Red Sox in Trouble

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Red Sox in Trouble

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cheapos??? Management did not improve for this year to try and repeat.  if you think just because 4th highest payroll will bring another championship  better think again.Didn't blink an eye to raise ticket prices. How about rewarding your team with some real talent instead you taking the scraps off the table and calling yourself ready to make another run...Look at the 4th highest payroll and see how  things are playing out? 

[/QUOTE]

________________________________________________________________________________________

As with all management-S*%ks-and-shoulda-made-moves rants, it really means nothing unless you can get specific.  Outside of gambling on Tanaka, I do not see any significant moves that werent made that I would have deemed worthwhile this past off-season.  Not one.  Maybe re-signing Salty, but even that was going to get sticky as early as next year.  Got any specific ideas about how Cherrington should have spent John henry's money?  I don't.

[/QUOTE]

John Henry's money?  Is he dipping into his own pockets to make payroll? 

But to your point there wasn't a lot that could be done.  He offered Drew the QO.  I think what Salty got from Miami was a fair deal so he could had done that.  He could had explored the trade market more.  Sell Moderately High on Buck as one example.  Other teams made trades so I know it can be done.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Nah, glad they didnt give Drew QO.  Def not worth it.  Salty did get a fair contract in Miami.  Like, i said, especially in light of AJ as the temp replacement, maybe that was a mistake.  But, they would have been in a position to HAVE to move him (not a good position) when either Vasquez or Swihart is ready to go.  Move Buch?  OK, nice in theory,  but I'll bet there werent a ton of teams willing to give up goods for a guy who wakes up with a stiff neck and goes on the DL for the rest of the year.  That trade, even in the abstract, could not get done.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just in case you all missed it, the Yankees have added Ellsbury, McCain, Beltran, Tanaka, an gotten their 1st baseman back. That'a whole new team, and they are now the best team in baseball. Like it or not! Their pitching is suspect, but our is even more so!

[/QUOTE]

Hardly.  Their offense is going to be fine but let's not get carried away.  Texiera and Roberts are below average hitters and McCann can not play a full season.  Their starters are carried by Tanaka who has an temporary advantaged because no one has faced him before.  Nova out.  Pinhead is in trouble.  Koruda is pushing 40.  CC can't hit 90.........And the pen has glaring weaknesses.  Since 5 teams make the playoffs I think they'll be playing in the post season but to call them the best or the favorites is way off base.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Cheapos??? Management did not improve for this year to try and repeat.  if you think just because 4th highest payroll will bring another championship  better think again.Didn't blink an eye to raise ticket prices. How about rewarding your team with some real talent instead you taking the scraps off the table and calling yourself ready to make another run...Look at the 4th highest payroll and see how  things are playing out? 

[/QUOTE]

________________________________________________________________________________________

As with all management-S*%ks-and-shoulda-made-moves rants, it really means nothing unless you can get specific.  Outside of gambling on Tanaka, I do not see any significant moves that werent made that I would have deemed worthwhile this past off-season.  Not one.  Maybe re-signing Salty, but even that was going to get sticky as early as next year.  Got any specific ideas about how Cherrington should have spent John henry's money?  I don't.

[/QUOTE]

But to your point there wasn't a lot that could be done.  He offered Drew the QO.  I think what Salty got from Miami was a fair deal so he could had done that.  He could had explored the trade market more.  Sell Moderately High on Buck as one example.  Other teams made trades so I know it can be done.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Nah, glad they didnt give Drew QO.  Def not worth it.  Salty did get a fair contract in Miami.  Like, i said, especially in light of AJ as the temp replacement, maybe that was a mistake.  But, they would have been in a position to HAVE to move him (not a good position) when either Vasquez or Swihart is ready to go.  Move Buch?  OK, nice in theory,  but I'll bet there werent a ton of teams willing to give up goods for a guy who wakes up with a stiff neck and goes on the DL for the rest of the year.  That trade, even in the abstract, could not get done.  

[/QUOTE]

If we could dump Crawford, Beckett, Gonzalez and Punto and get talent in return then ANYTHING is possible. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Yes We are, no we're not.  We do have problems.  Size looks confused when you put him in righ, so it becomes hard to put JBJ in center all the time. JBJ is pretty much hitting like the rest of the outyfielders, except he needs to use his speed on the bases  more to make up for lack of power.  Douby needs to get the big boy talk, or get sent down, if he has options.  Clay needs the same talk, sit down if he is injured, or splain the lack of concentration and especially, lack of veocity..Bogie could be nonchalant in the field in the minors and needs to work harder taking ground balls and be reminded that his fielding is as important as his hitting. I dont know what you do about his range, except better positioning maybe.  We probably need a real catcher and a power bat by the trade deadline if not sooner, that being in the outfield or third base unless WMB coes around.  WMB and Bogie, left side right now scary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[/QUOTE]

If we could dump Crawford, Beckett, Gonzalez and Punto and get talent in return then ANYTHING is possible. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Haha.  True enough.  Miracles do happen.  However, the key word in that miracle scenario is Gonzalez.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Haha.  True enough.  Miracles do happen.  However, the key word in that miracle scenario is Gonzalez.

[/QUOTE]

yeah but dealing Buck isn't even on the same scale. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

This team has got a LOT of problems with its performance to date. Its more than just about a few players. As of this morning the LAST PLACE Boston Red Sox rank 11th in runs scored in the AL and 11th in starting pitching ERA. The defense has been horrible as well. The ONLY bright spot is the bullpen which ranks second in ERA. These problems cannot be solved by the return of Shane Victorino or Will Middlebrooks nor a trade for a player or two. Its going to require an about face by the entire team. Fortunately, its still very early and such a turnaround can happen, but its time to start winning some series on a regular basis. Do they have the talent to turn it around? That judgement should be made based on their performance alone and not by reputation. Its entirely possible that this is no better than a .500 club.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

look, as much as people don’t want to panic and keep telling themselves that its too early to worry, we have to face the reality of this team. Many posters called it during spring training that this team would struggle as it sits right now this season. We need a big bat for LF, someone that can hit in the 3 spot ahead of papi and napoli. Counting on a 38 yr old dh and a guy who strikes out more than he gets hits as your 3/4 hitters is just plain dumb. The leadoff spot is another major problem. Since we let ellsbury go, we don’t really have a true leadoff hitter. Sizemore is barely batting over .200 and to this point has been pretty ineffective at the plate, the gomes/nava experiment failed miserably and we have now gotten to the point where brock holt has found himself leading off a few times. Victorino is back now, and he may be the guy who takes over the leadoff spot, but I think the FO underestimated the impact of losing ellsbury. Bradley could have been a leadoff option, but he has struggled yet again to hit ML pitching. Pierzynski may have been ben’s worst move of the offseason. He has not looked good at the plate and is downright terrible defensively. Vasquez should be given a shot as he could be one of the best defensive catchers in the MLB right away and is very similar to yadier molina. The pitching staff is another problem but I have hope that they will come around. Beyond lester we have a lot of uncertainty. Lackey has been hit or miss, buchholz has been awfully bad and doubront should be getting sent down at this point. Call up ranuado or owens and give them a shot. They really couldn’t do any worse than doubront. The bullpen has been good for the most part, though it would be nice to see the sox sign someone like hanrahan for insurance. especially with koji’s health and mujica’s struggles, he could be a valuable asset to the pen. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

look, as much as people don’t want to panic and keep telling themselves that its too early to worry, we have to face the reality of this team. Many posters called it during spring training that this team would struggle as it sits right now this season. We need a big bat for LF, someone that can hit in the 3 spot ahead of papi and napoli. Counting on a 38 yr old dh and a guy who strikes out more than he gets hits as your 3/4 hitters is just plain dumb. The leadoff spot is another major problem. Since we let ellsbury go, we don’t really have a true leadoff hitter. Sizemore is barely batting over .200 and to this point has been pretty ineffective at the plate, the gomes/nava experiment failed miserably and we have now gotten to the point where brock holt has found himself leading off a few times. Victorino is back now, and he may be the guy who takes over the leadoff spot, but I think the FO underestimated the impact of losing ellsbury. Bradley could have been a leadoff option, but he has struggled yet again to hit ML pitching. Pierzynski may have been ben’s worst move of the offseason. He has not looked good at the plate and is downright terrible defensively. Vasquez should be given a shot as he could be one of the best defensive catchers in the MLB right away and is very similar to yadier molina. The pitching staff is another problem but I have hope that they will come around. Beyond lester we have a lot of uncertainty. Lackey has been hit or miss, buchholz has been awfully bad and doubront should be getting sent down at this point. Call up ranuado or owens and give them a shot. They really couldn’t do any worse than doubront. The bullpen has been good for the most part, though it would be nice to see the sox sign someone like hanrahan for insurance. especially with koji’s health and mujica’s struggles, he could be a valuable asset to the pen. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree with most of your red flags and potential problems.  Not all.  But most.  And, no it is no longer just a stumble-out-of-the-gate.  It is worst case scenario at the moment, and, even if the ship is righted a bit, there are vulneable spots for sure.  But ... still not panicking.  Sometimes, things just have to play out.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

and for the record.....3.5 weeks is to small of a sample size too.  I bet you were one of the loney toons saying David Ortiz was DONE 5 years ago.  And I bet you were so 100% certain about that as well. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

What just completely brain****S me is how it's the same people who cried and moaned and cried all last year too...almost up to the world series win.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The reality is that right now the Yankees look like the better team, both on paper and on the field. It is a long season. Things can turn around . Will they turn around? Who knows?  But no Sox fan can be happy with the play of this team in the first month of the season. I hope last night's debacle serves as a wake up call. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

What just completely brain****S me is how it's the same people who cried and moaned and cried all last year too...almost up to the world series win.

Yup. Happened in 2007 too, if I recall. Not to the same extent, of course, but all summer/fall we heard about how the Sox were going to collapse...never happened.

Haters gonna hate.

It's worth recalling, too, that a huge amount of scorn was heaped on Cherington's moves/non-moves before last season as well. The signings of guys like Napoli, Victorino, Drew, etc. were widely reviled, and "Dumpster" became a familiar term overnight. The FO had gone cheap with a bunch of retreads and losers instead of going big and signing Josh Hamilton or Anibal Sanchez, or trading for Justin Upton, or whatever. Clearly we were headed for another awful season.

We know how that turned out.

Very different situation this year, of course (we're gambling more on the contributions of highly-rated but largely untested prospects than mid-tier free agents), but clearly the forum peanut gallery are not the best judges of whether the team "did enough to improve" or what this will mean for the outcome of the season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpatscelt1988. Show soxpatscelt1988's posts

It's still early.  Once everyone is healthy the Sox will show they are the class of the division.  They'll win 98-102 games.  Book it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to soxpatscelt1988's comment:

It's still early.  Once everyone is healthy the Sox will show they are the class of the division.  They'll win 98-102 games.  Book it.

Well, that's for sure

What about your Yankees, and why don't you post, as yourself?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

1/3 of the lineup is gone Ellsbury, Saltalamachia's, And Drew. they replaced Ellsbury the best lead off hitter in baseball with Jackie Bradley Junior who cannot hit the baseball, good glove though. They replaced Saltalamachia's with a catcher at the end of his career, and Drew with a shortstop who is an adventure with the glove. The rookies make the major league minimum saving money. Ellsbury was more valuable than Pedroia who still had two years remaining on his contract. This is starting to remind me of the 1997 Marlins when they won the World Series and blew up the team and BTW Henry was the owner of that team.

They still had Bucholtz who has not been the same pitcher and Doubrant who I never know which Doubrant is going to pitch. 

They did nothing in the off season but go the cheap route, they passed on McCann and Ellsbury because they were too expensive. They signed Sizemore who I think is going to break down with his history of knee issues. They just low balled Lester on a contract. I am sure the Red Sox players are not stupid and see what's going on with the free agents that left and with the negotiations going on with Lester.  If you cannot see that Larry Luchinno is running this team you are naive, Cherrington is just a figurehead and Luchinno was never going to give him the power that Theo had.

I am mad because they made a lot of money up there last year and the product they put on the field is garbage. Are they giving us discounted ticket, parking , and concessions, No. I want to see a competitive team for the prices they charge up there not this product I am currently watching.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Wort to first to worst.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

On the Sox 40 man Roster they have 19 pitchers, 5 catchers, 1 DH and 15 position players protected.

JBJ, Xander and WMB may be the only players with options on today's 25 man roster.

AJP, Mujica, Badenhop, were FA and can't be traded until June--I think. Not sure about Nap--he would not be traded anyway.

We don't have much flexibility and BenC's hands are tied because he sometimes doesn't make good choices and he keeps people that could /should be off the 40... Ex Hassan, Lavarnway, Butler---DFA them--if they get claimed try to make a trade. Better yet if they get claimed package one with Doubront and get a decent prospect. This opens a few 40 man slots for other potential prospects. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only thing that is in trouble, is sanity and rational debate on this forum. 

[/QUOTE]

and Bogey not being a SS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1/3 of the lineup is gone Ellsbury, Saltalamachia's, And Drew. they replaced Ellsbury the best lead off hitter in baseball with Jackie Bradley Junior who cannot hit the baseball, good glove though. They replaced Saltalamachia's with a catcher at the end of his career, and Drew with a shortstop who is an adventure with the glove. The rookies make the major league minimum saving money. Ellsbury was more valuable than Pedroia who still had two years remaining on his contract. This is starting to remind me of the 1997 Marlins when they won the World Series and blew up the team and BTW Henry was the owner of that team.

They still had Bucholtz who has not been the same pitcher and Doubrant who I never know which Doubrant is going to pitch. 

They did nothing in the off season but go the cheap route, they passed on McCann and Ellsbury because they were too expensive. They signed Sizemore who I think is going to break down with his history of knee issues. They just low balled Lester on a contract. I am sure the Red Sox players are not stupid and see what's going on with the free agents that left and with the negotiations going on with Lester.  If you cannot see that Larry Luchinno is running this team you are naive, Cherrington is just a figurehead and Luchinno was never going to give him the power that Theo had.

I am mad because they made a lot of money up there last year and the product they put on the field is garbage. Are they giving us discounted ticket, parking , and concessions, No. I want to see a competitive team for the prices they charge up there not this product I am currently watching.

[/QUOTE]

Hate to let facts get in the way of a good rant, but Henry wasn't the owner of the Marlins when the team was blown up in 1997. That would be Wayne Huzienga.

And Henry also wasn't the owner the last time the Marlins won the World Series and blew up the team. That would be Jeffrey Lora.

To compare this to the Marlins' example is moronic. The Marlins dumped salary regardless if they had viable replacements. The Sox simply didn't re-sign free agents because they had talented prospects they felt were ready and could be as good or maybe better in the long run. Beyond that, they offered Drew the $14million and offered Salty the qualifying offer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On the Sox 40 man Roster they have 19 pitchers, 5 catchers, 1 DH and 15 position players protected.

JBJ, Xander and WMB may be the only players with options on today's 25 man roster.

AJP, Mujica, Badenhop, were FA and can't be traded until June--I think. Not sure about Nap--he would not be traded anyway.

We don't have much flexibility and BenC's hands are tied because he sometimes doesn't make good choices and he keeps people that could /should be off the 40... Ex Hassan, Lavarnway, Butler---DFA them--if they get claimed try to make a trade. Better yet if they get claimed package one with Doubront and get a decent prospect. This opens a few 40 man slots for other potential prospects. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree having 5 catchers on the roster is too much.  I think Lavarnway should be DFA'd and Butler kept.  We still need a catcher if someone goes down and he could probably come up right now and might provide better defense.  Christian Vasquez may very well be ready by July.  Alex Hassan needs to stay, he is a lifetime hitter of .289/.398/.436 who has actually looked better at the triple AAA level putting up a .321/.431/.460 last year in Pawtucket and a high OBP the year before.  Yes he is off to a .232/.338/.362 start with 69 at bats so I'm sure the small sample size Nazis will be all over that.  But Alex Hassan can play both LF/RF/1B and might be able to replace Mike Carp right now. ( who should also be expendable).

Most other teams wouldn't send guys like JBJ and Xander down right now anyways, and every team has FA's they can't trade until later either.  I don't really think our hands are tied anymore than most other teams out there.

If we had to field a whole team of backups/depth it wouldn't be sexy, but I'd take our team over any others.  Of course for those who are intrigued by the ideal of making major trades it's easy enough to open up a spot by just trading away one of your starters, or even just DFA one guy like Lavarnway.  Ryan Roberts could likely be DFA'd as well and replaced by Mookie Betts by June (Mike McCoy is not going to block Betts) 

But these things often don't happen to July anyways; at least in terms of big names being traded for.  Now Where Ben really has a chance to play his hand is in the off season after this season..  Next year the Sox will have a payroll of 105 million assuming all options are exercised except Peavy/Breslow (which is almost a lock), and in 2016 assuming Ortiz and Buchholz options are exercised the team will have 122 million to play with.

I do assume the Sox will increase payroll up to, right below or slightly over the luxury tax ceiling.  This is something they have done every year for over a decade.  

We also know Ben C. boasts a consensus top 5 and arguably best minor league system in the league.  So assuming the Sox spend around the luxury tax limit and assuming teams like the Marlins and Astros continue to not spend the sox have tremendous payroll flexibility, perhaps the most in the league and an abundance of chips in terms of prospects.  

Over the next off season, no ones hands are more not tied, and more free than Ben Charringtons. I for one am happy that he isn't blowing his load, panicking, and playing his hand now when he knows wiser decisions can be made in the near distant future.  The Boston Red Sox are not going to reduce payroll to 67.6 million by 2016 and just pay a bunch of rookies peanuts and jack up ticket prices.  They are going to spend that money, and it may be on extending their own prospects to team friendly deals buying out some costly FA years and it will be augmented by bringing in big names too. 

Just because Ben C. didn't go out and sign Josh Hamilton and Jacoby Ellsbury, doesn't mean he isn't going to sign big contracts.  I don't know about everyone in this forum but when I make a huge financial decision I don't take it lightly, I don't jump at the first opportunity to spend my money, I don't BUY the first car I test drive.  Ben C. is waiting to play his chips at the appropriate time, now some of us might be displeased with his patience and timing but I trust Ben C and the Sox brass more than anyone in here (including myself)  

I think Ellsbury brings up a relevant point to be made.  Some people in here are saying/thinking that it has been proven that the wrong decision was made letting Ellsbury walk.  He is being paid over 21 million a year for 7 years from ages 30-36 for what he did in his 20's.  It might sting right now, but we are basing the argument of letting Ellsbury walk in favor of Bradley/Sizemore based on 83 at bats this season.  Will Ellsbury really come back to haunt us for the next 6 years???? Even if you could win the argument that Ellsbury is not injury prone he's still going to become more injury prone and lose a step in his 30's and Ben C. probably thinks he could spend 21 million a year a lot wiser than that. 

Power ages better than speed, perhaps Ben C wants to throw his money at Hanley Ramirez next year, and trade WMB + prospects (Owens/Betts+ ) Cargo or Stanton.  Now that is a lot to assume and a crazy scenario, but something in that universe might make a lot more sense for the Red Sox and make them a much better team over the long run.  Because it is how successful franchises operate, they look at the long term horizon and are often never in panic mode desperate to throw all their chips on the table.  Such men exists!!! and they often either run a bad organization or they are running down an organization.  The point is it doesn't matter what Ellsbury does, because the Red Sox think they can spend 21 million a year better; and they will spend it on the guy they like.  They can do that, they have the prospects to trade for an ACE, and they have the money to just go out and sign a Scherzer/Hanley Ramirez next year if they prefer. 

So I'd say Ben C's hands aren't tied at all now that I think about it.  Because he knows he holds a bundle of chips and he knows if he plays them right he will hit the jackpot.  If everyone in this forum sat down at one big poker game with Charrington....he'd likely win. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I’m all for oversimplifying, but the Marlins comparison is beyond insane.

The 1997 Marlins went on a one season spending spree, won it all, and then traded as many players as possible.   Only one Marlin position player was a starter in both 1997 and 1998 (old friend Edgar Renteria).  They also had virtually no returning SP and dealt away their closer.   Is this REALLY the same as letting 3 free agents sign elsewhere? (OK, technically only 2 of them have signed.)  Really? Oh no!! We lost 3 starting players!  It was a firesale!!

Reality check.   Teams lose 3 starters all the time.   Detroit lost 3 starters from last year (Fielder, Infante, Peralta) and gave away one of the most underrated SP in MLB (Doug Fister) for pretty much nothing  AND lost their starting LF to injury.  AND their only heavy spending was on  39yo Joe Nathan.   Other than that, they gave time to two younger players (Castellanos, Smyly) and stopgap solutions (Gonzalez, Romine, Davis).    It’s killing them, too.  They are only in first place.   Are the Tigers cheap?  

Fans don’t get it.  Spending heavily on aging free agents for long term not only doesn’t guarantee short term success, like it hasn’t in Philadelphia and Anaheim.   It DOES guarantee long term struggles.   How are the Phillies doing this year?  If only we had an ownership team that would duplicate THAT spend-heavy model!

One of the least-discussed matters of the Sox season this year has been the schedule.   The Sox have been playing better teams almost exclusively.  The combined record of Sox’ opponents this year is 65-45.   And they are not exactly building it up against the Sox, since that record is 20 games over .500, while the Sox are 3 games under.   Simple math tells you these teams (Baltimore, New York, Texas, Chicago, Milwaukee) are 17 games over .500 against the rest of the league.  That is pretty impressive.  We all got scared when the Sox were swept by Milwaukee, and feared this team was going nowhere, but really, the Brewers are the best team in MLB right now.  They are beating up on a lot of other teams.   It must have been that wild spending spree they went on this past off-season, which consisted of Matt Garza and Mark Reynolds.

Conversely, the Yankees have played Boston, Baltimore, Toronto, Houston, Tampa, and the Cubs, basically the AL East and two last place teams. The combined records of those teams is 56-76.   The combined records of those teams in non-Yankee games is 47-63.   Who has had the tougher road so far?  The only team with a winning record the Yankees have played to date is Baltimore, and the Sox have played them over twice as many times.

I know, I know.  The old “you have to beat the good teams.”  Sure ,at some point.  But also bear in mind, even the best teams are going to lose 40% of their games this year. And they aren’t going to have a .600 winning percentage against everyone.

In fact, the only team so far the Sox have losing records against are New York and Milwaukee.  And Milwaukee is the surprise of MLB early on, with their insanely hot start.  So that leaves all of our fear and loathing over the games against the Yankees.   Really, isn’t that what this is all about?  That we lost to the Yankees? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You can always count on a well thought out post from notin

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

this is not the same team that won and we need to honestly recognize that the collective losses of Ellsbury, Drew, and Saltalamacchia have had a greater impact than people expected.

The 2007 team was "not the same team" as the 2004 either.

Look, I'm not trying to say there no chance this team only wins 75-80 games, That could happen, but I think making rash judgments based on 1/7th of a season is not reasonable.

We still have a very good team on paper, despite the loss of Ellsbury, Drew and Salty. We gained Bogey, AJP, Sizemore, Mujica, Badenhop and Capuano. We have some kids ready to step in if needed.

There's still a very good chance this team gels and seriously competes for a ring. In my opinion, there's much less chance we don't compete this year. Just look at all the weaknesses on the other 29 teams. They will hit some rough patches. and we will hit some good stretches.

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts