Red Sox Minors - Where are the Power Hitting Outfielders?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Red Sox Minors - Where are the Power Hitting Outfielders?

With all of the good drafting the Sox have done, where are the outfielders, and power hitting ones at that?

Please help me remember the last power hitting outfielder that has come up, is currently up, or is in our system?

There isn't one top prospect for the Sox in this category.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: Red Sox Minors - Where are the Power Hitting Outfielders?

We didn't Draft many either, which really surprised me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No Jim Rices, no Ellis Burks, no Phil Plantiers, but they did have Brandon Moss and Josh Reddick not too long ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

That's why we have Henry Owens, Anthony Ranaudo, Matt Barnes, Blake Swihart, Devin Marrero, Trey Ball, Mookie Betts, Brian Johnson, Garin Cecchini, Will Middlebrooks, Jackie Bradley Jr., etc.  Stop whining about one of the best farm in the league.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Thing is, you might have to Trade some of them, to get Talent for the Outfield. Sox have to look at Free Agency otherwise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With all of the good drafting the Sox have done, where are the outfielders, and power hitting ones at that?

Please help me remember the last power hitting outfielder that has come up, is currently up, or is in our system?

[/QUOTE]

when is the last time yankees had a homegrown power hitting OF?  Think the last time is Bernie Williams

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

[QUOTE]

when is the last time yankees had a homegrown power hitting OF?  Think the last time is Bernie Williams

[/QUOTE]

But they have few OF prospects with above average power potential.  Aaron Judge being the highest potential i believe.  (Mason Williams, Heathcott, Tyler Austin, and Judge)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's why we have Henry Owens, Anthony Ranaudo, Matt Barnes, Blake Swihart, Devin Marrero, Trey Ball, Mookie Betts, Brian Johnson, Garin Cecchini, Will Middlebrooks, Jackie Bradley Jr., etc.  Stop whining about one of the best farm in the league.  

[/QUOTE]

I'm also going to whine....Where's the Beef?  JBJ would help if he could hit from the womans tee. Middlebrooke? His biggest hit was Jenny Dell. Betts hopefully good but no power. Marrero good glove no power? What pitcher you mentioned will give us power?  His question was power hitting , not weak hitting and pitchers?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

When it comes to position players, the Sox appear to focus primarily on “up the middle” players in the early rounds of the draft, guys like Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lowrie, Fuentes, Marrero, Bradley, Swihart, Denney, Jerez, Gibson.   And some who were busts, like Place, Vitek and Egan.  The upside is when these guys fail up the middle, sometimes they and be moved to a corner position, like Middlebrooks and David Murphy.  If you draft a corner player and he doesn’t work out in the corner, it’s much harder to move him up the middle.  The downside is you do miss out on the power-hitting corner bats.  They did try one corner hitting OF in the early rounds in recent years – Bryce Brentz – and he is not working out.  The only other corner bats drafted in the first two rounds sinc 2003 were Matt Murton and Hunter Morris, the latter did not sign and is with the Brewers.   So they have missed out on a lot of corner guys, but most of the elite ones were usually gone before their late round picks anyway.  I don’t knock the strategy.  When it comes to farm systems, overall quality is better than having certain positions filled.

This does mean they have to sign or trade for corner bats.  They have certainly done this with lots of success with guys like Manny Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez, David Ortiz, JD Drew, Mike Lowell.  

It is time for another. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

*biggest hit was Jenny Dell*....outstanding.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Cuba, Alfredo Despaigne. See what Abreu is doing with the White Sox, he'll do it too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When was the last time Yankees had a tight wallet?  Homegrown is ok ....but ? When they become good and leave for more money ..... Yankees could get them or another team willing to spend. Sox breed players for other teams. When a homey wants more money..... ha ha ha ha says Henry....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[/QUOTE]

I'm also going to whine....Where's the Beef?  JBJ would help if he could hit from the womans tee. Middlebrooke? His biggest hit was Jenny Dell. Betts hopefully good but no power. Marrero good glove no power? What pitcher you mentioned will give us power?  His question was power hitting , not weak hitting and pitchers?

[/QUOTE]

So you also decided to whine about the best farm.  The reason we don't have power hitting OF in the minors is they wanted lots of young pitching and players with athleticism.  They drafted these kids and made the best farm in the league and you whine about not having power hitting OF?  Most teams' do not have power hitting OF as their top prospect.  I can only think of Taveras and Buxton.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Drafting power hitters renders many more draft busts. A guy who has power as a tool have a very high bust rate, if a guy has power and is a sure thing, he is usually drafted with the first couple picks in the draft.  

The Sox have focused on up the middle players and pitching, and while outfield power is a hole in their system, no system is without holes no matter how strong.  

The L.A. Angels were lucky to hit on Mike Trout.....but that is literally one of the only good things to come out of their system lately as they are ranked worse than NYY farm and have been at the bottom for some years.

There is also a huge power outage of power all over baseball, there just aren't too many of those guys going around.  Last year there was only about 1 30 HR hitter for ever 2 teams out there, half the teams on average didn't have 1 guy hit 30 HR's. 

The Sox drafted a few guys the last couple years who have power potential but are YEARS away.  Nick Longhi, Sam Travis, Jon Denney, to name a few. 

In the end, the Sox farm system is not a problem and nothing to complain about.  It would be nice to have some power and outfielders, but we can also trade for or sign a guy as well. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cuba, Alfredo Despaigne. See what Abreu is doing with the White Sox, he'll do it too.

[/QUOTE]

So Abreu's success grantees Despaigne???? Imagine if Tanaka came before Diasuke???

Just because there are good players coming out of Cuba, doesn't mean they are all good or going to be stars and I've heard Despaigne's bat draws a lot more concern than Abreaus did. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you also decided to whine about the best farm.  The reason we don't have power hitting OF in the minors is they wanted lots of young pitching and players with athleticism.  They drafted these kids and made the best farm in the league and you whine about not having power hitting OF?  Most teams' do not have power hitting OF as their top prospect.  I can only think of Taveras and Buxton.  

[/QUOTE]

Every team has weakness in their farm, and yes Power hitting outfielders is one for us, but seriously almost every other farm system has the same holes, and more and worse holes. 

Just another thing for the complainers to complain about. 

next year they will be trying to find out which high school players the Sox are scouting so they can go bash them too. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i dont want power hitting minor league players.  those guys i want on my big club.  and the best way to get them is pay $$$ for FA or trade for them.  and guess what?  in order to trade for them you need a great farm.  if it doesn't happen this july, i expect we will have a power corner outfield in camp for spring training......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Want to bet. You see the Olympics? What he did to Strassburg, WBC last year?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Last power hitting prospect the Sox had was Will Middlebrooks. 

Before than it was Anthony Rizzo.

Hanley Ramirez had good power

Bogaerts is a fringey power guy.  No one thought he was going to be a huge power threat but most say/think he will be a 20-25 HR guy. 
    Lars Anderson had some power too.

Heck there are plenty of guys with power in the system.  Kendrick Perkins has insane power, but probably doesn't have the tools to ever get past AA.  

The kid who could be the Sox top prospect in a few years Rafeal Devers, might have more power than anyone to come through Bostons system in a decade or so, but he's also about 5-6 years away from being a big leaguer. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i dont want power hitting minor league players.  those guys i want on my big club.  and the best way to get them is pay $$$ for FA or trade for them.  and guess what?  in order to trade for them you need a great farm.  if it doesn't happen this july, i expect we will have a power corner outfield in camp for spring training......

[/QUOTE]

This is one reason why I believe the Sox love drafting up the middle players and pitchers.  I think they are more comfortable paying big money to position players than they are to pitchers.   They can easily go out and get a Corey Ross for a year, or an ADrian Beltre, or a Mike Napoli.  They also have the farm to go out and trade for a guy like Gonzo....and I thnk it will happen again.

If we are to trade for system needs and go the prospect route,  I'd love Joc Pederson, or Josh Bell in this system.  Jesse winkler is a good name that comes to mind as well.  Maybe even a joey gallo or a springer type, of course this would require giving up at least Betts. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drafting power hitters renders many more draft busts. A guy who has power as a tool have a very high bust rate, if a guy has power and is a sure thing, he is usually drafted with the first couple picks in the draft.  

The Sox have focused on up the middle players and pitching, and while outfield power is a hole in their system, no system is without holes no matter how strong.  

The L.A. Angels were lucky to hit on Mike Trout.....but that is literally one of the only good things to come out of their system lately as they are ranked worse than NYY farm and have been at the bottom for some years.

There is also a huge power outage of power all over baseball, there just aren't too many of those guys going around.  Last year there was only about 1 30 HR hitter for ever 2 teams out there, half the teams on average didn't have 1 guy hit 30 HR's. 

The Sox drafted a few guys the last couple years who have power potential but are YEARS away.  Nick Longhi, Sam Travis, Jon Denney, to name a few. 

In the end, the Sox farm system is not a problem and nothing to complain about.  It would be nice to have some power and outfielders, but we can also trade for or sign a guy as well. 

[/QUOTE]

The Angels were so enamored with Mike Trout that they drafted Randal Grichuk ahead of him...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

full disclosure...you can change the title of this thread to Minors and Majors......

other names i have posted under:  none

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Angels were so enamored with Mike Trout that they drafted Randal Grichuk ahead of him...

[/QUOTE]

24 players were drafted ahead of Trout, I don't know how many teams passed on him, probably 20 or 22.  But guys like Trout are the exception.  If you get a Mike Trout in your system, GREAT....but if you draft trying to find the next Mike Trout you have a much greater chance of ending up with a crappy overall system. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I was obnoxious that complainers were complaining about not having power hitting OFs in the minors.  We have bunch of IFs and Cs with great power potentials and they were so blinded and only want power outfielders.  To name a few power potential position players who could be tested at OF, we have recent draftee Michael Chavis who has great bat speed and power and could be tried at OF with his athleticism.  Chavis hit 13 HRs in only 28 games as high school senior.  Sean Coyle also has great power and , like Mookie, could see some times at OF if Sox can't find spot for him in the major.  Others are Swihart, Longhi, Denney, Devers, Henry Ramos, Bryce Brentz.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

And Brentz was a 1st round draft pick, and while he might be a MLBer he doesn't appear to be an everyday above average guy at this point.  But the point is it's not as if they have not tried to get those guys in there and fill those holes.  But you just aren't going to hit on everyone and you will be left with holes somewhere.

That is another reason why the Sox draft and like guys who are up the middle position players, because they tend to be much more versatile and can switch off positions.  THink Brock Holt (not drafted by the Sox) or Mookie Betts, or Xander Bogaerts, all of these guys will be capable of moving to multiple positions at the big league leve.