Red Sox "Likely To Sign" Chris Capuano?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Re: Red Sox

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now, maybe I am being naive or I am not seeing the big obvious pictire here, granted, but:  why are people assuming that 35 year old Chris "I haven't seen meaningful action in forver and when I did I was moderately acceptable" gets slotted in above Brandon Workman?  

[/QUOTE]

because he's not really being signed to receive meaningful action. He's being signed to pitch in blow-outs and give workman more time to develop as a starter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nothing like demoralizing your stable of young prospects who were given a glimmer of hope with the Dempster situation.  What is it with this organization and pitching?  Does a pitcher really need several years of AAA seasoning just to get a shot?  If the Sox had Felix Hernandez or Clayton Kershaw we would be talking about them maybe being ready for a September call-up this year.

[/QUOTE]

Brandon Workman is neither Felix nor Clayton, and a chance to pitch every fifth day as a starter (which he wouldn't get even if the sox hadn't signed Capuano) until he's needed is the best thing for him (and us) right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

[/QUOTE]

I don't get it either. Departure of Dempster opened a path for the ypitching prospects. This seems to block it again.

[/QUOTE]

It only opened a path to the swingman/spot start role, not as an everyday starter - which is what we should still be working to develop Worman (and others) into.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

OK I have no problem with any of these signings: Mijares,Cousins,Brown,Sizemore,Cordero and Capuano. These are all depth signings and only one guy got a major league contract, Sizemore. If there are injuries to your staff it's always nice to have replacements with MLB experience just waiting for your call down at AAA. So for all the worry warts stop! These signings are not going to effect the Sox plan to bring in the youngsters, these guys were signed to protect themselves in case the youngsters can't hack it. I wouldn't be surprised if they sign Drew, I may not personally like him as a player but that's not the point, the point is a season is 162 regular season games long and injuries do happen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Exactly.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I had a feeling the Sox would go out and make this kind of a signing.  It makes sense, the schedule is really busy the first month and pitching depth will be really important,  I think they would like Workman in that role but perhaps a more known commodity suits the needs better,  Also if they think Workman still has a chance to start they may want to him to start off in Pawtucket. 

Again it's a good depth move.....haters will rip their hair out. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Hey flapjack, no where does it say it is a minor league deal.  With that being said, we either have to keep this clown on the roster or we have just thrown away 2.5 mil.  Workman or Webster can already perform just as well as this has been.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:

WHO  ???????   was his dad a GANGSTER ????????

Bashing Italians now. Your bigotry has no bounds. Please disappear. Btw, was your dad a bigot???????????

[/QUOTE]A real KNEE SLAPPER  !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey flapjack, no where does it say it is a minor league deal.  With that being said, we either have to keep this clown on the roster or we have just thrown away 2.5 mil.  Workman or Webster can already perform just as well as this has been.

[/QUOTE]

How has either one proven they can hit the ground running and give more than what Capuano will give?

The schedule is busy in the beginnning of the season, this is sure depth and not taking any gambles.  Don't worry, Workman and Webster will make their contributions this year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AAA rotation is more crowded than the Red Sox.  

[/QUOTE]

This. You have what, 3-4 guys waiting for a spot in the bigs? Webster, RDLR, Barnes, Workman in no particular order. What's the harm in using those guys in your 5 slot in the rotation if someone gets hurt? If more than one guy goes down, it's hard for any team to deal with. I don't understand what the big deal is. Ahhhh. Wait. It's the year of control thing. Which is funny, because I don't think he's on the plan. If he performs like he did in ST last year, and doesn't get a roster spot, that's just wrong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, OK, Mr. Talent Evaluator, it's nice that you have so much confidence in a guy like Webster who posted an 8.60 ERA last year.  I'll take Cherington's opinion over yours thanks.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't believe I said it was a minor league deal.

But to clear up any confusion:

"The Boston Red Sox on Thursday agreed with left-hander Chris Capuano on a $2.25 million, one-year major league deal, according to a source.

The deal includes incentives that could push its value to $5 million, the source said.

Earlier Thursday, a different league source had mistakenly indicated it was a minor league deal with an invitation to major league spring training."

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10490483/boston-red-sox-chris-capuano-agree-deal

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

In response to AFNAV130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AAA rotation is more crowded than the Red Sox.  

[/QUOTE]

This. You have what, 3-4 guys waiting for a spot in the bigs? Webster, RDLR, Barnes, Workman in no particular order. ... Ahhhh. Wait. It's the year of control thing. ...

[/QUOTE]

Besides having a mop-up guy for the blow-outs, this is the 1st thing that made sense: the extra year of control, plus these guys really need to be starting every 5th day. You don't want Workman or Webster or Britton hanging out in the BP at the start of the season to start the season. A veteran like Dempster or Capuaono would be OK with that and know how to keep to keep themselves ready.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I'd rather see the younger pitchers given a chance, but on the bright side, it may be an indication that they have no interest in signing Stephen Drew, or if they do, little, little money.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd rather see the younger pitchers given a chance, but on the bright side, it may be an indication that they have no interest in signing Stephen Drew, or if they do, little, little money.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it would give you something to beatch about, when they fail.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Heres my 2 cents.

I will use Allen Webster to make this point.  I like him as a prospect, and I think he has tremendous upside with a good shot to still be a middle of the rotation starter and possibly better.

I also think his time may come this year at some point and he could be competing to keep a job by next year.

But we all saw what happened last year when he was brought up.  That is what happens with young players, some catch fire right away, some catch fire and cool down, and other struggle for a while before they adjust.

Just because a player struggles when he first comes up doesn't mean he won't be really really really good.  Look at the first month or two of some of the biggest superstars in the game!

BUT with that in mind we have to remember that just because we have all this pitching depth, it doesn't mean that there isn't any value in a guy who can give you quality innings out of the bullpen and be able to slot into the rotation for a start or two if you need him.

The Sox have a heavy schedule in the beginning of the season, so it makes sense to bring a guy in that will replace dempster at a fraction of the cost. 

The young guns WILL get their shot this year, I think all of us in the know can agree that the Webster's, Barnes, Ranaudo's and Workmans will all make some kind of contribution this year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Heres my 2 cents.

I will use Allen Webster to make this point.  I like him as a prospect, and I think he has tremendous upside with a good shot to still be a middle of the rotation starter and possibly better.

I also think his time may come this year at some point and he could be competing to keep a job by next year.

But we all saw what happened last year when he was brought up.  That is what happens with young players, some catch fire right away, some catch fire and cool down, and other struggle for a while before they adjust.

Just because a player struggles when he first comes up doesn't mean he won't be really really really good.  Look at the first month or two of some of the biggest superstars in the game!

BUT with that in mind we have to remember that just because we have all this pitching depth, it doesn't mean that there isn't any value in a guy who can give you quality innings out of the bullpen and be able to slot into the rotation for a start or two if you need him.

The Sox have a heavy schedule in the beginning of the season, so it makes sense to bring a guy in that will replace dempster at a fraction of the cost. 

The young guns WILL get their shot this year, I think all of us in the know can agree that the Webster's, Barnes, Ranaudo's and Workmans will all make some kind of contribution this year. 

[/QUOTE]

Just to add to this, the guy who fits the long reliever/6th starter role is a guy that in times of normalcy might not get a lot of work.  The Sox F.O. probably wants those guys on a regular schedule. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why are we wasting money on this bum? 

[/QUOTE]

WHY ARE WE WASTING MONEY ON THIS BUM AND NOT GIVING THE JOB TO WORKMAN.. uuuggghhhhhhh

[/QUOTE]

Are you being comedic, or do you really think Capauno is somehow jumping the line for fifth starter?  

[/QUOTE]

I am just being a clown bro! 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To me, this is like the Dempster signing- only $24M cheaper (actually $1M cheaper as it turned out).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To me, this is like the Dempster signing- only $24M cheaper (actually $1M cheaper as it turned out).

[/QUOTE]

???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To me, this is like the Dempster signing- only $24M cheaper (actually $11M cheaper as it turned out).

[/QUOTE]

???

[/QUOTE]

(Typo: $1M >> $11M)

Sigingn Capuano is like the Dempster signing last year: back of rotation SP and nothing more. Dempster was signed for $26.5M/2 but we lucked out and only will have to pay $13.25M/1. Capuano will cost just over $2M. 

The cost differential will be about $11M for about the same quality.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WHO  ???????   was his dad a GANGSTER ????????

[/QUOTE]

Your humor bigotry continues...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just to add to this, the guy who fits the long reliever/6th starter role is a guy that in times of normalcy might not get a lot of work.  The Sox F.O. probably wants those guys on a regular schedule. 

[/QUOTE]