Red Sox make contact with Bengie Molina

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Red Sox make contact with Bengie Molina

from MLBTraderumors.com:

The Red Sox have made contact with Bengie Molina, but aren't ready to move on him yet, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. With Jason Varitek and Jarrod Saltalamacchia hitting a combined .179/.246/.241 in 123 plate appearances this season, Molina could grow more appealing to the Sox in the near future.

We heard last month that Boston was eyeing catching help and that Molina was on the team's list of possibilities. Although Ivan Rodriguez and Chris Snyder were also on that list, Rosenthal says the Sox are "cool" on Pudge, and the Pirates are more inclined to move Ryan Doumit than Snyder.

Jeff Mathis, who received high praise from Varitek, could be available as well. However, as Rosenthal points out, while Mathis is a strong defensive backstop, his .199/.262/.311 career slash line wouldn't help the Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pelosireturns. Show pelosireturns's posts

Re: Red Sox make contact with Bengie Molina

Bengie Molina has had at least 416 PA for each of the past six seasons.  While his .249 BA, .326 SLG, and .623 OPS in 2010 were significantly lower than his BA, OBP, and OPS numbers in any of the previous five seasons, I suspect that Molina would not be interested in signing to be a back-up.    While I imagine that it will take Molina, a week or two, and maybe more, to be ready to catch in the majors, my guess is that Red Sox are not willing yet go give up on 26-year old, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who, if he can hit as well as he did in any of the years, 2007-2009, would give the Red Sox as much, if not more offense that the 36-year old Molina (who turns 37 in July) is likely to give them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

1.  The fact that they have made contact to him should be concerning for Salty, even if they aren't ready to make a move.

2.  I would stick with Salty and would play him more.  This has really turned into a straight platoon.  He's come around with the pitching staff and he's starting to hit a little better.  Let him play and prove himself.  Yes he's been disappointing, but it's hard to say he hasn't shown some improvements since the beginning of April.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox make contact with Bengie Molina:
    1.  The fact that they have made contact to him should be concerning for Salty, even if they aren't ready to make a move. 2.  I would stick with Salty and would play him more.  This has really turned into a straight platoon.  He's come around with the pitching staff and he's starting to hit a little better.  Let him play and prove himself.  Yes he's been disappointing, but it's hard to say he hasn't shown some improvements since the beginning of April.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

I pretty much agree with you on both points.Like you said,he's been showing improvement handling the catching duties and deserves more time to continue to get better.Often it'll take some time for a young catcher to gain a staff of veteran pitchers trust. 
      The hitting will hopefully come around soon too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'd go with a 3 for Salty, 2 for Tek split right now. As SPC pointed out, Salty has started to hit a bit better -- .250 BA in his last 12 games (40 AB) with 4 doubles and 5 RBIs. Not great, but if he can continue at that clip, I think the Sox will be satisfied.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tek's hitting .250 the last 2 weeks as well (5 games/18 PAs not counting today).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox make contact with Bengie Molina:
    Tek's hitting .250 the last 2 weeks as well (5 games/18 PAs not counting today).
    Posted by moonslav59

Good point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Sox should think about signing Elston Howard

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about Fisk?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I saw Rich Gedman oiling his glove the other day...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Can't see it, too early. Give these guys until June. After watching Slaty for a month now I can see how he's worth the risk. His basic catching make up is there, but his tools seem out of alignment. I hope he makes it. Give the guy another month. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Lets give him another year at least!  I mean he isn't 45 yet so he obviously should have a lot of two week stretches of .250 left in him - along with longer stretches of .000 but whatever.

Sections
Shortcuts