Red Sox minor league roundup

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: Matsuzaka update & Red Sox minor league roundup

A healthy Matsuzaka could be a huge benefit to the team - although how the roster would be juggled is puzzling.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Matsuzaka update & Red Sox minor league roundup:
    [QUOTE]Daisuke Matsuzaka was on the mound for Double A Portland this afternoon at Hadlock Field against Reading. Matsuzaka went 4.2 innings, allowing one run on three hits with two walks and seven strikeouts. He threw 74 pitches, 44 strikes and topped out at 93 mph. Red Sox minor league roundup: A promising beginning for Stolmy Pimentel
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]
     thanks for the update Idiots.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think they gotta DL Buck for 15 days....work things out in PAW while we give A Cook a look for 2-3 starts.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

And Buchholz pitches Monday, the day before Cook's opt-out date.  Interesting situation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It sure is interesting....unless you are in the camp that Buck isn't pitching terribly this year; and there are bunch of those in here believe it not....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Thanks, Idiot.

I am wondering like others how we handle all that extra pitching ....

unless I remember how often our surplus pitching in years past went POOF!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Even with his bad start, Buch's got a 3.20 ERA in his last 280 IPs.  You've got to do better than Cook to take him out of the rotation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You're going back way too far - 280 IP?  That's gotta be more than half of his career totals???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Matsuzaka update & Red Sox minor league roundup:
    [QUOTE]You're going back way too far - 280 IP?  That's gotta be more than half of his career totals???
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

What's a fair criteria?  His numbers improve with every IP beyond his last 20.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Is there any chance Cook wouldn't opt out? 

Having 7 guys you want to find starts for is one of those good problems. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Seems the bullpen is calling cooks name. Leave him in there and if someone gets hurt stick him in the rotation. Gotta keep guys like cook.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

How about trying Cook at closer? It's pretty obvious Ace doesn't want the job. To the best of my foggy recollection Bob Stanley had some nice seasons as Red Sox closer, and Cook looks a lot like him to me.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]It sure is interesting....unless you are in the camp that Buck isn't pitching terribly this year; and there are bunch of those in here believe it not....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

No one's saying he has pitched well, just that it's foolish to project a 9 ERA for the season for a pitcher who has a career 3.89 ERA.

Cook has a career 4.53 ERA in the NL West.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

how many times have you seen a good player just go away and a guy who was previously mediocre start playing amazingly?

its all about how their pitching NOW, not the past 3 years....

that being said, i think cook will hit the BP and they will give buch a few more starts and if he doesn't shape up then he will probably go to the DL and cook will get a chance to start.. If clay returns to form then i guess we have a good BP arm until someone gets hurt *knockonwood*.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What if Buch goes 7 innings with 3 hits and 1 run his next start? 

Does change anything for you, andrewmitch?

Isn't it fair to give a pitcher returning from a serious injury a little slack for his first 3-5 starts?

I'd love to see Cook get a shot, but Buch deserves some patience.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I stand by what I said before. Cook could close.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]A healthy Matsuzaka could be a huge benefit to the team - although how the roster would be juggled is puzzling.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

I really believe that he will be a great help to the Red Sox this season and win a lot of games when he returns. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Does Buch even have any options remaining?  Can't send him down too easily, unless you do the "tendon inflammation" thang or something like that....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Hold your horses on Cook.  He was ok tonight in his game at Pawtucket, but far from stellar.  He still has a very good 1.89 ERA overall, but that is in the International League.  He would be a good 4th or 5th starter for the Sox, if they needed one.  But right now they do not.  And when Matsuzaka returns they will need him even less. 

Cook pitches to contact, and with only marginally good control.  Not my idea of the ideal closer.  Bob Stanley was not a closer; at least not in the sense that we mean it nowadays.  The year he saved 33 games he pitched 145 innings and had an 8 - 10 record.  What Bob Stanley did so well was pitch in long relief and spot starter.  If Cook can come in and play that role (the role Aceves had last season) then I think he could be a very useful addition to the Sox staff.  But if not, he does not really fit in Boston.  He would be more useful as trade bait for a reliever (and I've got to believe that some team somewhere would be willing to trade a good reliever for a good back end of the rotation starter). 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortuee. Show Ortuee's posts

In Response to Matsuzaka update & Red Sox minor league roundup:
    [QUOTE]Daisuke Matsuzaka was on the mound for Double A Portland this afternoon at Hadlock Field against Reading. Matsuzaka went 4.2 innings, allowing one run on three hits with two walks and seven strikeouts. He threw 74 pitches, 44 strikes and topped out at 93 mph. Red Sox minor league roundup: A promising beginning for Stolmy Pimentel
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Still those are numbers vs. AA...they forgot to mention Dice's 4.2 innings took 5 hours and 17 minutes <G />......some things will never change...

I think we need to give Cook a chance in long relief or spot starting...hate to see NYY pick him up......

ClayBee seems to be aiming the ball rather than just rearing back and firing...this guy once had "lightning stuff".....somehow he seems to be confining/constraining himself...either due to effects of pitching coaches or whatever.....

I still think Bbard should be the closer, don't think he's a starter. Remember we tried this with Papelbone, and he ended up in closer role when the bullpen was failing. Bard closer, and Bailey setup, if he ever comes back.

Sections
Shortcuts