Red Sox Interested in Bobby Abreu for First Base

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Red Sox Interested in Bobby Abreu for First Base

Red Sox Looking At Bobby Abreu

By Mark Polishuk [December 31, 2012 at 3:07pm CST]

The Red Sox have worked out Bobby Abreu in Venezuela, including putting the veteran outfielder through drills at first base, reports Rafael Tejera (WEEI.com's Alex Speier confirms it through a Major League source).  Speier notes that the workout may have been a case of "due diligence" for both Abreu and the Sox as Abreu has no professional experience as a first baseman and may not even be interested in playing the position.

After being released by the Angels and designated for assignment by the Dodgers in 2012, however, Abreu may have little room to argue a position change if he wants another contract with a Major League team.  Abreu hit three home runs and had a slash line of .242/.350/.342 in 257 PAs for the two Los Angeles teams last season, with the .693 OPS standing as a career-low for the 17-year veteran.

Abreu, 38, is a below-average defender in the outfield and wouldn't see much time at DH in Boston with David Ortiz in the fold, so first base might be his only opportunity for even semi-regular playing time as part of a platoon.  The Red Sox still have a tentative agreement with Mike Napoli though that deal has been under renegotiation for weeks due to concerns about Napoli's hip, and the Sox have also talked to free agent Adam LaRoche about filling their hole at first base.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/red-sox-interested-in-bobby-abreu.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Red Sox Interested in Bobby Abreu for First Base

Don't be surprised if all of these older guys like Abreu have had a first baseman's mitt in their equipment bag for the last few years.   They all know that outfield play will end some day and also that DH and first are really the only two alternatives.

If he wants to play a lot, he will give first a try.  For the Sox he is likely to come pretty cheap and if he can still hit he may be worth a look on a minor league contract.  Even at 38 he is probably still as good as Gomes in the outfield.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Maybe Napoli's deal is finally finalizing and Sox are looking for someone who can hit from the left side and play 1B.  But Abreu seems unlikely since he doesn't have any experience at 1B.   There are plenty of better options left than Abreu if Sox were to go after lefty platoon for 1B.  Kotchman, Berkman, Carlos Lee, Overbay to name a few.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Abreu takes a ton of pitchrs. 4.27 PPPA last year. 4.35 PPPA in 2011.  The interest should not surprise anyone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Maybe Napoli's deal is finally finalizing and Sox are looking for someone who can hit from the left side and play 1B.  But Abreu seems unlikely since he doesn't have any experience at 1B.   There are plenty of better options left than Abreu if Sox were to go after lefty platoon for 1B.  Kotchman, Berkman, Carlos Lee, Overbay to name a few.  

i think the red sox are looking at somone who can play 1B and OF...like swisher can.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

About 6 years too late. If Theo had picked up him in 2006 along with Cory Liddle we might have had a different situation in 2006. Personally I think he is done and they are grasping at straws here. I know they are saying the Red Sox spent what they saved, however the question is did they spend it wisely ? I do not think Dempster and Victorino were great signings. Napoli hit 221 last year, and I am not sure that was a great signing either, if that ever gets finalized which I am beginning to doubt. Sounds like that is in a Catch 22 situation with a bad medical report and he is probably afraid of that getting shared by other teams as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

About 6 years too late. If Theo had picked up him in 2006 along with Cory Liddle we might have had a different situation in 2006. Personally I think he is done and they are grasping at straws here. I know they are saying the Red Sox spent what they saved, however the question is did they spend it wisely ? I do not think Dempster and Victorino were great signings. Napoli hit 221 last year, and I am not sure that was a great signing either, if that ever gets finalized which I am beginning to doubt. Sounds like that is in a Catch 22 situation with a bad medical report and he is probably afraid of that getting shared by other teams as well.

I tend to agree with you.  Abreu was a professional hitter, as they say.  But his fielding was dreadful in the last years.  He may still swing lumber fairly well and work the count.  But ... I think it may be too late.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Give Bogaerts a shot at first!

Amazing that RS would consider this....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

They will offer him 3/39.

Seems to be the going rate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pelosireturns. Show pelosireturns's posts

I wish we had signed Youk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

Give Bogaerts a shot at first!

Amazing that RS would consider this....

They haven't signed him so don't worry about it yet. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

The comedy continues.

My ancestors called em trajedies.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

By Mark Polishuk[December 31, 2012 at 3:07pm CST]

The Red Sox have worked out Bobby Abreu in Venezuela, including putting the veteran outfielder through drills at first base, reports Rafael Tejera (WEEI.com's Alex Speier confirms it through a Major League source).  Speier notes that the workout may have been a case of "due diligence" for both Abreu and the Sox as Abreu has no professional experience as a first baseman and may not even be interested in playing the position.

After being released by the Angels and designated for assignment by the Dodgers in 2012, however, Abreu may have little room to argue a position change if he wants another contract with a Major League team.  Abreu hit three home runs and had a slash line of .242/.350/.342 in 257 PAs for the two Los Angeles teams last season, with the .693 OPS standing as a career-low for the 17-year veteran.

Abreu, 38, is a below-average defender in the outfield and wouldn't see much time at DH in Boston with David Ortiz in the fold, so first base might be his only opportunity for even semi-regular playing time as part of a platoon.  The Red Sox still have a tentative agreement with Mike Napoli though that deal has been under renegotiation for weeks due to concerns about Napoli's hip, and the Sox have also talked to free agent Adam LaRoche about filling their hole at first base.

Bobby Abreu has a fear of walls he could hit though. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

The comedy continues.

lUCCIANNO'S HAS SPENT TOO MUCH TIME IN THE BEER & CHICKEN ROOM !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

By Mark Polishuk[December 31, 2012 at 3:07pm CST]

Bobby Abreu has a fear of walls he could hit though. 

At. 1B?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The Red Sox are interested in just bout anyone over 35..... I'd rather aske Doug Mientkiewicz to come back.... or Dave Stapleton for that matter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

We're scraping bottom.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

We're scraping bottom.

Rock bottom 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

really? bobby abreu a 38 yr old below average defensive outfielder who has never played first? good to know that the sox fo is aiming high after a 93 loss season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

if he is signed..he'll be on the bench..what's so bad? it's going to be a minor league contract anyway/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

if he is signed..he'll be on the bench..what's so bad? it's going to be a minor league contract anyway/

For the bench Id love to have him. As a starter, no.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Can't we sign Carlos Lee? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Gomez is better than Abreu

Sections
Shortcuts