Red Sox "Likely To Sign" Chris Capuano?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Red Sox "Likely To Sign" Chris Capuano?

Red Sox Likely To Sign Chris Capuano

By Jeff Todd [February 20 at 11:31am CST]

The Red Sox are likely to sign free agent hurler Chris Capuano, with a deal potentially announced later today or tomorrow, tweets Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. GM Ben Cherington said today that the team "may be close to bringing another pitcher to camp," Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports on Twitter.

Reports of Boston's interest in the 35-year-old southpaw arose on Tuesday, after it was announced that Ryan Dempster would sit out the season. Capuano struggled with injuries late last year, and ultimately ended up finishing his tenure with the Dodgers spending time throwing from the pen. That probably suits the Sox just fine, however, as the team is said to be interested in adding a swingman who can contribute innings in either capacity.

Capuano has worked from the rotation over much of his career, making 209 starts out of 238 total appearances. Across the last two years with Los Angeles, he logged a cumulative 3.91 ERA in 304 innings, with 7.2 K/9 against 2.3 BB/9.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/red-sox-likely-to-sign-chris-capuano.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Red Sox

WHO  ???????   was his dad a GANGSTER ????????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Official:

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2014/02/pitcher_chris_capuano_signs_wi.html

Left-hander Chris Capuano of West Springfield has signed with the Boston Red Sox,pending a physical.

Details of the contract are not yet known. Capuano, 35, has pitched his entire career in the National League.

Capuano drew interest from several teams, most of them in the American League. Boston and Seattle appeared to be the finalists.

He is expected to arrive in Fort Myers Friday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Official:

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2014/02/pitcher_chris_capuano_signs_wi.html

Left-hander Chris Capuano of West Springfield has signed with the Boston Red Sox,pending a physical.

Details of the contract are not yet known. Capuano, 35, has pitched his entire career in the National League.

Capuano drew interest from several teams, most of them in the American League. Boston and Seattle appeared to be the finalists.

[/QUOTE]

Cue the "why are we wasting money on this bum" posts...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Official:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you think they're going to hate him now,wait until he gives up a run during a game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Unless there's injury with our pitching staff, I really don't understand this move.  If everyone's healthy and Ben signed Capuano, I think a trade is coming soon maybe during the ST.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

ESPN reports it's a minor contract with $2.5M guranteed money.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Why are we wasting money on this bum? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

LOL...too true, unfortunately...

Unless there's injury with our pitching staff, I really don't understand this move.  If everyone's healthy and Ben signed Capuano, I think a trade is coming soon maybe during the ST.  

Doubt it. This is insurance, nothing more. Can never have too much.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

WHY ARE WE WASTING MONEY ON THIS BUM AND NOT GIVING THE JOB TO WORKMAN.. uuuggghhhhhhh

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

WHY ARE WE WASTING MONEY ON THIS BUM AND NOT GIVING THE JOB TO WORKMAN.. uuuggghhhhhhh

[/QUOTE]

Are you being comedic, or do you really think Capauno is somehow jumping the line for fifth starter?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

I love this move. There is real value in that swingman role that Aceves filled so well and that Capuano is going to play, and for cheap! Still leaves us room to make a deal at the deadline if we want to.

He doesn't have to be that good, just come into games and eat innings when the occasional starter has a bad day and has to leave after 3 or 4. Protects the pen.

More importantly it gives Workman the opportunity to start in Pawtucket rather than pitching out of the pen in Boston. If he can be a successful starter at all we should try and give him every opportunity to work on that, rather than shuttling him back and forth between the rotation and the pen. Great move.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

AAA rotation is more crowded than the Red Sox.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you being comedic, or do you really think Capauno is somehow jumping the line for fifth starter?  

[/QUOTE]

This does seem to ensure that Workman starts the season in Triple-A...but big deal. Cherington is covering his rear to make sure no 2006-style pitching collapse happens on his watch; if there's an injury or two, we don't have to rest all our hopes on Workman or Webster or one of the other kids being ready to shoulder the load.

Ben has been a wizard of stockpiling pitching depth this winter. I love it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

smh bill.  you know...that's racist to italians.

you amaze me with your blatant bigotry.  how are you not banned from this site????

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

btw - i like this move.  give me all the pitching. 

pitching = parades

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

btw - i like this move.  give me all the pitching. 

pitching = parades

[/QUOTE]

You got that right.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't get it either. Departure of Dempster opened a path for the ypitching prospects. This seems to block it again.

Coud it be there  is major trade in the works (Stanton?) to include one or more of pitching prospects, in which case this would make some sense?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to javaukti1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't get it either. Departure of Dempster opened a path for the ypitching prospects. This seems to block it again.

Coud it be there  is major trade in the works (Stanton?) to include one or more of pitching prospects, in which case this would make some sense?

[/QUOTE]

If the Sox signed 35 yr old Capuano, so that they could trade their young pitching for a position player, I'm going to be ticked off.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Cue the " It's minor league depth, stupid, can never have enough pitching, low risk, high reward, etc., etc. , etc. " posts. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

smh bill.  you know...that's racist to italians.

you amaze me with your blatant bigotry.  how are you not banned from this site????

[/QUOTE]Why ??  Because I asked a question ?????

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I guess Workman will start the year with the Pawtucket.  Workman-Webster-Ranaudo-Barnes-DRL.  It's not a bad move but it's an unnecessary move IMO.  Workman would have served perfectly as a swing man and we have plenty of depth.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Nothing like demoralizing your stable of young prospects who were given a glimmer of hope with the Dempster situation.  What is it with this organization and pitching?  Does a pitcher really need several years of AAA seasoning just to get a shot?  If the Sox had Felix Hernandez or Clayton Kershaw we would be talking about them maybe being ready for a September call-up this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Now, maybe I am being naive or I am not seeing the big obvious picture here, granted, but:  why are people assuming that 35 year old Chris "I haven't seen meaningful action in forever and when I did I was moderately acceptable" Capauno gets slotted in above Brandon Workman?  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Cue the " It's minor league depth, stupid, can never have enough pitching, low risk, high reward, etc., etc. , etc. " posts. 

...if certain people didn't show up to b***h every time we signed a player, no matter how minor, cheap, or peripheral to the team's success, it wouldn't need to be said.

Sections
Shortcuts