1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Red Sox Minor League Observations And Updates

Webster will be in the rotation by Memorial Day  !!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

De La Rosa:

The odds are in favor of De La Rosa being a reliever more so than a starter, even though the Sox want to stretch him out over the course of the season.

I think he should stay starting until he proves it's not his thing.

Henry Owens:

He has that potential to be a top of the rotation pitcher. There's a good argument to be had over whether Owens or Webster has the higher ceiling -- noting of course that it's easier to have a higher ceiling when you've only pitched in Low-A, as is the case with Owens. He's got dominant strikeout stuff with his fastball and changeup, and if he can harness his control, he can be really good. He's still only 20, though, and a few years away.

Gotta love this kid's outlook.

Steven Wright:

He had a rough spring (8.59 ERA in 7 1/3 innings) and has tempered expectations a little bit. He doesn't look like the first Triple-A starter in line like he did before spring training started. Then again, if he goes to Pawtucket and strings together three or four strong starts, he might be right back in the picture again. The knuckleball is a mysterious thing.

7.1 innings should never change anyone's view even one iota.

Anthony Ranaudo:

It's kind of amazing how far off the radar Ranaudo fell after a season in which he'd been hurt. He went 13 up, 13 down and pitched in the upper 90s with three pitches in his last outing of the spring yesterday. That's nothing to scoff at.

He's the same guy he was 2 years ago, when everyone was drooling over him.

Lavarnway:

We use the term make-or-break year a lot with players, but this does look like a make-or-break year for Lavarnway. You can explain away his offensive struggles last year by saying he was getting used to catching full-time for the first time as a pro. He won't have that excuse this year. If he gets back to the offensive production he showed in 2011, now you have a catcher you can feel good about starting in 2014.

Maybe pitchers figured out how to get him out. Now, he must adjust or be gone.

Vasquez:

It might be tough for him to be Opening Day ready for 2014. He's played 20 games at Double-A. But then again, Jackie Bradley, Jr....

He's ready defensively already.

Bryce Brentz:

He will not be a full time Sox outfielder by 2014. Not unless he can handle breaking pitches a a little better and calm some of his streakiness. Then again, he could grow into a power-hitting righty who can tattoo the Green Monster.

He might be the next Mauro Gomez, but who knows at this point?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Webster will be in the rotation by Memorial Day  !!

Will he be throwing to "the next Carleton Fisk"? 

I like Webster a lot but I'm nervous now that he has Billy Boy's endorsment AKA a prospect's kiss of death.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Two guys I am very excited to see make the Greenville team were Kukuk and Montas. Great sign they are coming along. Both have as much upside as anybody outside the top 3 pitchers.

Only two slight disappointments are Manuel Margot not making the Greenville team and Brian Johnson making the Greenville team. Johnson's strength was supposed to be his polish and he is already 22.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

The plan for the No. 5 spot in the PawSox rotation is for De La Rosa to pitch two innings and Godfrey to piggyback for 4-5 innings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

The No. 11, 12 and 13 picks in the 2005 draft were McCutchen, Bruce and new PawSox first baseman Brandon Snyder

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Are they prepping RDLR to be a part of the Sox pen as the season progresses?

If Doubie doesn't perform perhaps they would move Aceves into the rotation--move Doubie in trade and RDLR into the 2 or 3 inning slot of Aceves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Are they prepping RDLR to be a part of the Sox pen as the season progresses?

If Doubie doesn't perform perhaps they would move Aceves into the rotation--move Doubie in trade and RDLR into the 2 or 3 inning slot of Aceves.

i don't think so. between, Ace, Morales, Tazawa and Mortenson we have 4 guys in our MLB BP who can go into long relief/spot start. RDLR isn't quite MLB ready yet so i imagine we do everything we can to get him work in AAA and prepare him to start in 2014+

besides, if Doobie doesn't pan out and/or a spot is open in the rotation for an extended period of time (due to injuries or ineffectiveness) then i think we'd bring Webster up and keep Ace in the long relief/spot start role. If a pitcher needs a day off or goes on the 15 day DL then Ace will fill in short-term but anything longer than that i think they turn to Webster or Morales (once he gets healthy) before they let Ace start full time. I disagree but nothing i can do about it..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pavano-Rose-Suppan, Clemens-Boyd, Hurst-Ojeda-Tudor... This year's PawSox Opening Day rotation is one of its best ever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Sea Dogs Thursday opener in Portland at 6 PM--Drake Britton will start for the Dogs against the Yankee's Trenton Thunder affiliate.

Bogaerts will be at SS probably Vazquez behind the plate. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sea Dogs Thursday opener in Portland at 6 PM--Drake Britton will start for the Dogs against the Yankee's Trenton Thunder affiliate.

Britton got the start huh? Good for him. I wouldve thought either workman or barnes...Guess they rank him higher than the other 2.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Britton got the start huh? Good for him. I wouldve thought either workman or barnes...Guess they rank him higher than the other 2.

It could just be that they felt he was more ready at this point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

It could just be that they felt he was more ready at this point.

Thats what I meant. My wording might have suggested different.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

The Sea Dogs' rotation to start the season: Britton, Workman, Kyle Kaminska (acquired for Zach Stewart), Barnes, Ranaudo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Drew's rehab to begin tomorrow in Portland. Expected to play four games there, could be in Boston for home opener.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Ortiz hopes to play in extended spring Monday, and eventually get 25-30 at-bats with Pawtucket before returning.

Farrell said third week of April for Ortiz is a reasonable timetable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Portland SeaDogs pitching coach Bob Kipper on Daniel Bard: "The goal is to reclaim dominance."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Portland SeaDogs pitching coach Bob Kipper on Daniel Bard: "The goal is to reclaim dominance."

That is a great phrase--hopefully something Bard can pursue.

It will be interesting to see if they move Bogaerts to 3 B, LF or DH so Drew can get as much time at SS. I doubt Drew will be the DH with his return to Boston in such a short time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Wow, look at the talent in Portland. The best I've ever seen at the AA level IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Wow, look at the talent in Portland. The best I've ever seen at the AA level IMO.

Makes me wish I still lived in Portland (now that winter is mostly over).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Stephen Drew is playing shortstop for Portland tonight. Xander Bogaerts is DH'ing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Stephen Drew is playing shortstop for Portland tonight. Xander Bogaerts is DH'ing.

Why not x-man at 3B?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

That is a great phrase--hopefully something Bard can pursue.

It will be interesting to see if they move Bogaerts to 3 B, LF or DH so Drew can get as much time at SS. I doubt Drew will be the DH with his return to Boston in such a short time.

Im glad they sent him to AA. Bob Kipper is an excellent pitching coach and is familiar with Bard

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

A good time to have the mlb.com service. Hopefully they carry some Portland games. I'm not seeing much I want to watch in Pawtucket. 

Sections
Shortcuts