Red Sox Nation tips their caps to Carl Crawford

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Re: Red Sox Nation tips their caps to Carl Crawford

WEEI:

Red Sox leftfielder Carl Crawford had arguably the biggest hit of his short tenure in Boston Sunday when he punched a walk-off single up the middle off Seattle reliever Jamey Wright in the bottom of the ninth to lead the home team to a 3-2 win. The single scored Jed Lowrie, who had reached third base after Seattle rightfielder Ichiro Suzuki lost the ball in the afternoon Fenway sun. The walk-off was Crawford's seventh in his 10-year career but was his first for Boston since signing with the team last winter.

Crawford had been struggling in the early going with .155 batting average in April and had been moved from the top of the lineup all the way to eighth by the end of the month. After the game, he displayed his hope that the walk-off could lead to bigger and better things down the road. 

"Everything I hit, it seems like it’s an out," said Crawford. "So to see it get through it’s like a big weight was off my shoulders. It just felt good that it was a game-winning hit, and we could celebrate afterwards."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's very easy to be frustrated at players who are underperforming but I guarantee it affects Crawford more than it does us.  I'm pretty sure most people who are frustrated with Crawford aren't losing any sleep at night over this, maybe he's not but I'm sure it's on his mind.

Crawford is obviously a much better hitter than he has shown to date.  Today's game winning hit my be the kinda spark that can jump start a season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Nation tips their caps to Carl Crawford:
    [QUOTE]WEEI: Red Sox leftfielder Carl Crawford had arguably the biggest hit of his short tenure in Boston Sunday when he punched a walk-off single up the middle off Seattle reliever Jamey Wright in the bottom of the ninth to lead the home team to a 3-2 win. The single scored Jed Lowrie, who had reached third base after Seattle rightfielder Ichiro Suzuki lost the ball in the afternoon Fenway sun. The walk-off was Crawford's seventh in his 10-year career but was his first for Boston since signing with the team last winter. Crawford had been struggling in the early going with .155 batting average in April and had been moved from the top of the lineup all the way to eighth by the end of the month. After the game, he displayed his hope that the walk-off could lead to bigger and better things down the road.  "Everything I hit, it seems like it’s an out," said Crawford. "So to see it get through it’s like a big weight was off my shoulders. It just felt good that it was a game-winning hit, and we could celebrate afterwards."
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

"Arguably the biggest hit?" That's like saying, "France is arguably in Europe." What would even come close?

Let this be the beginning of something, Carl.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If you guys paid me 142 million you could say whatever you want to me.  In fact, some of you do that now for free!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Red Sox Nation tips their caps to Carl Crawford:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations Carl. We know you're trying hard to be successful. And today is just the beginning of a great career with our beloved Sox. We're all rooting for you.
    Posted by DPapiOrtiz[/QUOTE]

OOOOOPS!!!!!   How'd I miss this!  Sorry!

Great job CC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I think he's ready to break out!?!?  Huge hit!  Packed with unbelievable internal & external pressure!!!!!!!

Time to get over the $$$$$ thing!!!!!  The kid earned the right to sign a BIG contract in MLB!~!!  Most of us could not have been more excited when we heard the news.....

GREAT JOB CC!!!!!!   Welcome to Boston :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Come on now!  This thread deserves several hundred "WAY TO GO CC" posts....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Time to jump back on this bandwagon!  He's about to take off!!!!

Don't be caught jumpin back on later.....

Come on!  This kid needs our support  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I don't mean to bash Crawford at all with this post, but I just watched the replay and he got lucky.

The problem that he's been having is that he's letting his front shoulder fly open when he swings, this is not part of his natural swing and is a non-issue during bp, where he's been crushing the ball.  On the game winning hit, his shoulder still flew open.

Hopefully this hit will help him relax and start to address this mechanical issue in games.

Either way, it was great to see him come through with a 2 hit day (including the game winner).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]I don't mean to bash Crawford at all with this post, but I just watched the replay and he got lucky. The problem that he's been having is that he's letting his front shoulder fly open when he swings, this is not part of his natural swing and is a non-issue during bp, where he's been crushing the ball.  On the game winning hit, his shoulder still flew open. Hopefully this hit will help him relax and start to address this mechanical issue in games. Either way, it was great to see him come through with a 2 hit day (including the game winner).
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Lou Merloni made the same point on "The Baseball Show" this morning.  Great show by the way.  I haven't watched the replay yet, but I don't doubt this.  That is a recurrent problem for guys with the open stance, especially one as open as Carl's.

Good point JB!

We can only assume that the batting coaches are working on this with him.  I haven't heard much from them????????  Keeping a low profile these days...... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Having said that.................... Still, Great job Carl!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Hits breed confidence, even lucky hits.  Success breeds success. 

So much of baseball is psychological.  Sometimes all it takes is a lucky break to get a guy believing that he can hit, and if he believes it he can.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Nation tips their caps to Carl Crawford : Lou Merloni made the same point on "The Baseball Show" this morning.  Great show by the way.  I haven't watched the replay yet, but I don't doubt this.  That is a recurrent problem for guys with the open stance, especially one as open as Carl's. Good point JB! We can only assume that the batting coaches are working on this with him.  I haven't heard much from them????????  Keeping a low profile these days...... 
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

There was actually an interview aired during the game today on NESN, where they talked to the hitting coach about this issue.  Basically, it's not a problem during BP or while hitting off a tee or taking flips, but as soon as it's a game situation it happens.  It really just seems like he needs to relax at the plate during games.  Hopefully this walk off will give him the confidence to do just that.

The replay is available on mlb.com if you're interested.  The first replay that came up in the sequence was the walkoff hit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I thought they were tipping their beers to him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Good sign from Crawford.  After throwing open his shoulder on the cue shot single in his first AB, he kept the shoulder in on his "double" to left.  I use quotes because there's no reason that should have been a double, Wells just watched it roll by him.  Still counts though Smile.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m