been made up.  That needs to be fixed.  Relying on Buck to have a W/L of 10+ games was pure insanity.  That needs to be fixed.  I am not suggesting a major shake up.  I do not want to fundamentally change Ben's system but there are glaring problems that will not resolve on their own.  One does not need a sample more than 25 games to make such a determination either.  We need an OF Bat.  We need a starter.  And we need to tighten up the left side of our infield.  How many games does it take to figure that out? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The season is very long as well, and currently young.  Look at a team like NY, they lost Nova for the year and Pineda for a week so there depth will be tested.  But how about later in the year? what if Kuroda breaks down like he did last year and CC continues his downward spiral or at least is just as mediocre as last year?  That team is not going to look as good as they are now.

If that happens to the Sox, then come August I'll take Brandon Workman, Allen Webster, Henry Owens, and Matt Barnes over pitching depth any day of the week.  During the 162 game grind...depth means a lot, it might not show now...but it could really make a differnce down the stretch. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

I feel very sorry to recall that my preseason post "Sox Nation not Concerned?"  was on the money...but let us not look back, There is plenty of baseball to play, but the question is " where is the beef ?...the beef is somewhere else and must be found, how? The only possible way is to give talent and money  to get needed talent, no free lunch in the market...urgency is paramount, because the tough AL East waits for nobody... An angry, sour friend whose very life depends on Sox fortunes, suggests to bring Liverpool FO to Fenway...what a ghastly metaphor!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

________________________________________________________________________________________

As with all management-S*%ks-and-shoulda-made-moves rants, it really means nothing unless you can get specific.  Outside of gambling on Tanaka, I do not see any significant moves that werent made that I would have deemed worthwhile this past off-season.  Not one.  Maybe re-signing Salty, but even that was going to get sticky as early as next year.  Got any specific ideas about how Cherrington should have spent John henry's money?  I don't.

[/QUOTE]

John Henry's money?  Is he dipping into his own pockets to make payroll? 

But to your point there wasn't a lot that could be done.  He offered Drew the QO.  I think what Salty got from Miami was a fair deal so he could had done that.  He could had explored the trade market more.  Sell Moderately High on Buck as one example.  Other teams made trades so I know it can be done.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Just in case you all missed it, the Yankees have added Ellsbury, McCain, Beltran, Tanaka, an gotten their 1st baseman back. That'a whole new team, and they are now the best team in baseball. Like it or not! Their pitching is suspect, but our is even more so!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The misinformed, SSS police, biased, arm chair GM's, Donny Downer, Negative Nancy, cherry picking drama queens are out in full force today.

I can't wait until August, I still think the Sox have a chance to be a playoff team by then and I will personally call out and make sure that everyone eats a full healthy plate of their CROW. 

yes lets judge positional talent based on 20 games...BRILLIANT!!!!!!!! I bet you all are going to get GM's KNOCKING down your doors and BEGGING YOU to come work for them. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

The misinformed, SSS police, biased, arm chair GM's, Donny Downer, Negative Nancy, cherry picking drama queens are out in full force today.

I can't wait until August, I still think the Sox have a chance to be a playoff team by then and I will personally call out and make sure that everyone eats a full healthy plate of their CROW. 

yes lets judge positional talent based on 20 games...BRILLIANT!!!!!!!! I bet you all are going to get GM's KNOCKING down your doors and BEGGING YOU to come work for them. 

[/QUOTE]

Do you really need to watch more games to know you won't get much production from LF....Your left side of the IF is weak defensively and you need to add a more reliable/consistent starter? No one is saying Pedey won't hit or Vic can't come back strong or Lester won't be an All Star etc etc etc but we have 3 obvious holes now that won't correct themselves over the next 150 games.