Red Sox Major FA Off Season Report Card

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Red Sox Major FA Off Season Report Card

In response to benandjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ellsbury - Yankees for 153 Million (~22 million per year)  Red Sox get draft pick   A+

(Replacement Move: Promoting Bradley)

Napoli - Red Sox for 32 Million (16 million per year) Red Sox pass on draft pick  D

(Replacement Options: Corey Hart (6 million 1 year)

Salty - Marlins for 21 Million (7 million per year)   B-

(Replacement Move: AJ for 1 year and 8.25 million)

Drew - ? (If Red Sox don't sign Drew they will get a draft pick)     Incomplete

So far, the Red Sox have netted 1 draft pick. It could be 2 draft picks if they don't sign Drew. 

I think 3 draft picks and AJ and Hart were the way to go, but overall grade is B-

If they resign Drew, that would be an F move and pull the final grade to a flat C

Give your grades for each move and overall grade.

[/QUOTE]

I for incomplete.  The offseason isn't over until spring.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• The Red Sox want Stephen Drew back and hope to still re-sign him, manager John Farrell said during a radio appearance on WEEI's Hot Stove Show (partial transcript from WEEI.com's Alex Speier).  Boston's recent trade for Jonathan Herrera adds needed experience to their young left side of the infield, but Farrell said that there's mutual interest between Drew and the Sox in a reunion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Hi Softy.  hope Bill doesnt come back on and out you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

If you want to get a full view of the offseason report card, you must include these little solid moves as well into your calculation.  This season was about tweaking the team and not rebuilding it and I think the Sox did a lot of small quiet moves that go under the radar.  I know you said major moves, but I do not expect any more major moves... so I'm bringing up these transactions.

Traded Luis Ortega to Milwaukee for Burke Badenhop

Mujica pick up

Jeremy Hazelbaker for Alex Castellanos trade

Signed international free agent Dalier Hinojosa

Signed international free agent Fabian Nieva.

Lost Jose De La Torre off waivers

Acquired Jimmy Rider from Pittsburgh for future considerations

Selected Jonathan Roof in rule 5 draft

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you want to get a full view of the offseason report card, you must include these little solid moves as well into your calculation.  This season was about tweaking the team and not rebuilding it and I think the Sox did a lot of small quiet moves that go under the radar.  I know you said major moves, but I do not expect any more major moves... so I'm bringing up these transactions.

Mujica pick up

[/QUOTE]

Right, and Mujica should not be overlooked.

2013:  37 saves out of 41 chances  2.78 / 1.005 WHIP

2012: 3.03 / 1.041

2011: 2.96 / 1.026

2010: 3.62 / 0.933

MLB leaders in WHIP since 2010 (213 qualifying RP'ers):

1) Uehara 0.70

11) Mujica 1.00

31) Papelbon 1.10

34) Tazawa 1.11

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Mujica pick up

1) Uehara 0.70

11) Mujica 1.00

31) Papelbon 1.10

34) Tazawa 1.11

The Sox continue to add arms everywhere but are still reluctant to make a trade for a future centerpiece which we can certainly do without hurting our cause.  Outside of pitching we are losing/moving average prospects for more average prospects.

Again, as of today anyway we should have a decent season but will be lucky to make the PS unless Bogy, JBJ and especially Middy pull off some sort of miracle and our top three players stay off the DL.  We no longer have reliable every day depth and may not for another year or two if this is our plan.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox continue to add arms everywhere but are still reluctant to make a trade for a future centerpiece which we can certainly do without hurting our cause.  Outside of pitching we are losing/moving average prospects for more average prospects.

Again, as of today anyway we should have a decent season but will be lucky to make the PS unless Bogy, JBJ and especially Middy pull off some sort of miracle and our top three players stay off the DL.  We no longer have reliable every day depth and may not for another year or two if this is our plan.

If Buch and Peavy stay healthy, it would be like adding a full quality free agent SP for 2014.

Adding Mujica, Badenhop and possibly full seasons from Miller, Workman, and Britton and Uehara as our closer wire to wire should not be overlooked.

Now, to the offense and defense:

Offense: Maybe not as bad as it looks

Minus Ellsbury, Salty and Drew (?).

Plus Bradley, AJ P, and Bogey as well as a full season by Middy and a possible bounce back season from Pedey.

Defense: Plus

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mujica pick up

1) Uehara 0.70

11) Mujica 1.00

31) Papelbon 1.10

34) Tazawa 1.11

[/QUOTE]

Who makes it in over them? Again with the wild claims and little analysis.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Mujica pick up

A couple more to add...

DFA'd Castellanos on 12/12

Signed Shunsuke Watanabe to a minor league deal. Released Chris Carpenter to the Yakult Swallows in exchange for cash

Signed Dayan Diaz and Carlos Rivero to minor league deals

Signed Brandon Snyder, Miguel Celestino, and John Ely to minor league deals

Signed Tommy Layne, Mike McCoy, and Mario Martinez to minor league deals

Nothing earth shattering, but Lots of good depth moves which proved to be extermely important last year.

So far, the Sox have done a good job filling the holes. They will obviously give some young guys a chance to play. Im not for signing Drew. With Xander, Bogey, Herrera and Holt all ready to go we should be fine. Cecchini should be ready sometime during the sesson as well. Snyder was resigned. We have plenty of left side depth to not need the services of Drew again.

Cant grade the offseason yet because there should still be more moves through FEb.

I can still see us trading one of our starters if the price is right.

INCOMPLETE

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Corey Hart's contract is worth up to $11mill.   $6mill is what he gets with minimal playing time.

He still worth more than Napoli?  Especially if he struggles after not facing MLB pitching for a full year?

Or is the expectation yhat he would take less money to play in Boston? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Mujica pick up

1) Uehara 0.70

11) Mujica 1.00

31) Papelbon 1.10

34) Tazawa 1.11

moon,

Any number of teams in the East or West if they remain healthy.  Last season I predicted at least 88 wins and a playoff spot if we stayed healthy because our combination of every day talent and platoon depth was solid.  You predicted we would be a game or two over 500.  I'm basing my 2014 based on the same premise.  The difference being is this time I don't feel we have enough talent as we stand today. 

This could always change before the start of the season.  Bogy and company won't play as solid defense as Drew in his first season.  Middy is Middy and JBJ won't come close in my opinion to match Jacoby's presence on the team offensively.  Even if we stay healthy it will be tough, any injuries to our best three and I see little chance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mujica pick up

1) Uehara 0.70

11) Mujica 1.00

31) Papelbon 1.10

34) Tazawa 1.11

[/QUOTE]

moon,

Any number of teams in the East or West if they remain healthy.  Last season I predicted at least 88 wins and a playoff spot if we stayed healthy because our combination of every day talent and platoon depth was solid.  You predicted we would be a game or two over 500.  I'm basing my 2014 based on the same premise.  The difference being is this time I don't feel we have enough talent as we stand today. 

This could always change before the start of the season.  Bogy and company won't play as solid defense as Drew in his first season.  Middy is Middy and JBJ won't come close in my opinion to match Jacoby's presence on the team offensively.

[/QUOTE]

what exactly does "Middy is Middy" mean?

I ask this because we have seen a kid who can be a 280BA 320OBP 500SLG with 30HR power and weve also seen a young player who went through some struggles that kids can go through as well as growing some, mature wise. All while suffering 2 significant injuries (broken wrist, separated ribs) which affected his performance both offensively and defensively.

I think he will be a solid contributer this coming year.

270BA  315OBP 490SLG with 25HR and about 150K's and good D at 3b.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mujica pick up

1) Uehara 0.70

11) Mujica 1.00

31) Papelbon 1.10

34) Tazawa 1.11

[/QUOTE]

moon,

This could always change before the start of the season.  Bogy and company won't play as solid defense as Drew in his first season.  Middy is Middy and JBJ won't come close in my opinion to match Jacoby's presence on the team offensively.  Even if we stay healthy it will be tough, any injuries to our best three and I see little chance.

[/QUOTE]

I asked you the question not Moon. I thought 86-90 wins was about right. This year the pitching seems better and has much more depth. Bogaerts if he lives up to promise will be a better hitter than Drew. The only big loss is Ellsbury. So they are only worse in one position that the team has stated they would like to improve. The Yankees line up still is not great. They have a bunch of lead off hitters and 5 guys no real 2-4 types anymore. The pitching for the Yankees is horrible. They have Sabbitha who wasn't much better than Dempster last year and Kuroda. They haven't replaced Robertson, if you want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can replace Mo. Also every other team in the East is going to be worse. Tampa will take a big hit when they trade Price. It is still the Red Sox division.

please tell me what is your definition of depth and how Red Sox don't have a plan to deal with it for two years?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon,

Injuries could certainly hurt, but this year's outlook has chanced from last year in a number of ways. Despite the loss of Ellsbury and Salty and probably Drew, there are some more optimistic areas:

1) Lackey's 2014 outlook is much better than it was last winter.

2) We have Peavy now.

3) We have Mujica & Badenhop.

4) We know more about Uehara as a closer.

5) Victorino's outlook is better now than last winter, even at an year older.

6) Napoli's hip is a safer bet now.

7) Nava looks better.

8) AJ Pierzynski should help our staff and defense.

9) Middy and Bogey have a high ceiling.

10) Confidence in out team, manager and GM is much higher.

11) I have more faith in Doubront this winter.

Certainly, it will not be easy to replace Ellsbury, but jacoby actually did worse than I expected in 2013. I thought we had no chance if Lester or Buch got hurt or undrachieved, but we still won despite Buch's injury. I expect bigger seasons from Pdey, Middy and Napoli.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

moon,

Injuries could certainly hurt, but this year's outlook has chanced from last year in a number of ways. Despite the loss of Ellsbury and Salty and probably Drew, there are some more optimistic areas:

2) We have Peavy now.

7) Nava looks better.

Certainly, it will not be easy to replace Ellsbury, but jacoby actually did worse than I expected in 2013. I thought we had no chance if Lester or Buch got hurt or undrachieved, but we still won despite Buch's injury. I expect bigger seasons from Pdey, Middy and Napoli.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you except for item #6: Napoli's hip is no safer now than before. He has a progressive disease that could manifest itself at any time. Only rarely do people with avascular necrosis of the hip NOT develop arthritis. Many require hip replacements. The course of the disease is unpredictable. I would have liked to get Napoli for one year with an option year-or two years with lots of protection for the club in the event his hip flares up during the life of the contract.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

moon,

2) We have Peavy now.

7) Nava looks better.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you except for item #6: Napoli's hip is no safer now than before. He has a progressive disease that could manifest itself at any time. Only rarely do people with avascular necrosis of the hip NOT develop arthritis. Many require hip replacements. The course of the disease is unpredictable. I would have liked to get Napoli for one year with an option year-or two years with lots of protection for the club in the event his hip flares up during the life of the contract.

[/QUOTE]

Brett Favre had the same hip condition early in his career as Napoli and went on to a reliable and hall of fame career.

I would like to bring up that Victorino just had thumb surgery and is questionable to start the season.  I would say my expectations of him are lower this year... at least for power numbers as we saw with Pedroia last year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I did not mean his hip is better, just that my view of his condition and the effect on his performance is better now than it was last winter.

I think catching made his condition worse. He looked fluid at 1B this year. The medication appears to have stopped the degeneration. I feel very confident about Napoli and 2014.

He has also had a 3 year cycle trned of having a big OPS year every 3 years. 2014 is that year!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mujica pick up

1) Uehara 0.70

11) Mujica 1.00

31) Papelbon 1.10

34) Tazawa 1.11

moon,

This could always change before the start of the season.  Bogy and company won't play as solid defense as Drew in his first season.  Middy is Middy and JBJ won't come close in my opinion to match Jacoby's presence on the team offensively.

[/QUOTE]

I ask this because we have seen a kid who can be a 280BA 320OBP 500SLG with 30HR power and weve also seen a young player who went through some struggles that kids can go through as well as growing some, mature wise. All while suffering 2 significant injuries (broken wrist, separated ribs) which affected his performance both offensively and defensively.

[/QUOTE]

What I meant was Middy has no patience.  His rookie season was a decent one but (like Jacoby's 30 HR year) this is the major league and pitchers adjust.  Middy has the talent if he can lay off balls that almost every pitcher knows he will chase out of the zone.  It's no longer about his rookie season but how much time he continues to spend on the DL and plate discipline.  Middy needs to bat 265/275 while raising his OBP to around 325/335 and hit 25/30HR's in my opinion to help our cause.  The only thing that makes a player like Nap's 25 HR's valuable offensively is his OBP.  I said this about Salty for three years but even though he finally raised his OBP, his defense and salary still made him expendable. 

I would love to see all three kids succeed but at the moment we lost defense at SS, our lead off hitter and offense in CF which in my opinion will set the team back.  We also stayed healthy for the most part last season which will be even more important this season.  I don't feel we will be in the championship hunt this season without further upgrades but could have a promising future in a year or two.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mujica pick up

1) Uehara 0.70

11) Mujica 1.00

31) Papelbon 1.10

34) Tazawa 1.11

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

moon,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What I meant was Middy has no patience.  His rookie season was a decent one but (like Jacoby's 30 HR year) this is the major league and pitchers adjust.  Middy has the talent if he can lay off balls that almost every pitcher knows he will chase out of the zone.  It's no longer about his rookie season but how much time he continues to spend on the DL and plate discipline.  Middy needs to bat 265/275 while raising his OBP to around 325/335 and hit 25/30HR's in my opinion to help our cause.  The only thing that makes a player like Nap's 25 HR's valuable offensively is his OBP.  I said this about Salty for three years but even though he finally raised his OBP his defense and salary made him expendable. 

I would love to see all three kids succeed but at the moment we lost defense at SS and offense in CF which in my opinion will set the team back.  We also stayed healthy for the most part last season which will be even more important this season.  Not in the championship hunt this season without further upgrades but could have a promising future in a year or two.

[/QUOTE]

I agree Middy has to not chase so many balls and take the outside ones the other way. he was doing that more when he returned. I think If Middy can have a 320OBP, that will be fine as long as he has the 25-30HR. Not every guy is going to have a 340+ OBP. I dont mind a couple free swingers in the lineup. It keeps pitchers on their toes and the raw power is great to have.

Middy showed some maturity and a willingness to learn more and get better as we saw with his work with Mike Lowell. He takes nothing for granted now and I think we should see some improvements. Remember, he hasnt has a full season in MLB yet, mostly because of injuries. I still have faith that he will be at 3b in Boston for a few more years and give us good production.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mujica pick up

1) Uehara 0.70

11) Mujica 1.00

31) Papelbon 1.10

34) Tazawa 1.11

moon,

[/QUOTE]

What I meant was Middy has no patience.  His rookie season was a decent one but (like Jacoby's 30 HR year) this is the major league and pitchers adjust.  Middy has the talent if he can lay off balls that almost every pitcher knows he will chase out of the zone.  It's no longer about his rookie season but how much time he continues to spend on the DL and plate discipline.  Middy needs to bat 265/275 while raising his OBP to around 325/335 and hit 25/30HR's in my opinion to help our cause.  The only thing that makes a player like Nap's 25 HR's valuable offensively is his OBP.  I said this about Salty for three years but even though he finally raised his OBP his defense and salary made him expendable. 

I would love to see all three kids succeed but at the moment we lost defense at SS and offense in CF which in my opinion will set the team back.  We also stayed healthy for the most part last season which will be even more important this season.  Not in the championship hunt this season without further upgrades but could have a promising future in a year or two.

[/QUOTE]

I agree Middy has to not chase so many balls and take the outside ones the other way. he was doing that more when he returned. I think If Middy can have a 320OBP, that will be fine as long as he has the 25-30HR. Not every guy is going to have a 340+ OBP. I dont mind a couple free swingers in the lineup. It keeps pitchers on their toes and the raw power is great to have.

Middy showed some maturity and a willingness to learn more and get better as we saw with his work with Mike Lowell. He takes nothing for granted now and I think we should see some improvements. Remember, he hasnt has a full season in MLB yet, mostly because of injuries. I still have faith that he will be at 3b in Boston for a few more years and give us good production.

[/QUOTE]

I agree moon but Middy still needs to show us improved plate discipline and the fact he can remain in the lineup.  I also don't like the way he plays off the 3B line, it gave opponents a lot of extra hits last season.  Hopefully Bogy (if he does start) can show a bit more range that will allow Middy to play closer to the bag.  Drew played outstanding (almost suprising defense) and that will be missed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mujica pick up

1) Uehara 0.70

11) Mujica 1.00

31) Papelbon 1.10

34) Tazawa 1.11

[/QUOTE]

moon,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What I meant was Middy has no patience.  His rookie season was a decent one but (like Jacoby's 30 HR year) this is the major league and pitchers adjust.  Middy has the talent if he can lay off balls that almost every pitcher knows he will chase out of the zone.  It's no longer about his rookie season but how much time he continues to spend on the DL and plate discipline.  Middy needs to bat 265/275 while raising his OBP to around 325/335 and hit 25/30HR's in my opinion to help our cause.  The only thing that makes a player like Nap's 25 HR's valuable offensively is his OBP.  I said this about Salty for three years but even though he finally raised his OBP, his defense and salary still made him expendable. 

I would love to see all three kids succeed but at the moment we lost defense at SS, our lead off hitter and offense in CF which in my opinion will set the team back.  We also stayed healthy for the most part last season which will be even more important this season.  I don't feel we will be in the championship hunt this season without further upgrades but could have a promising future in a year or two.

[/QUOTE]

This is annoying part you keeps saying in a couple years. What moves do they need to make other than find some way to get production out of CF? Other than the Yankees what moves did the rest of the division make? What is going to be the starting rotation for the Yankees? Does trading Price make the Rays a better team?

The Red Sox are still clearly the best team in the AL East right now if you look at it rationally. I believe since you can't further expand upon your thoughts you are not able or willing to do so.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

The Red Sox are only clearly the best team in AL East to some fans.  Thats why we have a board to debate on and in my opinion it's not just offense in CF but also defense at SS and losing a regular lead off hitter that will hurt.  I personally don't see us losing good starters in favor of rookies helping us right away.

Thats why I say a year or two if this is the mindset of our FO.  There will only be an opening or two (at most) for a SP to brake into our rotation.  We have a huge surplus of pitchers which is great but still only a couple reliable every day bats.  If the Rays can do it and find a kid like Myers so can we period.

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mujica pick up

1) Uehara 0.70

11) Mujica 1.00

31) Papelbon 1.10

34) Tazawa 1.11

moon,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is annoying part you keeps saying in a couple years. What moves do they need to make other than find some way to get production out of CF? Other than the Yankees what moves did the rest of the division make? What is going to be the starting rotation for the Yankees? Does trading Price make the Rays a better team?

The Red Sox are still clearly the best team in the AL East right now if you look at it rationally. I believe since you can't further expand upon your thoughts you are not able or willing to do so.

[/QUOTE]

This is why we have a board to debate these issues.  Some of you predicted we wouldn't even make the playoffs last season yet some of those same fans think we will be the best team in the East next season just because we won the WS.  Not how it works, you don't lose your leadoff hitter, weaken the offense in CF or defense at SS and predict the same or better results.  It's called a learning curve which our kids will have next season.

in which a kid has an opportunity to break into the rotation.  This is where the Rays can look past losing Shields and Price but still end up with Myers and others to compete every year.  Yes I do feel the Rays will make another smart trade for Price at some point and not lose a beat.   

We have the fan base, prospects, SP's and cash but still have yet to land a Stanton or prospect like Myers in a much more needed position.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Health will be a big key, as with every team, but I really think a full season of Buchholz and Peavy is like signing a top FA starting pitcher.

I also think we could see a plus on offense at SS and defense in CF.

"Middy is Middy" but it's hard to imagine worse 3B numbers than our team had in 2013:

.242/.288/.395/.683

I'm looking for Pedey to have a career or near career season at age 30. Just having a career average season would add 35 points to his 2013 number and possibly and partially help offset the loss on offense in CF.

Gomes way underperformed vs LHPs in 2013. He was one of MLB's best hitters vs LHPs for the previous 3-4 years. A true L/R platoon in LF could give us a significant improvement over 2013's .790 LF OPS.

Yes, there are a lot of could haves and might haves here, and I realize a lot went right this year, but I really think if we have the same amount of injuries and unexpected declines as Detroit, NYY, TBR, Toronto, Texas, and other teams, we have as good a chance as any to make the WS in 2014. I'm not sure I'd call us the favorite, but we should be highly competitive.

This is still a top 5 line-up:

1) Victorino

2) Pedroia

3) Ortiz

4) Napoli

5) Nava/Gomes

6) Middlebrooks

7) Bogaerts

8) Pierzynski

9) Bradley

Couple that with perhaps the best bullpen in MLB and a starting rotation that could replace this for that:

2013;  44 GS'd

29 Dempster 4.64/ 1.453

7   Webster 8.59/ 1.807

6   Aceves   4.45/ 1.780

2  Wright/Morales  7.50/ 1.350

Replace with...

+ 14 GS Buch (from 16 GS'd to 30 GS'd?)

+ 20 GS Peavy (from 10 to 30?)

+10  GS from Workman or others

There's a huge potential here for massive gains.

Yes, if, if, if.... but that's the same with the Yanks, Tigers, ...

Sections
Shortcuts