Red Sox need a catcher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

Red Sox need a catcher

Pierzynski  looks old and unreliable behind the plate at list Christian V can catch and throw. We are not going anywhere with Pierzynski dropping balls Salty was much better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: Red Sox need a catcher

No    Dick Tracy, at least someone sees

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

This forum will be gone before AJ is. And that could be any day now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I see the Marlins have a shiny new catcher off to a great start.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Ya never liked the aj signing from the beginning, he is brutal defensively. Going with 2 old catchers was asking for trouble and made little sense. We have Vasquez in aaa hitting well and playing great d, call him up and let him take over the starting job. This team needs to make some changes and start winning games before we fell even further back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The old adage it's tough to repeat. We thought before the old guys were added last year it was to be a bridge year--this is the bridge year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The old adage it's tough to repeat. We thought before the old guys were added last year it was to be a bridge year--this is the bridge year. 

Last year was a bridge year, this year is too we are just on a different point of the bridge and much closer to the other side. 

I find it very annoying (and I'm not accusing you of doing this) that people often mis interpret the ideal "bridge year"  Bridge year is NOT synonymous with not being competitive.  Again bridge year is not Synonymous with not competing.

Bridge year is like going out and signing Stephen Drew to a one year contract because you feel that Xander Bogaerts will start there the following year, etc etc etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to FantaSox's comment:

Pierzynski  looks old and unreliable behind the plate at list Christian V can catch and throw. We are not going anywhere with Pierzynski dropping balls Salty was much better.

The sox and many got too caught up in the performances of players in the post season.  Salty was a reliable player trusted by the pitchers.  As much as I like Boggy, not many  plays came to him in the WS.  Now we are seeing just how important defense in the infield can be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

We had a catcher who was great at handling the pitchers, calling pitches and framing balls. All very important qualities in a catcher which cannot be quantified in a stat.

However, everyone complained about him because he wasn't good at offense( never understand why people expect the catcher to also excel in offense. They also complained because he struggled to throw out baserunners stealing. Never mind how many base runners he helped prevent in the first place.

People were only concerned about the things they could quantify and now the guy who should have been catching Lester last night is playing for the Marlins.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I didnt like lettng Salty go either. Wasnt a fan of AJs D and A sub 300 OBP last year.

as far as Xander and JBJ goes. This is what happens when you let young players play. They airmail balls to the cutoff man, kick a groundballs, base running goofs, etc. thats what you get playing the kids. Its ok and will improve, but its to be expected. Both Xander and JBJ have made their fair share so far, but they will both get better throughout the year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

GREAT post lefty. 

unfortunately Salty's fate was sealed when he airmailed that throw to 3rd in the WS....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Forget Salty.  I doubt seriously the pitching staff in the offseason was clamoring to have him back.  

That said, I am stunned at just how bad an experienced catcher like Pierzynski can be.  I accepted he won't get walked, that maybe he won't throw a lot of runners out.  But passed balls and errors on throws?  And anything in the dirt is odds on a wild pitch because he can't be bothered.  

That said, it's April.  I am sure the head shed is talking about possible moves, and bringing up someone, probably Vazquez, from Pawtucket.  Just not right now.  

Overall, the hitting remains in the doldrums--Sox offense is still in the bottom half of the AL.  

And now the starters are rolling over and playing dead.  Lester, 8 runs in under 5 innings, who woulda thunk?

I catalog the other ills because I doubt that dumping Pierzynski is going to turn this team around.  

What worries me is that getting Middlebrooks and Victorino back won't help much either.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to FantaSox's comment:

Christan V .. Has rocket arm  and even if he would hit around 250 that would be way better then the retirement home behind the plate..... Where is all the love gone? Lesters birthday bash for wife was couples only? Napoli wasn't invited because he's single? Did Sox use all their love last year and now are each man for themselves? Just seems funny . Ortiz needs to get a group hug going or a few azz  kickings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ben let ells,drew, and salty walk from last years championship squad...thats 1/3 of the starters...im not a big fan of drews and he punched his ticket out with that silly QO rejection but a starter is a starter...ells may have wanted and gotten too much money but letting salty walk given his age, power, and salary agreement just confuses me ...then when you factor in injuries you have more than 50% turnover in the starting 9....what do you expect from that record-wise? 

As always - 100% correct!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

GREAT post lefty. 

unfortunately Salty's fate was sealed when he airmailed that throw to 3rd in the WS....

[object HTMLDivElement]

The throw could have been caught, and nobody even thinks twice about Salty's D.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

ben let ells,drew, and salty walk from last years championship squad...thats 1/3 of the starters...im not a big fan of drews and he punched his ticket out with that silly QO rejection but a starter is a starter...ells may have wanted and gotten too much money but letting salty walk given his age, power, and salary agreement just confuses me ...then when you factor in injuries you have more than 50% turnover in the starting 9....what do you expect from that record-wise? 

As always - 100% correct!

I think we all know why Ells, Drew, and Salty were allowed to leave.  Too much money, Bogearts, and catching on the farm, in that order.  The FO overrated JBJ and Bogeart's defense, and AJP is a one year (maybe less) stopgap measure to get to Vaz and then maybe Swihart.

I have no problem with JBJ.  His defense isn't flawless but his weaknesses are little things that he has he ability and athleticism to overcome.  His offense is what it is now and it shows signs of improving.

Frankly I expected more defense from Bogearts and AJP than we're getting but as I've said before, those two guys may be what you get when you fill a spot with a player just because he can hit.  

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

We had a catcher who was great at handling the pitchers, calling pitches and framing balls. All very important qualities in a catcher which cannot be quantified in a stat.

However, everyone complained about him because he wasn't good at offense( never understand why people expect the catcher to also excel in offense. They also complained because he struggled to throw out baserunners stealing. Never mind how many base runners he helped prevent in the first place.

People were only concerned about the things they could quantify and now the guy who should have been catching Lester last night is playing for the Marlins.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Although Salty's mechanics might have been poor, he was also good at blocking pitches in the dirt.

His offense was top 10 in MLB for a catcher.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

My suggestion-FWIW--

1. Size was a nice experiment--he's been given time off---when or does he ever play fulltime? Are we getting him back in playing shape so he can get a nice contract from someone next year? My suggestion look for a trade partner for Size.

2. Nava may have reached the Zenith and now goes into free-fall. If he has one more option I suggest BenC use it when Vic is ready to come back.

3. When WMB is ready who goes--as I've said before--BenC does not have a great trade record. Unfortunately he and JF seem to think Jonny Gomes needs to stay--which would tell me Size, WMB, Carp, Herrera or Holt will be moved--unless Buch has a mysterious DL ailment that will put him in DL Limbo until July.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I don't think it is fair to talk about JBJ and Xander in the same defensive discussion.  JBJ has already gunned down the guy he replaced on a play that no one else on the sox makes, and just a few in MLB might make.  JBJ is quickly getting cheers from the outfield fans. 

Xander has 2 errors on the season and that number could easily be more.  JBJ is as good as Jacoby was in the outifield and as we have seen is great in right too.  JBJ's arm is better than jacoby which no one will dispute.  Xander is not better than drew in the field and may not ever achieve that distinction. 

As far as base blunders go, JBJ gets more attention at first than Xander from the pitchers and I don't think has killed an inning like Xander did the other night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Good point about quantifying. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

GREAT post lefty. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

The throw could have been caught, and nobody even thinks twice about Salty's D.

agree 100%.  i think that WMB should have at least knocked that ball down.  i said as much the day after.  but it is what it is.  perception is reality and Salty is the villain.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

But Boston wouldnt go more than two years offer to Salty cuz he cant catch.  At the same time Boston knew there is couple guys along with Larvanway down in the farm system who could be a starting catcher for the 2015 season.  Plus Ben C knew he need another catcher to share the duty with Ross, and Lavarnway havent been hitting well in years.  So Ben saw AJP being available at the same time he never had a terrible year with anyone.  Now he seem he is having a hard time this year.  Maybe he is not use to be under the pressure front of sold out crowds at Fenway Park. 

Give him some time, and he ll get better!!

Catching is not the main problem.  It is the starting rotation right now!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

The good news is, the "NEXT CARLTON FISK " IS WAITING FOR THE CALL..........  RYAN LAVARNWAY !!

I feel better already knowing Lavarnway and his .633 OPS in Triple-A are waiting for the call.

Wait...you know he's a first baseman now, right?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Forget Salty.  I doubt seriously the pitching staff in the offseason was clamoring to have him back.  

That said, I am stunned at just how bad an experienced catcher like Pierzynski can be.  I accepted he won't get walked, that maybe he won't throw a lot of runners out.  But passed balls and errors on throws?  And anything in the dirt is odds on a wild pitch because he can't be bothered.  

That said, it's April.  I am sure the head shed is talking about possible moves, and bringing up someone, probably Vazquez, from Pawtucket.  Just not right now.  

Overall, the hitting remains in the doldrums--Sox offense is still in the bottom half of the AL.  

And now the starters are rolling over and playing dead.  Lester, 8 runs in under 5 innings, who woulda thunk?

I catalog the other ills because I doubt that dumping Pierzynski is going to turn this team around.  

What worries me is that getting Middlebrooks and Victorino back won't help much either. 

I agree with most of this. I'd say I'm surprised that Pierzynski has been this bad (I expected not great, but at least competent results offensively and defensively), but it is so early and he is hardly the only guy struggling badly. An awful lot has gone wrong over the last several weeks. My only hope is that it can't go on like this for long...

Sections
Shortcuts