Red Sox MVP, 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Red Sox MVP, 2013

There are four legitimate candidates for the 2013 Red Sox MVP. Alphabetically, they are Ortiz, Pedroia, Salty and Uehara. A strong case can be made for them all.

Against Ortiz is the fact the Sox were doing quite well without him for the first 3 weeks of the season. Other than that, he would be an overwhelming favorite,

Pedroia's power has not been the same as it was last year, due to 1) injury, and 2) reluctance of pitchers to pitch inside, but he brings much more than a .300 BA to the table!

Salty has improved singnificantly, almost day by day, plays the toughest and 2nd most important position on the team. I think he would be missed the most of any of the four, and would BE MY CHOICE.

Uihara has been Rivera-like since they made him the closer. The question is, however, will it carry over to the post-season? I think it will, but I don't think they would miss him as much as they would Salty. THAT would be a disaster, and write fini to the 2013 season.

Did I miss anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: Red Sox MVP, 2013

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

There are four legitimate candidates for the 2013 Red Sox MVP. Alphabetically, they are Ortiz, Pedroia, Salty and Uehara. A strong case can be made for them all.

Against Ortiz is the fact the Sox were doing quite well without him for the first 3 weeks of the season. Other than that, he would be an overwhelming favorite,

Pedroia's power has not been the same as it was last year, due to 1) injury, and 2) reluctance of pitchers to pitch inside, but he brings much more than a .300 BA to the table!

Salty has improved singnificantly, almost day by day, plays the toughest and 2nd most important position on the team. I think he would be missed the most of any of the four, and would BE MY CHOICE.

Uihara has been Rivera-like since they made him the closer. The question is, however, will it carry over to the post-season? I think it will, but I don't think they would miss him as much as they would Salty. THAT would be a disaster, and write fini to the 2013 season.

Did I miss anyone?

Uehara would be my RS MVP based on the fact we lost 2 closers to injury. If he didn't come thru the way he did, nothing worse than losing games late. Fortunately we've been winning games late making this a very fun season. Lackey also deserves some consideration for the way he has come back. While record may not show it, he has been the RS most consistent starter all year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Koji is the one. 

Salty?  He's improved, but MVP of the team?  lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think September will play a huge role in who I would pick, but Ortiz would be my choice as of right now...becuase without his offense we would not be where we are today/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Koji and Lackey runner up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Koji-san

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nobody has really done great all season long, except Uehara.

He gets my vote.

2nd: Ortiz

T3rd: Salty, Nava, Lackey, Doubront, Pedroia, Ellsbury

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

He gets my vote.

Sox4ever

Nice.  This is what's great about the team.  You could arguably add Victorino to tied for 3rd with Napoli, Drew, Lester, Buccholz and Gomes not far behind

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

My vote would be lackey... his consistent pitching helped this team from getting off track all year

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Or Jacob Ellsbury!!  He set the tone for the offense for most of the Boston's wins this year

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Koji

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Koji-san

ditto slasher my man. DITTO!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Koji-san

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Koji or Salty

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

1-Koji
    2-Ellsbury
    3-Buchholz
    4-Papi
    5-Victorino
    6-Pedroia
    7-Lackey
    8-Doubront
    9-Lester
    10-Gomes

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Take Ortiz over Uehara only because he has impact on more games. His presence in the line up alone is a factor.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

John Lackey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Koji. Without him, we are in trouble. Closing ain't easy, he just makes it look that way. Let's hope that he holds up. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Koji; then Ortiz, Lackey, and Salty.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Victorino is making a strong case for consideration...another bomb tonight 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

1-Koji
    2-Ellsbury
    3-Buchholz
    4-Papi
    5-Victorino
    6-Pedroia
    7-Lackey
    8-Doubront
    9-Lester
    10-Gomes

No Salty?

The guy is one of the top hitting catchers in baseball and has helped this staff turn things around.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1-Koji
    2-Ellsbury
    3-Buchholz
    4-Papi
    5-Victorino
    6-Pedroia
    7-Lackey
    8-Doubront
    9-Lester
    10-Gomes

No Salty?

The guy is one of the top hitting catchers in baseball and has helped this staff turn things around.

[/QUOTE]

No. I rate Drew higher aswell. Drew ranks 8th in OPS[200 PA] and has been above average on defense. Salty ranks 11th in OPS and is below average on defense. Salty I have 12th-14th, right there with Napoli and Nava.

I gave Gomez the 10th slot because he has been clutch and probably has been the number 1 reason for the team attitude turn around. It was somewhat symbolic and was a bit of an honarable mention thing.

As for Salty, I still see him as a very bad defensive catcher. Nothing has really changed on that front for me. He has had a solid season on offense, although partly BABIP related. But some improvement there which is good. Good offensive season. Still bad on defense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Slasher9's avatar.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

He gets my vote.

Sox4ever

I bet you NEVER, in 10 lifetimes, thought that you would list Doubront as candidate for MVP huh Moon. : )  I'm not rubbing it in, and I know you have been giving him a lot of credit, just having a little fun. I still think...and predict, that he will be our best pitcher down the stretch. They have protected him nicely all year keeping his pitch count at 100 ( which is why he wasn't going deeper into games ) last game I think he went 111 in 8 innings.