Red Sox made a HUGE mistake in my mind

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Red Sox made a HUGE mistake in my mind

In Response to Re: Red Sox made a HUGE mistake in my mind:
    No worries................we still have Jenks! (LOL)
    Posted by Alibiike

I love a good Jenks dig.  But, this is clearly a dig at the FO.  And thus, the Jenks reference is not a good dig, because you can't just conveniently overlook the not tongue in cheek real-reason for letting Papelbon walk:

No worries ......................... we still have Bard.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox made a HUGE mistake in my mind : I was hoping to re-sign him for 3 years. Having said that, NO ONE in here said that we should've extended Paps after 2010.  Half the people in here wanted him gone.  Half wanted to let him walk after this year, maybe less.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Nobody seems to recognize the fact that maybe, just maybe, Papelbon wanted to move on from Boston and that was his intentions all along when he said he wanted to go to free agency and get his money.

Got to give the guy credit, he just did what he said he was going to do...period.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Forget about the past and other signings. This was a huge mistake. Made one of the weakest Bullpens in Baseball even weaker. I'll be harping all off season to make that BP stronger, the weakest link on this team. Now this.
    Posted by bobbysu

No offense bobby, but I think you were watching a different game than the rest of us...the bullpen was NOT the problem, it was the starting pitching!!

Papelbon, Bard, Aceves, Albers, & Morales were pretty good and a very overworked by September considering the starters couldn't go more than 5 innings in theor starts.

If the FO turns around and signs guys like Joe Nathan, Matt Capps and Mike Gonzalez would you and others still feel the Sox bullpen will be a weakness?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Agreed huge mistake. Joe Nathan almost had a nervous breakdown when he he to go in and pitch the ninth to protect a lead against the Yankees in the AL Divion Championship Game in 2009. He was hyperventilating and came into the game and blew the lead. Just the guy you want to save a big game against the Yankees. Please Papelbon was AL East Tested.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

If you have a player that can perform in Boston, bring him back.  As to big money and four years for a reliever, that Yankees did it a number of time with Mariano who still had an excellent year at 41.  Letting someone go, with no clear cut way to replace him, and with no Tito or Theo is not the way to prepare for 2012 and the American League East.
    Posted by RedSoxNation4Ever

I agree with you, but really don't believe that Papelbon wanted to resign with the Red Sox.  I am also very disappointed that he is leaving and don't believe he will be easy to replace. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Agreed huge mistake. Joe Nathan almost had a nervous breakdown when he he to go in and pitch the ninth to protect a lead against the Yankees in the AL Divion Championship Game in 2009. He was hyperventilating and came into the game and blew the lead. Just the guy you want to save a big game against the Yankees. Please Papelbon was AL East Tested.
    Posted by AL34

Hmmm...kind of like Jonathan Papelbon in the same 2009 ALDS against the Angels...and that was in front of his home fans in Boston too, I was there to witness it.

I think I exaggerate, as do you Al!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I personally think he was upset about what happened to Francona and that fiasco and did not even look back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

One game he blew. Did you forget all the good games he saved. Typical Red Sox fan forget the guy he is garbage now. Very few players finish their careers in this City. Tiant, Damon, Lynn, Burleson, getting tired of seeing it.

In Response to Re: Red Sox made a HUGE mistake in my mind : I agree with you, but really don't believe that Papelbon wanted to resign with the Red Sox.  I am also very disappointed that he is leaving and don't believe he will be easy to replace. 
    Posted by susan250

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

One game he blew. Did you forget all the good games he saved. Typical Red Sox fan forget the guy he is garbage now. Very few players finish their careers in this City. Tiant, Damon, Lynn, Burleson, getting tired of seeing it. In Response to Re: Red Sox made a HUGE mistake in my mind :
    Posted by AL34

I have stated many times that resigning Papelbon should have been the top priority for the Red Sox.  He was the best free agent closer available this season.   Not sure why the Red Sox didn't feel this way or maybe Papelbon really didn't want to return to the Red Sox. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

ALL WRONG!  We do not need Paps, we do need a closer but it does not have to be PAPS!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaGolfer. Show TampaGolfer's posts

Ok, I admit I was a little floored by the quickness that this happened.  That being said, I thank Paps for what he did in helping this team, but you all also have to admit that even while getting the job done for most of this season, every time he came in there was trepidation about what would happen.

Granted, this was a nice comeback year for him, but he has been adament about getting to free agency to see how much he would be able to get.  Personally, I think that is the state of sports.  Don't care about the team, the chemistry, the opportunities, but be sure to care about the money.

Instead of egos, how about thinking about how much do you really need.  How about being sure that your family can live any way you want and your kids are taken care of, but to be honest, $50 million is out of line, in my opinion. 

Do I think Bard can be the answer?  Well, yes, but I was kind of hoping the Sox may try him as a starter.  Maybe they still will if they feel comfortable signing a new closer or Jenks gets healthy.  I don't know.

I think this is a team, not a franchise, a team, that is in transition.  Not just replacing a GM and a Manager, but I think it's time to look at a plan to build the team the correct way again. I live in Tampa and have seen what the Rays have done.  I tell you it's exciting to see the young guys come in and make a splash.  This is what the Sox need to do.  They need to build around a strong core of players, people that should have a chip on their shoulder and embarrassment in their bellies.  Add some strong pieces from trades and maybe the farm system, and get back to playing the way the team played from 2003 to 2009. 

Since then, this team has been talented and boring.  Missing a couple of pieces, but more importantly, missing the heart and desire that some of the lower payroll teams have.  Spend the money, buy the few free agents that can complete the team, but don't look for one or two to save the team.

Maybe I'll miss Paps once the season ends, but for now I am excited to see how this team moves ahead.  How do they look at this team in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years.  That is what the owners have to do now.  There are some good closers on the market and hopefully one has the makeup the Sox wants.  I think Bard could be the answer, but as I said, I would love to see if he can be electric for 6 or 7 innings.  What a great find that would be! 

So, Paps is gone, I hope they keep Big Papi and make a run at a couple of ball players! Not just Free Agents for the sake of another big name player. 

I think that this team is already competitive and will be a contender.  Finding a couple of missing parts makes them a Champion.  That is the goal and that is what will keep Boston fans happy.

Just my thoughts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Well, what's done is done. Now let's see how they plug that huge hole created by Paps absence. Even assuming Bard's ready to take over now, a big if in my opinion, we still need to add a competant set-up guy to replace him. I agree with others who said they expected him to walk, but I at least expected us to make him an offer. Kinda weird the way the whole thing went down, and the way things are going with Papi. I don't like the apparant paralysis I'm seeing from Cherington thus far...which of course is due to the instructions he's receiving from the ownership group. This off season is going to be a fast moving market, with nappers left dreaming about what might have been. Here's hoping Theo didn't jump ship a year early because he knew the owners were planning to take this season off, after spending big last year. The Nation is in no mood to tolerate any "bridges to nowhere" this season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Please explain how a team where your 1-5 offensively are ALL stars, and your 1-3 starters are all excellent... please explain how this is a bridge year?

Let us know how many other teams in the MLB can boast such stars?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Geo... Glad you like the avatar.They're my favorite band.

Before everyone gets in an uproar over losing Papel-gone,remember that Tampa Bay made the play-offs with Kyle Farnsworth as their closer.
    Yes,Kyle Farnsworth!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Afternoon all, heard about the Paps deal while traveling...didn't think it would happen....will be interesting to see him in the NL...good time for Bard to take a forward leap..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joerock22. Show joerock22's posts

I'll always remember Papelbon fondly for the great years he had here, but it was time to go.  He is clearly on the downslop of his career, and the $50 milion the Sox didn't spend on him will be better used elsewhere.  And as a fan, I'm just tired of watching him.  I'm tired of having even easy 9th innings take 15 minutes because we have to wait an eternity between pitches.  And I'm tired of seeing our closer fail in the key moments, as Papelbon had developed a nasty habit of doing. 

I would like to see the Sox give Daniel Bard a shot at closer.  He pitched well enough for most of last seasn to earn it.  And he's a quick worker!  I don't want to see the Sox spend big money on overpaid free agent relief pitchers (Bobby Jenks, anyone?). 

So I don't think this is a mistake by the Sox by any means.  I do wish Pap the best though.  At least he had enough class to not go to one of our rivals.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I am sorry to see pap go, but I would not have paid him that much money.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Yo Jete! Gratz on the CC signing. I'm not 100% sure Bard's ready, think we'll make a go for one of the closers out there. We'd still need a set up guy anyway, of course. See you on the battlefield next season hombre!

Afternoon all, heard about the Paps deal while traveling...didn't think it would happen....will be interesting to see him in the NL...good time for Bard to take a forward leap..
    Posted by jete02fan

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Many good points Tampa!

Ok, I admit I was a little floored by the quickness that this happened.  That being said, I thank Paps for what he did in helping this team, but you all also have to admit that even while getting the job done for most of this season, every time he came in there was trepidation about what would happen. Granted, this was a nice comeback year for him, but he has been adament about getting to free agency to see how much he would be able to get.  Personally, I think that is the state of sports.  Don't care about the team, the chemistry, the opportunities, but be sure to care about the money. Instead of egos, how about thinking about how much do you really need.  How about being sure that your family can live any way you want and your kids are taken care of, but to be honest, $50 million is out of line, in my opinion.  Do I think Bard can be the answer?  Well, yes, but I was kind of hoping the Sox may try him as a starter.  Maybe they still will if they feel comfortable signing a new closer or Jenks gets healthy.  I don't know. I think this is a team, not a franchise, a team, that is in transition.  Not just replacing a GM and a Manager, but I think it's time to look at a plan to build the team the correct way again. I live in Tampa and have seen what the Rays have done.  I tell you it's exciting to see the young guys come in and make a splash.  This is what the Sox need to do.  They need to build around a strong core of players, people that should have a chip on their shoulder and embarrassment in their bellies.  Add some strong pieces from trades and maybe the farm system, and get back to playing the way the team played from 2003 to 2009.  Since then, this team has been talented and boring.  Missing a couple of pieces, but more importantly, missing the heart and desire that some of the lower payroll teams have.  Spend the money, buy the few free agents that can complete the team, but don't look for one or two to save the team. Maybe I'll miss Paps once the season ends, but for now I am excited to see how this team moves ahead.  How do they look at this team in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years.  That is what the owners have to do now.  There are some good closers on the market and hopefully one has the makeup the Sox wants.  I think Bard could be the answer, but as I said, I would love to see if he can be electric for 6 or 7 innings.  What a great find that would be!  So, Paps is gone, I hope they keep Big Papi and make a run at a couple of ball players! Not just Free Agents for the sake of another big name player.  I think that this team is already competitive and will be a contender.  Finding a couple of missing parts makes them a Champion.  That is the goal and that is what will keep Boston fans happy. Just my thoughts.
    Posted by TampaGolfer

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

If Paps took the first offer did he really want to stay?  Usually the guy comes back and let sthe Sox know he has an offer on the table and can they do better.  I am not sure if that happened I think Paps was waiting for this and wanted the big pay day and move.  You can't blame him its a business.  Now the Sox new closer is Bard.  No need to sign any garbage free agent closer and get hosed for more Lackey money.  Go with Bard done deal move Aceves to the 8th roll and fill in the middle guys with who ever.

Sections
Shortcuts