Red Sox Nation Tips Their Cap To Jorge Posada -retiring

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Red Sox Nation Tips Their Cap To Jorge Posada -retiring

Sux getting old

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Nation Tips Their Cap To Jorge Posada -retiring:
    [QUOTE]With Posada retiring, that leaves Kevin Youkillis as the only remaining MLB player who truly believes they have never actually taken a strike. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]
    OMG...I actually think Youk pales in comparison to Jorge on the Whineometer metric...Lol funny but so true about Posada, especially in the waning years...

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Class act all the way...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Nation Tips Their Cap To Jorge Posada -retiring:
    Posada, retiring at the right time = CLASS Varitek, Wakefield hanging around too long = not CLASS Thanks, Jorge. Wish you could have played on our team.
    Posted by redsoxwho

Softy alert

Yeah, mr. hanky will probably say VTek should show the "class" Jorge did his last season in NY.

I won't get into CERA and team winning % with Posada; it would only cause 16 pages of mr. hanky's finest.

I won't get into AIG insurance; I wouldn't want to hear about how Mikey was softy's fave player.

I won't mention any .714 OPS; softy would twist it into being better than VTek's.

I won't mention the 15% CS rate; cause we all knoe SBs are way over-rated.

I, on the other hand, will tip my cap to Jorge. The guy could rake!
    19+ Hrs for 8 straight years! (9 out of 10)
    162 game line:  .273  24  94  (35 2Bs)  OBP: 373/ Slg% .474/ OPS .848
    Welcome to the HOF!

Congrats!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to  Re: Red Sox Nation Tips Their Cap To Jorge Posada -retiring : Posada, retiring at the right time = CLASS Varitek, Wakefield hanging around too long = not CLASS Thanks, Jorge. Wish you could have played on our team. Posted by redsoxwho Softy alert Yeah, mr. hanky will probably say VTek should show the "class" Jorge did his last season in NY. I won't get into CERA and team winning % with Posada; it would only cause 16 pages of mr. hanky's finest. I won't get into AIG insurance; I wouldn't want to hear about how Mikey was softy's fave player. I won't mention any .714 OPS; softy would twist it into being better than VTek's. I won't mention the 15% CS rate; cause we all knoe SBs are way over-rated. I, on the other hand, will tip my cap to Jorge. The guy could
     rake! 19+ Hrs for 8 straight years! (9 out of 10) 162 game line:  .273  24  94  (35 2Bs)  OBP: 373/ Slg% .474/ OPS .848 Welcome to the HOF! Congrats!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    nice post

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

I'm hearing/reading all this stuff about how Jorgie is "in the hall of fame cnversation."  I'm a Yankee fan, but is he really more than just "in the conversation?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I'm hearing/reading all this stuff about how Jorgie is "in the hall of fame cnversation."  I'm a Yankee fan, but is he really more than just "in the conversation?"
    Posted by LS350[/QUOTE]

His offensive numbers actually do stack up to some HoF catchers, but I would agree, he is on the outside looking in. But a great career none the less and extremely classy thread OP.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

BryanHoch

Fact from Yanks playoff guide: Of the 13 catchers in the Hall, only Yogi has better numbers than Posada in all 3 categories of BA, HR & RBI.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I'm hearing/reading all this stuff about how Jorgie is "in the hall of fame cnversation."  I'm a Yankee fan, but is he really more than just "in the conversation?"
    Posted by LS350[/QUOTE]

100% lock for HOF, probably on 1st or 2nd ballot.

1998-2010 Catchers:
    OPS
    1) Piazza .891
    2) Mauer .888
    3) Posada .861
    (McCann, VMart, Napoli, Lopez, Soto, IRod, Lieberthal...)

OBP
    1) Mauer  .407
    2) Posada .379
    3) VMart   .469

HR
    1) Piazza  259
    2) Posada 255

RBI
    1) Posada  996
    2) IRod       896

Runs
    1) IRod       895
    2) Posada  836

Playoffs (not great):
    492 PAs  .248  11  42
    .358/.387/.745

Defense: A demanding position that takes its toll on hitting.
    8 straight seasons with over 130 games catching (2000-2007).
    Almost 13,000 career innings as a catcher!
    Career CS%: 28%, but not known for his defense or CERA related skills.

People expect too much hitting from the catcher position

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smartacus. Show Smartacus's posts

Posada was a fine player and while I hated watching him beat the Sox, man seemed to be a pretty class act most of his career. People don't always adjust well to aging, so I'll give him a pass on last year.

I don't think he's a HOF'er, though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He doesn't need anything from me.  Did you see his wife?  The only human uglier then him is Youk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Nation Tips Their Cap To Jorge Posada -retiring : 100% lock for HOF, probably on 1st or 2nd ballot. 1998-2010 Catchers: OPS 1) Piazza .891 2) Mauer .888 3) Posada .861 (McCann, VMart, Napoli, Lopez, Soto, IRod, Lieberthal...) OBP 1) Mauer  .407 2) Posada .379 3) VMart   .469 HR 1) Piazza  259 2) Posada 255 RBI 1) Posada  996 2) IRod       896 Runs 1) IRod       895 2) Posada  836 Playoffs (not great): 492 PAs  .248  11  42 .358/.387/.745 Defense: A demanding position that takes its toll on hitting. 8 straight seasons with over 130 games catching (2000-2007). Almost 13,000 career innings as a catcher! Career CS%: 28%, but not known for his defense or CERA related skills. People expect too much hitting from the catcher position

I don't think he's a HOFer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Nation Tips Their Cap To Jorge Posada -retiring : I don't think he's a HOFer.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I agree. Helluva bat, called a good game, had a good arm until the injury, but not what you would call a great defensive catcher.

And multiple brain farts running the bases and being picked off.

A positive locker room presence and I for one believe AJ's black eye came from the fist of Jorge. Jmo though.

Glad he chose retirement, one of those guys who didn't belong in another uniform.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan68. Show BostonFan68's posts

A hall of fame catcher retires. Posada was a class act throughout his career with the Yanks. It's not often a player plays out their whole career in one place, especially with the Sox or Yanks. Going to miss his gritty play. Highly respected this guy in what hes done on and off the field. Another Sox fan tips his cap to Jorge. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Nation Tips Their Cap To Jorge Posada -retiring : 100% lock for HOF, probably on 1st or 2nd ballot. 1998-2010 Catchers: OPS 1) Piazza .891 2) Mauer .888 3) Posada .861 (McCann, VMart, Napoli, Lopez, Soto, IRod, Lieberthal...) OBP 1) Mauer  .407 2) Posada .379 3) VMart   .469 HR 1) Piazza  259 2) Posada 255 RBI 1) Posada  996 2) IRod       896 Runs 1) IRod       895 2) Posada  836 Playoffs (not great): 492 PAs  .248  11  42 .358/.387/.745 Defense: A demanding position that takes its toll on hitting. 8 straight seasons with over 130 games catching (2000-2007). Almost 13,000 career innings as a catcher! Career CS%: 28%, but not known for his defense or CERA related skills. People expect too much hitting from the catcher position
    Nice job, Moon....Your mastery of stats is a little scary at times..I always assumed that Posada would not make it, unless he received special consideration because he played during the successful Yankee years, and saw the post-season...What about his post-season stats....not sure how good they are....Again, I love Posada, but I never thought he was a HOF lock...Very surprised if you turn out to be right, which mostly you are...

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A little more perspective on just how hard it is for catchers to hit well in MLB:
    in the 11 years from 1998 to 2010, there were 43 catchers with more than 2,000 PAs. As I mentioned, Jorge was 2nd in OBP (.379) and 3rd in OPS (.861), but when you look at how most other catchers did in that timeframe, you'll see why Posada was so dominant:

After the top 3: Piazza (.891), Mauer (.888), and Posada (.861) it drops off fast...
    McCann .849
    VMart    .838
    J.Lopez .831
    IRod       .816
    Lieber.   .794
    VTek       .778
    C.John.  .770
    Martin    .761
    AJ Pier.  .747
    R. Hern  .747
    LoDuca  .746
    #15 Miller   .742
    #20 Buck    .722
    #25 LaRue  .712
    #30 Mayne .700
    #35 Hall      .671
    #40 Blanco .652

As you can see, catchers do not hit well...Posada did.
    The 3rd best OPS, Posada, was 100 points better than #11 Martin
    150 points better than #25 LaRue
    and almost 200 points better than the 35th best hitting catcher 
    in this 11 year span.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Not sure about HOF, but Posada did have impact. 

Saw him play the Jays at the SkyDome (now the Rogers Centre) in TO and he had several flubs, one passed ball, but we all have bad days.  Saw him several times in the Bronx and he was certainly better at home than on the road.

For the record, Tek was a better game caller and handler, IMO, though Posada could certainly hit better than Tek.

More to the point, as others are saying, the Core of Four is down to Two.

The only sure HOFers from that group are still playing, though uknown how long, IMO, and it is certain that they will go in the HOF on their first ballots. 

No criticism implied, just sayin'.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think people fail to grasp the significance of positional comparative value.

Don't expect catcher to hit like Pujols. As great as Pujols is and has been look at how much better he was than those other 1Bmen of the last 11 years:
    1) Pujols  1.037
    2) Helton   .978
    3) Thome   .960
    4) Giambi   .957
    5) Berkm   .954
    6) Miggy    .950
    7) Delgado.947
    8) Bagwell.929
    9) Fielder  .929
    10) Howard .928
    11) Palmeiro.916
    12) Teixeira .904
    13) AGon       .889
    14) Youk       .883
    #20  .872
    #25  .834
    #30  .808
    #35  .778
    #40  .761

Compare this to the hitting of catchers. (see above) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]Not sure about HOF, but Posada did have impact.  Saw him play the Jays at the SkyDome (now the Rogers Centre) in TO and he had several flubs, one passed ball, but we all have bad days.  Saw him several times in the Bronx and he was certainly better at home than on the road. For the record, Tek was a better game caller and handler, IMO, though Posada could certainly hit better than Tek.   More to the point, as others are saying, the Core of Four is down to Two. The only sure HOFers from that group are still playing, though uknown how long, IMO, and it is certain that they will go in the HOF on their first ballots.  No criticism implied, just sayin'.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]
         Nice post, summer.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I tip my cap to you Jorge. you are a class act and I wish you the best for you and your family. especially your little boy.