Red Sox non-waiver deadline July 31st rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Red Sox non-waiver deadline July 31st rumors

Sean McAdam: "...an industry source has said the Sox don't figure to be big players for the veteran righthander (Matt Garza)."

"According to McAdam, the Cubs are asking for two of the Red Sox’ top pitching prospects (from a group that includes Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, Matt Barnes, Brandon Workman, Henry Owens and Anthony Ranaudo) in exchange for the veteran right-hander, a price the Sox are reportedly not willing to pay."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Red Sox non-waiver deadline July 31st rumors

BenC.  that due dilligence is over---Theo wanted to keep Garza all along. Someone would have to be crazy to think you (BenC) would give up two quality arms for two months.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal is reporting Boston’s interest in Young. According to the report, the Red Sox are among a dozen teams who have checked with Philadelphia about Michael Young. Red Sox vice president of player personnel Allard Baird reportedly scouted the Phillies in their two series before the All-Star break, according to Rosenthal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

The more I think about this, the more I like it. Just be careful who we give up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Theo is nuts if he thinks BC will give up 2 top arms for Garza. If the price on Young is modest, I could see another rule 5 player going there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We need a replacement for Bucholz and Garza ain't the guy.  I would only give up Workman for Garza.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

We need a replacement for Bucholz and Garza ain't the guy.  I would only give up Workman for Garza.  

I would only consider this if Garza would extend. 

I want to see more of Workman before considering trading him away.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He adds a real potent bat behind Papi, Napoli has been struggling, you can drop him down the line-up. Makes bottom of order stronger, he plays multiple positions, if a guy is struggling in the infield he could move over. Doesn't walk much, but he can hit.
    Struggled last year and still got 169 hits.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

It was only one game, but Workman looked very good against the A's.

I'd like to see a couple more starts from him.

Not much time before the trade deadline, unfortunately.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

If your going to get a 2 month rental Young is the guy for me. Texas is paying 10 million of his 16 million dollar salary, get an everyday Player, might not have to give up much either.

Sox biggest need at this point is protection for Papi, Young will give this. The way Napoli K's so frequently, Managers will start Pitching around Papi to get to Napoli.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Like i said it on the other post, Boston isnt going to make a trade for Garza cuz the Cubs's asking price is ridiculous too high.  I rather to keep Wright or Workman cuz one of these two could be a raw deal pitcher in the future.  Remember Boston had like Matterson, Lester, Bucholtz, Bard, among others, and Boston almost trade most of these guys for Santana or someone else.  Since Boston hold on most of them, it paid off.   

I rather to keep as many young pitchers as they can, and try to hope that at least one or two can get  into a major league level instead keep signing bunch of over-paid pitchers and ended up being suck with them such as Ryan Dempster.  Ryan Dempster is going to be hard to get rid of now cuz no one would take him unless Boston would have to eat up most of his salary.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Me too. Workman is the kind of pitcher who can go deep into games and give you a lot of innings a year. hes still improving, and even if hes not a TOTR pitcher, he looks like a solid #3 is a reality. Personally, I wouldnt move any pitching prospect right now until I see if they can help my team somehow. Unless its for an Ace type who is under control for a few years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im niot totally against Michael Young if the price is something like what we gave the CWS for Thornton. A rule 5 kid that probably wont be protected. A 1-1 deal

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I know I said some hard words on Workman, but I'm still skeptical about him since I saw him Pitch this year in Double AA, and got hit real hard against a weak hitting Rock Cats team. He got called up after this start which had me scratching my head. Next day saw Barnes pitch a 3 hitter, and had much better stuff.
    Glad he did good, but he pitched in the Grand Canyon, against a weak hitting Oakland team. Team avg. 245.
    For me the book is still open. Fenway is a different animal, so is most AL East stadiums.
    My son saw Renaudo pitch the finale, and he threw a 2 hitter, he saw Workman with me and couldn't beileve he got called up too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Ryan Dempster.  Ryan Dempster is going to be hard to get rid of now cuz no one would take him unless Boston would have to eat up most of his salary.  

I was originally against acquiring Dempster, but any fair look at his performance would show that his salary has not been wasted. (Building on a previoius thread ...)

If he'd had some run support this year his record would look much better:

----

We could only manage two runs for him in his first outing against the Yankees.

He handed off a lead against the Birds only to see Hanran blow the save.

He allowed only one earned run in seven vs the Rays only to have Bailey blow the save and pick up the win.

We couldn't manage more than two runs when he had to face KC.

He pitched seven fairly solid innings against the Twins, giving up only two earned runs. He hurt himself with a balk, but the real damage was two errors by Ciriaco, one by Salty, no run support and relief pitching not as good as him.

He earned the loss where the Jays buried him.

Gave up fewer earned runs than the relief vs the Indians, but picked up the loss.

Lost to the Phils because we couldn't muster more than one run despite seven fine innings of work.

Pitched eight brilliant innings against the Birds, but we couldn't even manage a single run for him.

Had a quality start against the Rays, but we manage only two runs.

Was in line for the win vs the Jays until Uehara's blown save.

He had a quality start against the Angels and was in line for the win until Uehara's blown save / Breslow's loss.

His start against Seattle was a a disaster and gave his ERA a significant up-tick. W/L saved by hot bats.

----

His WHIP is up and his ERA's over four, but some times stats don't tell the whole story. He has given us the chance to win some games while Buck is out and Lester is sliding.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I know I said some hard words on Workman, but I'm still skeptical about him since I saw him Pitch this year in Double AA, and got hit real hard against a weak hitting Rock Cats team. He got called up after this start which had me scratching my head. Next day saw Barnes pitch a 3 hitter, and had much better stuff.
    Glad he did good, but he pitched in the Grand Canyon, against a weak hitting Oakland team. Team avg. 245.
    For me the book is still open. Fenway is a different animal, so is most AL East stadiums.

I dont disagree with anything you said here. I think that would be most fans' perspective. They want to see more, to get a better feel for what this kid brings to the table. One bad MiL game or one good MLB game is not enough. Workman has good stuff and projects as a solid MOTR pitcher who gave give you a lot of IP.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

[QUOTE]Ryan Dempster.  Ryan Dempster is going to be hard to get rid of now cuz no one would take him unless Boston would have to eat up most of his salary.  

I was originally against acquiring Dempster, but any fair look at his performance would show that his salary has not been wasted. (Building on a previoius thread ...)

If he'd had some run support this year his record would look much better:

----

We could only manage two runs for him in his first outing against the Yankees.

He handed off a lead against the Birds only to see Hanran blow the save.

He allowed only one earned run in seven vs the Rays only to have Bailey blow the save and pick up the win.

We couldn't manage more than two runs when he had to face KC.

He pitched seven fairly solid innings against the Twins, giving up only two earned runs. He hurt himself with a balk, but the real damage was two errors by Ciriaco, one by Salty, no run support and relief pitching not as good as him.

He earned the loss where the Jays buried him.

Gave up fewer earned runs than the relief vs the Indians, but picked up the loss.

Lost to the Phils because we couldn't muster more than one run despite seven fine innings of work.

Pitched eight brilliant innings against the Birds, but we couldn't even manage a single run for him.

Had a quality start against the Rays, but we manage only two runs.

Was in line for the win vs the Jays until Uehara's blown save.

He had a quality start against the Angels and was in line for the win until Uehara's blown save / Breslow's loss.

His start against Seattle was a a disaster and gave his ERA a significant up-tick. W/L saved by hot bats.

----

His WHIP is up and his ERA's over four, but some times stats don't tell the whole story. He has given us the chance to win some games while Buck is out and Lester is sliding.

[/QUOTE]

+1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I'm not rooting against him thats for sure, hope he just keeps geting better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Would you have given up  the Rocket after one start for Garza---I''m sure not. This kid went to the same school, U Texas @ Austin and hewill fill out in about the same proportions as Roger. He's someone that I've seen pitch in Portland; he's a tough competitor. Time will tell---I would say move Barnes, Webster or Ranaudo if  you  must but keep Workman and Rubby.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The one the Sox should concentrate on is Lee. I know he's expensive but he's good and still a TORP! Tough as nails pitcher! If they are going to second level pitching wise how about making a run at Tim Lincecum? Or the unheralded Bud Norris. I wouldn't trade an old unused sack of balls to Hoyer and Theo for their soon to be free agent pitcher. As for Mike Young I'd send a rule 5 player to them in exchange but nothing more. They need a CF'r.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

My son saw Renaudo pitch the finale, and he threw a 2 hitter, he saw Workman with me and couldn't beileve he got called up too.

The problem with the Sox minor league guys is, you can't always look at one game.  They have a habit of taking away the strengths and making him use secondary and tertiary pitches.

For example, the day you saw Workman, Brandon might have been told "No fastballs today.  Use the curve and the changeup."    Well, in this case, he probably would be more hittable...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

If your going to get a 2 month rental Young is the guy for me. Texas is paying 10 million of his 16 million dollar salary, get an everyday Player, might not have to give up much either.

Sox biggest need at this point is protection for Papi, Young will give this. The way Napoli K's so frequently, Managers will start Pitching around Papi to get to Napoli.

Oh boy,  they have started already...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

forget michael young, really not at all what we need. guy is old, declining, especially defensively as he would be below average at 3B, SS and 2B. Really only 1B or a DH. Garza makes sense for this team. he is battle tested in the AL east which is exactly what we need. you look at a guy like josh johnson, ace pitcher in th NL, has got destroyed in the AL east. While i was impressed with workman's first start, garza provides us with security in the rotation. if someone gets hurt ie buchholz, we still have a good rotation without him, once he comes back, then we have one of the best rotations. we have lots of prospects, time to use some of them.

Sections
Shortcuts