Red Sox made right call in letting Victor Martinez go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Red Sox made right call in letting Victor Martinez go

This is being discussed on Moon's REALISTIC thread.
    The question is how many games the FO wanted him to catch. By signing Papi, it relegated VMART to FT catcher, and that was not where they were gonna overspend. If VMART had better numbers with the pitching staff, it would have changed the scenario. By how much is anybody's guess.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Have you noticed Babe-Ted and Burrito have been posting almost exclusively fawning all over softy threads of late.

It's like someone killed softy, but he came back to life as a 3-headed monster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Tell ya the truth, Moon, the whole Softy thing is becoming a bore.
    I'd rather draw attention to this current winning streak. Some exciting moments.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good point. I have pretty much avoided softy on the "realistic thread", but perhaps I will across the board.

The negativity is getting stale.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox made right call in letting Victor Martinez go:
    Have you not seen the state of the current catching situation for the Red Sox? By letting Martinez walk did not make the Red Sox better.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

That move was not about 2011.  It was about 2013 and 2014.  Martinez might still be a good player now, but he wasn't going to at the end of his contract. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox made right call in letting Victor Martinez go:
    In Response to Re: Red Sox made right call in letting Victor Martinez go : That move was not about 2011.  It was about 2013 and 2014.  Martinez might still be a good player now, but he wasn't going to at the end of his contract. 
    Posted by redsoxfan791

No doubt it was a decision of papi now and short term, versus Vmart at C/DH short term, and DH only long term.  I get it.  He would have been overpriced at the end of the deal IF...IF he could no longer catch.  The pairing of softy, tek, and salty, or some combination of three catchers would have saved Vmarts wear and tear and let him keep the ability to catch longer.  He also would have been Agon insurance. 

For the record, I believe it was a decision of Vmart or Papi, and they went with the short term risk versus the long term one.  If they had grabbed martin we wouldn't be having this discussion at all....

Sections
Shortcuts