Red Sox in Trouble

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Red Sox in Trouble

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1/3 of the lineup is gone Ellsbury, Saltalamachia's, And Drew. they replaced Ellsbury the best lead off hitter in baseball with Jackie Bradley Junior who cannot hit the baseball, good glove though. They replaced Saltalamachia's with a catcher at the end of his career, and Drew with a shortstop who is an adventure with the glove. The rookies make the major league minimum saving money. Ellsbury was more valuable than Pedroia who still had two years remaining on his contract. This is starting to remind me of the 1997 Marlins when they won the World Series and blew up the team and BTW Henry was the owner of that team.

They still had Bucholtz who has not been the same pitcher and Doubrant who I never know which Doubrant is going to pitch. 

They did nothing in the off season but go the cheap route, they passed on McCann and Ellsbury because they were too expensive. They signed Sizemore who I think is going to break down with his history of knee issues. They just low balled Lester on a contract. I am sure the Red Sox players are not stupid and see what's going on with the free agents that left and with the negotiations going on with Lester.  If you cannot see that Larry Luchinno is running this team you are naive, Cherrington is just a figurehead and Luchinno was never going to give him the power that Theo had.

I am mad because they made a lot of money up there last year and the product they put on the field is garbage. Are they giving us discounted ticket, parking , and concessions, No. I want to see a competitive team for the prices they charge up there not this product I am currently watching.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The player payroll budget is about the same as last year. It's not like we are going cheap.

Yeah, I'd like to have added a big piece somehow, but not at the expense of going over the limit or giving up the whole farm.

Patience.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

AND BTW TO REPEAT ...

HENRY DID NOT OWN THE MARLINS IN 1997.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Red Sox out of trouble.                                          (tonight)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

No matter what happens today, Sox need badly another starter and big rbi hitter to go along Papy and Nap, at least... Lets not fool ourselves...we r all happy tonight, great!... But consistency is the name of a winner...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No matter what happens today, Sox need badly another starter and big rbi hitter to go along Papy and Nap, at least... Lets not fool ourselves...we r all happy tonight, great!... But consistency is the name of a winner... 

[/QUOTE]

When all is said and done, I still think Middlebrooks will be that RBI bat. He has two tonight, which is a great start. You are right -- consistency is the key.

As for another starter -- not quite ready to go there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AND BTW TO REPEAT ...

HENRY DID NOT OWN THE MARLINS IN 1997.

[/QUOTE]

Wayne Huizenga applauds your memory...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Anybody that comes on here beetching about Henry being cheap, and then compounds it by suggesting he had something to do with the Marlins dismantling jobs, shows themselves to be a totally uninformed ignoramus.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

FWIW, we've been playing .600 ball over the past 10 games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

‏@PeteAbe
    AL East teams: 56-59, —19 run differential.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Javi60's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When all is said and done, I still think Middlebrooks will be that RBI bat. He has two tonight, which is a great start. You are right -- consistency is the key.

As for another starter -- not quite ready to go there.

[/QUOTE]

I agree and have been saying that I believe Middy will have a solid year both offensively and defensively... Late start, but better late than never. Kids gotta stay off the DL going forward though .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Last night's win aside..I think anyone who is expecting a repeat of 2013 is going to be disappointed. I don't expect them to be the team they were last year...the chemistry seems to have suffered a bit. With a couple of exceptions..there seems to be a "me" attitude in the clubhouse. Hopefully that changes. Now that Middlebrooks and Vic are back we will get a better idea of what the team really looks like.

I would like to see Drew back at SS but I don't think we will. The Sox seem to have committed to Xander and people are going to have to understand that rookies have growing pains and that he is going to make more than his share of errors this year. I seem to remember a lot of people calling for him to be the starter based on the very small sample size of the World Series. Those people got what they wanted so they have to be willing to accept the errors as part of his growth. Just the way it is.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last night's win aside..I think anyone who is expecting a repeat of 2013 is going to be disappointed. I don't expect them to be the team they were last year...the chemistry seems to have suffered a bit. With a couple of exceptions..there seems to be a "me" attitude in the clubhouse. Hopefully that changes. Now that Middlebrooks and Vic are back we will get a better idea of what the team really looks like.

I would like to see Drew back at SS but I don't think we will. The Sox seem to have committed to Xander and people are going to have to understand that rookies have growing pains and that he is going to make more than his share of errors this year. I seem to remember a lot of people calling for him to be the starter based on the very small sample size of the World Series. Those people got what they wanted so they have to be willing to accept the errors as part of his growth. Just the way it is.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'm not sure how you determine there is a 'me' attitude in the clubhouse.  I was in the clubhouse last week and they seemed fine.

IRT as good as last year, I agree.  Years like that are fairly uncommon.  But to be overly concerned this early is a mistake.  StL was projected to be the best in BB, and are 13-11.  PT made the playoffs and are 9-15.  LAD are worldbeaters but only 13-11.  Mil has easily the best record in BB.

Las Vegas has built an entire city around people that think short-term trends mean anything.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

miscricket, how in the wide, wide world of sports do you have any possible idea about chemistry in the clubhouse?  None of us knows.  I know you want to write this season off with your unique insights, but I feel compelled to point out that it is April and the Sox are 2.5 games out of first.  As for our two rookies at CF and SS, it might be worth noting that Bradley has the same offensive wins above replacement, .6, as one Jacoby Ellsbury, and of course his defensive wins above replacement, .3, is much better than Ellsbury's -.2.  Bogaerts defense is still a work in progress, but he already has the second best OBP of all SS's in the AL.  His problem to date is lack of power (slugging percentage), but most expect that rise significantly over time. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

miscricket, how in the wide, wide world of sports do you have any possible idea about chemistry in the clubhouse?  None of us knows.  I know you want to write this season off with your unique insights, but I feel compelled to point out that it is April and the Sox are 2.5 games out of first.  As for our two rookies at CF and SS, it might be worth noting that Bradley has the same offensive wins above replacement, .6, as one Jacoby Ellsbury, and of course his defensive wins above replacement, .3, is much better than Ellsbury's -.2.  Bogaerts defense is still a work in progress, but he already has the second best OBP of all SS's in the AL.  His problem to date is lack of power (slugging percentage), but most expect that rise significantly over time. 

Bogaerts has had zero power in his first month of every season he has played.  Portland, Salem, Greenville, GCL.

The genetics are there, the swing and swing path is there, the fast twitch muscles are there, the strength is there, the hand to eye coordination is there, the plate approach is there.  Boagerts will have power, it might not be 40 HR power, but he is easily going to be a 25 HR guy with a ton of doubles.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bogaerts has had zero power in his first month of every season he has played.  Portland, Salem, Greenville, GCL.

The genetics are there, the swing and swing path is there, the fast twitch muscles are there, the strength is there, the hand to eye coordination is there, the plate approach is there.  Boagerts will have power, it might not be 40 HR power, but he is easily going to be a 25 HR guy with a ton of doubles.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. I think Bogaerts could end this year with 15 homers -- at least 13. And going forward as his power develops, he should have at least into the high 20s.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Note: small sample sizes...

Here are our positional rankings by OPS (not counting last night's game):

C: 21st .677

1B: 11th  .859

2B: 17th .659

3B; 19th .664

SS: 8th  .761 (3rd in OBP at .388)

LF: 20th .661

CF: 18th .672 (JBJ :.354 OBP/.713 OPS would rank 12th)

RF: 29th .515

DH: 5th .809

At least on offense, our biggest concern areas are not SS & CF.

Victorino's return should greatly improve our offense and defense. Hopefully, Pedey continues to turn it around, Middy improves the 3B numbers and LF gets sorted out somehow someway. I'm not counting on our catchers to get to above average on offense, but they should be able to get to about #15.

When we look at the positional WAR numbers...

(I'm a bit surprised by the negative 0.5 on defense in CF)

C  24th +0.2

1B 7th +0.7

2B: 16th +0.3

3B: 23rd -0.1

SS: 15th +0.3 (-1.7 on D)

LF: 27th -0.4

CF: 25th +0.1

RF: 25th -0.5

Now, the UZR/150 numbers (not supposed to be used in sample sizes this small):

The Royals are +24.9: we are 19th at -3.5.

C:  23rd in Def with Fnagraphs (not UZR/150)

1B: 15th +2.3

2B: 9th  +10.9

3B: 27th -17.5 (Middy is not great, but he's better than this)

SS: 27th -24.1 (Where are all the posters who bashed me for daring to say Bogey was below average on Defense?)

LF: 16th +2.9

CF: 25th +0.1 (JBJ +55.9/ Grady -71.4)

RF: 14th +4.4 (Vic was #1 last year)

Again, please note that these numbers are very small sample sizes. I am certain some of our rankings will rise by large amounts by year end.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

One of my, if not the biggest, concerns for this team defensively!  He started off looking good, but has been absolutely aweful since the first week.  Concerning!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that Bogaerts defense would be below average off the bat.  I just had confidence that given time he could turn into an average defender.  It's not like he lacks the tools.  There are plenty of short stops who grew into average to above average short stops who started their careers off as below average short stops and at 21 years old players are still improving as well. Look at Stephen Drew!!! a perfect example as many wanted him here FOR his defense but he was by far a below average short stop his first 2-3 years in the league and then he rounded into a very good and above average defender at the position.

I think Xander improves, and if he doesn't it's not big deal because he will still win more games than he losses with his offense and the Sox have options between Marrero re-emerging as a prospect and Betts might be able to slide back over.  They also have the resources to trade and sign anyone they want as well.

I completely agree that the numbers in the outfield will greatly improve.  I think there is room for growth in Sizemore re emeriging and JBJ moving up the learning curve and Shane Victorino being back with the team.  With a little healthy I think by mid season our outfield can be average offensively and above average defensively.

All in all I think things are looking up for this team.  They are more talented than the record shows.  This doesn't mean I think they will repeat, but I in no way see this team as a losing team this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Here are our positional rankings by OPS (not counting last night's game):

C: 21st .677

1B: 11th  .859

2B: 17th .659

3B; 19th .664

SS: 8th  .761 (3rd in OBP at .388)

LF: 20th .661

CF: 18th .672 (JBJ :.354 OBP/.713 OPS would rank 12th)

RF: 29th .515

DH: 5th .809

Well, the good news is, this will not last...I think we see offensive improvement at nearly every position (some quite dramatic) in the coming weeks.

In particular, a .659 OPS at 2B is unfathomable. Pedey's bat is already starting to heat up, and when the laser show starts in earnest, that should go a long way towards transforming (to use a Bill term) the top of our lineup.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

They are two and one half games out of first place. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that Bogaerts defense would be below average off the bat.  I just had confidence that given time he could turn into an average defender.  It's not like he lacks the tools.  There are plenty of short stops who grew into average to above average short stops who started their careers off as below average short stops and at 21 years old players are still improving as well. Look at Stephen Drew!!! a perfect example as many wanted him here FOR his defense but he was by far a below average short stop his first 2-3 years in the league and then he rounded into a very good and above average defender at the position.

I think Xander improves, and if he doesn't it's not big deal because he will still win more games than he losses with his offense and the Sox have options between Marrero re-emerging as a prospect and Betts might be able to slide back over.  They also have the resources to trade and sign anyone they want as well.

I completely agree that the numbers in the outfield will greatly improve.  I think there is room for growth in Sizemore re emeriging and JBJ moving up the learning curve and Shane Victorino being back with the team.  With a little healthy I think by mid season our outfield can be average offensively and above average defensively.

All in all I think things are looking up for this team.  They are more talented than the record shows.  This doesn't mean I think they will repeat, but I in no way see this team as a losing team this year.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

In my opinion, there are too mant excellent fielders at SS in MLB right now for Bogey to ever reach average (#13-17). I do think he can and will improve, but I seriously doubt he ever makes it to #15.

That being said, a number #17 fielding SS who lead the league in SS OPS (someday maybe) is not a net negative on the team, but again, my point has always been that the 3B position is baseball has weakened over the years, and having Bogey at 3B would be a huge positional offensive gain there as well. Yes, not as much as he would dominate the SS position on offense, but enough to make up for the lost defense at the most important fielding position on the field: SS. I think Bogey can become a plus fielding 3Bman within a year. When you put it all together, I'm thinking "when is Marrero going to be ready?"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I completely agree that the numbers in the outfield will greatly improve. I think there is room for growth in Sizemore re emeriging and JBJ moving up the learning curve and Shane Victorino being back with the team. With a little healthy I think by mid season our outfield can be average offensively and above average defensively.

Sizemore's -71.5 UZR/150 in CF is also unfathomable. He's better than that, and should start showing it soon.

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He who relies on Day to Day Clay to carry his weight in the rotation deserves exactly what they get.  Period.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He who relies on Day to Day Clay to carry his weight in the rotation deserves exactly what they get.  Period.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree.  I have no idea why fans worry about individual players on a day-to-day basis.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree.  I have no idea why fans worry about individual players on a day-to-day basis.

[/QUOTE]

So we should ignore certain performances?  Isn't a season's overall performance an aggregate of each INDIVIDUAL game?  Besides, he's already had 25% of his starts for his annual quota.

Sections
Shortcuts