1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Red Sox Minor League Observations And Updates

Matt Barnes (3-1) fired six scoreless frames and Peter Hissey delivered a late two-run single, leading the Portland Sea Dogs (19-10) to a 4-3 win over the Reading Fightin Phils (12-17)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Barnes scattered five hits on two walks and fanned four. The right-hander stranded five runners and held Reading 0-for-5 with runners-in-scoring position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Reading rallied in the ninth inning, scoring a run off Keith Couch. Derrick Mitchell lined an RBI single, before Brock Huntzinger retired Troy Hanzawa to end the game. Huntzinger converted his seventh save, in his league leading, 14th appearance of the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Fightin Phils' starter Greg Smith (0-1) took the loss, despite five innings of one-hit ball. The lone hit was a Tony Thomas homer in the second inning, giving Portland a 1-0 lead. Thomas, who is tied for 2nd in the league in extra-base hits, blasted his 3rd homer of the season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Hissey gave Portland a 3-0 lead in the seventh, nailing a two-run single off RHP Juan Sosa. Hissey, who was activated from the disabled list earlier in the day, went 1-for-3, 2 RBI and a stolen base.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Reading scored two unearned runs off Couch in the eighth. Sebastian Valle put the visitors on the board with a wall-ball double, Edgar Duran followed with a run-scoring single. Portland came right back, scoring a run on a wild pitch, with two outs in there half of the seventh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Daniel Bard worked a scoreless seventh, earning his second hold of the season. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

"When you have your stuff, you're working to keep it. When you don't have your stuff, you're working to find it. You're always working on something," said Barnes, who struck out four batters and issued one walk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

"When you have your stuff, you're working to keep it. When you don't have your stuff, you're working to find it. You're always working on something," said Barnes, who struck out four batters and issued one walk.

"I've learned some things about how to more appropriately pitch at Double-A in my first month here, but it's always a work in progress."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Barnes (3-1) retired six of the first seven batters he faced, but he allowed runners to reach base in each of the next four frames.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

The closest the Phils came to scoring against the Barnes came in the fourth inning when Jim Murphy led off with a walk and Sebastian Valle doubled to center field. But Shannon Wilkerson hit cutoff man Heiker Menese, who relayed the ball to catcher Christian Vazquez in time to apply the tag.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

"That was a huge play in the game," said Barnes. "[Tony] Thomas had put us up, 1-0, in the second inning and they had a man on first with two outs. I threw Valle a 1-0 fastball and missed my spot and he hit it off the wall, but Wilkerson got it in to Menese and he made a heck of a throw to Vazquez to tag the guy out at home.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

"Tonight was one of those where my stuff wasn't exceptional, but I found a way to get the 'W' and grind it out ... Those are the starts that make you a better pitcher."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

"I didn't strike out quite as many tonight and the command wasn't as good on all of my pitches, but that happens from time to time," said Barnes, who throws a fastball, a curveball and a changeup. "I won't have the best stuff every time out. Obviously the first few starts were not how I wanted them to be, but I've made progress with my curveball and my secondary pitches."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

"When I had to make pitches in those outings, I wasn't able to make them. Tonight, when I had a man on third and a 2-2 count, I was able to make my pitch and throw a curveball and get the ground ball."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Daniel Bard worked around two hits and a walk in the seventh and Keith Couch allowed three runs -- one earned -- on five hits over 1 2/3 frames. Brock Huntzinger retired the one batter he faced to pick up his seventh save of the year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

The PawSox add two more in the 7th on a bases loaded wild pitch and a Ryan Lavarnway RBI 1B to take a 5-1 lead at the stretch

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

PawSox leading 5-1 into the bottom of the 9th...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

PawSox defeat Gwinnett 5-1 in the series opener at Coolray Field. Hernandez the win, and Hamilton with a 2-run HR

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pawtucket Red Sox struck early and often in the opener of their eight-day road trip en route to a 5-1 victory Monday over the Gwinnett Braves.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

The PawSox collected 10 hits in handing Gwinnett its ninth straight loss.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

The PawSox first two hits immediately put them on top of right-hander Omar Poveda. Ryan Lavarnway singled and Mark Hamilton laced an opposite field drive to straight-away left for his third home run and a 2-0, first-inning lead.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pawtucket reached Poveda (L, 2-2) again when Brock Holt lined an RBI single in the fourth inning for a 3-0 lead. It was the first of Holt's two singles, as one of the two PawSox, along with Lavarnway, to produce multiple hits.

Meanwhile, Rubby De La Rosa turned in his third consecutive scoreless outing, while settling for a no-decision. De La Rosa, who struck out a season-high six, retired his final seven hitters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

The win was credited to Chris Hernandez (W, 1-2), who recently moved into the PawSox bullpen. Hernandez worked 4.0-plus innings, surrendering only a solo home run by Jordan Parraz in the fifth inning.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pawtucket pushed across two more runs in its half of the seventh, thanks to Lavarnway's RBI single and a wild pitch to score Holt.