RED SOX NATION, LONGING FOR BASEBALL DAYS GONE BYE. WHEN D D EISENHOWER,CURT GOWDY,JOHHNY CASH, & BOB HOPE....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

RED SOX NATION, LONGING FOR BASEBALL DAYS GONE BYE. WHEN D D EISENHOWER,CURT GOWDY,JOHHNY CASH, & BOB HOPE....

BROUGHT US A KINDER/GENTLER TIME AT FENWAY PARK......  NOW WE HAVE THE "BIG O", LUCCIANO's, NO CASH & NO HOPE !!!!!! YUK, YUK, YUK !!  WHAT A WAY TO START OFF A SUNDAY MORNING.....  HECK, IM WAITING FOR THE "STOVE" TO HEAT UP !!!   WHAT SAY YOU ???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Re: RED SOX NATION, LONGING FOR BASEBALL DAYS GONE BYE. WHEN D D EISENHOWER,CURT GOWDY,JOHHNY CASH, & BOB HOPE....

Yes I long for those days in the 50's and 60's when we could just relax and watch the Sox, knowing they were terrible and had no chance of winning, and watched the Yankee's just waltz into the WS every year. Yes sir bring back those good old days. Come to think of it, they[the Sox] could  start by cutting payroll to about 60 milllion, get rid of every good player, have no pitching, and play doubleheaders on Sunday with free hot dogs to any one who wants to sit and endure 18 innings of awful baseball.
    Boy I can't wait for the 2012 season to start, so I can experience the good old day's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: RED SOX NATION, LONGING FOR BASEBALL DAYS GONE BYE. WHEN D D EISENHOWER,CURT GOWDY,JOHHNY CASH, & BOB HOPE....

I did not have to put up with the current sense of entitlement from those new fans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

Bill-806, times seemed simpler back then. We would be playing little league and/or pick-up games, anywhere we could throw together a field and then rush to someone's house to watch the Game of the Week on NBC.  Rarely do I see kids creating a pick up game of baseball. When I played, it was for competition, sport, replicating a play of your hero. We didn't play because mom or dad thought we were the next multi-millionaire project in town.
     Watching the Sox for my first time in 1966, I had my hero in Yaz,  Boomer and the rest of the guys who in 1967, did the impossible. Then add the Grit and Leadership of Fisk, the oddball thoughts of a very tough pitcher in Bill Lee, and El Tiante, etc.,  character, ability. Every year after 1967 hoping and then hoping again and then hoping again.
    What I see too much of on the board as Jim fromFlorida, writes, the sense of entitlement of new fans. Short term memory, no allegiance/patience.
    The same way this stupid extra wild card team creates another level of less than excellence  as being acceptable.  What next, let's give every player and team some type of trophy and extra cash by raising ticket prices for participating while making millions. We don't want to have anyone feel left out or ignored. LOL.
    Maybe next year we will see........OMLB, Occupy Major League Baseball, no team ownership, players rights only, no ticket prices, free parking and the demand that society make it a duty to ensure that every fan who wants to see a game, is transported there free in comfort and style , and yes, large dugouts so fans can site alongside the players to feel their democratic need to be included is as close as it can get.
    I will probably get slammed by some for this post, but I am expressing my right to freedom of speech to make a point and have some fun.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: RED SOX NATION, LONGING FOR BASEBALL DAYS GONE BYE. WHEN D D EISENHOWER,CURT GOWDY,JOHHNY CASH, & BOB HOPE....:
    [QUOTE]Bill-806, times seemed simpler back then. We would be playing little league and/or pick-up games, anywhere we could throw together a field and then rush to someone's house to watch the Game of the Week on NBC.  Rarely do I see kids creating a pick up game of baseball. When I played, it was for competition, sport, replicating a play of your hero. We didn't play because mom or dad thought we were the next multi-millionaire project in town.  Watching the Sox for my first time in 1966, I had my hero in Yaz,  Boomer and the rest of the guys who in 1967, did the impossible. Then add the Grit and Leadership of Fisk, the oddball thoughts of a very tough pitcher in Bill Lee, and El Tiante, etc.,  character, ability. Every year after 1967 hoping and then hoping again and then hoping again. What I see too much of on the board as Jim fromFlorida, writes, the sense of entitlement of new fans. Short term memory, no allegiance/patience. The same way this stupid extra wild card team creates another level of less than excellence  as being acceptable.  What next, let's give every player and team some type of trophy and extra cash by raising ticket prices for participating while making millions. We don't want to have anyone feel left out or ignored. LOL. Maybe next year we will see........OMLB, Occupy Major League Baseball, no team ownership, players rights only, no ticket prices, free parking and the demand that society make it a duty to ensure that every fan who wants to see a game, is transported there free in comfort and style , and yes, large dugouts so fans can site alongside the players to feel their democratic need to be included is as close as it can get. I will probably get slammed by some for this post, but I am expressing my right to freedom of speech to make a point and have some fun.
    Posted by LeftyGrove[/QUOTE]WE HAVE A  B I N G O   HERE........   MY GOSH, AS I WAS READING YOUR POST I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING ABOUT  "OCCUPY" AND TODAYS FALLING DOWN IN AMERICA !!!......  ANYWHO,  GLAD TO SEE THAT IM NOT THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE THAT SHARES THAT VISION.......   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: RED SOX NATION, LONGING FOR BASEBALL DAYS GONE BYE. WHEN D D EISENHOWER,CURT GOWDY,JOHHNY CASH, & BOB HOPE....:
    [QUOTE]Bill-806, times seemed simpler back then. We would be playing little league and/or pick-up games, anywhere we could throw together a field and then rush to someone's house to watch the Game of the Week on NBC.  Rarely do I see kids creating a pick up game of baseball. When I played, it was for competition, sport, replicating a play of your hero. We didn't play because mom or dad thought we were the next multi-millionaire project in town.  Watching the Sox for my first time in 1966, I had my hero in Yaz,  Boomer and the rest of the guys who in 1967, did the impossible. Then add the Grit and Leadership of Fisk, the oddball thoughts of a very tough pitcher in Bill Lee, and El Tiante, etc.,  character, ability. Every year after 1967 hoping and then hoping again and then hoping again. What I see too much of on the board as Jim fromFlorida, writes, the sense of entitlement of new fans. Short term memory, no allegiance/patience. The same way this stupid extra wild card team creates another level of less than excellence  as being acceptable.  What next, let's give every player and team some type of trophy and extra cash by raising ticket prices for participating while making millions. We don't want to have anyone feel left out or ignored. LOL. Maybe next year we will see........OMLB, Occupy Major League Baseball, no team ownership, players rights only, no ticket prices, free parking and the demand that society make it a duty to ensure that every fan who wants to see a game, is transported there free in comfort and style , and yes, large dugouts so fans can site alongside the players to feel their democratic need to be included is as close as it can get. I will probably get slammed by some for this post, but I am expressing my right to freedom of speech to make a point and have some fun.
    Posted by LeftyGrove[/QUOTE]

players rights only, no ticket prices, free parking and the demand that society make it a duty to ensure that every fan who wants to see a game, is transported there free in comfort and style , and yes, large dugouts so fans can site alongside the players to feel their democratic need to be included is as close as it can get.

I'm not slamming you, just making my own comment. No ticket prices, free parking? Sure -- and all the fans will see is an empty field. Do you really think the players are going to be out there playing for nothing? Just because the MLBPA is a union, it doesn't mean the players are oppressed workers like 19th century coal miners. The players are millionaires in their own right and the worst of them are just as greedy as the worst owners and the best of them are no better than the best owners.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The paradox here with this thread is that while going to a major sporting event has become quite expensive, the access to watch games has become much more readily available to the average consumer.

And as for simpler times, they only seem so in hindsight. Those who lived in the moment longed for the good old days too. The 50's in particular was a time of great fear, apartheid in America and RS baseball really wasn't very good at all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWiIYW_fBfY

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWiIYW_fBfY
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE] THANKS DEVILDAVE..... THAT WAS A  B I N G O !!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I'll pass on the 50's and pre 67' Sox. Those of the lilly white ballplayers with a sucession of drunks as managers. You realize that Willie Mays had a brief try-out with the Sox but was deemed lacking the ability to play for mighty Sox. It was never the curse of the Bambino, but the curse of Tom Yawkey, that kept the Sox rooted to mediocrity at best all those years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I watch games on my 55" LED TV for $1 per game. The Sox have a decent chance to win it every year. In the old days the Sox might have been on TV three times per season on Saturday afternoons and the Yanks usually won the pennant before the season started. Why does Bill806 start so many stupid threads?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Posted by LeftyGrove[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed your post.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]I watch games on my 55" LED TV for $1 per game. The Sox have a decent chance to win it every year. In the old days the Sox might have been on TV three times per season on Saturday afternoons and the Yanks usually won the pennant before the season started. Why does Bill806 start so many stupid threads?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

That also must have been when they didn't even have playoffs. Talk about walking into a championship.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Its tough with the Wild Card... you could play .600 ball all season, win your division by 10 games, have the best overall record in all the majors, and then get whipped by some .545 team that only got to .500 in late August, and after playing 2/3 its season with its head up its azz. Unrewarding? Yes. Not fun? Yes. Fair? Not really.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]The paradox here with this thread is that while going to a major sporting event has become quite expensive, the access to watch games has become much more readily available to the average consumer. And as for simpler times, they only seem so in hindsight. Those who lived in the moment longed for the good old days too. The 50's in particular was a time of great fear, apartheid in America and RS baseball really wasn't very good at all.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
    The topic is too large for debate here ( that's my point ), but a term like, say, "happy days" on the hand or "great fear" and "apartheid" on the other are crude simplifications that distort the sociology of the period. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]I watch games on my 55" LED TV for $1 per game. The Sox have a decent chance to win it every year. In the old days the Sox might have been on TV three times per season on Saturday afternoons and the Yanks usually won the pennant before the season started. Why does Bill806 start so many stupid threads?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]SORRY OH GREAT WISE ONE.... BEING THE SMART LIB/LEFT THAT YOU PROBABLY ARE, THE QUESTION BEGS TO BE ASKED.....  WHY DID YOU RESPOND ????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Lawrence Lucchino, (born September 6, 1945 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) is the current President and CEO of the Boston Red Sox, and a member of John W. Henry's ownership group.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Lawrence Lucchino, (born September 6, 1945 in Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania ) is the current President and CEO of the Boston Red Sox , and a member of John W. Henry 's ownership group.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]IS THIS ANYWAY TO START A MONDAY MORNING ??? PLEASE TAKE OUT YOUR CONCERNS WITH THE CAT !!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]GOOD ONE UTICA !!!!!  IT'S MUCH MORE FUN WHEN WE BRING A SENSE OF HUMOR TO THIS BOARD !!!  ENJOY !!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, the days when many familes could get by on one income.

Yeah, the days when those who made over $100K paid an 85% tax rate.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, the days when many familes could get by on one income. Yeah, the days when those who made over $100K paid an 85% tax rate.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]  SOON TO BE RETURNING, IF THE "BIG O" GETS HIS WAY !!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Bob Hope. I can remember back in 1971 when he came to put on a show for us at camp eagle in RVN.......with his host of hotties.