1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Red Sox Minor League Observations And Updates

Salem third baseman Garin Cecchini (.392) continues his hot start, going 3-for-4 with two doubles and his third home run.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Brandon Snyder

- he can play the Mauro Gomez role this season: good hitter at Triple-A who could help out the big club if needed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

De La Rosa’s

performance on Tuesday in Pawtucket was probably the best he's looked since his first outing in spring training. He struck out five and didn't walk anybody in his three innings, and Gary DiSarcina called it a glimpse into his future.
    The issue with expectations for him this year is we don't know exactly how conservative the Red Sox will be with his innings as the season progresses. DiSarcina suggested they might loosen the reins a little bit, but he wasn't specific.

So I don't know if we can reasonably expect him to be a starter in the majors at any point this season. But I'd expect him to be competing for a starting job next spring.

And I can see a 3-4-5-6 progression, month by month.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

We'll know more about Iglesias' status on Thursday. (He was hit by a pitch in his forearm on Tuesday.)
    I think his increased power is for real in terms of doubles more than home runs. Iglesias is never going to be a guy who hits even 10 homers in the big leagues. But if he can drive the ball into the gap and down the lines, which he's been doing more of this season, he can add some value with his bat.
    PawSox hitting coach Dave Joppie said Iglesias' swing has always been pretty good. His improvement this year has derived from better pitch selection and the strength he put on in the offseason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Barnes

had a Double-A high 10 strikeouts on Wednesday.

Anthony Ranaudo

had an ERA close to 7.00 last season but has an ERA under 1.00 through four starts this year. One shouldn’t change their assessment of Barnes based on this month -- though I don't think many people ever saw him as a big-league No. 1. He's probably more of a 2 or 3.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Webster, despite a rockier outing his last time out for Pawtucket, has continued to look really good. His command is much improved over where it was a season ago, and that was the main thing holding him back. But, just because Webster may be ready to join the Sox staff this year doesn't mean he will. Webster's starts for the Sox this season will be predicated more on what the Red Sox quintet does and less on what he does. And I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of trading anyone from the starting rotation, though it's more likely that would happen after the season. That's how the Rays have replenished over the years -- they traded Garza and Shields when they've had another pitcher ready to force his way up from Triple-A, and they've reinforced other areas of need without losing very much. I absolutely could see Dempster or Lackey being traded this winter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

If Victorino has to hit the DL, you would go with Bradley over Brentz.

Brentz isn't on the 40-man roster right now, so calling him up would require you to designate someone (and start Brentz's clock earlier than necessary). So it would be Bradley, and he could finish his 20 days when Victorino comes back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jeremy Hazelbaker

seems to me like the type of player who can rake against Triple-A pitching but will get exposed in the major leagues. If he could play center field like his speed suggests he should, he'd have a better shot, but he's only a left fielder.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Drew Sutton

isn't an everyday player in the majors, especially at third base.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

If there's a year when all five starters in the Opening Day rotation are home-grown, then it's not far-fetched to think that could happen by 2015.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Drew Sutton

isn't an everyday player in the majors, especially at third base.

Agree, but I liked this guy when he was with the Sox a couple of years ago, real good guy to have ready in case of injury.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

The Sea Dogs clinched a winning roadtrip with yesterday’s victory.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

At 15-9, Portland holds the best record in the Eastern League and seeks their fifth straight win (would tie a season-high.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Portland has won all four road series to start the season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

1B Travis Shaw extended his on-base streak to 23 games for the season and 24 dating back to 2012.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

INF Kolbrin Vitek went 2-for-4 yesterday, extending his season-high hitting streak to six games: 8-for-23 (.348).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

How about the X man heating up in Portland

1.083 OPS in his last ten, just hit his first HR today. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

If Victorino has to hit the DL, you would go with Bradley over Brentz.

Brentz isn't on the 40-man roster right now, so calling him up would require you to designate someone (and start Brentz's clock earlier than necessary). So it would be Bradley, and he could finish his 20 days when Victorino comes back.

I agree....the thing about the 20 days is that it has to be done consecutively.  If he gets called up after say 17 games....then gets sent down again....the 20 days would have to start again.  I really think the Sox are more than happy with Carp right now though.  Bradley simply was not very good in his short stint here.  He can't hit a curve or an inside pitch.  He still needs a bunch of work.  I think a full season in AAA may be in the best interest right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Bogaers HRs

Portland 1 Reading 0 after 1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

BTW....thanks for doing this thread.  It's a great read.  Well done!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Xander Bogaerts homered on a fly ball to right center field.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

BTW....thanks for doing this thread.  It's a great read.  Well done!

Thank you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

How about the X man heating up in Portland

1.083 OPS in his last ten, just hit his first HR today. 

CT. I think we are going to miss Renaudo next week in NB. Barnes should be pitching Sunday.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

keep up the good work 2004...Love to hear all the updates on the "kids". Also gives those fans here who arent familiar with some of our prospects some info on them.

Cecchini is showing some power this year. Hes a big kid and if he adds power to his game he will be a legit 5-tool player and possibly challenge Middy for the 3b job.

Lots of solid prospects to look forward to.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

keep up the good work 2004...Love to hear all the updates on the "kids". Also gives those fans here who arent familiar with some of our prospects some info on them.

Cecchini is showing some power this year. Hes a big kid and if he adds power to his game he will be a legit 5-tool player and possibly challenge Middy for the 3b job.

Lots of solid prospects to look forward to.

Thank you.