Red Sox need to be Honest...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Red Sox need to be Honest...

exactly what i said last week about the culture of secrecy that's becoming the trademark of this failed organization...

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2012/10/the_red_sox_owe_their_manageri.html

The Red Sox do not owe their managing job to Tim Wallach or Tony Pena or anybody else, but they do owe each of their official candidates one thing.

Straight talk.

Maybe that is being delivered to the nominees, who now number at least four. Wallach, Pena, DeMarlo Hale and Brad Ausmus have either been interviewed or are expected to go through the process.

If a report by the Boston Globe's Peter Abraham has any teeth, however, the Red Sox are in danger of dancing the same fandango they displayed last year.

That is when several candidates were paraded in and out of Boston (and in front of media), only to learn that Bobby Valentine was at the end of the conga line and would get the job.

The Globe report says the Red Sox still want John Farrell, the Toronto manager who made his mark as Boston pitching coach from 2000-2010.

According to "major league sources,'' in the Abraham story, Farrell tops the list - assuming the Red Sox can persuade the Blue Jays to release Farrell before his contract expires at the end of 2013.

That could depend on whether Red Sox president Larry Lucchino can "broker an agreement'' with Paul Beeston, the president of the Blue Jays.

Shades of last year, when the interviews wound up looking like a warmup act before Valentine was brought on stage.

Gene Lamont in particular seemed to be left hanging. Most analysts did not expect Lamont to be the man, but he apparently expected at least to be told, one way or the other.

Dale Sveum got so far as to dine with the owners and receive the support of general manager Ben Cherington. Not good enough, the owners said.

Sveum went to the Cubs, where everyone says he was one of the few brights spots on a team that knew it was terrible and needed time (and the right manager, which they still think is him) to get better.

Having learned something from last year's mistakes, the Red Sox want their search to move forward expediently.

That is hard to do with Farrell, given his contract status. The easy solution would be to cross Farrell off the list, but Boston won't do that if he is No. 1 on the list.

Meanwhile, the other candidates presumably want to believe they are not wasting their time. According to ESPN.com, Wallach said he was confident the Red Sox viewed him as "a serious candidate.''

It says something about the process that this question must even be asked.

If Lucchino is truly involved with Beeston, or about to be, the Red Sox president's Rasputin-like influence behind the scenes is still part of the show.

Valentine was Lucchino's idea, too. Red Sox fans should hope that if Farrell is Lucchino's choice now, he is also Cherington's.

If not, the general manager could be stuck with a manager that was not of his choosing, an awkward situation that Valentine and Cherington (though not Lucchino) spent all summer working out.

The Red Sox handled the process poorly last year, and not just because it was Valentine who was picked.

They have learned not to dawdle. Left unproven is whether they have learned how to interview candidates with candor and integrity, as opposed to dragging them to Boston when someone entirely different is waiting in the wings.

If they haven't, they could add to a growing and disturbing reputation as an organization that deals in deception and not truth, and is therefore best avoided.

That will not only hurt them in future searches, but it's unnecessary and just plain wrong.

Maybe they are negotiating in an upfront, straightforward manner with the candidates. A person has to be in the conference room to know that.

All but one will be turned down. If Farrell gets the job, all of them will be turned down.

There are ways of doing that honorably and with good business practice, and ways of doing it with a convenient disregard for the people who have come to you in good faith.

For reasons of good business and also of principle, let's hope the Red Sox choose the right path, whether Farrell is waiting backstage for his intro or not.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Red Sox need to be Honest...

WHY start to be honest now?  

I can't believe at least one of the prospects hasn't asked , point blank, Is Farrell the choice if he's available?

OR the other question---Do I get full control to hire my own coaches...

#3. Who is making the final decision?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Georom,

Why would the Red Sox ever come out and say that John Farrell is their first choice, even if that is the case?!  So the Blue Jays can hold ALL of the leverage in negotiations?  By the way, since MLB requires that they interview at least one minority, they would probably recieve a significant fine and other possible sanctions if they were "honest" with everyone. 

Also, don't feel too bad for the "other" candidates.  They all get a first class trip to Boston and invaluable interview experience.  It also puts them out on the MLB radar as "considered for other managerial jobs." 

Lastly, if the other guys they interview aren't intelligent enough to ask the Sox brass about the Farrell situation, then they probably won't get a 2nd interview anyway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Honesty may not be the Sox greatest trait.

How can they still claim a sellout streak of whatever number it is when they played about 20 games last season with the stands half (or less) full.

Remy and Orsillo were trying to sell tickets for the last 1/3 of the season and yet the seats were all sold for every game?????

Or, could they have "honestly" admitted that Valentine was a joke and canned him in June when EVERYONE knew that things were not going to get any better while he was still in the dugout?

Or, could they have just fired Francona at the end of last season for his lack of team control and performance rather than bringing his marital problems and medical situations into light?

I am not sure that ownership can be trusted at this point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Honesty may not be the Sox greatest trait.

How can they still claim a sellout streak of whatever number it is when they played about 20 games last season with the stands half (or less) full.

Remy and Orsillo were trying to sell tickets for the last 1/3 of the season and yet the seats were all sold for every game?????

Or, could they have "honestly" admitted that Valentine was a joke and canned him in June when EVERYONE knew that things were not going to get any better while he was still in the dugout?

Or, could they have just fired Francona at the end of last season for his lack of team control and performance rather than bringing his marital problems and medical situations into light?

I am not sure that ownership can be trusted at this point.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure.

They can't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

This ownership is out of touch with the Boston fans. They talk to us as if we are stupid, ie; "The Varsity letter", the sellout streak, etc.

I agree that its best to not show your hand in this situation and I hope Farrell, should they sign him, doesnt cost us a good prospect.

I still this Wallach or Pena would be better candidates...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

More games from Fenway.... I am starting to dislike ownership. All good things can come to an end... so maybe this is it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This ownership is out of touch with the Boston fans. They talk to us as if we are stupid, ie; "The Varsity letter", the sellout streak, etc.

I agree that its best to not show your hand in this situation and I hope Farrell, should they sign him, doesnt cost us a good prospect.

I still this Wallach or Pena would be better candidates...

[/QUOTE]

I like Hale and Ausmus better than Farrell too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Hale has an outstanding reputation throughout baseball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

He was the guy I wanted as manager last year, and he didn't even get an interview. Of course the guy I really want this year isn't getting an interview either. I guess I'm just too far ahead of the curve. :)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I think Tek as a "special assistant" will be a huge impact. That is what harness said to me anyhow.... after all he failed as a captain so surely we should groom him as a bench coach.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

they certainly do NOT need to be honest or have our "trust".  they are a privately held "company".  they dont owe anyone the truth.  what you can decide to do is support them or not.  pay for a hat or not.  buy a ticket or not.  watch NESN or not.  to demand truth?  not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In regards to honesty ask yourself this question:

You are the owner of the RS and you have a particular guy in mind would you make that known to anyone except the executive committee of your team?

Then would you not continue to interview other candidates during the process?

Then as a candidate would you not (because you know the talk and history) ask many pertinet questions including can I bring in my own guys or oeven the Farrell question?

Every one wants it to be simple when it is not. Oe of thenterviewees may knck their sox off. Pushing Farrell off the podium. It is not a ruse to anyone of the participants in any way shape or form. Each person gets someting out of it.

Then do not forget each candidate is background checked as would be any interviewee.

Lastly not one of the interviewees will ever discuss  anything that will hinder his future managerial prospect.

It is not as simple or as honest as anyone who has gone through a highly regarded postion would know. It ain't that simple it is not like intrviewing for your new CPA position at Ernst and Ernst.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In regards to honesty ask yourself this question:

You are the owner of the RS and you have a particular guy in mind would you make that known to anyone except the executive committee of your team?

Then would you not continue to interview other candidates during the process?

Then as a candidate would you not (because you know the talk and history) ask many pertinet questions including can I bring in my own guys or oeven the Farrell question?

Every one wants it to be simple when it is not. Oe of thenterviewees may knck their sox off. Pushing Farrell off the podium. It is not a ruse to anyone of the participants in any way shape or form. Each person gets someting out of it.

Then do not forget each candidate is background checked as would be any interviewee.

Lastly not one of the interviewees will ever discuss  anything that will hinder his future managerial prospect.

It is not as simple or as honest as anyone who has gone through a highly regarded postion would know. It ain't that simple it is not like intrviewing for your new CPA position at Ernst and Ernst.

[/QUOTE]All excellent points.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Did Torre play a major role in the Cards last ring?

Did the Cards really find an equal to Torre with the snap of fingers?

Managers make very little difference.

The GM is the real difference maker.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't meet the criteria.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

if you dont think the organization should be truthful with its own fanbase that makes their profitability possible, then you deserve what you get - which is a mediocre organization with the highest ticket prices...enjoy your just desserts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

geo   What honesty do you deserve?

Do they need to tell you everything about the managerial process? That is BS.

Every interviewee knows the status when they go in. If not,  they have not done their due diligence and they are fools and not worthy candidates. The RS owe nothing to the candidates nothing at all. They do not need apply if they wish not to.

The RS also owe nothing to the fan base in regards to letting fans know how they run their daily business.

The only damn thing they owe the fans is to attempt to put the best team possible on the field.

In that regards, as it currently stands, in Boston it seems is nothing short of a WS win. RS fans will b1tch and moan if the RS win 162 games plus all playoff games and then complain if they lose the WS in 7 games. You probably leading the parade.

Currently the RS fan base (not all) is terribly spoiled.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

You pay 600 for an Ipad, 400 for an I phone does that company owe you anything when they do a CEO, CFF, or any managerial position. NO you bought the product. The RS are a product.

You are only owed the best peoduct available. If you don't get go some where els. It is that simple.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

All of us Red Sox fans are fortunate to enjoy the ups and downs of this great franchise. 

Look at the Cubs, they have not won a World Series since the stone age.  LOL

The O's finally made the playoffs since 1997.  The Blue Jays have not made the playoffs since 1993.  The Rays have one of the most depressing-looking stadiums. 

In addition, the Patriots, Bruins and Celtics have recently won a championship too.  Throw in Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Cape Cod, Quincy Market, and a bowl of clam chowder, there is nothing better than this. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I think Tek as a "special assistant" will be a huge impact. That is what harness said to me anyhow.... after all he failed as a captain so surely we should groom him as a bench coach.

[/QUOTE]

How did he "fail" as captain? Because for one month certain players did their own thing and listened to nobody but themselves? So we just forget the decade prior to that?

Tek wasnt a babysitter, and thats what those guys needed at the time. The leader of that pack (Beckett), who never listened to anyone but himself anyway, was shipped out of town this august when ownership was finally willing to admit he was a problem.

Its just funny to me how folks just discount everything that has happened prior and concentrate on that one month. The blame goes squarely on the shoulders of the so called grown men who were acting like spoiled kids. Not another grown man because he didnt "punish" those kids or couldnt "control" them...

Its like some people talk about Lester as if hes washed up because he had one bad year. Never mind the 4 years prior to that when he was in the Cy Young talks. Same idea...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

once again I was 100% correct saying that this organization was going thru a FARCE of an interview process and had already chosen JF weeks ago....its all about the brand for henry & Co...not winning....